AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
"The Flash" on CW

Premiere:
Tuesday, October 7, 8pm

Barry Allen was just 11 years old when his mother was killed in a bizarre and terrifying incident and his father was falsely convicted of the murder. With his life changed forever by the tragedy, Barry was taken in and raised by Detective Joe West, the father of Barry's best friend, Iris. Now, Barry has become a brilliant, driven and endearingly geeky CSI investigator, whose determination to uncover the truth about his mother's strange death leads him to follow up on every unexplained urban legend and scientific advancement that comes along. Barry's latest obsession is a cutting edge particle accelerator, created by visionary physicist Harrison Wells and his S.T.A.R. Labs team, who claim that this invention will bring about unimaginable advancements in power and medicine. However, something goes horribly wrong during the public unveiling, and when the devastating explosion causes a freak storm, many lives are lost and Barry is struck by lightning.

After nine months in a coma, Barry awakens to find his life has changed once again - the accident has given him the power of super speed, granting him the ability to move through Central City like an unseen guardian angel. Though initially excited by his newfound powers, Barry is shocked to discover he is not the only "meta-human" who was created in the wake of the accelerator explosion - and not everyone is using their new powers for good. In the months since the accident, the city has seen a sharp increase in missing people, unexplained deaths and other strange phenomena. Barry now has a renewed purpose - using his gift of speed to protect the innocent, while never giving up on his quest to solve his mother's murder and clear his father's name. For now, only a few close friends and associates know that Barry is literally the fastest man alive, but it won't be long before the world learns what Barry Allen has become... The Flash.

The series stars Grant Gustin ("Glee," "Arrow") as Barry Allen/The Flash, Candice Patton ("The Game") as Iris West, Rick Cosnett ("The Vampire Diaries") as Eddie Thawne, Danielle Panabaker ("Necessary Roughness," "Justified") as Caitlin Snow, Carlos Valdes ("Once" on Broadway ) as Cisco Ramon, with Tom Cavanagh ("Ed," "Eli Stone") as Harrison Wells and Jesse L. Martin ("Law & Order") as Detective West. THE FLASH is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti ("Arrow," "The Tomorrow People," "Green Lantern"), Andrew Kreisberg ("Arrow," "Eli Stone"), David Nutter ("Arrow," "Game of Thrones") and Sarah Schechter. The pilot was directed by David Nutter. This series is based upon characters published by DC Entertainment.

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/the-flash

---

Since there is a lot of coverage of the show now and you can actually watch the pilot (if you know where to look ) I thought I would make a new thread instead of filling up Arrow.

If you didn't know (as I did not) there is a nice callback to the earlier series by casting John Wesley Shipp as Barry's father. Read some more coverage: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...ground-running

I haven't watched the pilot yet and I'm not sure if I will, so if anyone else does please spoilerize yourself with the details. I'm interested to know if it's good or bad though based on the baggy-suited leaping we caught glimpses of. Early press reaction seems positive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The first episode of the first series was surprisingly good although it really went downhill after that.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Just read the DC said they will not be doing movies tie ins and that the TV shows are in a separate world from the movies. Guess that could be a good and bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
The first episode of the first series was surprisingly good although it really went downhill after that.
How many 'Flash' episodes have been finished and made available?
Old 07-19-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

How many 'Flash' episodes have been finished and made available?
He's referring to this version featuring new Barry's dad:

Only the pilot for the CW version has made it into the wild so far, but I think I'll hold out for some HD and 5.1 before I take a look.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Do we even know for sure that the first episode in October will be the pilot, or could it be an altered premiere episode?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Do we even know for sure that the first episode in October will be the pilot, or could it be an altered premiere episode?
They might alter the current version slightly, we can't really know, but the pilot/premiere episode is the one that they are showing on the TCA press tour right now. According to the press and creators it's a fully realised version with all the effects work in place.

"The pilot episode — featuring Grant Gustin as police scientist-turned-world's fastest man Barry Allen, Jesse L. Martin as his cop mentor Joe West and Tom Cavanagh as STAR Labs scientist Harrison Wells, among others — is one of the most satisfying of any of the new network shows debuting this fall, full of action, special effects and sincere streak of emotion carried by both Gustin and Martin. The super-speed effects are so good, in fact, that some reporters wondered how the show can maintain the production values on a weekly basis.

"We're thinking about starting a Kickstarter," joked Kreisberg. "Obviously, the pilot had a lot of resources at its disposal, but a lot of the pilot was R&D for the series, and the pilot was a steep learning curve. With 'Arrow,' I remember we ourselves watched the pilot and wondered, 'How are we going to do this every week?' And 'Arrow' has only gotten bigger and better. Whereas that's about stunts and this is about visual effects, we're hoping we'll be able to maintain the same level of action, adventure and excitement. So far, with what we've been doing, we feel like we can.""

Last edited by VisionOn; 07-19-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We also get a return to the days of the good old genre crossover stories too. I've missed those Buffy/Angel events.

Even though The Flash's problems in Central City will mainly be separate from the crime-riddled Starling City in Arrow, the network has already planned a special two-hour crossover event later this fall. "Episodes 8 of both shows, Arrow and Flash, are going to be a two-hour crossover event," Kreisberg said to TVGuide following the panel. "[Also], in Episode 4, Felicity [Emily Bett Rickards] is going to come to The Flash."

Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
We also get a return to the days of the good old genre crossover stories too. I've missed those Buffy/Angel events.

Even though The Flash's problems in Central City will mainly be separate from the crime-riddled Starling City in Arrow, the network has already planned a special two-hour crossover event later this fall. "Episodes 8 of both shows, Arrow and Flash, are going to be a two-hour crossover event," Kreisberg said to TVGuide following the panel. "[Also], in Episode 4, Felicity [Emily Bett Rickards] is going to come to The Flash."
Rats. I was hoping for a Flash crossover with one of the CW teeny shows. On a related note how many songs are in the Flash pilot?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Never watched Arrow. In fact, the only CW show I've ever watched was Nikita. I'll be adding the Flash to that list.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 07-20-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Never watched Arrow. In fact, the only CW show I've ever watched was Nikita. I'll be adding the Flash to that list.
If you haven't watched Arrow then you are missing out. Especially if you plan to watch The Flash. Barry Allen's story begins in season two with the two-part episode that introduces him.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
If you haven't watched Arrow then you are missing out. Especially if you plan to watch The Flash. Barry Allen's story begins in season two with the two-part episode that introduces him.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll add Arrow to my Netflix queue. Is it only 2 seasons so far?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 07-20-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, so you still have time to catch up. It's far more mature than most of the stuff on CW, although I would still say that Nikita was better.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, so you still have time to catch up. It's far more mature than most of the stuff on CW, although I would still say that Nikita was better.
Arrow uses digitally induced 'camera' tricks way too much. I hope Flash avoids that.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Don't want to say anything that could be considered spoiler--and I actively avoid them--but there is some fun news from comic con this past week. Prison Break star Wentworth Miller will be Captain Cold. And they have already stated some b-team heroes from DC universe will be making appearances. One they mentioned is Firestorm, which will be very interesting to see how they pull off.

Producers say they are dropping tons of hints for what's in store this season in the premiere, including some big villains. Lots of Easter eggs too, for the comic fans.

I'm happy Arrow was successful enough to give us more of this universe. This show will be very different in tone from Arrow which is good. And it'll definitely be more fantastical, as we are talking about real powers now.

First big Arrow/Flash crossover will be episode 8. I'm anxious for this show. Hope the star can pull it off!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I still don't know how they can do a crossover episode when the shows effectively exist in different universes.

Barry: "Oliver, help me take out this guy who throws knives with his mind."
Oliver: "Don't be an idiot. There's no such thing as telekinesis."
Old 07-31-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I still don't know how they can do a crossover episode when the shows effectively exist in different universes.

How do they exist in different universes?

There's magic drugs on Arrow... it isn't much of a leap to get to the other stuff.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm also not sure where you get they are in different universes. It is very plain they coexist. If you are speaking metaphorically, given the groundedness of Arrow and more fantasticalness of Flash, just look at the MCU. Up until the alien invasion in Avengers, every hero was science based. (Even Thor arguably... just way advanced science.) And they are slowly stepping into the metaphysical/fantasical with GotG and Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
Producers say they are dropping tons of hints for what's in store this season in the premiere, including some big villains. Lots of Easter eggs too, for the comic fans.
Not being a comic-book reader, I missed all of the easter eggs.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From a comic book point of view they do not exist in different universes unless something has changed in the last several years.

Firestorm would be neat although the comic book itself did not contain any great stories although I guess the same could be said for Flash unlike the Green Arrow/Green Lantern late 60's stories.

Last edited by wuther; 07-31-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Uh...did you miss the episodes of Arrow that introduced Barry Allen this past season?

Flash has been positioned as a spin off of Arrow, so they both are in the same TV continuity. Now if either pop up on Fox' Gotham, or NBC's Constantine, then you'll have a head scratcher.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From a comic book point of view they do not exist in different universes unless something has changed in the last several years.
This isn't a comic book, though; it's a TV show with its own continuity loosely based on that of the comic books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Uh...did you miss the episodes of Arrow that introduced Barry Allen this past season?
The episodes introduced Barry, yes, but they didn't introduce The Flash. Barry went into a coma after being struck by lightning, and that's the last we heard from him. Felicity never said, "Hey, guess what, guys? Barry woke up and now has superpowers!" I think there's still a difference between villains being given a strength serum that can be reversed and a superhero/villain gaining innate supernatural abilities that can't be taken away and never wear off.

Last I heard, the producers have already said that despite starting The Flash as a spinoff and having villains with superpowers in that show, they aren't going to change the "laws" of Arrow to have enemies shooting lightning bolts from their hands or fire from their eyes. We've been given to believe that Arrow will remain a show where Oliver fights "normal" enemies and other problems, and not supervillains.

Given that, I'm not sure how they can do crossover episodes without breaking Arrow's "rules", i.e. if The Flash needs help battling a supervillain, it would change the kind of foes Oliver faces, and if The Flash needs help solving a non-supervillain related problem, it wouldn't make much sense, since he will have already saved people from supervillains by the time the crossover takes place, thus making us wonder why he would need to ask for Oliver's help when he's already tackled bigger problems by himself.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how they can do crossover episodes without breaking Arrow's "rules", i.e. if The Flash needs help battling a supervillain, it would change the kind of foes Oliver faces, and if The Flash needs help solving a non-supervillain related problem, it wouldn't make much sense, since he will have already saved people from supervillains by the time the crossover takes place, thus making us wonder why he would need to ask for Oliver's help when he's already tackled bigger problems by himself.
The same can be said for The Avengers or Justice League. Every member has fought supervillains on their own turf, so why do they need to team up? Especially when Superman is involved.

This is amateur Flash. Why would he instantly become a super crime fighter? He can move fast but he still can't fight. It's not as if he can be in two places either. What if one of the Central bad guys hides in Starling City while Flash is trying to deal with another that just arrived in Central? There are multiple reasons for Flash and Arrow to team up. Arrow has the money and resources for one.

Just because supernatural enemies have not appeared before doesn't make the universes the show takes place in disconnected. It just means they haven't reached everywhere yet. There's no Netflix in Vietnam but that doesn't stop it existing elsewhere in the world.

In a couple of seasons the fallout from STAR Labs might leach into Arrow too.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This isn't a comic book, though; it's a TV show with its own continuity loosely based on that of the comic books.
TV show continuity is a oxymoron especially with spin-offs. I doubt if anybody besides you worries about it.

I guess you could mention Marvel's continuity which is more stifling then good.

Last edited by wuther; 08-01-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
TV show continuity is a oxymoron especially with spin-offs.
It sounds like you've been watching a lot of dreck lately. There is such a thing as a consistent TV show with continuity, but it's certainly getting harder to find, and most such shows are probably on cable these days.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It sounds like you've been watching a lot of dreck lately. There is such a thing as a consistent TV show with continuity, but it's certainly getting harder to find, and most such shows are probably on cable these days.
It has never existed which anyone with a knowledge of TV history can prove. I can give lots of examples and 'cable' shows are no different.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
It has never existed which anyone with a knowledge of TV history can prove. I can give lots of examples and 'cable' shows are no different.
Clearly, you either don't watch enough TV, or you've been watching the wrong shows. There have been a lot of excellent series with very tight continuity in recent years. 'Breaking Bad' comes to mind, 'Mad Men' is another. 'Justified'. 'The Americans'. HBO is lousy with 'em. And on and on.

You need to stay in more.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The whole premise of the Flash is that the big McGuffin in Star Labs / Central City explodes exposing the local population to multi-dimensional rays/radiation and dark matter. Barry is struck by lightning, covered in unknown chemicals, as well as, the fallout from the explosion. He becomes a "meta-human". One of more than a few that share similar experiences and turn good or bad in the Central City area. So superpowers start cropping up and the Flash will either fight or ally with other "metas". Central and Starling cities are definitely in the same universe. You're just going to have to get used to the power of the week villain. Some will stick and become arch-enemies, others will be super redshirts.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Clearly, you either don't watch enough TV, or you've been watching the wrong shows. There have been a lot of excellent series with very tight continuity in recent years. 'Breaking Bad' comes to mind, 'Mad Men' is another. 'Justified'. 'The Americans'. HBO is lousy with 'em. And on and on.

You need to stay in more.
No I wont stay in so there. First I get accused of watching too much TV and then not enough. CW is not a pay channel, those shows have too few episodes and/or short lived for louse continuity to be obvious and besides you just are cherry picking rather then the entire TV line up so stay in more and watch them all. I can cherry pick too like the original Prisoner or maybe not since it used the lack of continuity to confuse viewers.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
The episodes introduced Barry, yes, but they didn't introduce The Flash. Barry went into a coma after being struck by lightning, and that's the last we heard from him. Felicity never said, "Hey, guess what, guys? Barry woke up and now has superpowers!" I think there's still a difference between villains being given a strength serum that can be reversed and a superhero/villain gaining innate supernatural abilities that can't be taken away and never wear off.
That super-strength serum isn't just that... it also brings people back from the dead! Slade and his daughter... both dead... both brought back with that serum. I would expect Green Arrow to be more grounded, and that's fine... but there were some classic comic team-ups with Green Lantern/Green Arrow and those two are about as opposite as you can get on the power spectrum... one guy shoots arrows, the other can make virtually anything with his mind and fly and goes off to other galaxies sometimes! But the stories worked and are some classic material.

No reason why Arrow and Flash can't have a crossover. Give them a bad-guy that needs something that neither can conquer on their own. Someone slightly super-powered that Ollie can't tackle lone, but Flash is inexperienced enough to tackle on his own... and there you go.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!

Tags
the cw , the flash