• 1 Post By slowbiscuit

post #1 of 29 Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 93
NFL and/or DirecTV go backwards with Sunday Ticket for 2014

Well, they've screwed a lot of us this year. I want to give them money, but they won't let me.

My story:

I was a DirecTV subscriber for 11 years, and paid for NFL Sunday Ticket each of those 11 years.

Starting in 2011, my reception started getting spotty. There was a large tree, owned by the city, across the street, and it was starting to block my line of site. By 2012, reception was pretty much gone. So, I had to drop DirecTV. It's no longer available at my address due to lack of line of site.

It was at that time, in 2012, that I learned of NFL Sunday Ticket through the PS3, which was available for non-DirecTV subscribers. Yeah! I signed up, paid my money, and enjoyed my out of market team for another year (albeit without the benefits of a DVR).

Then, in 2013, they made it even better: it was expanded from just the PS3 to any mobile device (iPad, iPhone, laptop). Even better! So, once again, without a DirecTV subscription, I forked over my money and enjoyed another year of football.

This year, however, it's all changed. The non-subscriber subscriptions are limited to a VERY narrow selection of people. From the website (nflsundayticket.tv):

Quote:
Now you can stream live, out-of-market NFL games on your favorite device without a DIRECTV satellite TV subscription if you live in a select apartment building, attend one of these universities, or live in the following metro areas: New York City, Philadelphia, or San Francisco.

List of Universities:

University of Washington
University of Texas at Austin
University of Southern California
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
University of Florida
University of Colorado at Boulder
University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa
Syracuse University
Ohio State University
Harvard University
Well, I don't live in NYC, Philly, or SF, I don't attend a University (already graduated...), and don't live in a "select" apartment building (or any apartment building, for that matter).

I've been on the phone with three different departments, and got my answer straight from the source: "Sorry, but NFL Sunday Ticket is no longer available to non-subscribers, except in certain circumstances listed on the website."

Such BS. I want to give them money. They don't want it.

Screw 'em. It'll be liberating, I suppose, to leave the NFL behind for good. It'll certainly free up a lot of Sundays.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I had a pall some years ago that had a tree blocking a sign in a shopping center, so he started poring bleach on the ground at the base of the tree.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-12-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
Well, they've screwed a lot of us this year. I want to give them money, but they won't let me.

My story:

I was a DirecTV subscriber for 11 years, and paid for NFL Sunday Ticket each of those 11 years.

Starting in 2011, my reception started getting spotty. There was a large tree, owned by the city, across the street, and it was starting to block my line of site. By 2012, reception was pretty much gone. So, I had to drop DirecTV. It's no longer available at my address due to lack of line of site.

It was at that time, in 2012, that I learned of NFL Sunday Ticket through the PS3, which was available for non-DirecTV subscribers. Yeah! I signed up, paid my money, and enjoyed my out of market team for another year (albeit without the benefits of a DVR).

Then, in 2013, they made it even better: it was expanded from just the PS3 to any mobile device (iPad, iPhone, laptop). Even better! So, once again, without a DirecTV subscription, I forked over my money and enjoyed another year of football.

This year, however, it's all changed. The non-subscriber subscriptions are limited to a VERY narrow selection of people. From the website (nflsundayticket.tv):

Well, I don't live in NYC, Philly, or SF, I don't attend a University (already graduated...), and don't live in a "select" apartment building (or any apartment building, for that matter).

I've been on the phone with three different departments, and got my answer straight from the source: "Sorry, but NFL Sunday Ticket is no longer available to non-subscribers, except in certain circumstances listed on the website."

Screw 'em. It'll be liberating, I suppose, to leave the NFL behind for good. It'll certainly free up a lot of Sundays.
At least cable have Red Zone that's what I watch mostly.
post #4 of 29 Old 08-12-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

My story:

HARVARD. Really?

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #5 of 29 Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a typical boilerplate response from DirecTV. Still haven't heard back from the NFL:

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in nflsundayticket.tv. We appreciate you contacting us with your concern.

In order to be eligible for the service for the 2014 season, interested parties need to go through an eligibility check and analysis against our database to verify they meet the qualifications.

This year, nflsundayticket.tv is only offered to customers who live in select apartment buildings, to students attending one of the 10 partnered universities and to customers who live in the following metro areas: New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco.

Unfortunately at this time, nflsundayticket.tv is not available where you live. We will keep your information on file for research purposes as we evaluate the expansion of nflsundayticket.tv in future NFL seasons.

Thank you,

DIRECTV Office of the President

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #6 of 29 Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Watch it while you can, because the steroidazoids are getting so big & fast causing so many head and body injuries, the class-action attorneys and sob-sisters with helmeted kids on big wheels are zeroing in on the coup de gras blaming the owners for not keeping it human. Shouldn't take too long now.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #7 of 29 Old 08-13-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You can get an online version of Sunday ticket straight from the NFL for $40. The catch is that none of the games are live, they are all on demand. The good news is that they include national and ESPN games which the TV Sunday ticket does not. The no live games may bother some people, but football has so many stoppages and commercial interruptions that I never watch a game live anyway so this package is perfect for me.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
You can get an online version of Sunday ticket straight from the NFL for $40. The catch is that none of the games are live, they are all on demand. The good news is that they include national and ESPN games which the TV Sunday ticket does not. The no live games may bother some people, but football has so many stoppages and commercial interruptions that I never watch a game live anyway so this package is perfect for me.
I've had Game Rewind in the past. The problem is, if I'm going to be watching the local games, or better yet the Red Zone Channel on NFL Network, I won't be able to avoid knowing the score of the game I want to watch...So, spoilers. I'd basically have to avoid all football until I can watch my game. That's lame.

I'm definitely thinking of just punting on the NFL altogether. This leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. They literally won't allow me to watch my team live, so screw them.

post #9 of 29 Old 08-31-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I actually have a nephew that attends Syracuse. I wonder if I can get ST if I ask him to call Direct TV.
Anyone know what kind of proof they ask for?
post #10 of 29 Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
what time do they become available to watch?
post #11 of 29 Old 08-31-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I've had Game Rewind in the past. The problem is, if I'm going to be watching the local games, or better yet the Red Zone Channel on NFL Network, I won't be able to avoid knowing the score of the game I want to watch...So, spoilers. I'd basically have to avoid all football until I can watch my game. That's lame.

I'm definitely thinking of just punting on the NFL altogether. This leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. They literally won't allow me to watch my team live, so screw them.

Odd, from the OP it seemed like it was your choice of residence that screwed you.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #12 of 29 Old 08-31-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post
what time do they become available to watch?

Right after the Sunday night game ends. Unless you work all day Sundays and can't watch any games, this package is basically worthless.
post #13 of 29 Old 09-02-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Hint to OP: Use a VPN or proxy to get NFL Gamepass for $110 this year (with promo code REP15). Use a server in Romania to see that price. You go through the VPN/proxy every time you connect to gamepass.nfl.com then disconnect from it after the Gamepass window loads.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Patriots/com...us_or_outside/

There's nothing illegal about this from what I can see, they just don't want US residents to be able to stream live games with Gamepass.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 09-02-2014 at 08:48 AM.
post #14 of 29 Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Hint to OP: Use a VPN or proxy to get NFL Gamepass for $110 this year (with promo code REP15). Use a server in Romania to see that price. You go through the VPN/proxy every time you connect to gamepass.nfl.com then disconnect from it after the Gamepass window loads.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Patriots/com...us_or_outside/

There's nothing illegal about this from what I can see, they just don't want US residents to be able to stream live games with Gamepass.
Interesting. What is the PQ like using this?
post #15 of 29 Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Interesting. What is the PQ like using this?
First, you'll need a commercial VPN service in order to do this. The chances of finding a free one with enough bandwidth to stream in HD, approaches 0. Last year I had the service from buying Madden. I found the PQ to be pretty poor. The biggest problem was it was a bit choppy; I think its cut down to 30 frames/sec. But, it was better than nothing. My team wasn't on TV here once last year, and I used it to catch the endings of a few games I would otherwise have missed.
post #16 of 29 Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't use the VPN to stream from Gamepass, reread what I sad (and the linked reddit). You only use it to be able to login and start the view window, then disconnect and use your local connection.

I used it last year, the quality is full HD (up to 720p at 4.5mbps IIRC). It was free then from certain countries (NZ, NL, then Argentina) but I don't think it's free anywhere now. All games, all teams, no blackouts.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 09-02-2014 at 10:09 AM.
post #17 of 29 Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
You don't use the VPN to stream from Gamepass, reread what I sad (and the linked reddit). You only use it to be able to login and start the view window, then disconnect and use your local connection.

I used it last year, the quality is full HD (up to 720p at 4.5mbps IIRC). It was free then from certain countries (NZ, NL, then Argentina) but I don't think it's free anywhere now. All games, all teams, no blackouts.
Hmm, OK. I'm surprised that works. Doesn't for the BBC's Iplayer for example. Oh, and upon review, what I had was actually from DirecTV's website. So my comments on PQ are pretty meaningless.
post #18 of 29 Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

I think those countries still get NFL Game Pass for free, it's just that the NFL has blacklisted the IP addresses for those countries using a VPN or DNS service from outside those countries.

And the FOUL!
post #19 of 29 Old 09-04-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

No one gets it for free that I've seen, even if you go through other proxies. There's a ton of open proxies for Argentina frex (which worked all last year), and now a random sample all come up with a subscription page for me.
post #20 of 29 Old 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The no live games may bother some people, but football has so many stoppages and commercial interruptions that I never watch a game live anyway so this package is perfect for me.[IMG]http://*******/ndijjj[/IMG]thank you
post #21 of 29 Old 09-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Liked: 10
What is the link for the actual directv nfl sunday ticket page where you can watch on your laptop computer. I don't need a mobile app and the links to download apps is easily found on the NFL sunday ticket website. But I can't find a page where I can just login and look at their NFL Sunday Ticket application online like we did last year.

All I find is this : http://www.directv.com/technology/mo..._sunday_ticket
post #22 of 29 Old 09-06-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post
What is the link for the actual directv nfl sunday ticket page where you can watch on your laptop computer. I don't need a mobile app and the links to download apps is easily found on the NFL sunday ticket website. But I can't find a page where I can just login and look at their NFL Sunday Ticket application online like we did last year.

All I find is this : http://www.directv.com/technology/mo..._sunday_ticket

I think you have to log into Directv's site and then find it from there.
post #23 of 29 Old 09-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Liked: 10
nevermind, DirectTV website opened up the link on the homepage.
post #24 of 29 Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Anyone have any luck with D* getting just the Red Zone channel for free?
post #25 of 29 Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post
Anyone have any luck with D* getting just the Red Zone channel for free?

No, but if you call, you might get ST at a discounted price.
post #26 of 29 Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 AM

Liked: 13
Traveling

If one is a subscriber to Sunday Ticket Online through their PS3 and they travel to Canada for a week and login from there, will they still be subject to local game blackouts (ie, the game is on local tv either in Canada or at the account's home address - not that the game wasn't sold out)?
post #27 of 29 Old 09-15-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
If one is a subscriber to Sunday Ticket Online through their PS3 and they travel to Canada for a week and login from there, will they still be subject to local game blackouts (ie, the game is on local tv either in Canada or at the account's home address - not that the game wasn't sold out)?
No you won't be able to use DirecTV nflsundayticket.tv's service up there since DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is only has rights within the United States.

And the FOUL!

Last edited by Tom Wellman; 09-16-2014 at 05:09 AM.
post #28 of 29 Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Without use of a router that can do VPN, natch.

But it's a lot easier and cheaper to get GamePass with a VPN anyway.
Tom Wellman likes this.
post #29 of 29 Old 09-18-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE:

Got an email from DirecTV this morning, saying they've reconsidered...and gave me a toll free number to call. The emails are being sent to previous subscribers who are locked out of the new highly-restrictive eligibility requirements. They sent me a short term (24 hour) one-time-use email token so that I could bypass the normal eligibility checks and order Sunday Ticket.

Too bad they waited until week 3...but at least my team was a nationally televised game in weeks 1 and 2.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page