Focusing HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Focusing HDTV

Just got a new 55” HDTV, LG and the picture seems slightly fuzzy. There are 5 Sharp, etc. focus selections on the TV and 5 similar focus adjustments with the FiOS. I have messed around with these settings and so far cannot get the HDTV crystal clear focused, it still looks fuzzy. We do have HD channels and on them same difference. Do you need full HD TV from FiOS or can this TV be fine tuned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Guess nobody knows how to do this.

For anyone interested I might see what the FiOS people have to say. The bill is already rather exorbitant and they'll claim I need something for another $30 a month that will end up being $45 a month next year even though they say "price guaranteed for two years".
post #3 of 10 Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Solution was simple and should have been obvious. Problem solved by hooking up an HDMI cable. Yep, that port had been taped over on the FiOS set top box and up until the purchase of a HD TV there was no need for it. Got a high quality one at an “optimal” buy store and the resulting picture quality is crystal clear, sharp as can be. 1963 Outer Limits Control is proud.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-09-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zocor View Post
Solution was simple and should have been obvious. Problem solved by hooking up an HDMI cable. Yep, that port had been taped over on the FiOS set top box and up until the purchase of a HD TV there was no need for it. Got a high quality one at an “optimal” buy store and the resulting picture quality is crystal clear, sharp as can be. 1963 Outer Limits Control is proud.

In this day and age, Verizon is STILL connecting up with component video cables, and is not officially supporting HDMI?!?

Sad to see this coming from the company that signs my pension check. It wouldn't have happened under Ivan Seidenberg, IMO.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-09-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Component should be just as sharp as HDMI. Maybe the OP was using composite or coax. Is that right, Zocor (red/white/yellow, not red/green/blue/red/white)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Component should be just as sharp as HDMI. Maybe the OP was using composite or coax. Is that right, Zocor (red/white/yellow, not red/green/blue/red/white)?
I agree it should be. Why wasn't it? More to the point, why did the tech use component (or composite) to connect before they left the customer's premises? Moreover, why was the HDMI port taped shut?

That implies Verizon isn't officially supporting HDMI in a FiOS installation. Red flag just dropped for me.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Even though component can carry HD, it doesn't mean that all implementations do. Not getting HD could be a configuration setting, or an implementation decision in that STB.

What's important is that zocor is getting HD now.

(Though I could mention that implementation details or configuration options could still limit the resolution of the image sent to the TV.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-10-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
What's important is that zocor is getting HD now.
Yes. Zocor is now free to Lipitor wid da bammies. Or sine his pitty on the runny kine.

Last edited by Ronzo3; 09-10-2014 at 02:55 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-10-2014, 02:55 PM

post #10 of 10 Old 09-11-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I had FIOS installed over 5 years ago and the tech used an HDMI cable. Of course, this was after I had to tell him to do so since he was ready to use the component cables.

As always, let the buyer beware.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page