Extant - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 276Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 445 Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
taxman48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Extant

Series premier this Wednesday, 9pm CBS. Anyone going to check it out? The series deals with an astronaut that returns from space after 1 year. She is inexplicably pregnant!! Sounds like Aliens..

http://www.cbs.com/shows/extant/

taxman48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 445 Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,323
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
As I said in another thread, I'd watch Halle Berry read the newspaper for an hour. This doesn't look, at least from the previews, like the typical CBS pabulum. So I'm definitely in, at least to start. If it turns 'Under the Dome' dumb, I'm outa' there.

But I have to say, making an actress who has one of the worlds greatest figures pregnant seems like a cruel joke.
archiguy is offline  
post #3 of 445 Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Saw Spielberg's name and was already skeptical. Saw Halle Berry's name and my interest dropped even more. Heard the plot was about a magic space pregnancy and I had one foot out of the door.

When I read that she has a robotic fake son on Earth the show lost me completely.
Marc Wielage likes this.


VisionOn is offline  
post #4 of 445 Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 4,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I'll give it a shot too, but only because of HB... I just hope she doesn't start reading the newspaper or phone-book to us.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
replayrob is offline  
post #5 of 445 Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Back in New Hampshire
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Saw Spielberg's name and was already skeptical. Saw Halle Berry's name and my interest dropped even more. Heard the plot was about a magic space pregnancy and I had one foot out of the door.

When I read that she has a robotic fake son on Earth the show lost me completely.
Is this a joke? The robotic fake son? If so this could even be worse than that new angels fiasco Dominion. Sigh.
philw1776 is offline  
post #6 of 445 Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Is this a joke? The robotic fake son?
Nope. It's AI on TV!

Added together this has all the signs of being a Lifetime in Space drama about maternal instincts and (robotic) sibling dilemmas. Plus the Spielberg factor, in that he has never been involved in a TV show that was anything but mediocre.
Djoel likes this.


VisionOn is offline  
post #7 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I watched the pilot a couple of weeks ago. IMHO, Under the Dome it isn't.

All I'm going to say is that I am awaiting more episodes.

Keep in mind that I like a lot of shows that members here do not care for, so my opinion of a show might not amount to much.
ltownsend likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is online now  
post #8 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Saw Spielberg's name and was already skeptical. Saw Halle Berry's name and my interest dropped even more. Heard the plot was about a magic space pregnancy and I had one foot out of the door.

When I read that she has a robotic fake son on Earth the show lost me completely.
That was almost exactly my impression but I saw this morning that I had setup a season pass for the show, Spielberg and Berry's connection with the show notwithstanding, I guess I'll watch the pilot. There's something to be said for going in with low expectations.
gwsat is online now  
post #9 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
When I read that she has a robotic fake son on Earth the show lost me completely.
I had one foot out the door simply because it's on CBS but when I saw the commercial that showed this I was out completely as well.

Here's that commercial:
moob is offline  
post #10 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Back in New Hampshire
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 80
What I love about this forum is the varied perspectives, insights & tastes of the viewers/reviewers. And even if I don't watch a show at first I can read reviews to decide if I wish to catch up. I was excited at first, but I'm gonna pass on this one.
philw1776 is offline  
post #11 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zaphod7501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peoria Illinois
Posts: 1,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
What I love about this forum is the varied perspectives, insights & tastes of the viewers/reviewers. And even if I don't watch a show at first I can read reviews to decide if I wish to catch up. I was excited at first, but I'm gonna pass on this one.
Exactly my feelings. I was, however, skeptical from the start when they didn't want to release any details - "to pique interest" (?) - by slowly letting hints "slip" out about it.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
zaphod7501 is online now  
post #12 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Spielberg's involvement is enough for me to wait until I hear reviews after the end of the first season. He's got 3 strikes, just in the last few years.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #13 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Robobabies? Now I'm reconsidering my desire to watch this... I guess the real reason her pregnancy is so important is not because it occurred when she was supposedly alone on a space station but because this is one of those dismal futures where people aren't allowed to have children and are instead forced to have robobabies. Sigh. How original.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #14 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
I had one foot out the door simply because it's on CBS but when I saw the commercial that showed this I was out completely as well.
Yep, not helping to entice me at all. When you get past yet another TV alien baby you apparently are left with another Earthbound sci-fi show, combined with a robot child who will probably say "What is love?" and then either go Chucky or have to be shut down (because emotional scene requirement) as Halle Berry tries to explain if there is a Heaven for robots.
Marc Wielage likes this.


VisionOn is offline  
post #15 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Spielberg's involvement is enough for me to wait until I hear reviews after the end of the first season. He's got 3 strikes, just in the last few years.
I don't know what it is about Spielberg but whenever he becomes involved in sci-fi TV production he loses his mojo as soon as the pilot is shot. What's infuriating is that as a film director he comes up with powerful scenes and visuals even in his weakest movies. Nowadays, unless it's an historical or military TV production (which I forgot about thanks to his recent track record) his name is better left out of the credits. It's just doing his reputation more harm than good. At least with George Lucas his decline is consistent across all media.

I don't know how Halle Berry gets so much laudatory press coverage either. The best things she has done in a decade have been as a minor part of an ensemble and apart from Monster's Ball the movies she has fronted have all been barely passable.


VisionOn is offline  
post #16 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I don't know how Halle Berry gets so much laudatory press coverage either. The best things she has done in a decade have been as a minor part of an ensemble and apart from Monster's Ball the movies she has fronted have all been barely passable.
Amen! Apostasy though it may be, I have never thought that Halle Berry was much better than an average actress. Although her Oscar winning performance in Monster's Ball was excellent, I thought the only reason she won was that it was a relatively weak year for juicy roles for actresses.
gwsat is online now  
post #17 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Yep, not helping to entice me at all. When you get past yet another TV alien baby you apparently are left with another Earthbound sci-fi show, combined with a robot child who will probably say "What is love?" and then either go Chucky or have to be shut down (because emotional scene requirement) as Halle Berry tries to explain if there is a Heaven for robots.
I chuckled
grubadub is offline  
post #18 of 445 Old 07-04-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Having Halle Berry is only a big deal because she's a film actress doing a TV show. It still seems that acting in films is considered more prestigious than acting in television, so networks like to blow their own horns a bit whenever they snag someone from the movie world, as it allows them to bill the show as being extra super awesome if they were able to convince a big name from the film world to be in it.

It does seem, however, that the notion of film being better than TV is starting to change, in no small part due to the high quality of many of the shows the cable networks are generating (and what seems to be the trend of serious storytellers moving towards TV in order to avoid the plotless explosionfests that are modern movies).
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #19 of 445 Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
John Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Questions arise from HB's space station pregnancy: How well was equipment cleaned before orbit? What was she doing with the gear during her long stay? (Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Nudge-nudge).


Anyway, since CBS's new series finally doesn't center on law enforcement, I've set my DVR. -- John
baja7475 likes this.
John Mason is offline  
post #20 of 445 Old 07-05-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Yep, not helping to entice me at all. When you get past yet another TV alien baby you apparently are left with another Earthbound sci-fi show, combined with a robot child who will probably say "What is love?" and then either go Chucky or have to be shut down (because emotional scene requirement) as Halle Berry tries to explain if there is a Heaven for robots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
I chuckled
I immediately thought about playing a game of "hide the soul"....
NetworkTV is offline  
post #21 of 445 Old 07-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
ltownsend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Series premier this Wednesday, 9pm CBS. Anyone going to check it out? The series deals with an astronaut that returns from space after 1 year. She is inexplicably pregnant!! Sounds like Aliens..

http://www.cbs.com/shows/extant/
I'm in!
baja7475 likes this.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

 

 

ltownsend is offline  
post #22 of 445 Old 07-05-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
... but because this is one of those dismal futures where people aren't allowed to have children and are instead forced to have robobabies.
Huh? I'd better go back and rewatch the pilot as I do not remember anyone stating that becoming pregnant was against the law and that people were forced to get robot children.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is online now  
post #23 of 445 Old 07-05-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Huh? I'd better go back and rewatch the pilot as I do not remember anyone stating that becoming pregnant was against the law and that people were forced to get robot children.
I think he may have been making an assumption. But if that really isn't the case, then this clip makes even less sense.

Lol. It just occurred to me we're picking it apart based on clips.

Edit: Ugh. I tried just linking to the clip because I didn't want to embed another one but it automatically did it anyway. Is there a way to stop that?

Edit 2: Never mind. Got it.
moob is offline  
post #24 of 445 Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
 
baja7475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I watched the pilot a couple of weeks ago. IMHO, Under the Dome it isn't.

All I'm going to say is that I am awaiting more episodes.

Keep in mind that I like a lot of shows that members here do not care for, so my opinion of a show might not amount to much.

That is exactly my thought. We like Dominion, Defiance, Under the Dome, The following, Helix, Revolution, lol .....all of the shows most people on here hate.
Wytchone likes this.
baja7475 is offline  
post #25 of 445 Old 07-06-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Huh? I'd better go back and rewatch the pilot as I do not remember anyone stating that becoming pregnant was against the law and that people were forced to get robot children.
The pilot hasn't aired yet. We're speculating.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #26 of 445 Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The pilot hasn't aired yet. We're speculating.
My takeaway was the the original poster saw/heard something in a promo that indicated such. Since I don't watch CBS, I don't see their promos. Hence my reason for thinking I missed something.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is online now  
post #27 of 445 Old 07-06-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Will check it out but I don't have high hopes based on the previews.

WilliamR is offline  
post #28 of 445 Old 07-06-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
domino92024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Will check it out but I don't have high hopes based on the previews.
Seeing Ms. Berry's "abs" during a ultrasound examination will give Extant a DVR slot until it warrants otherwise.
domino92024 is online now  
post #29 of 445 Old 07-06-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
Seeing Ms. Berry's "abs" during a ultrasound examination will give Extant a DVR slot until it warrants otherwise.
If it's like any other space baby you've probably got about two weeks before those abs are gone.

And four weeks before the space baby is a teenager.


VisionOn is offline  
post #30 of 445 Old 07-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
Seeing Ms. Berry's "abs" during a ultrasound examination will give Extant a DVR slot until it warrants otherwise.
Even I've got abs tailor-made for an ultrasound.

Last edited by CPanther95; 07-06-2014 at 04:14 PM.
CPanther95 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off