5Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 08-01-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The Knick on Cinemax

Set in downtown New York in 1900, 'The Knick' is a new Cinemax drama series from Academy Award and Emmy-winning director Steven Soderbergh. It is centered on the Knickerbocker Hospital and the groundbreaking surgeons, nurses and staff who work there, pushing the bounds of medicine in a time of astonishingly high mortality rates and zero antibiotics. Soderbergh directs all 10 episodes of the series' first season.

Academy Award and Emmy nominee Clive Owen stars as Doctor John Thackery, a brilliant surgeon pioneering new methods in the field, despite his secret addiction to cocaine. He leads a team of doctors including his protégé Dr. Everett Gallinger; the young Dr. Bertie Chickering Jr. and Dr. Algernon Edwards, a promising surgeon who's been recently thrust upon him. The lively cast of characters at the hospital also includes Cornelia Robertson, the daughter of its benefactor, Captain August Robertson; surly ambulance driver Tom Cleary; Lucy Elkins; a fresh-faced nurse from the country; the crooked hospital administrator Herman Barrow; and Sister Harriet, a nun who isn't afraid to speak her mind.

Writers of the series are Jack Amiel and Michael Begler ("Raising Helen," "Big Miracle"), who also serve as executive producers, along with Gregory Jacobs ("Behind the Candelabra”), Stephen Soderbergh, Michael Sugar ("Rendition") and Clive Owen. Michael Polaire ("Behind the Candelabra") produces; Steven Katz ("Shadow of the Vampire") is a supervising producer and wrote episodes 5 and 9.

'The Knick' premiers on Cinemax on Friday, August 08, 2014 at 9:00 PM CST

For more information about 'The Knick' please visit the below websites.

Official:
http://www.cinemax.com/the-knick/

IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2937900/

See you guys at the premier next week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Looks interesting, we're having a flood of period pieces lately and I'm like a pig in slop, surely some of them will stick.
post #3 of 34 Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I saw a trailer for The Knick on Cinemax last night and was intrigued enough to setup a season pass to record the show. Then, this afternoon, I found a Grantland piece about the show, written by one of my favorite critics, Andy Greenwald. Greenwald really likes the show and his piece provides some fascinating insights. For example, Steven Soderbergh directed all 10 episodes of Season 1 and also ran the camera and edited all of them. Talk about the new Orson Welles! Anyway, the piece was terrific.

Cinemax appears to be the perfect place for The Knick. The show seems to raise excess to an art form much in the same way as Strike Back and Banshee. I hope the show turns out to be as good when we see it as Greenwald makes it appear to be in his piece.
post #4 of 34 Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'm in.
post #5 of 34 Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
gwsat,
Thanks to the Andy Greenwald review I am in. When I read the Emily Nussbaum's mostly negative review in this weeks New Yorker I cancelled my recording. But the Greenwald review is convincing.
post #6 of 34 Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiophileWalt View Post
gwsat,
Thanks to the Andy Greenwald review I am in. When I read the Emily Nussbaum's mostly negative review in this weeks New Yorker I cancelled my recording. But the Greenwald review is convincing.
It's impossible to agree with a single critic all the time, of course, but Greenwald's stuff always provides useful insights. Besides, whether I agree with him or not, he's entertaining.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-08-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Forgot the premier is tonight. I got plans so I'm unable to watch it live
post #8 of 34 Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Headlined as "hellish" hospital antics in Alessandra Stanley's NY Times review , reads like a welcome departure from the zombie/vampire fests I've dropped this summer. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 08-08-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 34 Old 08-08-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Greenwald did a podcast with Bill Simmons yesterday and they led with discussion of this show. They shot the entire show the entire show in 73 days
post #10 of 34 Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Watched the first ep and I'm definitely in.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #11 of 34 Old 08-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not a fan of the soundtrack. Incongruous with the time period.
post #12 of 34 Old 08-08-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
Not a fan of the soundtrack. Incongruous with the time period.
Agreed, that score sounds like something from the 1970s, cheesy synthesizer.
post #13 of 34 Old 08-09-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I really enjoyed the first episode. It was a good way to introduce the characters including doctors, nurses, administrators, and the crooked health inspector and "ambulance crews." The conditions were so appalling, it's hard to imagine that they existed just over a century ago. The botched Caesarean Section and the sloppy bowel repair were two vivid examples of procedures with a high risk of mortality.

Add to this the cocaine-drive chief surgeon played by Clive Owens and also the Andre Holland character, a gifted black surgeon trying to break into a white world, and it looks like this series will be a winner.
post #14 of 34 Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I don't think its just cocaine, he just uses cocaine to get up and function. I think opiates are his drug of choice.
post #15 of 34 Old 08-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I saw a trailer for The Knick on Cinemax last night and was intrigued enough to setup a season pass to record the show. Then, this afternoon, I found a Grantland piece about the show, written by one of my favorite critics, Andy Greenwald. Greenwald really likes the show and his piece provides some fascinating insights. For example, Steven Soderbergh directed all 10 episodes of Season 1 and also ran the camera and edited all of them. Talk about the new Orson Welles! Anyway, the piece was terrific.

Cinemax appears to be the perfect place for The Knick. The show seems to raise excess to an art form much in the same way as Strike Back and Banshee. I hope the show turns out to be as good when we see it as Greenwald makes it appear to be in his piece.
Soderbergh is his own cameraman and sometimes editor on his feature films as well. Cinemax has already renewed this for a second season and Soderbergh has said he will again direct each episode. This show has a lot of promise I hope it comes thru.
post #16 of 34 Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Greenwald did a podcast with Bill Simmons yesterday and they led with discussion of this show. They shot the entire show the entire show in 73 days
Your having mentioned Andy Greenwald and Bill Simmons reminded me that I saw a terrific Grantland piece yesterday about Steven Soderbergh's career. It is long but I found it very interesting. It made me more ready than ever to see The Knick. Haven't watched the pilot yet but hope to get to it tonight or tomorrow.
post #17 of 34 Old 08-09-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Caught the premier on HBO and was pleasantly surprised when I recognized the underused Matt Frewer.

Then I remembered the premise, and yep, sure enough Matt Frewer was underused again.

Don't get Cinemax but this seemed like a quality piece.

post #18 of 34 Old 08-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Caught the premier on HBO and was pleasantly surprised when I recognized the underused Matt Frewer.

Then I remembered the premise, and yep, sure enough Matt Frewer was underused again.

Don't get Cinemax but this seemed like a quality piece.
Poor Frewer got a bullet to the head in Orphan Black, where he was used to great effect, and now another bullet to the head of his own doing. I don't think we've seen the last of him. Probably return in more hallucinations. It does look like a quality piece.
post #19 of 34 Old 08-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Matt might become the next Sean Bean.
acebreathe likes this.
post #20 of 34 Old 08-10-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Crap, watched the first episode on HBO tonight and I'm hooked, now I have to see if I can get a good deal on Cinemax!
post #21 of 34 Old 08-10-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Among the hospital horrors, which killed many patients world-wide, was bare-handed surgery--sometimes fresh from corpse dissections--without antiseptics or sterilized gloves. According to this Infection and antisepsis article section, the live-saving benefits of sterilization evolved in Europe by the mid-19th century. Hope they'll dramatize these New York doctors realizing what they've been doing. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 08-10-2014 at 08:08 AM.
post #22 of 34 Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I really enjoyed it, and I haven't enjoyed any recent shows this much. I hope the quality continues throughout the series.

I enjoyed the soundtrack as well. Partly it's due to my enjoyment of this type of electronic music dating back to the 1970s. It was reminiscent of mid-1970s Tangerine Dream. I didn't feel that it's inappropriate to the setting of the show. After all, most soundtracks aren't. To be truly contemporary, they'd have to use American composers of that time (Ives, perhaps?) or popular music (ragtime, popular songs). Using an electronic score emphasized that we're looking at 1900's medical practices, social norms, etc. through the lens of 2014 people.
acebreathe likes this.
post #23 of 34 Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
I really enjoyed it, and I haven't enjoyed any recent shows this much. I hope the quality continues throughout the series.

I enjoyed the soundtrack as well. Partly it's due to my enjoyment of this type of electronic music dating back to the 1970s. It was reminiscent of mid-1970s Tangerine Dream. I didn't feel that it's inappropriate to the setting of the show. After all, most soundtracks aren't. To be truly contemporary, they'd have to use American composers of that time (Ives, perhaps?) or popular music (ragtime, popular songs). Using an electronic score emphasized that we're looking at 1900's medical practices, social norms, etc. through the lens of 2014 people.
Yes, I think the soundtrack was used to help convey the premise that what these people were doing was very progressive, "bleeding edge" work in the field of medicine, and even industry and society at large. To many in that era it must have been a very exciting time, those in a position to partake in it of course, a time where advancements in almost everything were happening in leaps and bounds instead of slowly trickling forward. The opening sequence is what had me hooked up, the whole thing very well done.
post #24 of 34 Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I enjoyed the pilot episode too. The primitive surgical techniques, coupled with turn of the Century hospital politics has setup a fascinating story. Clive Owen has been terrific so far as has been André Holland as Doctor Edwards.

I know that sepsis was rampant during the Civil War and resulted in many amputations and deaths from infection that wouldn't have happened in a later age. Although The Knick is set 35 years after the end of the Civil War, I have no idea how far techniques for the avoidance of infections had advanced. I did notice that the doctors in the Knickerbocker Hospital performed abdominal surgeries barehanded, which made clear to me at least that such techniques still had a long way to go.

Thanks to VisionOn for making the connection that the doomed Doctor Christenson was played by Matt Frewer.
post #25 of 34 Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just found an interesting piece in Slate, entitled How Accurate Is The Knick’s Take on Medical History? Highly recommended!
post #26 of 34 Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Just found an interesting piece in Slate, entitled How Accurate Is The Knick’s Take on Medical History? Highly recommended!
Very interesting article...thanks for the link.
post #27 of 34 Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Taken from the HoTP thread at the top of the forum

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
Cinemax’s ‘The Knick’ OK In Friday Debut
By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - Aug. 11, 2013

The debut of The Knick, already picked up for a second 10-episode season last month by Cinemax, started off with few fireworks. The heavily promoted 10 PM August 8 premiere of the Steven Soderbergh-directed and Clive Owen-starring period medical drama drew an average of 354,000 viewers. With three replays on that night, The Knick had a total of 657,000 viewers on Cinemax this weekend. That’s down from the 438,000 viewers that the cabler’s first truly homegrown drama Banshee did in its January 11, 2013 debut – which was also at 10 PM on a Friday. That HBO-owned Cinemax saw the Alan Ball EP’d action drama series get 965,000 viewers over three plays on its 2013 premiere night. Now renewed for a third season, Banshee has gained considerable traction over its first two seasons with the March 16, 2014 S2 finale getting a record 733,000 viewers – a high for Cinemax. However, The Knick perked up with a 9 PM August 9 showing on HBO, which attracted 533,000 viewers.

Set in the quickly changing NYC of 1900, The Knick revolves around the personalities and work at the fictional Knickerboker Hospital, with Owen leading the ensemble cast playing as the brilliant and eccentric Chief Surgeon John Thackery. The series is Soderbergh’s first launched project since HBO’s 2013’s Emmy-winning Behind The Candelabra. The Oscar winner helmed all 10 episodes of Season 1 of the show and will do the same for Season 2. The Knick was created by Jack Amiel and Michael Begler. The duo serve as EPs on the show along with Soderbergh, Owen and Gregory Jacobs and Michael Sugar.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/the-...-owen-banshee/
post #28 of 34 Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
Very interesting article...thanks for the link.
Yes, good read. I thought some of the things about the show seemed out of sync with the era, but it worked for me as I enjoyed it, and I'll be back for the rest of the episodes.
gwsat likes this.
post #29 of 34 Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, good read. I thought some of the things about the show seemed out of sync with the era, but it worked for me as I enjoyed it, and I'll be back for the rest of the episodes.
Yeah, it was nice to understand that some advances in, for example, control of sepsis with the use of rubber gloves in surgery, were already in use for some time before the turn of the Century.
post #30 of 34 Old 08-16-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Fantastic episode! Don't miss episode 2 this show is outstanding!

These are just my opinions.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page