The Intruders on BBCA - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The Intruders on BBCA

Starts on Aug 23rd.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/intruders/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 08-18-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Even with the premise of a person having two souls which might probably lead to some Jekyll and Hyde possessed character shifts, I'm ready to write off this show just for the cringeworthy hokey awfulness of the line "in the beginning, there was death.” shown in the trailers.

post #3 of 48 Old 08-19-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Based on the trailer- I'll skip it- but if it turns out to be another Penny Dreadful, I reserve the right to come back later...

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #4 of 48 Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes, the fleeting ads on other channels, magnified at the BBCA site, seems like they're straining for weirdness. Here's a review in today's NY Times. -- John
post #5 of 48 Old 08-23-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I'm catching the initial episode, but only because it's in the midst of Doctor Who season premiere weekend.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #6 of 48 Old 08-23-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Oh lord, I don't know about this series. I'll try it a few more weeks, I was lost pretty much from the start, not sure if I've figured out much yet though.
post #7 of 48 Old 08-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Looks like the intruder get 9 years of possession and if they don't leave, they are killed.
post #8 of 48 Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 801
After seeing parts of this last night I thought it sounded like Being John Malkovich. Scanning the internet it appears I wasn't the only person to think the same.

post #9 of 48 Old 08-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I liked it. Looks to have introduced different story arcs along with the larger plot. I was a bit disappointed with the death of one of the characters much too early in the series IMO. The acting is decent so far and I'll give it some time to develop
post #10 of 48 Old 08-24-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly, I tuned in because I like Mira Sorvino, I'm hoping she gets a lot more screen time. The little girl is intriguing. I'm guessing it will become a bit more evident what is actually going on as the show progresses. Hard to believe I may have three shows I'll be watching on a Saturday night. Dr. Who, Hell on Wheels and The Intruders.

Last edited by rebkell; 08-24-2014 at 09:08 PM.
post #11 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 724
I have no idea at all what happened in the first episode. Nothing about it made sense on any level. It was totally incoherent, and I would say unwatchable.

Such as shame, as I like a lot of the talent involved here. Not sure what went wrong.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #12 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I have no idea at all what happened in the first episode. Nothing about it made sense on any level. It was totally incoherent, and I would say unwatchable.

Such as shame, as I like a lot of the talent involved here. Not sure what went wrong.
I agree! I thought the X-Files guys would come up with something interesting, but not this time.

If it wasn't for Mira I would have turned it off sooner. She's still got it, though. The show, meh.

Note to producers of new shows: You really have to provide info and real character development instead of vague references to grab today's ADD viewers.
post #13 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
Note to producers of new shows: You really have to provide info and real character development instead of vague references to grab today's ADD viewers.
It's not an ADD issue. It's a basic storytelling coherence issue. At the very least, the pilot episode of a new series needs to explain what the basic premise of the story is. This one doesn't accomplish that at all. If I hadn't read a synopsis in my cable guide, I'd have no idea why the characters were acting so weird or why James Frain was running around shooting them. (Honestly, I'm still not sure why he's shooting them.)

Josh Z

post #14 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Agreed. Maybe he's looking for Jack Bauer.
post #15 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not an ADD issue. It's a basic storytelling coherence issue. At the very least, the pilot episode of a new series needs to explain what the basic premise of the story is. This one doesn't accomplish that at all. If I hadn't read a synopsis in my cable guide, I'd have no idea why the characters were acting so weird or why James Frain was running around shooting them. (Honestly, I'm still not sure why he's shooting them.)
Yep, is he a good guy or a bad guy? I just don't know.
post #16 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The idea that these people are being possessed by other souls isn't clear at all in the episode. All we're shown is that their eyes dilate funny and then they act weird. How are we supposed to get invested in wanting to find out more about the storyline when the damn show won't even tell us what the storyline is?

I hated this. It was just awful.
Mark12547 likes this.

Josh Z

post #17 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Look guys. Its a first episode. It didn't have almost any exposition in it and had a creepy feel to it.
That's not saying its going to be good. I'm willing to let things unfold. It certainly wasn't boring and the "bad 'guy'" was sufficiently sinister.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #18 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Look guys. Its a first episode. It didn't have almost any exposition in it and had a creepy feel to it.
That's not saying its going to be good. I'm willing to let things unfold. It certainly wasn't boring and the "bad 'guy'" was sufficiently sinister.
I said in my first post, I'll give it a few weeks, I agree with most everything you said, with the exception of not boring, depends on the definition, but if I'm not really following what is going on, my tendency is toward boredom or apathy, boredom and apathy are rather similar in my mind. Still not sure who the 'bad guy' is, the little girl looks like she may be shaping up as one of if not the main character, after saying that, she'll probably die next week or something.
post #19 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
I was pretty perplexed too. The reviews I read indicated a willingness to dole out the clues and tie everything together as the weeks go on. But I, too, like a pilot episode to introduce the characters and set the stage in a way you can see the series unfolding. It shouldn't be so... murky.

It was still better than 'The Leftovers', and made more sense.
post #20 of 48 Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
The idea that these people are being possessed by other souls isn't clear at all in the episode. All we're shown is that their eyes dilate funny and then they act weird. How are we supposed to get invested in wanting to find out more about the storyline when the damn show won't even tell us what the storyline is?

I hated this. It was just awful.
I already have too many titles waiting in my Netflix queues that are waiting for my attention; if a pilot episode cannot identify the basic premise of the show or at least show me that it has promise, I'm moving on to other content.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #21 of 48 Old 08-26-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd be willing to cut the show some slack about the plot being confusing if it at least gave me compelling characters who I wanted to know more about and find out what happens to them. This didn't have that.

Ideally, a great show will have both compelling characters and a compelling story. Failing that, I'll take one or the other, so long as the one it chooses is well done enough to compensate for the lack of the other. Sadly, this show has neither.

Josh Z

post #22 of 48 Old 08-30-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 158
2nd episode was excellent.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/intruders/...n-1/episode-2/
I'd give it a 2nd look.
IMHO one of the few entertaining and worthwhile shows on now.
baja7475 likes this.
post #23 of 48 Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm still interested enough to keep watching. I read Michael Marshall Smith's novel several years ago but don't remember it much (not one of his better ones).
post #24 of 48 Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 632
I'm going to have to starting going around saying "what goes around, comes around" just to freak people out....

"Awe crap....I knew there was something fishy about that guy ----- he's an intruder!!!"
post #25 of 48 Old 09-06-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm still hanging in there, it's getting more interesting each week, finally Mira gets some screen time. The kid's story seems kinda different than her/his personality though. I'm still not sure if the terminator is a good or bad guy, he's certainly not above taking a bribe though. I guess I'm gonna stick it out.
post #26 of 48 Old 09-07-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still sticking with it but it is getting annoying with all of the characters struggling with the changes. Maybe that's what would happen in real life but it doesn't necessary make good television. The show wants to let this play out slowly before the reveal and I'm not sure the reveal is worth it. Initially, I thought this was about alien invasion and now I think its about a small group that's been around a while and who are just as messed up as everyone else. Not sure that's going to make for a good show.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #27 of 48 Old 09-08-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 158
The Intruders on BBCA

Well the 3rd episode was a disaster. What a great cast and potentially a great story.
It's so hard to make great shows and movies. I thought this one had a chance.
post #28 of 48 Old 09-15-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
I'm still sticking with it but it is getting annoying with all of the characters struggling with the changes. Maybe that's what would happen in real life but it doesn't necessary make good television. The show wants to let this play out slowly before the reveal and I'm not sure the reveal is worth it. Initially, I thought this was about alien invasion and now I think its about a small group that's been around a while and who are just as messed up as everyone else. Not sure that's going to make for a good show.

Alien Invasion? I thought it was pretty clear that the show was about people who jump bodies and live "forever".

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #29 of 48 Old 09-16-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Alien Invasion? I thought it was pretty clear that the show was about people who jump bodies and live "forever".

I didn't know anything about the show when I started watching it other than seeing commercials for it flash by as I was ff'ing through them. The title "The Intruders" is in the tradition of alien invasion shows like "The Invaders" so I just assumed.

post #30 of 48 Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
I didn't know anything about the show when I started watching it other than seeing commercials for it flash by as I was ff'ing through them. The title "The Intruders" is in the tradition of alien invasion shows like "The Invaders" so I just assumed.

Oh ok, I didn't know much about the show but thought it was "explained" fairly well (at least alluded to) during the episodes. It reminds me a lot of that old horror movie shocker and Fallen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page