NFL Preseason Football on FOX - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JWhip
  • 1 Post By I WANT MORE

Old 08-17-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 197
NFL Preseason Football on FOX

Just tuned to Car/KC on local FOX station KMSP via OTA in Minneapolis and it is brutal PQ. Is it the feed or my local station? Curious as to what others are seeing. By far the worst quality PQ of any game I have seen so far this year.

Last edited by primetimeguy; 08-17-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The new NFL on FOX scoreboard is attached. So far I've been hearing "It's ugly, but it's small." Can't say I don't agree.

Most of the graphics appear to be from the new FOX Sports graphics package, but the full screen graphics (like the one in the other attachment) and the replay transition appear to be carried over from the previous graphics package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2014-08-17-19h11m10s195.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	216865   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2014-08-17-19h15m18s110.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	216873  

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Location & TV affiliate: San Diego DMA/KSWB
Pay TV provider: DirecTV

Watching this game, it looks ok. Honestly I've seen much worse from Fox, but it's looking ok from my end. I will say this much, I love the new graphics especially the rectangular scorebox which looks much better since it's made for HDTV and it's minimalistic.

http:// https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z...7-17-35-43.png

And the FOUL!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Just tuned to Car/KC on local FOX station KMSP via OTA in Minneapolis and it is brutal PQ. Is it the feed or my local station? Curious as to what others are seeing. By far the worst quality PQ of any game I have seen so far this year.
I agree. OTA FOX in Sioux Falls is bad too. Closeups are good, but actual game play camera is blurry. Looks out of focus, or it's a non HD camera. Although the second half looked better than the first half.

Last edited by wxman; 08-17-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Watching KSAZ Phoenix via Cox Cable.

Looks like a typical FOX telecast, wide shots overcompressed while the field level shots look very good.

As for the new FOX BOX, it's okay but would prefer more of a bar than the box.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I like the small box that Prime posted, thanx. My question is did they use and will they use the raised blue bottom of the screen ticker??? IMO, all the networks should get rid of the bottom screen ticker. ESPN, and NFL Ch run a black bar at the bottom and the ticker over it, eating up more of the screen. If you gotta have a ticker looks to me like MLB does it best at the bottom of the screen. I'm anti-clutter on the screen..
Old 08-18-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
I like the small box that Prime posted, thanx. My question is did they use and will they use the raised blue bottom of the screen ticker??? IMO, all the networks should get rid of the bottom screen ticker. ESPN, and NFL Ch run a black bar at the bottom and the ticker over it, eating up more of the screen. If you gotta have a ticker looks to me like MLB does it best at the bottom of the screen. I'm anti-clutter on the screen..
Agree! In the age of instant scores on any device, the on screen stuff is outdated. Let's get a full screen of the action on our TVs.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big East Cards View Post
Agree! In the age of instant scores on any device, the on screen stuff is outdated. Let's get a full screen of the action on our TVs.
It should be just how the Premiere League mandates their games being presented. No tickers at all. Much easier on the eyes. I would like the new Fox Box to be even farther to the left of the screen.
Big East Cards likes this.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
It should be just how the Premiere League mandates their games being presented. No tickers at all. Much easier on the eyes. I would like the new Fox Box to be even farther to the left of the screen.
Agree
Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey primetimeguy, just watched the game, and it looks grainy to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Old 08-20-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
NFLN is the worst, HUGE amount of completely wasted space at the bottom of the screen. Good thing we can dump them for CBS this year, at least on half of the Thursday night games. And they're producing the rest, so maybe that crap will end.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
NFLN is the worst, HUGE amount of completely wasted space at the bottom of the screen. Good thing we can dump them for CBS this year, at least on half of the Thursday night games. And they're producing the rest, so maybe that crap will end.
Fox has the worse HD broadcast in my opinion of all the major networks when it comes to football. Fox has always had bad graphics and blury HD shots from a distance. Here is my list of favorite HD channels for football.

1 NBC
2 CBS, NFL Network
3 ESPN
4 FOX
Old 08-20-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Agree with your assessment above other than NFL network has been awful this season too, especially the audio. But the PQ issue may be on Dish's side also.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

NFL Ch Audio is horrible. They seem to run it through some kind of Bass boost. On Total Access they seem to run a back-ground beat that plays hell with my system, and I did turn the Sub down. [The Hosts are horrible on that show also]. The Live Hall of Fame Induction Audio was terrible, thunk, thunk, every time the speaker spoke. It was fine on Espn. The Nfl Ch is pretty un-watchable to me, and I want to like and watch it.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Don't forget a thin piece of opaque material and scotch tape on each end eliminates the annoying ticker at the bottom. Good for both news channels and certain sports channels.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
Fox has always had bad graphics and blury HD shots from a distance.

Does anyone really know why this really is? Could it be lower resolution video cameras? Any other equipment downsizing a higher resolution image? More compression on further shots for what ever reason?

The big argument some years back was 720p takes up less bandwidth than 1080i and produces smoother motion. Therefore 720p was suppose to be superior for sports. The reality is, it sucks.

I've found my local CBS station to be much more clear with their 1080i signal even with the compression they use. And, my NBC local station is less than optimal (when compared to CBS) though still better looking when compared to FOX's video quality.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 90
OT but have you watched the abortions of a broadcast on the NFL Network the past two Thursdays?
tampabuc likes this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

I concur I want more. Let's discuss the failure that was last night's Steelers / Eagles game.

Why does Ari Wolfe have a job as a play by play man?? The guy can't speak the English language. How does a marble mouthed lisping no talent get the NFL Ch. gig??? The single worst broadcast I have ever heard. He even mangled Melissa Stark's name when he threw it to her at half-time. BTW Ari, Big Ben has 2 years left on his contract, not 1. The guy had his hands clinched so tight I thought he would burst. When was the last time they seemed to spend so much time with the camera on the Booth??? Isn't the game on the field??? It appeared to me that they weren't even at the stadium but we're calling the game remotely by monitor. If true, a new low..
Kurt was a good QB and is a nice guy. Get him back in the Studio where he does a good job on the buffoon laden Weekly Nfl Ch Pregame Sunday morning show.
The New GFL, [Goddell Football League], where the Head of Officiating, Dean Blandino, was never an NFL Referee, and he is now reviewing the Referee's calls...
4 Hour games coming up, being presented by Goofs like Dan and Amber on NFL Total Access.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 90
This Chargers~49ers game looks absolutely pristine today. KVRR Fargo, ND via *D.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location and TV Affiliate: San Diego/KSWB
Pay TV provider: DirecTV

I'd agree with your statement, I WANT MORE, that the SD/SF game looked much better than last weeks KC/CAR game especially from the main camera. It looked much more crisp. I also noticed that the scorebox is smaller today than last week's game. I also like the fact that the "FOX/NFL" bug is rectangular. All the need to do is push the scorebox and bug tad more out, and I'd say it we're in business, IMHO. For comparison I'll post side by side a screenshot from last week's KC/CAR game to today's SD/SF game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 5.37.26 PM.png
Views:	51
Size:	611.8 KB
ID:	227825  

And the FOUL!

Last edited by Tom Wellman; 08-24-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I noticed both Fox and NBC today on the national broadcasts did away with the annoying bottom line tickers and all the twitter hastags and crap. I liked the cleaner look on fox with just small time/scoring box in the upper left corner. NBC was nice too with just the timing/scoring at the bottom of the screen, but they still had a greyed out box where the ticker would go, so I hope that doesn't foreshadow it's return. I really hope they keep all that junk off the screen now, I enjoyed the game so much more without all the interrupting clutter.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Amen brothers... No ticker running at the bottom of the screen was a refreshing change, and a good one. A couple of things I noticed:

CBS: Great picture and sound for Saturday nights game. Could clearly hear the QB and the defensive signals being called out. No tickers, uncluttered screen. New # 2 Team, Well done

NBC: Good picture and sound. Sound was not quite as good as what I heard from CBS on Sat. PLEASE dump the "grayed" out bottom of the screen. Better yet move the score bug to the top of the screen, off the field, without the grayed out area of course.

Fire Dean Blandino...
Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Call me skeptical but I wouldn't get too used to Fox removing the ticker once the regular season starts.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post
Call me skeptical but I wouldn't get too used to Fox removing the ticker once the regular season starts.
I agree. FOX will bring back the ticker when they have simultaneous games going on. NBC has never had a ticker during live sports events (besides pre/half/post shows).

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement