AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Extant (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/1590314-extant.html)

taxman48 07-03-2014 06:49 PM

Extant

Series premier this Wednesday, 9pm CBS. Anyone going to check it out? The series deals with an astronaut that returns from space after 1 year. She is inexplicably pregnant!! Sounds like Aliens..:eek:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/extant/

archiguy 07-03-2014 06:55 PM

As I said in another thread, I'd watch Halle Berry read the newspaper for an hour. This doesn't look, at least from the previews, like the typical CBS pabulum. So I'm definitely in, at least to start. If it turns 'Under the Dome' dumb, I'm outa' there.

But I have to say, making an actress who has one of the worlds greatest figures pregnant seems like a cruel joke.

VisionOn 07-03-2014 06:56 PM

Saw Spielberg's name and was already skeptical. Saw Halle Berry's name and my interest dropped even more. Heard the plot was about a magic space pregnancy and I had one foot out of the door.

When I read that she has a robotic fake son on Earth the show lost me completely.

replayrob 07-03-2014 07:13 PM

I'll give it a shot too, but only because of HB... I just hope she doesn't start reading the newspaper or phone-book to us.

philw1776 07-03-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisionOn (Post 25476354)
Saw Spielberg's name and was already skeptical. Saw Halle Berry's name and my interest dropped even more. Heard the plot was about a magic space pregnancy and I had one foot out of the door.

When I read that she has a robotic fake son on Earth the show lost me completely.

Is this a joke? The robotic fake son? If so this could even be worse than that new angels fiasco Dominion. Sigh.

VisionOn 07-03-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philw1776 (Post 25476898)
Is this a joke? The robotic fake son?

Nope. It's AI on TV!

Added together this has all the signs of being a Lifetime in Space drama about maternal instincts and (robotic) sibling dilemmas. Plus the Spielberg factor, in that he has never been involved in a TV show that was anything but mediocre.

mrvideo 07-04-2014 01:20 AM

I watched the pilot a couple of weeks ago. IMHO, Under the Dome it isn't.

All I'm going to say is that I am awaiting more episodes.

Keep in mind that I like a lot of shows that members here do not care for, so my opinion of a show might not amount to much. :D

gwsat 07-04-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

That was almost exactly my impression but I saw this morning that I had setup a season pass for the show, Spielberg and Berry's connection with the show notwithstanding, I guess I'll watch the pilot. There's something to be said for going in with low expectations. :)

moob 07-04-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

I had one foot out the door simply because it's on CBS but when I saw the commercial that showed this I was out completely as well.

Here's that commercial:

philw1776 07-04-2014 03:56 PM

What I love about this forum is the varied perspectives, insights & tastes of the viewers/reviewers. And even if I don't watch a show at first I can read reviews to decide if I wish to catch up. I was excited at first, but I'm gonna pass on this one.

zaphod7501 07-04-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philw1776 (Post 25495146)
What I love about this forum is the varied perspectives, insights & tastes of the viewers/reviewers. And even if I don't watch a show at first I can read reviews to decide if I wish to catch up. I was excited at first, but I'm gonna pass on this one.

Exactly my feelings. I was, however, skeptical from the start when they didn't want to release any details - "to pique interest" (?) - by slowly letting hints "slip" out about it.

CPanther95 07-04-2014 04:25 PM

Spielberg's involvement is enough for me to wait until I hear reviews after the end of the first season. He's got 3 strikes, just in the last few years.

Aleron Ives 07-04-2014 04:29 PM

Robobabies? Now I'm reconsidering my desire to watch this... I guess the real reason her pregnancy is so important is not because it occurred when she was supposedly alone on a space station but because this is one of those dismal futures where people aren't allowed to have children and are instead forced to have robobabies. Sigh. How original. :rolleyes:

VisionOn 07-04-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moob (Post 25494498)
I had one foot out the door simply because it's on CBS but when I saw the commercial that showed this I was out completely as well.

Yep, not helping to entice me at all. When you get past yet another TV alien baby you apparently are left with another Earthbound sci-fi show, combined with a robot child who will probably say "What is love?" and then either go Chucky or have to be shut down (because emotional scene requirement) as Halle Berry tries to explain if there is a Heaven for robots.

VisionOn 07-04-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPanther95 (Post 25495594)
Spielberg's involvement is enough for me to wait until I hear reviews after the end of the first season. He's got 3 strikes, just in the last few years.

I don't know what it is about Spielberg but whenever he becomes involved in sci-fi TV production he loses his mojo as soon as the pilot is shot. What's infuriating is that as a film director he comes up with powerful scenes and visuals even in his weakest movies. Nowadays, unless it's an historical or military TV production (which I forgot about thanks to his recent track record) his name is better left out of the credits. It's just doing his reputation more harm than good. At least with George Lucas his decline is consistent across all media. ;)

I don't know how Halle Berry gets so much laudatory press coverage either. The best things she has done in a decade have been as a minor part of an ensemble and apart from Monster's Ball the movies she has fronted have all been barely passable.

gwsat 07-04-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisionOn (Post 25497826)
I don't know how Halle Berry gets so much laudatory press coverage either. The best things she has done in a decade have been as a minor part of an ensemble and apart from Monster's Ball the movies she has fronted have all been barely passable.

Amen! Apostasy though it may be, I have never thought that Halle Berry was much better than an average actress. Although her Oscar winning performance in Monster's Ball was excellent, I thought the only reason she won was that it was a relatively weak year for juicy roles for actresses.

grubadub 07-04-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisionOn (Post 25497570)
Yep, not helping to entice me at all. When you get past yet another TV alien baby you apparently are left with another Earthbound sci-fi show, combined with a robot child who will probably say "What is love?" and then either go Chucky or have to be shut down (because emotional scene requirement) as Halle Berry tries to explain if there is a Heaven for robots.

I chuckled

Aleron Ives 07-04-2014 09:06 PM

Having Halle Berry is only a big deal because she's a film actress doing a TV show. It still seems that acting in films is considered more prestigious than acting in television, so networks like to blow their own horns a bit whenever they snag someone from the movie world, as it allows them to bill the show as being extra super awesome if they were able to convince a big name from the film world to be in it.

It does seem, however, that the notion of film being better than TV is starting to change, in no small part due to the high quality of many of the shows the cable networks are generating (and what seems to be the trend of serious storytellers moving towards TV in order to avoid the plotless explosionfests that are modern movies).

John Mason 07-05-2014 07:34 AM

Questions arise from HB's space station pregnancy: How well was equipment cleaned before orbit? What was she doing with the gear during her long stay? (Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Nudge-nudge).

Anyway, since CBS's new series finally doesn't center on law enforcement, I've set my DVR. -- John

NetworkTV 07-05-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisionOn (Post 25497570)

Quote:

Originally Posted by grubadub (Post 25500146)
I chuckled

I immediately thought about playing a game of "hide the soul".... ;)

ltownsend 07-05-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxman48 (Post 25476194)
Series premier this Wednesday, 9pm CBS. Anyone going to check it out? The series deals with an astronaut that returns from space after 1 year. She is inexplicably pregnant!! Sounds like Aliens..:eek:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/extant/

I'm in!

mrvideo 07-05-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleron Ives (Post 25495674)
... but because this is one of those dismal futures where people aren't allowed to have children and are instead forced to have robobabies.

Huh? I'd better go back and rewatch the pilot as I do not remember anyone stating that becoming pregnant was against the law and that people were forced to get robot children.

moob 07-05-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvideo (Post 25519146)
Huh? I'd better go back and rewatch the pilot as I do not remember anyone stating that becoming pregnant was against the law and that people were forced to get robot children.

I think he may have been making an assumption. But if that really isn't the case, then this clip makes even less sense.

Lol. It just occurred to me we're picking it apart based on clips.

Edit: Ugh. I tried just linking to the clip because I didn't want to embed another one but it automatically did it anyway. Is there a way to stop that?

Edit 2: Never mind. Got it.

baja7475 07-05-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvideo (Post 25481498)
I watched the pilot a couple of weeks ago. IMHO, Under the Dome it isn't.

All I'm going to say is that I am awaiting more episodes.

Keep in mind that I like a lot of shows that members here do not care for, so my opinion of a show might not amount to much. :D

That is exactly my thought. We like Dominion, Defiance, Under the Dome, The following, Helix, Revolution, lol .....all of the shows most people on here hate.

Aleron Ives 07-06-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvideo (Post 25519146)

The pilot hasn't aired yet. We're speculating.

mrvideo 07-06-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleron Ives (Post 25520458)
The pilot hasn't aired yet. We're speculating.

My takeaway was the the original poster saw/heard something in a promo that indicated such. Since I don't watch CBS, I don't see their promos. Hence my reason for thinking I missed something.

WilliamR 07-06-2014 08:04 AM

Will check it out but I don't have high hopes based on the previews.

domino92024 07-06-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamR (Post 25524178)
Will check it out but I don't have high hopes based on the previews.

Seeing Ms. Berry's "abs" during a ultrasound examination will give Extant a DVR slot until it warrants otherwise.

VisionOn 07-06-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino92024 (Post 25532290)
Seeing Ms. Berry's "abs" during a ultrasound examination will give Extant a DVR slot until it warrants otherwise.

If it's like any other space baby you've probably got about two weeks before those abs are gone.

And four weeks before the space baby is a teenager. ;)

CPanther95 07-06-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino92024 (Post 25532290)

Even I've got abs tailor-made for an ultrasound.