Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 122 Old 08-05-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Another good episode. Fierce competition and consequences. I'm pleased that it's available OD the day following its air date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 122 Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
As far as last night's episode, I couldn't figure out WHY the MP shot Sid. Did he answer the phone, did he see Sid reach for the gun, what?
Yes ... the MP "got a feelin' that something was off" with the guy ... and then walked up just in time to see him reaching for the gun ... end of story.

PS: The MP that shot was not the MP manning the gate house/answering the phone. That may have been unclear if you blinked at the wrong moment.
post #33 of 122 Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Yes ... the MP "got a feelin' that something was off" with the guy ... and then walked up just in time to see him reaching for the gun ... end of story.

PS: The MP that shot was not the MP manning the gate house/answering the phone. That may have been unclear if you blinked at the wrong moment.
I'm pretty sure the soldier who shot him was the one earlier in the show that wanted to see some action(he was the one who gave Frank the idea of how to get him out of the situation he was in), and he(the soldier) was also on the passengers side, so he would have had a clear view of the gun. He shot the passenger's window out(or in, however you want to phrase it) when he shot him.

Last edited by rebkell; 08-08-2014 at 05:33 PM.
post #34 of 122 Old 08-08-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I'm pretty sure the soldier who shot him was the one earlier in the show that wanted to see some action(he was the one who gave Frank the idea of how to get him out of the situation he was in), and he(the soldier) was also on the passengers side, so he would have had a clear view of the gun. He shot the passenger's window out(or in, however you want to phrase it) when he shot him.
100% Correct.
post #35 of 122 Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another good one tonight. This is quickly becoming my favorite show. That's certainly one tense group of people from top to bottom. Frank has got such a winning personality. LOL

If Salem has already been renewed for a second season(which it has), from the few shows I saw of it, then this one should already get two more seasons right now. IMO

Last edited by rebkell; 08-10-2014 at 10:02 PM.
post #36 of 122 Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Good show, worth the time it takes to watch. One thing I noticed was the way they were checked for documents at the gate. The guards would not know a real secret from a shopping list for the A & P.
post #37 of 122 Old 08-16-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I caught all of the shows On Demand last night. A good way to watch it-no commericials.

It seems to me the melodrama is getting pretty thick. I would like to know what is true and what is fiction, because I suspect a whole lot of fiction.

Anybody remember the series that aired on PBS, a believe a British/American co-production? It was more centered on Oppenheimer and his personal involvements. I just can't remember its name.

CW Hinkle
post #38 of 122 Old 08-16-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post
I caught all of the shows On Demand last night. A good way to watch it-no commericials.

It seems to me the melodrama is getting pretty thick. I would like to know what is true and what is fiction, because I suspect a whole lot of fiction.

Anybody remember the series that aired on PBS, a believe a British/American co-production? It was more centered on Oppenheimer and his personal involvements. I just can't remember its name.
Was it Oppenheimer ? I don't think I've seen it, but it looks interesting.
post #39 of 122 Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:

I suspect that the film you have in mind is Fat Man and Little Boy (1989). It focuses on Robert Oppenheimer and Colonel (later General) Leslie Groves' often fractious relationship during the Manhattan project. I thought it was decent but a lot of the critics hated it. The blade thin Paul Newman was spectacularly miscast as the obese Groves. Still, I thought it was decent, as good or better than Manhattan has been so far.
post #40 of 122 Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I suspect that the film you have in mind is Fat Man and Little Boy (1989). It focuses on Robert Oppenheimer and Colonel (later General) Leslie Groves' often fractious relationship during the Manhattan project. I thought it was decent but a lot of the critics hated it. The blade thin Paul Newman was spectacularly miscast as the obese Groves. Still, I thought it was decent, as good or better than Manhattan has been so far.
I think he was talking about Oppenheimer, it was a BBC production, that ran in 1980, I found it on youtube and watched it this afternoon, that was quite a binge, it was interesting, had all the main players and it starred a very young Sam Waterston as J. Robert Oppenheimer(Oppy as he was called throughout). First time I've ever watched an entire show on youtube, let alone the entire mini-series. Considering it was a 1980 show, the quality wasn't all that bad, the subtitles were an absolute joke though.
post #41 of 122 Old 08-17-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think he was talking about Oppenheimer, it was a BBC production, that ran in 1980, I found it on youtube and watched it this afternoon, that was quite a binge, it was interesting, had all the main players and it starred a very young Sam Waterston as J. Robert Oppenheimer(Oppy as he was called throughout). First time I've ever watched an entire show on youtube, let alone the entire mini-series. Considering it was a 1980 show, the quality wasn't all that bad, the subtitles were an absolute joke though.
In any event we agree that Shaded Dogfood probably had to be remembering either Fat Man and Little Boy or Oppenheimer. Maybe with our reminders he can tell us which it is.
post #42 of 122 Old 08-18-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Knew it wasn't Fat Man and Little Boy because that was a theatrical release. It had to have been Oppenheimer, though I thought it had a longer title. If the credits were over a spooling tape (or wire) recorder then that was it.

CW Hinkle
post #43 of 122 Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Knew it wasn't Fat Man and Little Boy because that was a theatrical release. It had to have been Oppenheimer, though I thought it had a longer title. If the credits were over a spooling tape (or wire) recorder then that was it.
Yeah, it had that, check this link out for a couple of minutes:

Last edited by rebkell; 08-19-2014 at 06:58 AM.
post #44 of 122 Old 08-19-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I remember watching Oppenheimer the 1980 BBC production quite a few years back- it was very well done BTW.
Sam Waterston was certainly more personable as J. Robert Oppenheimer than the way he's portrayed on Manhattan as a no-nonsense, no-personality overlord.

Speaking of social graces... Frank really does need to work on his people skills a tad

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #45 of 122 Old 08-19-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Back to the show, Manhattan has become one of my favorite shows. I really look forward to watching it.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #46 of 122 Old 08-19-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought this week's episode was the best of the season so far. The depiction of Frank and Paul's walk back to HQ with the young soldier who Frank had disarmed was extremely well done. I also liked the scene at the end in which Paul stuck his neck out and stole some more primers from Akley's "Thin Man" group so that Frank could repeat his previous experiment, which apparently had worked, and this time successfully film it. That was a lot of fun!
post #47 of 122 Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing you learn from this show: 'Real Physicists smoke like chimneys' I'm disappointed in Frank, it just seems out of character for him, the scene at the end that is, it was alluded to earlier in the series, but still it just seems like some crap the writers added for no good reason other than to add some of that prevalent anti-hero worship going on nowadays, as if there isn't enough drama and tension nearly every minute in the show already.
post #48 of 122 Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
One thing you learn from this show: 'Real Physicists smoke like chimneys' I'm disappointed in Frank, it just seems out of character for him, the scene at the end that is, it was alluded to earlier in the series, but still it just seems like some crap the writers added for no good reason other than to add some of that prevalent anti-hero worship going on nowadays, as if there isn't enough drama and tension nearly every minute in the show already.

I'm wondering if the Hispanic maid is perhaps more than just a maid. It'd be a pretty good cover for someone with such limited English language skills to be a spy...

Bill
post #49 of 122 Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Lots of people "smoked like chimneys" back in the day. The tobacco companies made you feel out of place if you didn't.
post #50 of 122 Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Lots of people "smoked like chimneys" back in the day. The tobacco companies made you feel out of place if you didn't.
Somehow I seriously doubt these guys gave a rats a$$ about the tobacco companies and looks, they wanted their nicotine. I know the feeling when I was doing a lot of programming, I would have a cigarette nearly constantly burning, not necessarily smoking them, but always wanted one handy when it came time to sit back and figure out the next move.
post #51 of 122 Old 08-26-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm wondering if the Hispanic maid is perhaps more than just a maid. It'd be a pretty good cover for someone with such limited English language skills to be a spy...

Her language skills may not be as limited as it appears.

It's true that there was considerable worry about south of our border going Nazi during the war, hence the unfinished Orson Welles film, The Three Caballeros from Disney (his films were very popular), Carmen Miranda, among other offerings from Hollywood (Nelson Rockefeller was involved, if memory serves).

CW Hinkle
post #52 of 122 Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hear the ratings are pretty weak on this show, I wish it would get discovered by a lot more people, but I'm worried. It's right up there in my favorites and hope WGN will give it a shot. I wonder if the exclusive HULU streaming is good or bad for it? Is the show even available on demand anywhere besides Hulu? I don't think there is even an on demand for WGN on Directv.

Enjoyed tonight's show as usual. Trip to Oak Ridge, plutonium problems, DDT everywhere. At least we have I think 7 more shows to go this season.
post #53 of 122 Old 09-02-2014, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I totally agree with your point. Too bad, I was really getting to admire Frank.

I wonder if Frank's supposed to correspond to an actual physicist on the project or has just been added for dramatic effect.
post #54 of 122 Old 09-02-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I totally agree with your point. Too bad, I was really getting to admire Frank.

I wonder if Frank's supposed to correspond to an actual physicist on the project or has just been added for dramatic effect.
I don't know, maybe he's like some kind of hybrid of various characters and the way the writers visualized a typical scientist at the project.
post #55 of 122 Old 09-02-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...Enjoyed tonight's show as usual. Trip to Oak Ridge, plutonium problems, DDT everywhere....
I'm guessing Frank's wife will eventually conclude that the DDT they're spraying on everything (including dinner plates!!) killed her bee's...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."

Last edited by replayrob; 09-02-2014 at 12:02 PM.
post #56 of 122 Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ rebkell pretty much nailed it!
In "the making of..." 40+ min long documentary that aired about a week before the first episode- John Benjamin Hickey (Frank Winter) mentioned his character is an amalgamation of 3-4 different real people that worked on the Manhattan project.

Last edited by replayrob; 09-02-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo
post #57 of 122 Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been trying to dig up some ratings and from what I've found the show isn't doing that great, it would be a shame if we lost this one. I'm hoping WGN will give it a chance, and you never know, so I'll keep my fingers crossed some big wig loves it enough to keep it around. This show is definitely in my top 3 programs this summer, it's one of if not the main show I look forward to each week.
post #58 of 122 Old 09-02-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's true that there was considerable worry about south of our border going Nazi during the war...
That's understandable- They only had to look back 25 years to WW I where Germany urged Mexico to go to war with the US (the infamous Zimmermann Note incident http://www.infoplease.com/encycloped...mann-note.html ).

post #59 of 122 Old 09-03-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I really like Manhattan and hope it gets renewed, although I am not terribly optimistic. I think what the show has done a wonderful job of showing the Army's draconian methods of protecting the security of the Manhattan Project. From the perspective of our 21st Century sensibilities, much of what was done, for example concealing the lethality of being exposed to radiation, seems horrible. The show makes clear, though, that the stakes could not have been higher. An example of this is that the famously liberal Roosevelt administration had thousands of Japanese Americans rounded up and confined. Those were scary times and a lot of what to us seems awful went on because those in charge were deeply afraid that if they acted less decisively, their "softness" might result in the war being lost. This is just one more example of the truth of the old adage, "Foresight is veiled and dim but hindsight is always 20/20."

Last edited by gwsat; 09-03-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #60 of 122 Old 09-03-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I really like Manhattan and hope it gets renewed, although I am not terrible optimistic.
Well, not many gave Halt and Catch Fire any chance of a renewal because of it's numbers... but were pleasantly surprised when it got picked up... so there's always hope till we hear otherwise.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page