AVS Forum banner

iZOMBIE on the CW

14K views 483 replies 50 participants last post by  Josh Z 
#1 ·
Looking forward to seeing this but we will have to wait till 2015.

A med student who has turned into a zombie takes a job in a coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she needs to maintain her humanity. Whenever she consumes a brain, she inherits the memories that person had in their brain. With the help of her boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the voices in her head and save her from herself.

See less See more
#3 ·
I was kind of excited about this show until I found out it was just going to be another thinly-veiled excuse for a crime drama. Honestly, I expect more from CW. They're usually the semi-creative ones, even if the things they create don't appeal to the demographics on this forum.

#11 ·
I am cautiously optimistic.

I see Rob Thomas' name and I expect whip-smart banter. If it delivers that it will go a long way to ironing out any less interesting parts.

#15 ·
I loved Veronica Mars but this needs to be darker. It seems like they said zombies are popular so is CSI so let's mix them. This seems like something a suit would do.

I will give it another shot but there is too much on cable and other places that will take me if it doesn't get better.

#21 ·
I'll check it out based on the positive responses so far, but if it turns out to be a procedural without major story arcs developing, I'll probably stop watching too. Both SHIELD and Arrow seemed pretty episodic in their first half season before getting good, so maybe there's hope, unless this show is simply a cop procedural by design.

#20 ·
This has some potential to be a new Buffy. She's a zombie super-heroine, with powers and everything. Excellent premise, all kinds of potential. Funny, sad, quirky, quick, and three appealing core characters for starters. She needs more friends, but the pilot would have been too soon for that.

And she's not a teenager, nor are any of the other characters. They're young, but they're adult professionals. This is good.

A keeper.

#24 ·
First episode was mostly what I was disappointingly expecting. Zombie Tru Calling. Psychic Bones.

Competent crime show but apart from the promise of the ending the zombieness was minimal to almost pointless. Unlike Veronica Mars the show doesn't have an interesting or colorful array of supporting characters either. The lead actress is fine, the ME was fine, but the cop was forgettable and the rest of her family barely worth featuring. At least Ty Olsson can cross another genre-show of his list. He must be trying for a record!

The only reason I'm going to keep watching for now is that Rob Thomas said they start pushing the crime-solving into the background to do more zombie-based stories.

"So we have a number of cases now that we get evidence and the bad guy folds because we want to get to the kickass fun mythology stuff. And so we’re placing less emphasis on the case, how the clues unfold. Particularly when she can get visions at any time time to get those murder cases solved, because as we’re watching the show, as the executives are watching the show, we want to get the audience to our mythology. We want to get to our main characters and let that be the focus."

But that doesn't happen for at least four more episodes yet and with the season only being 13 episodes long it's going to be over before it starts getting to the promise of the good stuff.

Honestly, I think the original source material with ghosts, vamps and were-beings sounded a lot more fun.

#26 ·
Much better than I thought it was going to be. In fact from just the title alone I had very low expectations and wasn't even going to watch but from reading this thread early on I thought it had promise.
Speaking of the title, I wonder who in the heck it's aimed at? I disliked it at first, wife disliked it and even 2 kids who are the CWs prime demo hated it :eek: In fact they both said, "pretty decent show, awful title".........
If I had more time it sounds like I should check out Veronica Mars, I know the name but I've never seen it or any part of it, only so many hours in a day.

#27 ·
I also came into the show with low expectations and found it quite entertaining. But like VisionOn said, the supporting characters are a bit forgettable, and I would even throw the ME into that category. Hopefully this will be like "Being Human" where after the first four episodes the show and characters get more involved with the bigger picture world of "monster" politics and activities. I suspect that "Sark" is the local zombie ringleader and he purposely targeted iZombie girl to infect her for some reason.

#28 ·
I got a particular kick of it being set in Seattle where I used to live. Particularly because KSTW is a real TV station and probably now the CW affiliate. Back in the early 1970s and under a different ownership I used to play in a jazz trio on a weekly variety show hosted by the owner from the quonset hut studios.

#29 ·
I got a particular kick of it being set in Seattle where I used to live. Particularly because KSTW is a real TV station and probably now the CW affiliate.
Google is your friend! :p

KSTW shows "the CW11" on its web pages and it indeed airs The Flash and iZombie on Tuesday nights.

I wonder if KSTW had to pay to get its named mentioned in the show.

My late sister is buried near Seattle, but I doubt that her body got changed into an iZombie. ;)

#32 ·
Although this show will have an arc (with David Anders zombie character) I think VM started out far more confidently and more importantly with much more interesting characters.

Kristen Bell was an ace in the hole, but you also had the amazing chemistry with her dad Enrico Colantoni and the introduction of a colorful set of characters like Weevil, Logan, Dick, Wallace etc.

The case in the VM pilot wasn't important next to the character interactions and dialog. The pilot of iZombie put far too much importance on the crime for my liking. The time jump didn't work in it's favor there because I think if we had seen the reactions of everyone as soon as Gwen woke up the next day to discover she was a zombie it would have been more interesting.

I've said it before but I think the best part of a comic book hero is the origin story. We didn't really get one here.

#39 ·
Yes, the comic panels are a good stylistic touch throughout the show.

Although how long before it just gets chopped down to be a title card? That's what usually happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.