post #31 of 110 Old 12-06-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldardy View Post
I binged watched it and I was fine. You can binge watch the Wire.
I think binge watching is a good way to watch The Wire. You get the characters more (many) and the plot lines are more discernible.
jamieva and mldardy like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 Old 12-08-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Finally confirmed coming to HBO, HD digital and Blu-ray. David Simon has the full story on how it was shot, what was going on with the aspect ratio and what they did to compose it for 16:9.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-in-hd/

Press release:

HBO(R) Unveils New High-Definition Re-Mastering of Award-Winning Hit Series "The Wire(R)"

Thanks for posting this, as like you, I distinctly remember Simon's comments on why the show was in a 4x3 format so when I first heard about it I wondered what they were doing. I'm very happy to see Simon was involved in the re-mastering, I'm not sure I would have even bothered with it had he not been.

It seems like this would be worth waiting for the Blu-ray release, on the other hand, HBO disc releases are usually very expensive, I could easily see a $100+ price tag on it.

Just checked Amazon and the 2008 DVD release is still listing at $85 with a MSRP of $200 so figure at least $200(MSRP) for the new HD version.

Last edited by Keenan; 12-09-2014 at 03:57 PM.
post #33 of 110 Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Thanks for posting this, as like you, I distinctly remember Simon's comments on why the show was in a 4x3 format so when I first heard about it I wondered what they were doing. I'm very happy to see Simon was involved in the re-mastering, I'm not sure I would have even bothered with it had he not been.
Now he's updated his journal with video examples I can see what he means about losing something in the conversion. Although to be honest I completely missed the "chicken" reference when I watched it.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

Note: Contains a spoilery vid for those new to the show.

post #34 of 110 Old 12-09-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Now he's updated his journal with video examples I can see what he means about losing something in the conversion. Although to be honest I completely missed the "chicken" reference when I watched it.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

Note: Contains a spoilery vid for those new to the show.
Excellent read! Thanks for posting, and yeah, I had missed that reference as well, probably just one of many though, which means watching this new version will be like seeing an old friend again but using a slightly different set of eyes.
post #35 of 110 Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Now I have an excuse to watch it all over again.
post #36 of 110 Old 12-09-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Precisely!
post #37 of 110 Old 12-09-2014, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3938 Post(s)
Liked: 4089
I got the DVD set for X-mas a while back and had intentions of sitting down and watching it when I had the time to binge. But it just hasn't floated to the top of the queue and I still haven't seen it. Should I now wait for the BD's? if so, is it going to matter that I'll be seeing it in an aspect ratio for which it wasn't framed & shot, and in which it was never intended to be shown?
post #38 of 110 Old 12-09-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I got the DVD set for X-mas a while back and had intentions of sitting down and watching it when I had the time to binge. But it just hasn't floated to the top of the queue and I still haven't seen it. Should I now wait for the BD's? if so, is it going to matter that I'll be seeing it in an aspect ratio for which it wasn't framed & shot, and in which it was never intended to be shown?
You should read the article. You gain in some areas and lose in others, but by season two I never even noticed the aspect ratio as the characters dominated my attention.

"At the last, I’m satisfied what while this new version of The Wire is not, in some specific ways, the film we first made, it has sufficient merit to exist as an alternate version. There are scenes that clearly improve in HD and in the widescreen format. But there are things that are not improved. And even with our best resizing, touchups and maneuver, there are some things that are simply not as good. That’s the inevitability: This new version, after all, exists in an aspect ratio that simply wasn’t intended or serviced by the filmmakers when the camera was rolling and the shot was framed."
Keenan likes this.

post #39 of 110 Old 12-23-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Dec. 26 Ah Yeah..back to Baltimore & "The Game".
post #40 of 110 Old 12-24-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 117
We've been working through The Wire for the first time for the last few months. We started on Comcast's streaming service. After they screwed something up and we couldn't access it anymore, we switched to watching on Amazon. We've been watching there for several weeks now, and it's been HD the whole time. Any guesses on what version they have? Are we seeing HBO's first HD conversion, from before David Simon stepped in and kicked off round 2?
post #41 of 110 Old 12-24-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
We've been working through The Wire for the first time for the last few months. We started on Comcast's streaming service. After they screwed something up and we couldn't access it anymore, we switched to watching on Amazon. We've been watching there for several weeks now, and it's been HD the whole time. Any guesses on what version they have? Are we seeing HBO's first HD conversion, from before David Simon stepped in and kicked off round 2?
The currently available "HD" streaming versions are just upscaled. If its in 4:3 format, its the old master.
post #42 of 110 Old 12-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The currently available "HD" streaming versions are just upscaled. If its in 4:3 format, its the old master.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's 1.78, not the original 1.33.
post #43 of 110 Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's 1.78, not the original 1.33.
Interesting. Amazon must have paid a premium to get that. Even HBO Go still has the old version.
post #44 of 110 Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I mentioned this several months ago. Amazon had a 16:9 version for nearly all the seasons, which they then pulled when HBO announced their intention to rebroadcast. It must have come back. Hard to say which version they had before or after without direct screen comparison.

post #45 of 110 Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Anyways; The entire series rebroadcast starts Friday, 12/26, on HBOS.
Young C likes this.
post #46 of 110 Old 12-24-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
For those lucky enough to have HBO Signature, Comcast in the SF bay area market only provides the main HBO channel, everything else they expect you to view through their VOD product - no thanks.

DirecTV is having a free preview of HBO, Starz, Showtime and Cinemax Jan 8-11, I wonder if they'll air all the episodes during that time period?
post #47 of 110 Old 12-24-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Thanks!
post #48 of 110 Old 12-25-2014, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 4005
Just found this thread. Thanks to all for the heads up about the availability of a refreshed HD, 16:9 version of The Wire. I have long awaited it, never having understood David Simon's stubborn insistence on SD, 4:3. Simon's piece, which somebody linked to earlier in the thread, seems to indicate that he has finally come to terms with this great series moving into the 21st Century. I can hardly wait for the marathon to start!
post #49 of 110 Old 12-26-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Just found this thread. Thanks to all for the heads up about the availability of a refreshed HD, 16:9 version of The Wire. I have long awaited it, never having understood David Simon's stubborn insistence on SD, 4:3. Simon's piece, which somebody linked to earlier in the thread, seems to indicate that he has finally come to terms with this great series moving into the 21st Century. I can hardly wait for the marathon to start!
Watching episode 1/2 on Fios the HD project appears a success! Have been a huge fan and own the dvd's and just watched year 1 last month on the dvd and HBOGO adjusting the aspect ratio to 1.2 thru an OPPO 103D.
The yard scenes in the projects have more background detail, the colors are slightly better, and more detail even in closeup conversations. The picture on the dvd's at least for year 1 and 2 is quite good and episodes 1 and 2 look better in HD.
post #50 of 110 Old 12-26-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
The Wire is looking really impressive via. DirecTV. The 35mm film is formatted really well to 16:9.
post #51 of 110 Old 12-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Looks a lot like it does on Amazon streaming. I think I detect a bit of DNR, but its not intrusive.
post #52 of 110 Old 12-26-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In episode 3 the day light yard scenes in front of the Terrace projects, especially the scene at the beginning, have a lot more depth than in the original version. Makes these important scenes much better. The colors are slightly sharper too.
post #53 of 110 Old 12-26-2014, 01:41 PM

Pretty sure the audio has been remastered too.
post #54 of 110 Old 12-26-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I have long awaited it, never having understood David Simon's stubborn insistence on SD, 4:3. Simon's piece, which somebody linked to earlier in the thread, seems to indicate that he has finally come to terms with this great series moving into the 21st Century.
Because he was respecting the decisions of the co-creator who died during the show. Colesbury wanted to shoot in 16:9 before the show even began but was vetoed by HBO.

For supposed Wire fans not many are making the effort to read the history and explanations from the man himself.

"As I’ve made clear, I’ve messed with a Bob Colesberry template here, and the man, when passionate, spoke in long coils, building slowly and inexorably to a summation. And yes, eternity is a long ****ing time. So if you’ve long wanted The Wire in HD, unass a bit of coin for a scholarship that honors Bob and supports future filmmakers in his name. You’ll be doing me a small, karmic solid."

post #55 of 110 Old 12-26-2014, 03:54 PM

There were clearly some issues opening some frames. I just saw a scene with Bubbles on the street and they had to black out the right third of the screen. Lucky it was at night!

Looks pretty sharp otherwise.

post #56 of 110 Old 12-26-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
not in HD here on my local fiber cable co Minet Fiber...it is on HBOSigP.
post #57 of 110 Old 12-26-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I've never seen much of The Wire, but have been watching it in HD today. It looks very good. The framing seems to work at 16:9, except for some close or medium shots where there's a lot of dead space on one or both sides.
post #58 of 110 Old 12-27-2014, 02:44 PM

I was just watching S1, ep 3 or 4 where Bunk and McNulty are looking over the cold case crime scene. (where the girl was shot through the window).
I'm always awed by this scene, its a masterpiece of writing, filming and editing. Almost 5 min long and the only words spoken are "f**k", "f**k me", "motherf**ker". Yet an entire story of how the murder happened is told, and we get to see how a skilled pair of detectives work together. Its like an acting class.
post #59 of 110 Old 12-27-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
I've never seen much of The Wire, but have been watching it in HD today. It looks very good. The framing seems to work at 16:9, except for some close or medium shots where there's a lot of dead space on one or both sides.
Yeah I noticed the dead space too. There are some comparison shots online now and you can see where they've tried to ameliorate that by zooming in and reframing slightly. You can see how the shots would have looked better if they had been able to frame for 16:9 but for the most part it does still look very good. Since there is a lot of dialog and close head shots those scenes look much improved without noticing the dead areas.

post #60 of 110 Old 12-27-2014, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 4005
Quote:
I was just watching S1, ep 3 or 4 where Bunk and McNulty are looking over the cold case crime scene. (where the girl was shot through the window).
I'm always awed by this scene, its a masterpiece of writing, filming and editing. Almost 5 min long and the only words spoken are "f**k", "f**k me", "motherf**ker". Yet an entire story of how the murder happened is told, and we get to see how a skilled pair of detectives work together. Its like an acting class.
I too watched the scene in the kitchen where for several minutes word of dialog between Bunk and Jimmy included the word "f*ck." I wouldn't have believed such dialog could have been made to work but I agree that it did. It was helped by the brilliant photography and visual storytelling that accompanied it.

Have watched the first nine episodes and loved everyone of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page