The Lottery July 20, 2014 Lifetime - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Whitearrow
  • 1 Post By Whitearrow
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-12-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
The Lottery July 20, 2014 Lifetime

The Lottery July 20, 2014 Lifetime

Yes, go ahead and laugh .. I've posted a thread on a Lifetime Network new series .. however, the premise seems interesting ..
Lifetime brings viewers to the year 2025 with the premiere of the provocative new conspiracy thriller, "The Lottery" on Sunday, July 20, at 10PM ET/PT. Currently filming in Montreal, the series stars Marley Shelton ("Eleventh Hour"), Michael Graziadei ("American Horror Story"), David Alpay ("The Vampire Diaries"), Athena Karkanis ("Low Winter Sun"), Yul Vasquez ("Magic City"), Shelley Conn ("Terra Nova") and Martin Donovan ("Homeland").

Set within a dystopian future driven by a global fertility crisis, The Lottery reveals a world staring down the barrel of impending extinction as women have mysteriously stopped bearing children. After years of research, Dr. Alison Lennon (Shelton) and her team remarkably fertilize 100 embryos. However, her victory is short-lived when the Director of the U.S. Fertility Commission, Darius Hayes (Donovan), takes government control of the lab and informs the President (Vasquez) of the monumental scientific breakthrough. To determine which women will carry the prized embryos to term, Chief of Staff Vanessa Keller (Karkanis) convinces the President to hold a national lottery and a battle over the control of the 100 embryos begins. Michael Graziadei stars as Kyle, a recovering alcoholic and single father of one of the last children born in the country, while David Alpay stars as James, Alison’s colleague and lab assistant. Shelley Conn portrays Gabrielle, the First Lady of the United States.

"The Lottery" is written by Timothy J. Sexton ("Children of Men"), who also serves as executive producer alongside Rick Eid ("Hostages") and Dawn Olmstead ("Prison Break"). Danny Cannon ("CSI") directed and executive produced the pilot, which is from Grady Girl Productions in association with Warner Horizon Television. Ten one-hour episodes have been ordered for this season.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/the-...of-the-lottery

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The Lottery July 20, 2014 Lifetime

Yes, go ahead and laugh .. I've posted a thread on a Lifetime Network new series .. however, the premise seems interesting ..
Lifetime brings viewers to the year 2025 with the premiere of the provocative new conspiracy thriller, "The Lottery" on Sunday, July 20, at 10PM ET/PT. Currently filming in Montreal, the series stars Marley Shelton ("Eleventh Hour"), Michael Graziadei ("American Horror Story"), David Alpay ("The Vampire Diaries"), Athena Karkanis ("Low Winter Sun"), Yul Vasquez ("Magic City"), Shelley Conn ("Terra Nova") and Martin Donovan ("Homeland").

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/the-...of-the-lottery
The fact that half the cast is from shows that didn't make it even 1 entire season doesn't give me a huge amount of confidence...
NetworkTV is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I thought it was going to be an adaptation of Shirley Jackson's famous short story.

Lifetime. Who knows, it could be good.
barth2k is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I thought it was going to be an adaptation of Shirley Jackson's famous short story.

Lifetime. Who knows, it could be good.
Maybe they are trying to change their image with the male population .. ?? It's funny since AVS has actually had a few corner ads on site lately ..

I've got the DVR set and I'm going to give it a try .. it can't be worse than "Under the Dome" ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Whitearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Maybe they are trying to change their image with the male population .. ??
I think just as likely they are trying to increase their viewership with younger women -- hence this and Witches of Eastwick, both shows with prominent younger female characters.

While their MOTW's are just as bad as you think they are, Lifetime hasn't done a horrible job with series in recent years. Drop Dead Diva and Devious Maids are both light and easy-to-watch shows. I didn't like Eastwick enough to keep watching past the first season, but I can see it's appeal for your average Vampire Diaries type viewer.

This show interests me for the Children of Men connection.
mgkdragn likes this.
Whitearrow is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
I think just as likely they are trying to increase their viewership with younger women -- hence this and Witches of Eastwick, both shows with prominent younger female characters.

While their MOTW's are just as bad as you think they are, Lifetime hasn't done a horrible job with series in recent years. Drop Dead Diva and Devious Maids are both light and easy-to-watch shows. I didn't like Eastwick enough to keep watching past the first season, but I can see it's appeal for your average Vampire Diaries type viewer.
I tried Eastwick and just could not get into it .. I do admit that I really like Devious Maids and somehow feel semi-embarrassed to admit that here on AVS ..

Based on the teasers, I'm hoping The Lottery is a good series ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Whitearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I do admit that I really like Devious Maids and somehow feel semi-embarrassed to admit that here on AVS ..
Devious Maids is, to me, like a lot of the USA shows -- it's just easy to watch. It's entertaining, it doesn't take a genius to follow the story, and even if you don't give it 100% attention, you still know what's going on. It's one of my favorites to have on while making dinner, along with Royal Pains and a few others in a similar vein.

DM is also just well-thought out and executed for what it is, and it doesn't try to be anything more than that. There isn't a drop of pretension and I appreciate that.
mgkdragn likes this.
Whitearrow is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
Devious Maids is, to me, like a lot of the USA shows -- it's just easy to watch. It's entertaining, it doesn't take a genius to follow the story, and even if you don't give it 100% attention, you still know what's going on. It's one of my favorites to have on while making dinner, along with Royal Pains and a few others in a similar vein.

DM is also just well-thought out and executed for what it is, and it doesn't try to be anything more than that. There isn't a drop of pretension and I appreciate that.
I agree .. and I'll add that the primary cast does a great job and really do seem to mesh in well with each other .. and the Latino angle is a plus for me as well ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I'll check it out as long as Lifetime posts episodes or Hulu has it. They picked up "Those Who Kill" when A&E dropped it after two episodes and it was one of the better series I've seen this year. It must've been too dark for A&E viewers.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 07-20-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 110
The first 10 minutes of episode one are available for a preview on the mylifetime.com website. Shades of "Children of Men."
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grittree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This looked good. Lots of plot movement already, perhaps too much. Cast is good, except POTUS is wooden.

Show only ran 39:28, which is really short.
grittree is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Not a bad start, went by quick, thanks to the fast forward with the commercial heavy content .. I'm in and hopeful for the future ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Whitearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Someday, poor Martin Donovan will get to play a really sweet guy.
Whitearrow is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary McCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Season Pass in place, Pilot looked good.

Obvious parallels to Children Of Men and assorted films about human clones, all the way back to THX 1138.

But at least they picked quality movies to rip off. I'm getting tired of teen angst and zombies and vampires.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Gary McCoy is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
I'm getting tired of teen angst and zombies and vampires.
..all of which can be played simultaneously by the same actor since that's the way they are in real life. Teens walk around in a daze and always manage to suck the life out of the people around them. Sometimes they're even sparkly. However, they always act like they're constantly oppressed.

But yeah, I don't mind when shows take elements from other shows and movies. What I hate is when they pull a "Brannon Braga" and recycle the worst possible ones again and again.

Almost as bad is pulling a "JJ Abrams" (aka: the "Tim Kring") which is when a show with an awesome first or even second season goes straight to hell afterward. If James Cameron had done more TV than "Dark Angel", he'd likely be on that list, too.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 07-25-2014 at 10:50 AM.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
After watching the first episode and enjoying it, the second was a dung heap by comparison.

- They chipped the kid, yet never caught up with them the whole time they were road-tripping up to the point of finding it? I've known people who had lost chipped dogs found faster - and that's without any tracking ability in them...just an ID number for when you scan it (you actually have to find the dog first).
- Further, Dad gets rid of the chip, but leaves his cell on? Let me guess, tracking them via either of those methods failed, but random woman seeing the father in the pharmacy will probably be the reason they track them down....otherwise, why show her coming back in as he was leaving?
- I thought in the first episode the scientist lady mentioned how long the embryo could be kept in her portable cryogenic unit...and I'm pretty sure it was shorter than the time she was on the run.
- The government must have some terrible lawyers working for them to have left such a huge loophole in the contract. Good thing they had blackmail as a backup plan....
- Let me get this straight: Dad and the kid have insulin that must be kept cold. They're at a house containing this big thing called a "refrigerator", yet they keep it in a cooler? Never mind keeping it out and unprotected from harm, why wouldn't you take advantage of the AC power at your disposal for your perishable medicine? Further, why is it anyone who has diabetes on TV always has to have an insulin emergency by their second episode? Then, of course, the search is on for replacement insulin (and eventual theft of insulin has to take place while the victim practically goes into a coma)...
- Wow, so the next time I'm on the run and see a roadblock ahead, all I have to do is call the cops and tell them I'm somewhere else and they'll all clear out so I can pass? OK then...
- And the countdown to the kids who have never seen anyone their age before hugging on first meeting in 5, 4, 3, 2.....awwwwwwwwe, *sniffs* MLK would have been proud to see the dream come true...
- So, the boyfriend was taken hostage on his tour of nations that are ticked off that we won't give them any embryos? Wait, how could they do that after working so hard to make him likeable? I'll never trust the writers again after toying with my emotions so liberally! Those bastards!


I really hope the writers have gotten all the stupid cliches out of their system after using so many this week.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 07-30-2014 at 11:43 PM.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
- They chipped the kid, yet never caught up with them the whole time they were road-tripping up to the point of finding it? I've known people who had lost chipped dogs found faster - and that's without any tracking ability in them...just an ID number for when you scan it (you actually have to find the dog first).
- Further, Dad gets rid of the chip, but leaves his cell on? Let me guess, tracking them via either of those methods failed, but random woman seeing the father in the pharmacy will probably be the reason they track them down....otherwise, why show her coming back in as he was leaving?

Yeah, but he miraculously switched vehicles off screen from a gray Cherokee to a black crew cab Ford full size truck. That's what threw them off.....
zeus33 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Yeah, but he miraculously switched vehicles off screen from a gray Cherokee to a black crew cab Ford full size truck. That's what threw them off.....
...and with everything else, I completely forgot to mention mysteriously ending up with the truck. I'm sure he used his computer wizardry to hot wire it, since in movies and TV shows, everyone knows how to hack computers and hot wire cars. This would be the double win...
NetworkTV is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MeatChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
After watching the first episode and enjoying it, the second was a dung heap by comparison.

- They chipped the kid, yet never caught up with them the whole time they were road-tripping up to the point of finding it? I've known people who had lost chipped dogs found faster - and that's without any tracking ability in them...just an ID number for when you scan it (you actually have to find the dog first).
- Further, Dad gets rid of the chip, but leaves his cell on? Let me guess, tracking them via either of those methods failed, but random woman seeing the father in the pharmacy will probably be the reason they track them down....otherwise, why show her coming back in as he was leaving?
- I thought in the first episode the scientist lady mentioned how long the embryo could be kept in her portable cryogenic unit...and I'm pretty sure it was shorter than the time she was on the run.
- The government must have some terrible lawyers working for them to have left such a huge loophole in the contract. Good thing they had blackmail as a backup plan....
- Let me get this straight: Dad and the kid have insulin that must be kept cold. They're at a house containing this big thing called a "refrigerator", yet they keep it in a cooler? Never mind keeping it out and unprotected from harm, why wouldn't you take advantage of the AC power at your disposal for your perishable medicine? Further, why is it anyone who has diabetes on TV always has to have an insulin emergency by their second episode? Then, of course, the search is on for replacement insulin (and eventual theft of insulin has to take place while the victim practically goes into a coma)...
- Wow, so the next time I'm on the run and see a roadblock ahead, all I have to do is call the cops and tell them I'm somewhere else and they'll all clear out so I can pass? OK then...
- And the countdown to the kids who have never seen anyone their age before hugging on first meeting in 5, 4, 3, 2.....awwwwwwwwe, *sniffs* MLK would have been proud to see the dream come true...
- So, the boyfriend was taken hostage on his tour of nations that are ticked off that we won't give them any embryos? Wait, how could they do that after working so hard to make him likeable? I'll never trust the writers again after toying with my emotions so liberally! Those bastards!


I really hope the writers have gotten all the stupid cliches out of their system after using so many this week.
I wondered why, when he could have called the police @ roadblock & reported "anything", he reported himself being in the area .. ? I was waiting for him to report 5 guys in Swastikas & M16's setting a fire behind the Pharmacy ...
It wasn't clear that the cops even knew he was in that area ...
I ASSumed the cellphone was some disposable not traceable to him, so I can forgive that ...
He was so laid back about the tracker, even after it was removed he was daydreaming at the sky standing in front of his vehicle before 'eventually' tossng it ... instead of immediatley crushing it & tearing off at high speed worried they were on his tail ...
It's of course going to be the same for him as w/ the female doctor, he probably gets caught, then they find out he's valuable to the program & gets his son back after signing "one of those contracts", as she did .....

Last edited by MeatChicken; 08-01-2014 at 10:44 AM.
MeatChicken is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
I wondered why, when he could have called the police @ roadblock & reported "anything", he reported himself being in the area .. ? I was waiting for him to report 5 guys in Swastikas & M16's setting a fire behind the Pharmacy ...
It wasn't clear that the cops even knew he was in that area ...
Don't you know? In TV and movies, any time a main character is running from the law, the police road blocks are always for him. There are never any other criminals on the loose.

The real secret to getting through them, though, is having the right disguise....


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
I ASSumed the cellphone was some disposable not traceable to him, so I can forgive that ...
That was one heck of a nice disposable phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
He was so laid back about the tracker, even after it was removed he was daydreaming at the sky standing in front of his vehicle before 'eventually' tossng it ... instead of immediatley crushing it & tearing off at high speed worried they were on his tail ...
Maybe he was looking for a rat to eat it so the authorities would be tracking something moving.

Hey, it worked in Total Recall....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
It's of course going to be the same for him as w/ the female doctor, he probably gets caught, then they find out he's valuable to the program & gets his son back after signing "one of those contracts", as she did .....
Hopefully he doesn't have the same role the program as Don Johnson in "A Boy and His Dog"....
NetworkTV is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off