AVS Forum banner

Inspector Lewis on PBS-HD

4K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  sneals2000 
#1 ·
Inspector Lewis is back. This one snuck up on me, I didn't realize it was back on. Anyway, just a heads up in case anyone else was unaware.

#2 ·
I just started watching IL - up to Counter Culture Blues so far. I hope the popularity lives on long enough for an Inspector Hathaway series (Can't believe Laurence Fox is married to Billy Piper, and hear that she may appear in the next series. The characters they play are about as opposite as you can get)...

#3 ·
I would also look forward to an "Inspector Hathaway" series as I find him the most interesting character on Inspector Lewis, just as I found inspector Lewis the most interesting character on the old original Inspector Morse. I really like IL and it's currently my favorite British show on PBS.

#4 ·
I was under the impression that Lewis had ended after series eight, at the request of Kevin Whately. Apparently someone convinced him to make a ninth series which was announced in April. No air date has been set yet, as far as I know. The last shows I have seen are from series eight, and that is the last season listed on EPGUIDES. I especially liked "The Lions Of Nemea". I haven't heard anything about a series based on Hathaway.

#5 ·
Love this series. Have watched from the beginning and loved John Thawe - Lewis has always been a favorite and hopefully when Kevin calls it quits Hathaway will continue on ......:):)

Reactions: gwsat
#8 ·
I too smile whenever Inspector Morse is mentioned and find myself looking around for his red Jaguar sedan. :)

Reactions: ltownsend
#7 ·
I like Morse also but it does seem rather dated :eek: 4x3 and videotape quality, still good material just not nice crisp 16:9 HD like Lewis.
Oh and Church AV guy, I(and probably everybody else) haven't heard a Hathaway spinoff is eminent, I think were just wishing :)

#20 ·
I like Morse also but it does seem rather dated :eek: 4x3 and videotape quality, still good material just not nice crisp 16:9 HD like Lewis.
Though althought it may have 'videotape quality' - Morse has always been shot on film, and I believe it has been remastered in HD for new HD broadcasts on ITV3 HD AIUI.

A Blu-ray remaster of Morse would be great to see. (The BBC have done this with the 1980s Miss Marple productions, along with the 1990s Pride and Prejudice release and they are very good quality)

Also - ISTR that the first series of Lewis shot for HD (not sure if this was the first series or later) was very grainy as it was shot on Super 16. Later series shot for HD were shot electronically ISTR, and are much cleaner.

#9 ·
I remember now. Kevin Whately said that he, personally, was now older than the mandatory retirement age for detective inspector, and since a real inspector would have retired by now, he should do so from the role. Apparently SOMEONE disagreed. Yeah, I have all the Lewis programming on DVD. Aside from that, I have all the Morse episodes as well. Very entertaining stuff indeed! :)

#14 ·
Yes and a boss that starts out saying he's not going to interfere......and does the complete opposite :rolleyes:
Glad this show is on and with all the Olympics I would have missed it, if it had not been for my Tivo's wishlist which caught it :cool:
Too bad this will be the last season, lots of good BBC productions seem to be ending or on their last series.....wonder whats up with that :confused:
Glad it's back!

#15 · (Edited)
Yes and a boss that starts out saying he's not going to interfere......and does the complete opposite :rolleyes:
Glad this show is on and with all the Olympics I would have missed it, if it had not been for my Tivo's wishlist which caught it :cool:
Too bad this will be the last season, lots of good BBC productions seem to be ending or on their last series.....wonder whats up with that :confused:
Glad it's back!
Its airs on ITV actually. No association with the BBC. Morse wasn't either, nor Downton Abbey, another long running but now ended series.

#19 ·
Agreed. The Endeavour series has reminded me of why I find Morse to be such a fascinating character.

Reactions: ltownsend
#31 ·
Did anyone notice when Maddox (going on the girl's night out) briefly introduced her neighbor, that Hathaway sort of did a double take? Maybe just setting up a 'happy ending' to the Lewis series, providing a female companion for Hathaway to ride off into the sunset with.

#29 ·
Not to get too OT in this "Inspector Lewis" thread but yesterday at a local store I saw a BD collection of Midsomer Murders and it mentioned 1080p HD and no mention of SD source material.....note the main actor pictured isn't the one in our PBS airings(John Nettles) so maybe were just getting old episodes. I looked on the BD box but no mention of original air date, just when the BD was made. I still say judging from the picture quality the episodes were getting on PBS were somewhere along the line stored or transported on some sort of SD video tape, the picture just has that look to it....

#30 ·
John Nettles was the original Inspector Barnaby in Midsomer Murders. His era were shot on Super 16, but likely were likely to be edited in SD and onlined to DigiBeta SD tape or similar in the SD era. Not sure if Nettles was still around when the show went HD.

Neil Dudgeon has taken over the lead role since around 2010 (he's the original, John Nettles, Barnaby's cousin, also a Barnaby - which makes life easier in Europe where the show is known as 'Barnaby' or 'Inspector Barnaby') These will all have been shot 25p - probably on Arri Alexa or similar (possibly film - but I doubt it)

One thing to be aware of is that "1080p" is often used in Europe to describe 1080psf25 (1080p25 in a 1080i25 format - because Blu-ray doesn't allow for 1080p25 native...)

#34 ·
Perhaps not. From what I read Kevin Whately wanted to retire. The show was a homage and continuation of the original show and as such was welcome viewing. However, since then Endeavour launched and is a hit. As long as the "young" Morse prequel is successful the chances for a Hathaway led series seems less likely.

As for me, I can handle two good Oxford police British shows without a sweat.

#35 ·
I too wouldn't mind two series, one featuring the young Morse and the other starring Hathaway. Both shows are well done village mysteries, which are a good deal fresher and more original to me than most of the police procedural dreck we see on TV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.