post #241 of 403 Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I could complain to CBS until I was blue in the face and they wouldn't care if I stopped watching. Just look at how long we've been complaining about the horrible snipes. Not just us, even the press have complained. Yet the networks have only made it worse.

And CBS isn't the only network to have short episodes. The CW does it as well. NY Med on ABC averages 40.5 minutes.

And they wonder why we viewers like skipping thru all of the commercials and promos.
In the future, new episodes will be even shorter if this pattern continues. Look at the old episodes from the (19)80s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 403 Old 08-01-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Much of their revenue comes from advertisements, so of course they want to minimize the program runtime so they can maximize the advertisement durations. TNT overlaps the start and end of many of the programs they show for much the same reason. Some stations even cut scenes.

For all we know they've been cutting scenes, too. Maybe we'll find out if that's been happening when the series gets released on shiny disc.
phildaant likes this.

Selden
post #243 of 403 Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Much of their revenue comes from advertisements, so of course they want to minimize the program runtime so they can maximize the advertisement durations. TNT overlaps the start and end of many of the programs they show for much the same reason. Some stations even cut scenes.

For all we know they've been cutting scenes, too. Maybe we'll find out if that's been happening when the series gets released on shiny disc.
Don't forget that they to show them during the episodes like the recent Surface products.
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #244 of 403 Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My problem with the show is I am tired of the same old storyline used in many movies and TV shows today where some "corporation" runs completely amok with no checks or balances with people that work for them with no apparent moral values. I for one am tired of it.
phildaant likes this.
post #245 of 403 Old 08-01-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Why short circuit the boy? wouldn't removing the batteries suffice?
I also want to know why he needs to eat when he has batteries. If he's advanced enough to be able to actually process organic material and turn it into energy (because Daddy Dearest wanted him to be that realistic), I also find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have artificial sweat glands of some kind so he would have a unique scent. Either they're trying to make the robots as close to real humans as possible, or they're not. It's hard for us to tell what their goals are, but that might just be because they don't have any...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post
My problem with the show is I am tired of the same old storyline used in many movies and TV shows today where some "corporation" runs completely amok with no checks or balances with people that work for them with no apparent moral values. I for one am tired of it.
I thought everybody liked reality shows?
Marc Wielage and phildaant like this.
post #246 of 403 Old 08-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I also want to know why he needs to eat when he has batteries. If he's advanced enough to be able to actually process organic material and turn it into energy (because Daddy Dearest wanted him to be that realistic), I also find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have artificial sweat glands of some kind so he would have a unique scent. Either they're trying to make the robots as close to real humans as possible, or they're not. It's hard for us to tell what their goals are, but that might just be because they don't have any...
The goal wasn't so much to create a robotic boy, but to have an artificial intelligence learn the same way humans learn because the method they were formerly using wasn't producing the AI they were hoping for. So in this case the "father" decided to put the AI into a form of a child and to learn just as children learn, which includes child-parent interactions (thus the need to treat the AI in a child-like body like a child) and child-child interactions (the need for attending school).

I am not so sure why the eating other than to simulate one set of experiences that children have Since, as you noted, if the "child" is battery-powered, there shouldn't be any need for eating or for water.

As far as distinctive aromas from "his" sweat, that was probably though as an unnecessary expense for the learning experience, especially since we normally don't notice the aroma of other humans but rather the aroma of substances they wear or are exposed to (cologne, perfume, deodorant, soap, laundry softener, cigarette smoke, etc.).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #247 of 403 Old 08-01-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 632
No matter how you cut it, the robokid doesn't work. It's the Achilles heel of this show. And as far as I can see thusfar, with the plot advanced to this point, it's unnecessary. I'd have been happier with a storyline devoted the evil megelomaniac using her to create artificial organs for his future survival or something along those lines.

And, well, Halle Berry!
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #248 of 403 Old 08-01-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
The goal wasn't so much to create a robotic boy, but to have an artificial intelligence learn the same way humans learn because the method they were formerly using wasn't producing the AI they were hoping for.
That's true, but the father has also indicated that it isn't the end goal. When he was asked about the future he saw in a few decades, he said he thought robots and humans would be sharing the planet, so he clearly doesn't consider this a limited test as a way to make his AI smarter; he seems to see it as a step towards creating an adult AI, and he plans to make more of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
And as far as I can see thusfar, with the plot advanced to this point, it's unnecessary
On the other hand, without the robokid, the husband wouldn't be very useful as a character, either, except as someone for Halle to talk to while she runs from the government.
post #249 of 403 Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-office-u...-140727051121/ shows Extant getting rescheduled to its possible series finale.
post #250 of 403 Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Don't we need to remember the only purpose for programming is to fill the time between commercials?
post #251 of 403 Old 08-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
Don't we need to remember the only purpose for programming is to fill the time between commercials?
More specifically to attract eyeballs of the right demographics to view those commercials.

If viewers of the target demographics get exasperated by the frequency or length of commercial breaks and stop viewing, the advertisers will stop advertising during that show.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #252 of 403 Old 08-06-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I also don't care for the robokid. But it might be just a casting mistake. Mikey would have been better.
post #253 of 403 Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
And with the episode only being 40:30 this week (as short as Under the Dome ), leaving lots of room for commercials and promos.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #254 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night's episode was decent. Interesting ending.
post #255 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Last night's episode was decent. Interesting ending.
Agree. And next weeks preview looks like the show is finally picking up speed.
phildaant likes this.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #256 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Agree. And next weeks preview looks like the show is finally picking up speed.
But it might be too late to get renewed? I wonder how last night's episode did.
post #257 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
And with the episode only being 40:30 this week (as short as Under the Dome ), leaving lots of room for commercials and promos.
Excessively long commercial interruptions make me feel superior. Thanks to my TiVo's ability to instantly skip 30 seconds ahead with the press of a button, I can often skip through a 5 minute commercial break in about 10 seconds. It never takes longer than 20 seconds to do it.
phildaant likes this.
post #258 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Excessively long commercial interruptions make me feel superior. Thanks to my TiVo's ability to instantly skip 30 seconds ahead with the press of a button, I can often skip through a 5 minute commercial break in about 10 seconds. It never takes longer than 20 seconds to do it.
On my HTPC, I can skip number of seconds as I press keyboard's + key once or multiple times:
Once = 30 seconds
Twice = 2 minutes
Thrice = 5 minutes

My DTV Pal DVR's skips = 30 seconds

Parents' TWC's Motorola and Arris DVRs has no skips. Only can fast forward with multiple button presses for different speeds. Also, TWC's OnDemand sucks even more. No FF and skips at all! They force you to watch the commercials.

Oh, there was one short Extant scene that had to go to commercial breaks so soon. It pissed me off. I am glad I am recording! No more live watching.

Last edited by phildaant; 08-07-2014 at 11:02 AM.
post #259 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

On my Comcast-provided HD DVR, there is a button for skipping forward 5 minutes, another for skipping backwards 5 minutes. For commercial breaks, I usually just FF2 until I notice the show has picked up again, and then hit the back-25-seconds button if I don't land at the end of the commercial break. (There is no corresponding skip-25-seconds button.)

Live watching? The majority of my live watching is when I am watching a recorded show and fall asleep for long enough that the show I was watching had played to its end, timed out waiting for me to decide to keep it (fortunately, if it times out, it keeps it), and then it will display the channel the DVR primary tuner just happens to be tuned to. If I intend to watch a show, I always set it up to record that show.
phildaant likes this.

My very humble setup:
post #260 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
On my Comcast-provided HD DVR, there is a button for skipping forward 5 minutes, another for skipping backwards 5 minutes. For commercial breaks, I usually just FF2 until I notice the show has picked up again, and then hit the back-25-seconds button if I don't land at the end of the commercial break. (There is no corresponding skip-25-seconds button.)

Live watching? The majority of my live watching is when I am watching a recorded show and fall asleep for long enough that the show I was watching had played to its end, timed out waiting for me to decide to keep it (fortunately, if it times out, it keeps it), and then it will display the channel the DVR primary tuner just happens to be tuned to. If I intend to watch a show, I always set it up to record that show.
I have always believed that TiVo had the simplest and most elegant solution to avoiding commercials. TiVo calls its skip ahead and skip back buttons "trickplay." Each press of the forward trickplay button instantly moves 30 seconds ahead in the recording. Each press of the reverse button instantly backs up 8 seconds. The combination makes it very fast and easy to avoid commercials and not waste much time while doing it.
phildaant likes this.
post #261 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
The Comcast HD DVRs can be reprogrammed to shorter intervals. For the X1 DVR with XR2 remote control see: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-pr...or-xfinity-x1/

For the older Motorola DCT DVRs:
1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip).
phildaant likes this.
post #262 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
The Comcast HD DVRs can be reprogrammed to shorter intervals. For the X1 DVR with XR2 remote control see: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-pr...or-xfinity-x1/

For the older Motorola DCT DVRs:
1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip).
Do you know the one for Arris DCX3510-M DVR with its Navigator and RC122?
post #263 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
No. I only know those items I use or have used. I suggest you check the HDTV Recorders forum here or search the XfinityTV and Equipment forum: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...bd-p/CTV_Equip

Good luck.
phildaant likes this.
post #264 of 403 Old 08-07-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
No. I only know those items I use or have used. I suggest you check the HDTV Recorders forum here or search the XfinityTV and Equipment forum: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...bd-p/CTV_Equip

Good luck.
Thanks. I did ask in forums on here, DSL/Broadband Reports, and official TWC. No one could answer that question. I guess it doesn't exist.
post #265 of 403 Old 08-08-2014, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

How odd. I thought this was a thread about Extant, not about DVRs. Silly me!

It turns out the dog bite was important after all, even though it wasn't important in the way we thought it would be (to show her accelerated healing). I'm surprised and pleased that they covered the entire crazy person / unbelieving spouse arc in a single episode, whereas in most shows it would drag on forever. Now it's them against everybody else.

The 180 from the space agency doesn't make much sense, though. They go to the trouble of admitting to her that she got pregnant through unsanctioned experiments (even if it's a half truth), and then when she won't submit to quarantine, they extract the fetus and pretend she's crazy? That's pretty sloppy work.
post #266 of 403 Old 08-08-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
How odd. I thought this was a thread about Extant, not about DVRs. Silly me!
Happens all the time. Sometimes I participate too if I have some information to add. This is AVS; just gotta' roll with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives
The 180 from the space agency doesn't make much sense, though. They go to the trouble of admitting to her that she got pregnant through unsanctioned experiments (even if it's a half truth), and then when she won't submit to quarantine, they extract the fetus and pretend she's crazy? That's pretty sloppy work.
Yeah, that had me eye-rolling too. And there would be some evidence of the surgical scarring from the extraction as well, I would think. And the "baby" exhibits the now-tired trope of accelerated development.

Bummer. Another sci-fi show with plenty of resources, good production values, and solid actors goes down the tubes because of sloppy, unfocused writing. The ratings are falling and the time slot move didn't help. Looks like this show's a goner.
gwsat likes this.
post #267 of 403 Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
OT

Quote:
Here's a link, with one reply (10/4/13, 8:42 am) that says the info worked for Moto DCX3510M.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-enable-...-an-1440417736

Extant plot seems to drag. If this episode was better, it was only near the end. Sneaking around but gaining access to equipment, that is overdone, and themes like fetal acceleration and "you're going crazy" are as well. But after those alien circle bumps she kept getting, I was expecting something other than a normal looking fetus. And why does gender matter? Were they hoping for a female for inter-species breeding? Maybe it's just as well if this series ends with this year.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by TalkingRat; 08-08-2014 at 07:28 AM.
post #268 of 403 Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post
Here's a link, with one reply (10/4/13, 8:42 am) that says the info worked for Moto DCX3510M.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-enable-...-an-1440417736 ...
Oops, I am using a RC122. I don't see a setup button.

Last edited by phildaant; 08-08-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #269 of 403 Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yeah, just a so-so episode. Them letting her come back to work after everything else was a stretch.

I did find it interesting the assistant woman has two fake legs. No wonder she has such an interest in the kid.
phildaant likes this.
post #270 of 403 Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Happens all the time. Sometimes I participate too if I have some information to add. This is AVS; just gotta' roll with it.

Bummer. Another sci-fi show with plenty of resources, good production values, and solid actors goes down the tubes because of sloppy, unfocused writing. The ratings are falling and the time slot move didn't help. Looks like this show's a goner.
I agree on both counts. First, thread drift is now and has always been the mother's milk of AVS. Back on topic now, while film is a director's medium, successful television has mostly been the result of good writing. It's a shame to see uninspired, paint-by-the-numbers, writing kill a show that has so much else going for it.
UTV2TiVo and phildaant like this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page