post #1 of 110 Old 08-23-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 324
The Wire on HBO-HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VpC3JtED-Po
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VpC3JtED-Po[/video]

Coming September 2014, a remastered, HD version coming to HBO.

I've never seen The Wire so this is a big deal for me. Every The Wire thread was locked due to the program not being in HD. I wonder if it's acceptable to create this thread as the September 2014 marathon will be remastered in HD.

I do not have any press releases, just the Youtube video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Wow, this is weird.

David Simon said it would never be in HD and 4:3 was how it was shot and always the way it was supposed to look. So this means that they are performing zoom and crop, just upconverting the 4:3 or someone found a way to add extra image to the sides.

This doesn't sound David Simon approved in any case or I expect there would be some big big press release. Even if it is on HBO Signature.

post #3 of 110 Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I read on another forum (Googled for more information) and somebody said this could be an internet rumor. Guess we won't have to wait for long to find out if it's accurate

post #4 of 110 Old 08-23-2014, 10:23 AM

According to this old interview with the season 5 DP:

And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."

"These later episodes of the show are shot Super 35, 3-perf, and that saves a lot of money because that means we're shooting about three quarters of the film we used to. But we're only using the 4 x 3 part, so we're losing the edges of the 16x 9, but it's less than we were using when it was 4-perf, so (the image is) somewhere between a Super 16 image and a standard 35 (mm) image."

http://library.creativecow.net/artic...o_the_wire.php

post #5 of 110 Old 08-23-2014, 09:10 PM

So I checked the version on Amazon Prime (which I have never done before since I have HBOGo and DVD) and the first four seasons are 16:9 and season 5 is 4:3. However all the seasons on HBOGo are still 4:3!

From a quick comparison with the opening of S01E01 it looks like Amazon was using the some of the 16:9 framing that got removed, but I can't tell what (if anything) exactly is missing. However season 4 is 16:9 too and according to that interview above it shouldn't exist, so I don't know what Amazon did there.

post #6 of 110 Old 08-24-2014, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
I'm not sure why anyone would assume that being remastered in HD also means 16:9. It does not.
post #7 of 110 Old 08-24-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would assume that being remastered in HD also means 16:9. It does not.
Which I pointed out in the second post.

post #8 of 110 Old 08-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
A few years back D TV's 101 Network showed the complete series, in order, in 16x9. They claimed it was HD. It looked OK, was just glad to see it again. The later seasons seemed to look a little better. Wouldn't mind another look. What a great series it was...
post #9 of 110 Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
I read on another forum (Googled for more information) and somebody said this could be an internet rumor. Guess we won't have to wait for long to find out if it's accurate
I check my programming guide and it does have The Wire airing on HBO Signature starting September 4th. We'll see how the picture looks then.
post #10 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Finally confirmed coming to HBO, HD digital and Blu-ray. David Simon has the full story on how it was shot, what was going on with the aspect ratio and what they did to compose it for 16:9.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-in-hd/

Press release:

HBO(R) Unveils New High-Definition Re-Mastering of Award-Winning Hit Series "The Wire(R)"

In the six years that have passed since the conclusion of the HBO series The Wire, the critically acclaimed drama has turned into a worldwide phenomenon that has been hailed as "one of the best and most original series on television in decades" by the New York Times. Now, new and old fans of the series can watch the show like never before thanks to a brand new High-Definition upgrade of all 60 episodes, which will debut in December on HBO Signature(R) and HBO GO(R). The Wire: The Complete Series will be available to own on Digital HD Monday, January 5, 2015 and on Blu-rayTM in Summer 2015.

The entire series has been beautifully re-mastered in 16x9 Full-Frame HD from more than 8,000 reels of original 35mm camera negative, allowing for a tighter fit on widescreen TVs and computer/tablet screens. The original negatives were scanned, edited, dust-busted and color-corrected with great care and attention taken to stay true to the look and feel of the original Standard-Definition 4x3 version.

The Wire: The Complete Series in HD will be available for the first time as a full series purchase at iTunes, Google Play, X-Box Video and Vudu on January 5. Individual episodes and seasons will be available through all of HBO's Digital HD retailers.

To celebrate the HD launch, HBO Signature will air the entire series consecutively, one season per day starting with season 1 on Friday, December 26 at noon. The marathon will wrap with season 5 on Tuesday, December 30.

This will be the first time The Wire has aired on a linear HBO channel since Season 5 wrapped in 2008, as well as the first time that all five seasons of the entire series have aired consecutively on the network.

All 60 episodes will also be available in HD on HBO GO starting December 26.

post #11 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 557
OK, I support Simon but this seems like a money grab.

Probably sees the high prices that the Breaking Bad Blu Ray sets are fetching (still over $200 despite all the 2014 holiday promotions) and saw dollar signs.

Maybe in a few years, if the Blu-Ray box sets are available under $40 I'll bite. By then, I might have nostalgia for the show again.

I've been buying Mad Men Blu Ray sets because they've been a bargain. I got the first 4 seasons for less than $9 each. But after the show ends, they'll probably try to push a $200 plus complete series box set.

Sorry, I'll buy the individual seasons if they're available under $20, not a cent more.
post #12 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 153
If u have never seen the wire it's a great show. I saw it as it aired on hbo and probably binge watched the seasons twice after. HD doesn't excite me but if u have never seen it. Same for the shield from fx. Another great show out around that time that was sd.
post #13 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
OK, I support Simon but this seems like a money grab.

Probably sees the high prices that the Breaking Bad Blu Ray sets are fetching (still over $200 despite all the 2014 holiday promotions) and saw dollar signs.
Did you read that article? HBO was planning this since last year with or without Simon. When he saw the promos announcing the premiere date he got in touch with them to make sure it was done right. That's probably why the original air date was pushed back.

post #14 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How does that make it less likely it is about money?

Simon used to be vehement about the Wire not being in HD and now he's changed?

If Treme had been a bigger success, maybe he would have stood his ground or at least make it clear that he doesn't bless HBO changing his original version.
gwsat likes this.
post #15 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

If Treme had been a bigger success, maybe he would have stood his ground or at least make it clear that he doesn't bless HBO changing his original version.
Man stop whining. Don't buy the set or don't watch when it re-airs but let the people that can't wait to buy this set enjoy it without your bickering about a money grab. Like you wouldn't do the same thing.
post #16 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah, my saying HBO and Simon are interested in making money prevents you from enjoying a TV show?

You need to get a tougher skin.
post #17 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:

You couldn't be bothered to read the article could you? Again, HBO are doing this. They were already set for release without his involvement.

Since when has Simon chased the money? Every project he works on is against the mainstream and he's already in the middle of another show scheduled for HBO next year. And yet again, it's not mainstream.

HBO have no problem giving Simon regular work. If he needed money he could be writing action movies instead of human drama.

post #18 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So Simon isn't going to get a cent from sales of these remastered discs?

Or any money from having these HD versions aired on HBO Signature or available on HBO Go?
post #19 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
So Simon isn't going to get a cent from sales of these remastered discs?

Or any money from having these HD versions aired on HBO Signature or available on HBO Go?
If it was about the money (which he would get a portion of as creator anyway) the show would have gone on the air in September and been released already.

So apart from extra work on Simon's part so he can reframe shots and modify existing HBO conversion, what does asking HBO to delay it post-holiday do for him?

post #20 of 110 Old 12-02-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Ah, my saying HBO and Simon are interested in making money prevents you from enjoying a TV show?

You need to get a tougher skin.
Judging from your posts on this subject. Practice what you preach.
post #21 of 110 Old 12-03-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Aside from all the bickering.. Have always thought The Wire was the greatest series ever. The series is taught as a Sociology seminar at Duke University. Am now watching it again and am at s3ep4. The episodes are dense and more rewarding the 2nd or third time viewed. I paid $35 for each of the seasons dvd and am certainly not complaining about being released in 16:9 HD. Why is anyone complaining? We can now discuss The Wire on Avsforum
post #22 of 110 Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiophileWalt View Post
Aside from all the bickering.. Have always thought The Wire was the greatest series ever. The series is taught as a Sociology seminar at Duke University. Am now watching it again and am at s3ep4. The episodes are dense and more rewarding the 2nd or third time viewed. I paid $35 for each of the seasons dvd and am certainly not complaining about being released in 16:9 HD. Why is anyone complaining? We can now discuss The Wire on Avsforum
You are correct! There is like 8 threads that are locked and closed.

I've still yet to see this show
post #23 of 110 Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiophileWalt View Post
The Wire's widespread acclaim is very well deserved. It is one of very few shows that really had me desperate to see what will happen next. The convincingly intricate plots and different overarching season themes kept things completely fresh from beginning to end. And the performances from the actors are second to none.

If I were to catch this show for the first time today, I would probably become a shut-in and binge watch every episode.
post #24 of 110 Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The Wire is something i very much need to see, I know it would be right up my ally. Finally got to Breaking Bad, on final season now, and it has been excellent, ranks up there with my all-time favorites.

Is The Corner recommended viewing before the Wire (If I understand correctly, it is a prequel, same characters)?

Taking on a show like this, whether great or not, is a big time commitment!

EDIT - Re: The Corner - I found this. "Many actors from The Corner later appeared on David Simon's next television series, The Wire, often playing very different roles, including Clarke Peters, Maria Broom, Corey Parker Robinson, Reg E. Cathey, Clayton LeBouef, Donnell Rawlings, Tootsie Duvall, Robert F. Chew, Lance Reddick and Delaney Williams. Alexander and Peters later starred in Simon's Treme." from wikipedia.

so it sounds independent.

Last edited by djb5f; 12-03-2014 at 09:39 AM.
post #25 of 110 Old 12-03-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
The Corner is definitely independent of The Wire, but it is very much worth watching. I remember that miniseries having a profound effect on me as I was a high school student at the time and very much unaware of the downtrodden society outside of my little, self-involved bubble.
post #26 of 110 Old 12-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Looks awesome, loved The Wire!!!

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE (L/R), Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE-C, Wave Crest HVL-1 (Surr) and Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
post #27 of 110 Old 12-05-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So will the HD episodes be on demand starting December 26 as well as HBO go? I was going to subscribe to HBO for a month next month and will have to check this show out, it seems to get high praise from everyone.
gwsat likes this.
post #28 of 110 Old 12-05-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Supposedly, but The Wire is not really for binge-watching. It's something that requires digesting rather than plow through episode after episode in rapid succession.
post #29 of 110 Old 12-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Supposedly, but The Wire is not really for binge-watching. It's something that requires digesting rather than plow through episode after episode in rapid succession.
I beg to differ. I've binged on it many times. A month is plenty of time to watch it all.
post #30 of 110 Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I binged watched it and I was fine. You can binge watch the Wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page