2014 PGA Championship on TNT & CBS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
2014 PGA Championship on TNT & CBS

Another stellar telecast by CBS - thank God for 1080i, which beats the pants off ESPN/ABC's 720p, and always has. Do not argue with me for I speak with the voice of righteousness.

And another thing to thank The Creator for: Jim Nance has not once uttered the most ridiculous phrase in sports broadcasts (hopefully, I haven't seen every minute). Yes, I'm speaking of the groan producing, wince inducing "glory's last shot" in reference to the PGA Championship's position as the last played of golf's four major tournaments. I had a barf bag ready, but thankfully, didn't need it. Somebody at CBS finally got a clue.

Should be an exciting finish tomorrow with a great cast of wannabees (and one "already be" - Phil) chasing the World's Best Golfer. And BTW, Tiger missed the cut.

Last edited by archiguy; 08-09-2014 at 05:56 PM.
archiguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-09-2014, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Distorted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx Area
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Can I be permitted to ask why mentioning "PGA Championship's position as the last played of golf's four major tournaments" should be verboten other than being well known to golf fans and therefore superfluous? People other than golf fans do watch these things, you know.

There was a considerable amount of discussion about Woods' decision to play with considerable and vulnerable injury, but little mention that he has a long history of tenacity and "never quit" that is the essence of the man. His win in the US Open in San Diego embodied that, and was the gutsiest performance I ever saw. Say what you will about his lesser attributes, and they are pronounced, but he has always been single-minded perusing golf greatness and indomnable for that. Golf needs a great foil to root against like baseball needs the &#%!ing Yankees. It's nearly as much fun when he isn't the standard.

.........

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Distorted is offline  
Old 08-10-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Can I be permitted to ask why mentioning "PGA Championship's position as the last played of golf's four major tournaments" should be verboten other than being well known to golf fans and therefore superfluous? People other than golf fans do watch these things, you know.
Because that particular phrase is cloying, hackneyed, and painful to listen to. I winced every time I heard it. I like to think Nance was embarrassed to have to say it. All that has nothing to do with the position of the tournament in the year's rotation which nearly every golf fan knows. Somebody at CBS finally realized that, apparently.

As to Tiger, it's getting old having him be the whole story every week, whether he's playing or not. That doesn't take away from his considerable accomplishments; just that it's refreshing to have the story revolve around someone who's actually playing well and in contention.

Enjoy the final round!
archiguy is online now  
Old 08-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
JohnS-MI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
And for those a little less excited by golf, remember to check whether you need to pad CBS tonight.
JohnS-MI is offline  
Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Member
 
trumperZ06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rain... Rain... go away.


This may be a long day.


Tiger draws non golfers in droves, maybe Mcllroy will be the new star.
trumperZ06 is offline  
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Would be nice if they had more than 4 different commercials.

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is online now  
Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Distorted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx Area
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Shazam, that was great viewing!

.........

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Distorted is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Boo ... bad juju at the end. I'm surprised Phil's head didn't explode.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Senior Member
 
mscottc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
...And another thing to thank The Creator for: Jim Nance has not once uttered the most ridiculous phrase in sports broadcasts (hopefully, I haven't seen every minute). Yes, I'm speaking of the groan producing, wince inducing "glory's last shot" in reference to the PGA Championship's position as the last played of golf's four major tournaments. I had a barf bag ready, but thankfully, didn't need it. Somebody at CBS finally got a clue....
You could be taken a whole lot more serious if you had spelled the announcer's name correctly. it is Jim Nantz, not "Nance."
mscottc is online now  
Old 08-11-2014, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottc View Post
You could be taken a whole lot more serious if you had spelled the announcer's name correctly. it is Jim Nantz, not "Nance."
Good grief. And your complaint could have been taken more seriously if you had used proper grammar. I suppose we all have our crosses to bear. Still, I consider the retirement of that painful phrase a solid win for golf broadcasting.

Congrats to Rory on another impressive win. I don't know if I would have elected to continue play in the gloaming. It was almost the wrong decision, as the fading light cost Fowler a chance at second, even as Phil's magical short game almost produced a chip-in tie for the ages.

Love CBS's use of ultra-slo-mo on the commercial bumpers. During the rainstorm, instead of the usual close-ups of spinning balls or pirouetting tees, they threw two buckets of water at each other and filmed the collision.
archiguy is online now  
Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
reds75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Unreal day of golf. So much for golf being too boring on tv. Fantastic finish.
reds75 is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Distorted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx Area
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
336 yard drive over the trees with no roll??? What the hell!

.........

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Distorted is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
Unreal day of golf. So much for golf being too boring on tv. Fantastic finish.
for sure. indeed, the whole tournament was great fun to watch in spite of the weather. a good friend of mine who's mostly a football fan even texted me about how exciting the golf was . great challenges from Phil, Rickie and Stenson but Rory was just a little better. if only Phil's eagle chip had dropped on #18 .....
grubadub is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
John Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 10,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Production was great throughout--as was the golf. Since darkness was such a factor near the end, though, wish they'd devise more methods of comparing what the golfers see versus cameras with wide open irises. Frequent announcer comments about the remarkable difference. Recall one late-evening Tiger Woods shot years ago when his camera conveyed near-darkness and another his long-shot landing near the flag. -- John


EDIT: Here's Tiger's year 2000 shot:
Cameras intensified the twilight scene; the darkness with the flame scene might be closer to what you'd see yourself.

Last edited by John Mason; 08-13-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: video add-on
John Mason is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Production was great throughout--as was the golf. Since darkness was such a factor near the end, though, wish they'd devise more methods of comparing what the golfers see versus cameras with wide open irises. Frequent announcer comments about the remarkable difference. Recall one late-evening Tiger Woods shot years ago when his camera conveyed near-darkness and another his long-shot landing near the flag. -- John
I live ~40 miles eastward of the course ... there was still plenty of light left. At my house, sunset was at 8:38pm EDT, Civil twilight ended at 9:06pm EDT ...Nautical at 9:40pm EDT ... In summer, it stays "light" almost all the way to 10pm EDT around these parts. ... Then again, I'm a night-owl

IMO, There was no (non-monetary) reason to rush play on the final hole ...

Just recalculated for the course itself: Aug 10, 2014: Sunset 8:42pm EDT, End Civil Twilight 9:10pm, End Nautical Twilight 9:45pm ... End of Civil twilight is time most folks would consider that it's "too dark" for normal daytime activities.

Last edited by HDTVChallenged; 08-12-2014 at 10:10 AM.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
John Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 10,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
I live ~40 miles eastward of the course ... there was still plenty of light left. At my house, sunset was at 8:38pm EDT, Civil twilight ended at 9:06pm EDT ...Nautical at 9:40pm EDT ... In summer, it stays "light" almost all the way to 10pm EDT around these parts. ... Then again, I'm a night-owl

IMO, There was no (non-monetary) reason to rush play on the final hole ...
Interesting. Thanks. Suspect those ominous rain clouds rolling in influenced the light. -- John
John Mason is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
336 yard drive over the trees with no roll??? What the hell!
The equipment and balls these guys use today give them a decided edge over previous decades. Having said that, I know Rory has a great gym work ethic, but when I saw his forearm after one shot on Sunday, I immediately thought steroids because that is what guys on steroids look like. Not saying he is, but...and he isn't the only one to raise my suspicions.
Aliens is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
I live ~40 miles eastward of the course ... there was still plenty of light left. At my house, sunset was at 8:38pm EDT, Civil twilight ended at 9:06pm EDT ...Nautical at 9:40pm EDT ... In summer, it stays "light" almost all the way to 10pm EDT around these parts. ... Then again, I'm a night-owl

IMO, There was no (non-monetary) reason to rush play on the final hole ...
It's not that you can't see, it's that you can't see well enough to play golf at a high level. That's different than just being able to "see". That's why they had to rush it.

When the light fades like that you lose your depth perception and the ability to see the rolls and break on the greens. It affects the short game the most, as we saw when Ricky 3-jacked it for the first (or maybe second) time all week to fall out of a tie for second. Rory said he was afraid to play a long sand shot because he couldn't gauge the distance to the pin correctly so he just popped it out and let the whole tournament ride on his lag putt. He was lucky he got it close because if he had left himself 4 or 5 feet, like Ricky did, he might have missed it and been looking at a Monday playoff.

He also said that if he had been forced to wait until Phil & Ricky finished out to play up to the green it would have been too late and he'd have had to call the round and come back the next day to finish. Which really would have sucked for his playing partner who was out of it by then and just trying to get off the course.
archiguy is online now  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
He also said that if he had been forced to wait until Phil & Ricky finished out to play up to the green it would have been too late and he'd have had to call the round and come back the next day to finish. Which really would have sucked for his playing partner who was out of it by then and just trying to get off the course.
All I'm saying is that if my name were Phil Mickelson, you'd still be peeling me off of the club house ceiling ... Professionals or not, the whole episode surely adversely affected the second-to-last group's play ... for what ... mostly just to bring the event in "on time." Phil and Ricky didn't deserve the bum's rush ... it just leaves a bad taste ...
HDTVChallenged is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
All I'm saying is that if my name were Phil Mickelson, you'd still be peeling me off of the club house ceiling ... Professionals or not, the whole episode surely adversely affected the second-to-last group's play ... for what ... mostly just to bring the event in "on time." Phil and Ricky didn't deserve the bum's rush ... it just leaves a bad taste ...
Phil is well-known as one of the biggest whiners out there. He complains about everything. But the PGA made the decision to go back out after the rain delay knowing they'd be pushing it. And Rory and his partner had to wait on Phil & Ricky on every tee box, all day long. Phil had no reason to complain, certainly about having to wait just a couple of minutes, if that, for the last group to play their approach shots. It wasn't like they had to let them "play through".

Calling a round because of darkness is actually the players' call. Rory knew, as did the officials, that bringing everybody back the next day to play half a hole would present a big logistical challenge and be terribly inconvenient for everyone involved in the tournament, from officials to workers to volunteers to fans to the broadcast partners. It was in everybody's interest to finish the round if at all possible. There's no question they did the right thing and played that last hole the right way. And Phil even birdied the dang thing anyway!
archiguy is online now  
Old 08-12-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,266
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
My guess is it had more affect on the final group than Phil's group. Phil mentioned (or someone) that he wanted to put pressure on Rory by closing out strong. Although to some degree Rory didn't know how to play (until the hole was almost over) because Phil hadn't finished yet. I think knowing what you need to shoot is a great help versus not knowing what it will take to win. Rory's tee and approach shots couldn't have been based on Phil's final score... he had too many variables to consider where if he knew what Phil shot he could play accordingly.

Based on an earlier comment didn't they attempt to show how dark it actually was? I believe they showed one image which was much darker stating it reflected the "actual" darkness.

I enjoyed the tourney and appreciated the fact so many golfers rose to the occasion. Typically, it's a two man race and one falters. This tourney at least three of them would have been true champions if they had won.
Charles R is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've played golf all my life (1960's) and I've watched every major tournament since junior high. And what they did here at the end hurt the game. The game is bigger than corporate America and golf lost this one to the big corporations. It was a decision made in the name of money. They should have sounded the horn before Rory was allowed to tee off on the 18th hole. I'm not a fan of Phil but he was handled it with class.
TeeJay1952 likes this.

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,266
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
And what they did here at the end hurt the game. The game is bigger than corporate America and golf lost this one to the big corporations. It was a decision made in the name of money.
I guess I simply don't see it this way. For me the drama keep building, building and when they let the final group hit it only increased the drama. If they had stopped play and came back Monday it wouldn't have been nearly as dramatic. More traditional no doubt. When Rory was asked if he thought about stopping play he said heck no... I wanted to win this thing and get the out of here.

For fans I think it was the best option. Corporations? I tend not to see them as "big" rather a bunch of little people and as such not so evil.
Charles R is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Let's not forget that Rory had a 2 shot lead going into the final hole. It would have taken a miracle for anybody to tie him, and no miracles were going to happen in that twilight. All Rory had to do was play it safe, get his par - even if either of the two guys ahead of him birdied - and that's what he did.

And it's not just "corporations" that would have been inconvenienced if they had come back to play one more hole, or half a hole, the next day. What about all those "little people", the volunteers, many of whom had to be back at their jobs the next day? The parking lot attendants, the concession workers, the greensmen, the list goes on and on. All of them would have been forced to come back early Monday morning just to watch two guys, one of whom was long out of the tournament, play one hole, and all the winner needed was a par, which he could make with his eyes closed. And he nearly did just that in the growing darkness.

Nope, they made the right call. And it was, in fact, Rory's call to make.
Distorted likes this.
archiguy is online now  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
I've played golf all my life (1960's) and I've watched every major tournament since junior high. And what they did here at the end hurt the game. The game is bigger than corporate America and golf lost this one to the big corporations. It was a decision made in the name of money. They should have sounded the horn before Rory was allowed to tee off on the 18th hole. I'm not a fan of Phil but he was handled it with class.
I agree ....In fact since the TV announcers were talking about "rumbling" and with lightning visible nearby, the actual correct move would have been to clear the course and reboot in the morning. To me, it's clear that the players were pressured into continuing by the "monied" interests.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Nope, they made the right call. And it was, in fact, Rory's call to make.
Actually it was (or should have been) Phil and Rickey's call to allow the "play up." The pressure applied by PGA/CBS was abundantly clear.

Edit: To put it another way, the ending felt more like something you'd expect from the WWE(WWF) than golf.

Last edited by HDTVChallenged; 08-12-2014 at 11:16 PM.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Distorted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx Area
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The PGA is a show more than a game, and a show needs an ending in front of the audience.

.........

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Distorted is offline  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Calling a round because of darkness is actually the players' call. Rory knew, as did the officials, that bringing everybody back the next day to play half a hole would present a big logistical challenge and be terribly inconvenient for everyone involved in the tournament, from officials to workers to volunteers to fans to the broadcast partners.
Prior to tee off, it's the PGAs call to stop play because of darkness. Once hit, then the player has the option.

Something tells me that logistics was the last thing on Rory's mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
When Rory was asked if he thought about stopping play he said heck no...I wanted to win this thing and get the out of here.

For fans I think it was the best option. Corporations? I tend not to see them as "big" rather a bunch of little people and as such not so evil.
Fowler said the original plan on the 18th hole was to let McIlroy tee off in case officials blew the horn to stop play because of darkness, then it would be up to the players whether to call the game or not. And Rory clearly stated he wanted to finish. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any of the players getting cell phone calls from CBS (speaking for all corporations involved) or officials asking them keep playing because it was in the interest of money. The biggest controversy happened when the last group hit their approach shots on 18. Maybe Rory took the generosity they were given and assumed they should play up. I chalk that up to a communication issue. Still, Phil birdied so it didn't hurt him.
Aliens is offline  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Something tells me that logistics was the last thing on Rory's mind.
He seems like a nice, considerate young man, always thinking of others. And the stupidity of having to come back to play half-a-hole the next day in order to get his trophy.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens
Fowler said the original plan on the 18th hole was to let McIlroy tee off in case officials blew the horn to stop play because of darkness, then it would be up to the players whether to call the game or not. And Rory clearly stated he wanted to finish. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any of the players getting cell phone calls from CBS (speaking for all corporations involved) or officials asking them keep playing because it was in the interest of money. The biggest controversy happened when the last group hit their approach shots on 18. Maybe Rory took the generosity they were given and assumed they should play up. I chalk that up to a communication issue. Still, Phil birdied so it didn't hurt him.
The announcers said that the officials actually made that call (for Rory and his partner to play up), so somebody, probably the PGA dude walking with his group, must have told him to go ahead and hit it. Rory wouldn't have done it had Phil & Fowler not been prepared for it.
archiguy is online now  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,266
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The announcers said that the officials actually made that call (for Rory and his partner to play up), so somebody, probably the PGA dude walking with his group, must have told him to go ahead and hit it.
I believe I heard/saw the official informing Rory that he would be hitting. At the time I don't think they cut to Phil's group and you only saw them from a distance which leads you to think they were left out of the loop to some degree. Since you didn't see them being informed. Obviously they were.
Charles R is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off