4Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 07-06-2014, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Endeavour on PBS-HD

Season #2 of Endeavour starts tonight, I think it's a great show, Morse in his early days.

I looked but didn't find a topic about the show. Anyway, season #2 premiers tonight at 9:00 ET on my PBS, I suspect it's pretty much going to be on most PBS stations tonight.

How many shows can be crammed on a Sunday night. I suspect that out of the regular shows I watch, that over 50% of them are on Sunday nights.

Last edited by rebkell; 07-09-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling of title:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-06-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It is almost a shock reading someone write about PBS here.
post #3 of 31 Old 07-06-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Eppisode 2 Endeavour airs here tonight.
post #4 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Usually have to bump several DVR-programed shows ahead to view Masterpiece 1-1/2-hour dramas on Sunday. Worth it most of time because the writing, acting, and directing stand out from typical TV fare. Endeavour's girls school murder mystery this week was another outstanding show. Maybe Endeavour's noobie status early in the series, with dissing from superiors and others, makes him more interesting than the grumpy future Morse. Recall DCI Jane Tennison had a similar sympathy element early in the long-running Prime Suspect series on PBS. -- John
ltownsend likes this.

Last edited by John Mason; 07-11-2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Inspector Morris was such a compelling series I will watch and enjoy anything that's part of the Morris ecosystem. That includes Inspector Lewis.
ltownsend likes this.
post #6 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Season 2 continues the excellent series. Well written, well cast attention absorbing mysteries with delightful views of mid 60s Britain.

Both the 1st 2 episodes have slight twists at the end. The 1st ended with someone unknown but obviously with the police passing the missing notebook onto someone also unknown but powerful, currying favor and protecting yet another figure likely complicit. More to come here?

I'm not sure precisely what was the reveal in the 2nd episode the gothic girls school with the picture of the girl from 1866. She looked like she might have Downs syndrome signifying...?
post #7 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Season 2 continues the excellent series. Well written, well cast attention absorbing mysteries with delightful views of mid 60s Britain.

Both the 1st 2 episodes have slight twists at the end. The 1st ended with someone unknown but obviously with the police passing the missing notebook onto someone also unknown but powerful, currying favor and protecting yet another figure likely complicit. More to come here?

I'm not sure precisely what was the reveal in the 2nd episode the gothic girls school with the picture of the girl from 1866. She looked like she might have Downs syndrome signifying...?

I thought the reveal in the second episode was the Masonic symbol under the stone in the ring, not the old picture. It hints at an arc for the season involving Masons. One of the Morse episodes also involved Masons, titled Masonic Mysteries.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #8 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I loved Endeavour (note the spelling includes a "u") last season so have been delighted by its return this year. Like most of the UK's TV programming the depth of talent, especially among the younger performers, has been remarkable. A lot of terrific young actresses got to strut their stuff in this week's show, which was mostly set at a creepy girls school.
ltownsend likes this.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I loved Endeavour (note the spelling includes a "u") last season so have been delighted by its return this year. Like most of the UK's TV programming the depth of talent, especially among the younger performers, has been remarkable. A lot of terrific young actresses got to strut their stuff in this week's show, which was mostly set at a creepy girls school.
Yep, messed up the spelling, I knew it was spelled differently, and still spelled it wrong. I don't know how to fix the title, I fixed it on my original post, but it doesn't seem to change it in forum topic listing.
post #10 of 31 Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

In Series 2 Ep1, the uniformed policeman that is friendly with Endeavour, was at the crime scene (where the PI was thrown off the roof) when the notebook was first seen. It disappears from evidence. The policeman later tells Endeavour that he is being recruited to a 'group', which turns out to be the Masons. Endeavour warns him he can't serve two masters and being a Mason may compromise his police work at some point. The notebook is seen being mysteriously passed along. In Ep 2, Endeavour is 'set up' on a blind date to round out a foursome with this same policeman. The Masonic ring is shown at the end of the episode. Seems like the policeman is the one passing evidence to the Masons, as to who the receiver is....well....???

Last edited by Gandu; 07-11-2014 at 08:29 AM.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched this week's episode last night and, as usual, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought the thread involving DI Fred Thursday and his long lost Italian lover from WW-II was particularly compelling. Endeavour is a well written and brilliantly produced series.
post #12 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I was waiting for an angle with the Masons but didn't see one in last Sunday's episode. I expected it to be a thread that wove its way through all the episodes this series.

It certainly was rather complicated, with appropriate red herring's, like the piano tuner, and the store "manager" with the bad leg using the stockings to ease the discomfort caused by his prosthesis.

I did *NOT* expect the relationship between Morse and Monica Hicks given the year this was taking place. It WAS a bit corny, them kissing under the fireworks.!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #13 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Inspector Morris was such a compelling series I will watch and enjoy anything that's part of the Morris ecosystem. That includes Inspector Lewis.
Think you mean "Morse" not Morris...

But I agree. Loved "Inspector Morse", love "Lewis", and think "Endeavour" is great. Very effective way of giving a much loved series longevity when the lead character is no longer with us.

If you've seen the most recent series of "Lewis" then you'll realise that means any future series will need to have some creative thought applied to how that show develops.
post #14 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

There is at least one more Inspector Lewis. Per the Wiki: "It was officially announced that the show would be returning with the four original main cast members for an eighth series of three two-part episodes with shooting starting in March 2014". And yes I know it's Morse. I was so careful of getting the spinoffs correct that I flubbed the original.

Last edited by Garrett Adams; 07-16-2014 at 06:22 PM.
post #15 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I did *NOT* expect the relationship between Morse and Monica Hicks given the year this was taking place. It WAS a bit corny, them kissing under the fireworks.!
I also thought for the time it would be shocking but maybe the British were further along than in the states in that regard, I agree for the time in the states it would be rather taboo.
Great show, our favorite British show currently running new episodes DCI Banks and Scott and Lewis are also good but they take place now and aren't running new episodes now, at least in my market.
post #16 of 31 Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I also thought for the time it would be shocking but maybe the British were further along than in the states in that regard, I agree for the time in the states it would be rather taboo.
Nearly posted the same thoughts. Britain may have been a bit different in attitude - possibly because of our history of empire (now Commonwealth). We invited a lot of people from Commonwealth countries to move to the UK to work and help us rebuild post-WWII (though people had moved here before then). I'm not pretending there weren't racial tensions (there still are in places - though in different ways), and prejudice could be pretty horrific, but equally there wasn't anything like the segregation I believe was still present in some parts of the US in the 60s. (Thinking schools, buses etc.)

A mixed-race relationship would potentially have caused raised eyebrows - but wouldn't have been unheard of. Nursing and medicine in general, particularly with the advent of our National Health Service, were major employers of people who had moved here from other countries. As were the railways and other public transport services like the tube, buses etc.
post #17 of 31 Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Since the series finale may air at different times around the US due to different schedules on the local PBS stations, I will post no 'spoilers'. The final episode of this series was great and the way it ended ensures a Series 3 will be produced.
post #18 of 31 Old 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
Since the series finale may air at different times around the US due to different schedules on the local PBS stations, I will post no 'spoilers'. The final episode of this series was great and the way it ended ensures a Series 3 will be produced.
I agree, it was great! Unfortunately many of our favorite series have now completed their season finale and won't be back for almost another year The British sure have short seasons, not like the 26 episode seasons here in the states.....
post #19 of 31 Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I thought the finale was the best Endeavour episode thus far. I don't care for "cliffhangers", but this one wasn't too objectionable.
post #20 of 31 Old 07-22-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I liked the season finale too and agree that it sets up Series 4 nicely. Assuming DI Thursday survives, a good bet it seems to me, I suspect that the prosecution of Morse for murder won't go anywhere. Endeavour has become one of my favorite British imports, up there with Sherlock and Downton Abbey. The writers certainly don't insult our intelligence.
post #21 of 31 Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I agree, it was great! Unfortunately many of our favorite series have now completed their season finale and won't be back for almost another year The British sure have short seasons, not like the 26 episode seasons here in the states.....
Maybe that's why the British they call them series rather than seasons. Season 3 should last at least three months, whereas Series III can be much shorter.
post #22 of 31 Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
I liked the season finale too and agree that it sets up Series 4 nicely. Assuming DI Thursday survives, a good bet it seems to me, I suspect that the prosecution of Morse for murder won't go anywhere. Endeavour has become one of my favorite British imports, up there with Sherlock and Downton Abbey. The writers certainly don't insult our intelligence.
No cliff hanger with E in jail. We know he doesn't rot there. Since I'm told that Thursday is not part of the Morse episodes, I wonder if he dies.

I love this series although the next to last episode had too many blatant red herrings and a less than credible villain and motive.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, I just finished the episode. I don't want to lose Fred, that was definitely a cliffhanger. Arrggghh we got to wait a year.
post #24 of 31 Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I normally fast forward through the credits but on the last episode I watched them and saw something I didn't know. The part of Miss Frazil is played by Abigail Thaw, John Thaw's daughter. It's a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that a Thaw part of Endeavour.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Morse went to a gunfight empty handed, does not say much about his street smarts.
post #26 of 31 Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Morse went to a gunfight empty handed, does not say much about his street smarts.
Don't forget that this was England, where even the cops don't carry guns except under extraordinary circumstances. I thought it was more surprising that DI Thursday was armed than that Morse was not.
post #27 of 31 Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Given the time, it's more surprising that Thursday showed up with one.
post #28 of 31 Old 07-24-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't forget that this was England, where even the cops don't carry guns except under extraordinary circumstances. I thought it was more surprising that DI Thursday was armed than that Morse was not.

Yeah especially after getting shot at it makes sense for Morse not to get a gun for what was obviously going to be a gunfight.

Firearms were in fact more common in England those days and a lot more strictly controlled now.
philw1776 likes this.

Last edited by wuther; 07-24-2014 at 03:54 PM.
post #29 of 31 Old 07-24-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah especially after getting shot at it makes sense for Morse not to get a gun for what was obviously going to be a gunfight.

Firearms were in fact more common in England those days and a lot more strictly controlled now.
Yes - but in reality not that much more common. The Police certainly wouldn't routinely have carried a service fire-arm (as many other police forces around the world do).

The gun licensing laws were less strict, and post-war there were quite a lot of souvenir weapons brought back by people who had served in the war, as well as the usual agricultural shot guns. However guns were still pretty rare.

It would have been surprising for Morse to have had access to a weapon and to have carried one as a police officer, though he may have been able to access one more easily then than now.

In the UK then, as now, policing is by consent not by force - and we remain one of the few areas of the world (Norway is another) where regular police officers do not carry fire arms. However we have a much lower incidence of gun related crime in the UK thankfully.
post #30 of 31 Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No cliff hanger with E in jail. We know he doesn't rot there. Since I'm told that Thursday is not part of the Morse episodes, I wonder if he dies.

I love this series although the next to last episode had too many blatant red herrings and a less than credible villain and motive.
There's a big gap between this series and the first "Inspector Morse" (which started in contemporary 1987) so you wouldn't expect Thursday to be in Morse, or even be surprised if he had passed away naturally by the time Morse started.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page