The Affair on SHO - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #1 of 43 Old 10-08-2014, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 156
The Affair on SHO

At once deeply observed and intriguingly elusive, THE AFFAIR explores the emotional effects of an extramarital relationship. Noah is a New York City schoolteacher and novelist who is happily married, but resents his dependence on his wealthy father-in-law. Alison is a young waitress trying to piece her life and marriage back together in the wake of a tragedy. The provocative drama unfolds when Alison and Noah meet in Montauk at the end of Long Island.

Award-winning playwright and writer/producer Sarah Treem (House of Cards, In Treatment) wrote the original script from a story created with Hagai Levi. They first worked together on the American adaption of Levi’s show In Treatment. Treem and Levi will both serve as executive producers, along with executive producer and director Jeffrey Reiner (Friday Night Lights) and executive producer Eric Overmyer.

For more information, please visit the official website below:
http://www.sho.com/sho/the-affair/home

IMDB page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2699110/

You can watch "The Affair" on Showtime starting on Sunday, October 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM CST

See you guys at the premier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Anyone watch it yet?
I DL'd it but haven't gotten a chance to view it...

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #3 of 43 Old 10-10-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I think both of them are fantastic

Ruth Wilson

Maura Tierney
post #4 of 43 Old 10-13-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Another great show to watch on Sunday. This is going to be a winner.

These are just my opinions.
post #5 of 43 Old 10-13-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I thought it was terrific. Good to see McNulty again.

Very enjoyable.
Don S likes this.
post #6 of 43 Old 10-14-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Nice slow-paced intro to a series, with time to delve into the waitress' outdoor shower--and lusty car-hood antics with her partner or hubby. Second part of the intro retells Alison's and Norah's initial summer meeting from her point of view, like some European romance films or Kurosawa's "Rashomon." Then there are flashback snippets of police interviews, foretelling what you might expect from the series title. -- John

EDIT: Anyone come across what production cameras they used? IMDB tech specs are only: color, 16:9 HD.

Last edited by John Mason; 10-15-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: add-on query
post #7 of 43 Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

EDIT: Anyone come across what production cameras they used? IMDB tech specs are only: color, 16:9 HD.

post #8 of 43 Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ ^ ^That's good. LOL. And from a https encrypted image source, too !

Last edited by John Mason; 10-17-2014 at 06:04 AM.
post #9 of 43 Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very well done opener. I like it.
post #10 of 43 Old 10-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 172
The wife and I enjoyed it too! Yes its great to see Dominic West in a show again, man I miss The Wire!!

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
post #11 of 43 Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2814 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
I love this show. Although I am having a hard time adjusting to Ruth Wilson in a new role. I am so used to her riveting character Ruth Morgan on BBCA's Luther (an equally fantastic show).
post #12 of 43 Old 10-25-2014, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Any guesses on who is dead? I think it's Joshua Jackson's character's brother the one who took a liking to Noah's daughter.
post #13 of 43 Old 10-25-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
Any guesses on who is dead? I think it's Joshua Jackson's character's brother the one who took a liking to Noah's daughter.
Could be Helen's a-hole daddy, Bruce Butler. But my preferred guess is also Cole's brother Scotty (last seen as Ollie's ill-fated friend Tommy on 'Arrow'). No other male characters have been developed enough.
post #14 of 43 Old 11-03-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'm really liking this show and can't believe there aren't more comments in this thread. Sure would like to know who died. Based on the clue given when Noah discussed what would make his new book different, I thought I had it all figured out, but apparently not.
post #15 of 43 Old 11-10-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
All the high quality programming on television these days make this a golden age. The Affair is a stunning work, as was Olive Kitteridge.
Gov likes this.
post #16 of 43 Old 11-10-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Following the series I didn't initially think I'd like. The format hooked me a little.
Not because it hasn't been done before, but because it has a certain twist that keeps it interesting.
OK, the first 3 & then episode 4 aligned on the excursion.

On the investigation. This carrot doesn't seem to be base of the story to me. If it turns soon, OK, but I
don't think it will be the "Act Three" some people expect. Just a guess
post #17 of 43 Old 11-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
All the differences between Alison's and Noah's recollections of their encounters is enjoyable to watch. Even the clothing details are quite different. I expected each one to remember the other's reactions and interest in each other differently, but the length of the hem line adds a lot to it also.

David M.
post #18 of 43 Old 11-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So now we know who the victim is.
post #19 of 43 Old 11-13-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
I'm really liking this show and can't believe there aren't more comments in this thread. Sure would like to know who died. Based on the clue given when Noah discussed what would make his new book different, I thought I had it all figured out, but apparently not.
Scotty Lockhart the brother in law
post #20 of 43 Old 11-13-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post
Scotty Lockhart the brother in law
Yes, thanks. I'm still liking this show a lot.
post #21 of 43 Old 11-18-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Still hangin' with this.
Think I'm beginning to hate Noah & Alison and like everyone else for some reason.
We'll see, but the season 2 green light means we don't resolve much in the second half
of this one. Right?
post #22 of 43 Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh My. Shades of "48 Hours" on A&E, where it seems most U.S. homicides are drug-related. Alison's biking about with a plant-derived drug in a 'fish basket', then the scurrying at the cab station to hide the cocaine stash and clean up, makes drug laws insane fictionally, too. Noah bailed out on her, at least in this last episode. No doubt this'll all end (final part-1 episode) with the states and feds adapting Swiss, Dutch, Portuguese, etc. possession laws. Then their affair will go into "Same Time, Next Year" mode. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 11-21-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo
post #23 of 43 Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Still hangin' with this.
Think I'm beginning to hate Noah & Alison and like everyone else for some reason.
We'll see, but the season 2 green light means we don't resolve much in the second half
of this one. Right?
I've read somewhere that the writes supposedly had at least red season "planned" out so who knows. Since the cop is focusing on this one summer you kind of assume that is where it would end. I assume there is a bigger arc outside of the death and the summer so we'll have to see where it goes.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #24 of 43 Old 12-23-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I watched every episode and as much as I liked it, I was so frustrated that they chose not to wrap it up. Why does every successful series need to be milked to death?
post #25 of 43 Old 12-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
Well, I watched every episode and as much as I liked it, I was so frustrated that they chose not to wrap it up. Why does every successful series need to be milked to death?
Agree. I enjoyed the show a lot but really did expect the Scotty Lockhart part of the show to be wrapped up this season. That is the least interesting part of the show to me so dragging it on doesn't make any sense.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #26 of 43 Old 12-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 46
It seems like with each episode, the details/recollections of the two perspective diverge further. That gimmick distracts me.

I mean, in the first half of the finale, we have Noah and Scotty wresting in the yard until Cole breaks it up with a gunshot in the air. In the other half, we have Cole nearly going all suicidal with the gun in the kitchen; no appearance of Scotty at all.

I don't like the two totally disparate tellings of otherwise same circumstances.
post #27 of 43 Old 12-23-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
It seems like with each episode, the details/recollections of the two perspective diverge further. That gimmick distracts me.

I mean, in the first half of the finale, we have Noah and Scotty wresting in the yard until Cole breaks it up with a gunshot in the air. In the other half, we have Cole nearly going all suicidal with the gun in the kitchen; no appearance of Scotty at all.

I don't like the two totally disparate tellings of otherwise same circumstances.
This gimmick is obviously meant to dramatize for us the difference in perspectives for what ostensibly are the same objective event, from the points of view of the two parties involved in the same relationship. As we can plainly see (or so the creators would have us believe), these two perspectives of the same event can be quite different. And the difference seems to have become more divergent as the emotional undertone of their relationship has gotten more intense.

I actually find it interesting and entertaining. Kind of like throwing a story line at the writers in the writers room and challenging them to propose several different endings for the episode, even though the basic story line starts off the same way for all of them. All outcomes are "reasonable" (given how the story development is navigated) and yet different, although they all started from the same plot point.

I enjoyed the show, and the whole season. I particularly "felt" the deepening passion and actual true emotional love between Noah and Alison, whereas it started off initially as just an affair. The resulting complications and inevitable effects on others around them who also had emotional ties, as they got "found out", was very real and plausible.

True, WE still don't know exactly how Scotty got killed, nor have we really been given a clue as to who did it, but it does appear from the final scene that apparently both Noah and Allison know the answers.
post #28 of 43 Old 12-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
This gimmick is obviously meant to dramatize for us the difference in perspectives for what ostensibly are the same objective event, from the points of view of the two parties involved in the same relationship. As we can plainly see (or so the creators would have us believe), these two perspectives of the same event can be quite different. And the difference seems to have become more divergent as the emotional undertone of their relationship has gotten more intense.
I agree with this. It is like the saying there are three sides to every story. In this case it is his, hers, and the truth we just don't know the truth. Although in this case the end truth might not be different for either party but we'll have to wait and find out.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

post #29 of 43 Old 12-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post
I agree with this. It is like the saying there are three sides to every story. In this case it is his, hers, and the truth we just don't know the truth. Although in this case the end truth might not be different for either party but we'll have to wait and find out.
Just to add to this, I don't think the scene differences are meant to be taken literally, so to speak. Instead, Noah's and Alison's perspectives are more about what the essence of the situation is. In the kitchen scene, from Noah's perspective, it was about Cole protecting his brother. For Alison it was about Cole feeling the loss of first his son and now his wife.

Maura Tierney's acting in the scenes with Noah has been top notch. Both the scene where she tells him to leave and the scene when she tells him to come back were handled so realistically by her.

David M.
post #30 of 43 Old 12-24-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Maura Tierney's acting in the scenes with Noah has been top notch. Both the scene where she tells him to leave and the scene when she tells him to come back were handled so realistically by her.
Agreed.

Also, the Whitney daughter character is also well-cast and wonderfully performed, as a rotten rebellious hormones-raging coming-of-age teenage girl. I'm not so in love with the son character.

I'm very glad I've invested the time in this show so far. Looking forward to more. Hey... I watched all five seasons of "The Wire" and each season of it, too, was slow unfolding but wonderful in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page