AVS Forum banner

Twin Peaks

17K views 300 replies 45 participants last post by  isolar8001 
#1 ·
Twin Peaks to return in 2016 as a 9 part mini series on Showtime. David Lynch and Mark Frost will write all 9 episodes with Lynch directing all 9. Showtime will air all the previous 2 seasons episodes before the series returns 25 years after being canceled. No details as of yet on what cast members will be back. I hope that Showtime will also air the Twin Peaks movie, Fire Walk With Me.

#9 ·
There are few bigger Twin Peaks fans than me, and I've been dreading the prospect of this revival. It's almost certain to disappoint, if not outright desecrate the legacy of the original show. A big part of me hopes that these reports of the project stalling are true, and not just some negotiating tactic on Lynch's part.

Reactions: ss9001
#12 ·
I agree with you. Since the vast majority of remakes-reboots are inferior to the original, the one thing that could have made this an exception is Lynch's involvement. If that goes....

TP redux could end up like Gracepoint was to Broadchurch :p

Plus, I really don't need to see the story re-told & neither does anyone else!!!

For those who haven't seen Twin Peaks and would be drawn to this, just go watch the original! It's already a classic cult show, so why bother with what's sure to be an inferior remake?

Now if the new TP was actually going to continue the story and give it a proper ending....totally different situation and I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Only Lynch can preserve the vision of the series and maintain its integrity to his original. Without him, the writers will no doubt find a way to F it up as they always do.

#22 ·
Back to the thread topic for a second. I've read, and it's unsubstantiated, that the budget issue is over copyrighted music that Lynch wants to use and Showtime doesn't want to pay for. If that truly is the problem it would seem like it would be easy to fix but I've never had to deal with copyrighted music or David Lynch.

#23 ·
If so, why? The original Twin Peaks had that amazing original soundtrack. I don't recall a lot of popular music, the kind for which royalties must be paid, being used on that show. But granted, it's been over 20 years...

At any rate, what's the big deal? If Lynch wants some popular music to evoke certain emotions, just do covers. (The music really should be original though, don't you think?) But don't let the whole shootin' match fall through because of that, for heavensake.

#36 ·
What I'm afraid of as far as this revival goes is that Lynch is thinking that since people are expecting weird, by god he'll give them weird. Really, truly, deeply weird. And it will be an incoherent mess. But people will watch because they remember the original series fondly.

#37 ·
TP was revolutionary for its time, but it did spiral out of control too.

I hope DL doesn't go off the deep end and at least tries to tell a semi-linear story.
However, I wouldn't count on it...

#41 ·
Is 18 too much of a good thing?

I'm deeply ambivalent about this revival. The last approachable thing DL did was Mulholland Drive, and that was 2001! Can you go home again? I almost wish we had a new cast of characters, so there'd be one fewer point of comparison.
No argument here.

People forget how TP spiraled out of control and became nonsensical.;)

#42 ·
18 sounds like 2 seasons and I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some new characters. I for one haven't forgotten how the original spiraled. Despite what I've read I never believed the show was meant to run more than one season. The feature film Fire Walk With Me was an interesting mess. It's hard to say what we will get.

#43 ·
18 eps may or may not be an appropriate number to tell a new TP story. But it is most definitely too many for one man to direct, especially David Lynch who is much older, and possibly much nuttier, than he was back when Agent Cooper had his first cup of damn fine coffee.

I could see this show losing focus and energy as it drags on unless they lighten his workload considerably.

#44 ·
18 eps may or may not be an appropriate number to tell a new TP story. But it is most definitely too many for one man to direct, especially David Lynch who is much older, and possibly much nuttier, than he was back when Agent Cooper had his first cup of damn fine coffee.

I could see this show losing focus and energy as it drags on unless they lighten his workload considerably.
He would better serve the project as an "Executive Producer."
IOW, in a role similar to what Elmore Leonard had with Justified.
I can seem him throwing out the occasional story idea, but the real work would be done by others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.