Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 76 Old 09-29-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saturday morning cartoons are no more.

For the last five decades at least one of the major broadcast networks has aired a block of children's cartoons on Saturday morning. From Scooby Doo in the 1960's to Transformers, Thundercats and Ninja Turtles in the 80's to Recess, Pokemon and Yugio in the 90's and 2000's generations of American children have tuned in on Saturday morning to enjoy their favorite shows. On Saturday September 27th that came to an end.

The CW'S Vortex programming block, the last block of Saturday morning cartoons on a traditional network aired for the final time this past Saturday. The the lone holdout on a format that has been steadily disappearing over the last few decades finally pulled the plug on the traditional cartoon block opting to air live action educational programming instead. Citing several reasons such as program mandates, falling viewership and inability to compete with cable networks such as Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, the CW made the decision to end their Saturday morning cartoon block, closing the book on a tradition that spans multiple generations and over 5 decades. With an overwhelming number of U.S. households holding cable subscriptions and having access to 24/7 cartoon channels, the truth is the traditional Sat morning children's block is obsolete. Still as someone who has fond memories of the tradition I find the end of the saga sad. What is your reaction to the news and what are some of your Saturday morning cartoon stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 09-29-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
My (related) post from another recent thread:

I'm going strictly off memory, but I'm sure any of this can be looked up.

The Fantastic Four, Hulk, (Ironman?) & Spider-Man 'toons were from the latter 60s. I remember them, but vaguely. That's pretty much the era when Hanna-Barbara OWNED after-school & Saturdays (Flintstones (original), Huckleberry Hound, (Johnny Quest?), Magilla Gorilla, Pixie & Dixie, Quick Draw McGraw, Ruff & Ready, Snagglepuss, Squidly Diddly, Top Cat, Wally Gator, Yogi Bear, amongst others (I used to own many of those on the Viewmaster 3D; wish I still had them)

The best of the 70s: (IMO) Fat Albert, The Pink Panther, Scooby-Doo, Star Trek, Tarzan and the Super 7. The Super 7 was on CBS, and it included the Dark Knight. Tarzan and Batman were exceptionally animated.

The worst of the 70s: (the new) Flintstones, Grape Ape, Inch-High Private Eye, (the new) Tom & Jerry Show, Superfriends. Perhaps Croft productions had something to do with the decline of Saturday mornings; that's an interesting observation.

The 80s weren't much better. The Smurfs were OK, but the new Alvin and the Chipmunks stank. Didn't get into the Transformers; I was too old for that. At some point in the latter 80s, NBC decided to totally throw away cartoons altogether. A cost saving move, I guess, but there was plenty of trash on primetime to throw away instead. Around 1990, after at least some 25 years on CBS, the Looney Tunes were ported over to ABC briefly before getting pulled off network rotation.

But, NBC recently brought back childrens programming including some cartoons, just as CBS takes its 'toons off the air. ABC pulled its remaining animated shows about 4 years ago. I assume too much competion (Web, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon) was pulling away viewers.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #3 of 76 Old 09-29-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 421
I also remember the likes of Mighty Mouse, Bugs Bunny/ Roadrunner, The Archies, Underdog, Space Ghost, King Kong animated, Felix the Cat, Casper, and the Herculoids, among others. Ah, the joys of childhood.
post #4 of 76 Old 09-29-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
I also remember the likes of Mighty Mouse, Bugs Bunny/ Roadrunner, The Archies, Underdog, Space Ghost, King Kong animated, Felix the Cat, Casper, and the Herculoids, among others. Ah, the joys of childhood.
Don't forget Farmer Gray chasing all those mice, Betty Boop, and Popeye.
post #5 of 76 Old 09-29-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinclair3 View Post
For the last five decades at least one of the major broadcast networks has aired a block of children's cartoons on Saturday morning. From Scooby Doo in the 1960's to Transformers, Thundercats and Ninja Turtles in the 80's to Recess, Pokemon and Yugio in the 90's and 2000's generations of American children have tuned in on Saturday morning to enjoy their favorite shows. On Saturday September 27th that came to an end.

The CW'S Vortex programming block, the last block of Saturday morning cartoons on a traditional network aired for the final time this past Saturday. The the lone holdout on a format that has been steadily disappearing over the last few decades finally pulled the plug on the traditional cartoon block opting to air live action educational programming instead. Citing several reasons such as program mandates, falling viewership and inability to compete with cable networks such as Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, the CW made the decision to end their Saturday morning cartoon block, closing the book on a tradition that spans multiple generations and over 5 decades. With an overwhelming number of U.S. households holding cable subscriptions and having access to 24/7 cartoon channels, the truth is the traditional Sat morning children's block is obsolete. Still as someone who has fond memories of the tradition I find the end of the saga sad. What is your reaction to the news and what are some of your Saturday morning cartoon stories.
I have this great memory (from about 7 or 8 years old) of sitting on my dads recliner with a bowl of cereal, the sun shining through the window warming my leg and Alvin and The Chipmunks on the T.V.
post #6 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'd like to add to the list in no particular decade or channel (local or national): Fantastic Voyage, Fantastic Four, Skyhawks, Hot Wheels, Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down?, Tom of T.H.U.M.B, Cool McCool, Hector Heathcoat, Josie and the Pussycats (In Outer Space too), The Funky Phantom, Super Six, The Mighty Heroes, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Superman/Aquaman Adventure Hour, Shazam! (the genie), Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles, Thunderbirds, Fireball XL-5, Thundar the Barbarian, Chattanooga Cats, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Wacky Races, Mighty Orbots, Galaxy High, The Real Ghostbusters, Spiderman, Birdman and the Galaxy Trio,........man there was just so much to watch back then!!
post #7 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Can't believe nobody mentioned the Jetsons, G.I. Joe, Voltron, X-Men, He-Man, Thundercats, Dungeons & Dragons, My Little Pony/Mr. Potatohead, Gummy Bears, Care Bears, Tiny Toons, and the Animaniacs.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #8 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 AM

G.I. Joe, Voltron, Thundercats were mostly shown during the weekdays after or before school, depending on where you lived, if I recall. Robotech, Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers, Ducktales, Transformers, Jem and the Holograms and many more were among this group.
post #9 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
...... CBS's "In The Know " that ran between cartoons,, The Big World Of Little Adam, Gigantor, Lancelot Link-Secret Chimp, The Jackson 5 Cartoon, Underdog, The Beatles, Secret Squirrel, ...
post #10 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was always partial to the Road Runner and Foghorn Leghorn.....
osu1991, audiofan1 and Dark Matter like this.
post #11 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Strictly speaking, Fireball XL-5 wasn't a cartoon, but it was a Saturday morning kid's show, so I guess it counts. So does Sky King.
post #12 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Are we dating ourselves here?

I don't recall a lot of these shows.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Can't believe nobody mentioned the Jetsons, G.I. Joe, Voltron, X-Men, He-Man, Thundercats, Dungeons & Dragons, My Little Pony/Mr. Potatohead, Gummy Bears, Care Bears, Tiny Toons, and the Animaniacs.
I recall a lot of those. We must have grown up around the same time

Last edited by Young C; 09-30-2014 at 02:01 PM.
post #13 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
Are we dating ourselves here?
I believe that's a crime in most states - not including Arkansas...

At any rate, I was all over Rocky and Bullwinkle, Voltron and Thundercats (which did have a Saturday slot, later moving to afternoons, along with Scooby Doo and Flintstones reruns. Occasionally, I would catch episodes of GI Joe.There was also shows like Justice League, He-Man and the Ninja Turtles.

Of course, in High School, I worked for a latch key program where we would let some of the kids watch the afternoon Disney block as a reward for good behavior. That included Chip and Dale, Ducktales, Talespin, Darkwing Duck and Inspector Gadget.
Young C likes this.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 09-30-2014 at 02:14 PM.
post #14 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Strictly speaking, Fireball XL-5 wasn't a cartoon, but it was a Saturday morning kid's show, so I guess it counts. So does Sky King.
Neither Thunderbirds nor Supercar were cartoons, but super-marionette. However, I don't recall if they were Saturday morning or weekday, but I think I watched Supercar on Saturdays.

My Saturday memories include:
  • Beanie & Cecil
  • Rocky & Bullwinkle (with various permutations of the show name over the years and included Fractured Faerie Tales, Mr. Peabody and Sherman)
  • Casper the Friendly Ghost
  • Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny, The Road Runner, Sylvester and Tweety, Speedy Gonzales, etc.),
  • Flintstones
  • The Jetsons (and I recall Elroy watching the Flintstones on his TV watch)
  • Tom and Jerry
  • Felix the Cat (and his magic bag of tricks)
  • the Pink Panther (seemed to start about a year after the Peter Sellers movie of the same name)
  • Underdog ("There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!")
  • Top Cat
  • Jonny Quest (no "h" in Jonny)
  • Astro Boy
  • The Woody Woodpecker Show
  • The Dudley Do-Right Show
  • Mighty Mouse.
  • Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
  • Jackson 5ive
  • Dick Tracy
  • Yogi Bear (He'll sleep till noon, but before it's dark, he'll have every picnic basket in Jellystone Park)
  • The Archie Show

Some of these might have been afternoon or prime time instead of Saturday mornings--those shows were on a long time ago--most in the 1960s when I was the appropriate demographic for viewing such content.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #15 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Neither Thunderbirds nor Supercar were cartoons, but super-marionette. However, I don't recall if they were Saturday morning or weekday, but I think I watched Supercar on Saturdays.

• Beanie & Cecil
  • Rocky & Bullwinkle (with various permutations of the show name over the years and included Fractured Faerie Tales, Mr. Peabody and Sherman)
  • Casper the Friendly Ghost
  • Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny, The Road Runner, Sylvester and Tweety, Speedy Gonzales, etc.),
  • Flintstones
  • The Jetsons (and I recall Elroy watching the Flintstones on his TV watch)
  • Tom and Jerry
  • Felix the Cat (and his magic bag of tricks)
  • the Pink Panther (seemed to start about a year after the Peter Sellers movie of the same name)
  • Underdog ("There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!")
  • Top Cat
  • Jonny Quest (no "h" in Jonny)
  • Astro Boy
  • The Woody Woodpecker Show
  • The Dudley Do-Right Show
  • Mighty Mouse.
  • Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
  • Jackson 5ive
  • Dick Tracy
  • Yogi Bear (He'll sleep till noon, but before it's dark, he'll have every picnic basket in Jellystone Park)
  • The Archie Show

Some of these might have been afternoon or prime time instead of Saturday mornings--those shows were on a long time ago--most in the 1960s when I was the appropriate demographic for viewing such content.
Yeah, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Astroboy, Flintstones, and Jonny Quest weren't on Saturday morning, but they evoke fond memories anyway. Oh, and let's not forget the Mickey Mouse Club.

Astro Boy, as you fly,
Strange new worlds you will spy,
Atom celled, jet propelled,
Fighting monsters high in the sky!
Astro Boy, there you go,
Will you find friend or foe?
Cosmic Ranger, laugh at danger,
Everything is go Astro Boy!
Crowds will cheer you, you’re a hero,
As you go, go, go Astro Boy!
post #16 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Are you sure Rocky & Bullwinkle wasn't on Saturdays? I recall watching them on Saturdays. Ah, vindication: at one time it did air on NBC early Saturday afternoons, according to this wikipedia page.

The Mickey Mouse Club at the time I was growing up was mostly live action, except for opening and closing credits and (usually) one cartoon.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #17 of 76 Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

snip
Quote:
The CW'S Vortex programming block, the last block of Saturday morning cartoons on a traditional network aired for the final time this past Saturday.
I usually watch Justice League and sometimes Spiderman. Gonna miss it a little. To think, NBC got out of the game first and now they're the last Saturday morning holdout.

post #18 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
anyone remember the beatles cartoon series?

was a must watch Evers Saturday morning in our neighborhood

neflixis our nemesis
post #19 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Among many of those mentioned, I watched Crusader Rabbit. There were some live action shows like Fury (starring Peter Graves), My Friend Flicka, and Sky King.
post #20 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Godzilla even had his own Saturday morning cartoon. You had a group of scientists on a boat in the ocean travelling the world, and monsters always seemed to show up. But the leader could press a button on his belt to summon Godzilla to fight, or Godzooky (Godzilla's much smaller cousin) could summon him with a howl.

It just lasted two seasons (1978-79), but it was a pretty cool cartoon.
post #21 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Superfriends and Justice League were rituals for me on Saturday mornings... "Lords of Light!" I still miss Thundar the Barbarian as well!
post #22 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
  • Beanie & Cecil
Cecil: "No Bikini Atoll? WOW!!!"
post #23 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Don't forget these guys . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heckle_and_jeckle_promo_picture.png
Views:	36
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	289721

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #24 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 12:48 PM

I remember The Beatles cartoon. The Osmonds, The already mentioned Jackson 5. Later came The Brady Kids, Happy Days and Lavern and Shirly (in the armed forces with a pig for a sergeant!). Other tv related animated shows I remember: Gilligan's Planet, My Favorite Martian, I Dream of Jeannie. Were there others?
post #25 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Someone mentioned the " Archie " Cartoon / Comics ....
This happed to "Archie" a couple months ago:

LOS ANGELES — Archie Andrews will die taking a bullet for his gay best friend.

The famous freckle-faced comic book icon is meeting his demise in Wednesday's installment of "Life with Archie" when he intervenes in an assassination attempt on Kevin Keller, Archie Comics' first openly gay character......
"The way in which Archie dies is everything that you would expect of Archie," said Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics publisher and co-CEO. " He dies heroically. He dies selflessly. He dies in the manner that epitomizes not only the best of Riverdale but the best of all of us. He dies heroically. He dies selflessly. He dies in the manner that epitomizes not only the best of Riverdale but the best of all of us. It's what Archie has come to represent over the past almost 75 years."

& A few Weeks Ago :

"Stan Goldberg, who drew Archie comics for more than 40 years, died on Sunday at a hospice in " the Bronx. He was 82.
He had a stroke on July 24, said his son Bennett, who confirmed the death.

Mr. Goldberg was a freelancer for Marvel Comics during the 1960s, working closely with giants of the field like Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.
post #26 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post
I remember The Beatles cartoon. The Osmonds, The already mentioned Jackson 5. Later came The Brady Kids, Happy Days and Lavern and Shirly (in the armed forces with a pig for a sergeant!). Other tv related animated shows I remember: Gilligan's Planet, My Favorite Martian, I Dream of Jeannie. Were there others?
Ben, a character from The Waltons, and Star Trek (featuring the original crew; don't know about their voices, though).

post #27 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
No one mentiones Beat Wars! Sad times indeed, I would never wake up in time for school but you can bet your britches I was up in time for the 6:30 Saturday cartoons!
post #28 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
There was also The Partridge Family 2200AD, Emergency+4 (4 kids joing the 2 guys from the live action show), New Adventures of Gilligan's Island-mid 70s before the late 80s Gilligan's Planet, Lassie's Rescue Rangers, The Dukes (of Hazzard), and Mork and Mindy.
Movie spin offs, Planet of the Apes, Teen Wolf, Back to the Future, Ace Venture Pet Detective, video game tie ins, PAC Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair. The Pink Panther theatrical shorts followed by newly produced episodes ran for several years on NBC.

Some of my favorites were- New Adventures of Flash Gordon, Spiderman and his Amazing Friends, Dungeons and Dragons, Filmation's 80s Mighty Mouse- Heckle & Jeckle Show, Goldie Gold and Action Jack, Spider-Woman, Marvel produced Fantastic Four (minus the Human Torch), and the already mentioned Thundarr.
Live action shows includes Shazam & Isis, Ark II, Space Academy, Jason of Star Command, Land of the Lost-the original, there was a 90s reboot version on ABC. Sitcoms "Big John, Little John", McDuff (a talking dog), Monster Squad, and Krofft shows Wonder Bug, Bigfoot and Wild Boy, Lost Saucer, and Electra Woman and Dyna Girl.

Awesome recollections by all. The producers had so little money to make these shows back then, and it truly is a miracle that many of their efforts- however flawed, entertained us and left behind such fond memories.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 10-01-2014 at 07:17 PM.
post #29 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Ben, a character from The Waltons, and Star Trek (featuring the original crew; don't know about their voices, though).
Star Trek, yes original voices. Only person not in cast was Walter Koenig as Chekov, which is why they had three-armed Arex (sp?).

Even guest appearances by Mudd (Roger C. Carmel) and Cyrano Jones (Stanley Adams).
post #30 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
There was also The Partridge Family 2200AD, Emergency+4 (4 kids joing the 2 guys from the live action show), New Adventures of Gilligan's Island-mid 70s before the late 80s Gilligan's Planet, Lassie's Rescue Rangers, The Dukes (of Hazzard), and Mork and Mindy.
Movie spin offs, Planet of the Apes, Teen Wolf, Back to the Future, Ace Venture Pet Detective, video game tie ins, PAC Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair. The Pink Panther theatrical shorts followed by newly produced episodes ran for several years on NBC.

Some of my favorites were- New Adventures of Flash Gordon, Spiderman and his Amazing Friends, Dungeons and Dragons, Filmation's 80s Mighty Mouse- Heckle & Jeckle Show, Goldie Gold and Action Jack, Spider-Woman, Marvel produced Fantastic Four (minus the Human Torch), and the already mentioned Thundarr.
Live action shows includes Shazam & Isis, Ark II, Space Academy, Jason of Star Command, Land of the Lost-the original, there was a 90s reboot version on ABC. Sitcoms "Big John, Little John", McDuff (a talking dog), Monster Squad, and Krofft shows Wonder Bug, Bigfoot and Wild Boy, Lost Saucer, and Electra Woman and Dyna Girl.

Awesome recollections by all. The producers had so little money to make these shows back then, and it truly is a miracle that many of their efforts- however flawed, entertained us and left behind such fond memories.
Heck, even Punky Brewster had a cartoon series for a while.

I do remember watching The Jackson 5. That was some trippy stuff during the music segments. The only episode I remember from Dukes of Hazzard was when the call the Queen to get them out of jail and it works because...you know...they're Dukes, of course.

I also remember watching picture pages and Cosby Kids with Bill Cosby and later in the afternoons "The Joy of Painting" with Bob Ross would come on. I loved those happy little trees....

I also remember School House Rock.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 10-01-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
cartoons , networks , Ota , saturday morning cartoons

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page