'The Mysteries of Laura' on NBC - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By BoilerJim
  • 1 Post By Matt L
  • 1 Post By tomhunter8

post #1 of 25 Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 118
'The Mysteries of Laura' on NBC

I watched the pilot last night, and it's safe to say that I will be finding something else to view at 10:00PM on Wednesday nights. This was one of the most inane shows I have seen in a long time, and I hate that I spent 60 minutes of my life on this so-called cop show. The only 'mystery' is why Debra Messing would associate herself with this piece of elephant dung. Blech, blech, and triple blech!!!
Young C and ltownsend like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
I watched the pilot last night, and it's safe to say that I will be finding something else to view at 10:00PM on Wednesday nights. This was one of the most inane shows I have seen in a long time, and I hate that I spent 60 minutes of my life on this so-called cop show. The only 'mystery' is why Debra Messing would associate herself with this piece of elephant dung. Blech, blech, and triple blech!!!

tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back.
LOL.

So that's what I watched last night. TV was on in the background and this "silly" show was on. Wasn't very good, but I wasn't focused on the show either
post #4 of 25 Old 09-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
And for those of you who REALLY enjoyed it, it repeats tonight. "The case" might have been tolerable, but her home life, kids, estranged husband were just horrible. Don't see this making it.

Last edited by JohnS-MI; 09-18-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-18-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Messing last starred in the less than spectacular Smash, which at least was good enough to keep me around for the length of its run. In stark contrast, The Mysteries of Laura promises nothing appealing to me at least. Messing is 46. an age when starring gigs are harder and harder to come by. In short, it's been a long time since Will & Grace.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Messing last starred in the less than spectacular Smash, which at least was good enough to keep me around for the length of its run. In stark contrast, The Mysteries of Laura promises nothing appealing to me at least. Messing is 46. an age when starring gigs are harder and harder to come by. In short, it's been a long time since Will & Grace.
I watched the first season of 'Smash' but somehow lost interest about 2-3 episodes into the 2nd season. I remember her from her starring role in 'Ned and Stacey' and even further back as Dana Abandando, the sister of Donna Abandando (Gail O'Grady) in the early days of NYPD Blue.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
And for those of you who REALLY enjoyed it, it repeats tonight. "The case" might have been tolerable, but her home life, kids, estranged husband were just horrible. Don't see this making it.
It will be a mystery if the Mysteries of Laura make it to the third episode! Like you, the case looked interesting enough, but the home life, the mischievous kids, and the husband who was thwarting any attempt at disciplining the kids so turned me off that I I didn't last more than two minutes past the husband bringing presents when the wife was trying to give the kids a time-out.

I think the only reason why the show got such a high rating last night was just because it was after the America's Got Talent finale.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
+1, the whole kids and husband thing was atrocious, 1 and done for me and like the OP that 1 was kind of a waste of 45 min of my life
post #9 of 25 Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Funny, the husband and kid thing seems the most normal to me. I know families with kids like that, as for the divorce that seemed pretty normal to me too. Wat got me was the stupidity with the ring. The odds of that happening are astronomical.

I'll give it a few more shots to see how it develops, pilots are always a bit off compared to the run of the show.
faceoff likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-19-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
It will be a mystery if the Mysteries of Laura make it to the third episode! Like you, the case looked interesting enough, but the home life, the mischievous kids, and the husband who was thwarting any attempt at disciplining the kids so turned me off that I I didn't last more than two minutes past the husband bringing presents when the wife was trying to give the kids a time-out.

I think the only reason why the show got such a high rating last night was just because it was after the America's Got Talent finale.
And everyone with the exception of those living in Georgia turned off the football game.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-19-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The pilot's not as atrocious as reviewers have deemed it, IMO, but far from the best show ever. I'll give it a couple more eps. Maybe.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #12 of 25 Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Caught this again last night.

Don't want to be critical in case other people really like the show.
post #13 of 25 Old 09-25-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
Don't want to be critical in case other people really like the show.
These programming threads shouldn't be just for fanboys, all viewpoints are welcome Of course one has to wonder why some people continually knock a show, I mean personally if I really dislike a show I just stop watching it and if I stop I'd probably stop posting in it's thread
That said I didn't really care for Laura's pilot and if it were up to me it would probably have been a one and done, as it was it had a high WAF so I'll probably watch a couple more at which point if I still don't care for it I'll probably just leave the room when it comes on. Here's hoping it gets better
post #14 of 25 Old 09-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I don't think it's going to work at a dramedy. Maybe focus on the comedy.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-25-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Actually the second was much improved or the first, but still needs work.
post #16 of 25 Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 246
We are obviously in the minority, but my wife and I are enjoying this show. It definitely isn't perfect, but so far it has been fun.
faceoff likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 10-01-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Great looking HD and characters but the rest isn't so great, and this week the wife agreed Were out.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-02-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched the episode last night. Silly show!
post #19 of 25 Old 10-09-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
Watched the episode last night. Silly show!
So did I and then the one this week. I think if the lady cop was dressed just a little lees frumpy, maybe like Beckett on Castle & given a chance it my be an entertaining show
post #20 of 25 Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I watched premier episode and was shocked that it was 42 minutes. I would have sworn it was 15 hours long. I always watch 3 episodes before deciding. Not this time.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I ran away also. What a waste of a show.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #22 of 25 Old 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Not so bad as done to death. Was Sandra Bullock not available? I kept getting flashes of "Miss Congeniality".

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #23 of 25 Old 04-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Once again, KNTV in the Bay Area is showing preempted TV shows by a Giants game on KOZI-TV (11-2).
The Mysteries of Laura is the only new episode that is affected.
post #24 of 25 Old Today, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I like the new addition to the cast--Meg Steedle as "Frankie". She is fun and sort of an antithesis to Laura. Just one observation--has Meg had something done to her upper lip? At certain angles, it appears her upper lip is protruding markedly. It gives her a pronounced "Cupie Doll" look, IMO. It doesn't quite look natural. Any opinions about this?

Another observation--have you noticed that there always seems to be two topics mentioned in each show? By that, I mean, food and sex are always in the story. Sometimes blatantly, sometimes not. But they always seem to appear in each episode. I'm not complaining nor condemning. Just an observation.
post #25 of 25 Old Today, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I like the new addition to the cast--Meg Steedle as "Frankie". She is fun and sort of an antithesis to Laura. Just one observation--has Meg had something done to her upper lip? At certain angles, it appears her upper lip is protruding markedly. It gives her a pronounced "Cupie Doll" look, IMO. It doesn't quite look natural. Any opinions about this?

Another observation--have you noticed that there always seems to be two topics mentioned in each show? By that, I mean, food and sex are always in the story. Sometimes blatantly, sometimes not. But they always seem to appear in each episode. I'm not complaining nor condemning. Just an observation.
Food is always popular, and what is it that's said about sex, it sells, and it opens the show to adult humor. With out it this show would not be any fun. Can you envision every cop show as a copy or spinoff of Dragnet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page