Forum Jump: 
 276Likes

post #181 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
On a side note, we had a big storm up here that caused some issues with my recording so I missed some parts.

So, I headed off to CBS.com to catch the parts I missed and.......oh my friggin' God.....I felt like I had to battle through a cave full of rabid, hungry bears just to watch the show.

Seriously - not only were their commercial breaks at least 2:30 each and every time, it was the same set of commercials every...single...time. Further, I couldn't just jump to the sections I want ed to see because if I attempted to skip a section, it would get caught into a loop of only playing the commercials. So, I had to scrub to the end of the first segment, let the commercials play, scrub to whatever part I needed to watch in the second, scrub to the end of the segment, let the commercials play, scrub to the end of the third, let the commercials play, then play the portions I missed in the fourth.

These jokers had the nerve to put a link just above the video window that was labelled "player feedback".

I gave them some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
On a side note, we had a big storm up here that caused some issues with my recording so I missed some parts.

So, I headed off to CBS.com to catch the parts I missed and.......oh my friggin' God.....I felt like I had to battle through a cave full of rabid, hungry bears just to watch the show.

Seriously - not only were their commercial breaks at least 2:30 each and every time, it was the same set of commercials every...single...time. Further, I couldn't just jump to the sections I want ed to see because if I attempted to skip a section, it would get caught into a loop of only playing the commercials. So, I had to scrub to the end of the first segment, let the commercials play, scrub to whatever part I needed to watch in the second, scrub to the end of the segment, let the commercials play, scrub to the end of the third, let the commercials play, then play the portions I missed in the fourth.

These jokers had the nerve to put a link just above the video window that was labelled "player feedback".

I gave them some.

I don't see how people can stand to only watch shows online, especially CBS shows.
Stereodude and phildaant like this.
post #183 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
I don't see how people can stand to only watch shows online, especially CBS shows.
I think the same crew that does CBS's online viewer also does the CW's. They're both terrible. Too many ads and the navigation fails epically on both.

Honestly, none of them are very good at all. They all make me hate watching TV.

There have been a couple of shows in the past where I've been on the fence about not watching and the terrible experience of online viewing for whatever reason I needed to was the catalyst to dump the show completely.
post #184 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
I think the same crew that does CBS's online viewer also does the CW's. They're both terrible. Too many ads and the navigation fails epically on both.

Honestly, none of them are very good at all. They all make me hate watching TV.

There have been a couple of shows in the past where I've been on the fence about not watching and the terrible experience of online viewing for whatever reason I needed to was the catalyst to dump the show completely.
CBS' online viewing is horrible. Between that, and how the other networks ruined Hulu, they're forcing viewers back to Netflix & illegal downloads in droves.
post #185 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I had watched an episode of a couple of shows on Comcast Video On Demand, and there any attempt to move forwards or backwards causes the video to start playing from the beginning.

Between the treatment of VOD and what I read above about watching online, I think it is try to find any airing to DVR. And with some stations plastering animated ads on the show, I wonder if they really intend to drive us to waiting until Netflix has the season on DVD or streaming.

Fortunately, the two tuners of my DVR aren't over-committed for Extant's time slot.
phildaant likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #186 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That's how I interpreted it as well. His aide (also seen as "Travis" in 'Continuum' - busy guy) told him his liver could fail "any time now" and they were ready to "harvest" another one from some poor plebeian, so we can reasonably infer his physical deterioration is being kept at bay by this chamber somehow. Super-rich guy wants to live forever and is willing to do "what it takes" to accomplish that - it's a fairly common sci-fi trope.

Hold your horses... are we talking about Strain?
post #187 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's how I interpreted it as well. His aide (also seen as "Travis" in 'Continuum' - busy guy) told him his liver could fail "any time now" and they were ready to "harvest" another one from some poor plebeian, so we can reasonably infer his physical deterioration is being kept at bay by this chamber somehow. Super-rich guy wants to live forever and is willing to do "what it takes" to accomplish that - it's a fairly common sci-fi trope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Sometimes it is worth waiting for a show to come on Netflix (DVD or streaming), just so one doesn't confuse what is happening in one show with what is happening in another.

Unfortunately, waiting that long means we lose the opportunity to stick our foot in our mouth to do "water cooler" chats about the show as we are watching it.
phildaant likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #188 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Me too. The show seems to be picking up steam now. Still hate the robotic kid subplot, but assume it will all tie in eventually. And.... Halle Berry. Yum.
Wow, I read some of these recent posts and thought I was confused on which episode we were talking about. After the first episode I told my wife I wasn't even sure I wanted to continue watch it. Which shocked her because, well.... see below.

I though the second episode I thought it finally started to get interesting.

And this week? GAWD, was it boring?! Good thing we have different tastes!

"And.... Halle Berry. Yum." Of course, there is that!
phildaant likes this.
post #189 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
last episode show started to pick up and move again. Not bad for episode 3
post #190 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The kid kind of turns me off a bit, too, but I can see a lot of potential for robot creepiness - especially now that he's in school:

- There's the possibility of having him doing something animal or technology related that freaks everyone out.
- He may hurt a kid and cause the parents to do the torches and pitchforks thing.
- Another kid turns up missing and robot kid is blamed until it turns out to be completely innocent - like another relative picked the kid up or he went to a friends house without telling anyone.

However, what will likely happen is the father's female lab assistant / babysitter kidnaps robokid at some point because she seems a little crazy.

Either that, or he'll do some sort of exploration of his true nature as they develop the girlbot and he sees himself as not being a "real boy". Hopefully, there won't be a blue fairy involved....
post #191 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Sometimes it is worth waiting for a show to come on Netflix (DVD or streaming), just so one doesn't confuse what is happening in one show with what is happening in another.

Unfortunately, waiting that long means we lose the opportunity to stick our foot in our mouth to do "water cooler" chats about the show as we are watching it.
Apologies, Dominae. I had indeed combined those shows in my addled brain and created an alien hybrid. And we all know how that usually turns out.
post #192 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Apologies, Dominae. I had indeed combined those shows in my mind and created an alien hybrid. And we all know how that usually turns out.
Doctor Zee!
Star Child!
Ian Andrew Troi!
Lexy!

No danger there at all....
post #193 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Pure Speculation :

Spoiler!

Any ideas on where this is heading?

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-25-2014 at 12:06 PM.
post #194 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Or

He will somehow inhabit one of the 'bots ... which is why he is funding their creation. Oh, and the bot he will inhabit is the new one they are creating for Halle's "teenage" son.
My recollection is that his funding of their creation was to keep the whole family "close" so they can keep a very close eye on them. If it wasn't for that, the funding wouldn't have taken place, having already been rejected by the board.

My very humble setup:
post #195 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Apologies, Dominae. I had indeed combined those shows in my addled brain and created an alien hybrid. And we all know how that usually turns out.
Whew, for a minute there I thought I needed to have my batteries switched out!
post #196 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Whew, for a minute there I thought I needed to have my batteries switched out!
Try lithiums - they last longer.
post #197 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My recollection is that his funding of their creation was to keep the whole family "close" so they can keep a very close eye on them. If it wasn't for that, the funding wouldn't have taken place, having already been rejected by the board.
That's correct.

The robot kid is just a red headed stepchild herring....

He'll probably be kidnapped by the aliens who we be like, "I thought these humans were more organic...Oh, well...let's start cooking..."

*whips out a copy of "To Serve Man..."

At the last second, though, someone will utter the words "Klaatu Barada Nikto" and robokid go all samurai on them in the big bosses office using something really sharp from his collection. Then, everyone will place him on their shoulders, find the nearest hilltop and sing about their favorite soft drink.
ltownsend and gprace like this.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 07-25-2014 at 11:32 AM.
post #198 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's correct.

The robot kid is just a red headed stepchild herring....

He'll probably be kidnapped by the aliens who we be like, "I thought these humans were more organic...Oh, well...let's start cooking..."

*whips out a copy of "To Serve Man..."

At the last second, though, someone will utter the words "Klaatu Barada Nikto" and robokid go all samurai on them in the big bosses office using something really sharp from his collection. Then, everyone will place him on their shoulders, find the nearest hilltop and sing about their favorite soft drink.
If the kid is a red herring, then why is he the one forwarding the extinction story line? Clearly, since it is a part of the title credits, the extinction theme is important. And, just because "keeping them close" is the stated purpose of the financial backing of the 'bots, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is the real reason. He doesn't strike me as the transparent type ....

And is that hilltop near a collapsed bridge?
post #199 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Try lithiums - they last longer.
Or lithium ... changes your whole perspective!
post #200 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 374
I wouldn't mind the robokid elements so much if they weren't playing it in the typical horror fashion of the creepy robot that likes torturing animals as a foreshadowing of his future evil designs.

Also, John has thus far failed to explain how his robots are supposed to coexist with humans indefinitely. As far as we know, robokid has no organic parts and only "grows" when the scientists replace his body parts with larger versions, and judging from the pilot, he has an unlimited power source through his replaceable batteries. As such, we've been led to assume that he will live forever, as will others of his kind.

If robots are considered suitable replacements for human children, and John's company continues manufacturing them, the fact that humans will continue to die while the robots will not will mean that eventually the planet will be populated mostly by robots. I'm with that board member who thought John should have had a termination plan for his son, in that unless you design robots with finite lifespans to match those of humans, they can't serve as suitable replacements for children.
post #201 of 445 Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I wouldn't mind the robokid elements so much if they weren't playing it in the typical horror fashion of the creepy robot that likes torturing animals as a foreshadowing of his future evil designs.
That is standard psychology for humans .... as well.

Quote:
Also, John has thus far failed to explain how his robots are supposed to coexist with humans indefinitely. As far as we know, robokid has no organic parts and only "grows" when the scientists replace his body parts with larger versions, and judging from the pilot, he has an unlimited power source through his replaceable batteries. As such, we've been led to assume that he will live forever, as will others of his kind.
Lifespan needs to be finite ... that concept has been explored in a lot of sci fi. Big mistake to allow the kid to think that he is an exception.

Quote:
If robots are considered suitable replacements for human children, and John's company continues manufacturing them, the fact that humans will continue to die while the robots will not will mean that eventually the planet will be populated mostly by robots. I'm with that board member who thought John should have had a termination plan for his son, in that unless you design robots with finite lifespans to match those of humans, they can't serve as suitable replacements for children.
I don't see that as happening unless the world has some sort of crisis of reproduction. Humans breed like rabbits .. I give you the current population of the world and the projections for the next 20 years as example. If the extinction theme is implying human extinction, there will be some outside force. The aforementioned, or alien cleansing of the world, or robot revolt ....

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-26-2014 at 12:08 AM.
post #202 of 445 Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
If the extinction theme is implying human extinction, there will be some outside force. The aforementioned, or alien cleansing of the world, or robot revolt ....
The boy/robot did draw the spaceship with his "mother" and "father" and himself/itself in the spaceship, and did say it was to escape extinction.

But then my choice for propagating the species would be to have specimens that can reproduce, which wouldn't be this couple unless the "truth" (she was told "something more believable than the truth") made it so they can reproduce.

As far as extinction goes, there are a lot of possibilities (pandemics, WWIII, Skynet (Terminator) or Colossis (the Forbin project), runaway global warming, killer meteorite (ELE), a war of the worlds where the attackers win, Yellowstone Super Volcano Eruption, interstellar construction project that needs to go through our solar system for an intergalactic bypass, etc.), but I don't recall any specific threat mentioned yet in the show.

My very humble setup:
post #203 of 445 Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Anyone else think that the father acted a little too O.K. with the wife's pregnancy?

Maybe he's the red herring in the story. The scientist who's building mech bodies for the alien race?
phildaant likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #204 of 445 Old 07-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The boy/robot did draw the spaceship with his "mother" and "father" and himself/itself in the spaceship, and did say it was to escape extinction.

But then my choice for propagating the species would be to have specimens that can reproduce, which wouldn't be this couple unless the "truth" (she was told "something more believable than the truth") made it so they can reproduce.

As far as extinction goes, there are a lot of possibilities (pandemics, WWIII, Skynet (Terminator) or Colossis (the Forbin project), runaway global warming, killer meteorite (ELE), a war of the worlds where the attackers win, Yellowstone Super Volcano Eruption, interstellar construction project that needs to go through our solar system for an intergalactic bypass, etc.), but I don't recall any specific threat mentioned yet in the show.
"Intergalactic bypass"

Intergalactic sex cures all reproductive issues .... she's ready to be the mother of her species!

Good catch on the picture the kid drew. Unfortunately, my attention span lessens while this show is on. Hoping for better and, perhaps, some new or interesting ideas to be explored. What are the chances of that?
post #205 of 445 Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Anyone else think that the father acted a little too O.K. with the wife's pregnancy?

Maybe he's the red herring in the story. The scientist who's building mech bodies for the alien race?
He's a firm believer in immaculate conception, or, he's bad at math.
phildaant likes this.
post #206 of 445 Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Not looking good for 'Extant' as it's being moved to another time slot due to slumping ratings. So far, I kinda like the show. Feels a little like a cross between 'The X-Files' and 'A.I.'.
phildaant likes this.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #207 of 445 Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Not looking good for 'Extant' as it's being moved to another time slot due to slumping ratings. So far, I kinda like the show. Feels a little like a cross between 'The X-Files' and 'A.I.'.
Ugh, I like it at 9:00 PM PDT. Argh.

It looks like CBS.com's schedule is already updated, but TVguide.com hasn't updated. I bet a lot of Extant viewers will not know this!

Last edited by phildaant; 07-29-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #208 of 445 Old 07-29-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 115
CBS is just testing the waters to see if the numbers uptick. My Sacramento feed is an hour early so the move is from 8:00 to 9:00PM for me.
post #209 of 445 Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
CBS' online viewing is horrible. Between that, and how the other networks ruined Hulu, they're forcing viewers back to Netflix & illegal downloads in droves.
And none of you mentioned the crushed blacks, bad scaling, and poor audio.

However, a semi-careful use of Adblock Plus and NoScript will let watch shows on CBS's website without any commercials. Adblock Plus without NoScript won't work. You have to prevent the scripts from running that phone home and tell 'em you're using Adblock Plus.
phildaant likes this.
post #210 of 445 Old 07-29-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
And none of you mentioned the crushed blacks, bad scaling, and poor audio.

However, a semi-careful use of Adblock Plus and NoScript will let watch shows on CBS's website without any commercials. Adblock Plus without NoScript won't work. You have to prevent the scripts from running that phone home and tell 'em you're using Adblock Plus.
I tried NoScript a few years ago. It seems a major pain in the butt with so many things to tweak with. Is it still like that?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page