New Episode Tracker For The Cord Cutter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Episode Tracker For The Cord Cutter

Hello, hope I got the right place on this one. Hoping for some ideas or advice on finding an ios app (ipad) for identifying new shows posted and available for watching/streaming which integrates Hulu+ and the network online access/apps.

We are new cord cutters, day one without D* and we're looking for a way to manage what we've been accustomed through with the old "playlist" on the dvrs. We've got a channelmaster in the attic, about 40 miles outside of town (get about 30 OTA perfectly clear channels), plus hulu+ and an apple tv for app access and screen mirroring from the ipad. We rarely watch live tv. What shows we do watch are on the OTA networks and hulu posts most of them online about 3 to 5 days after originally airing. Some of the network apps post them the next day, depending on the show. The Walking Dead is the only trouble spot with no app support, only watching via amc.com on a web browser, but the air play works great for that and can't miss the dead.

There are a number of ios apps that let you know when a show is broadcast & alerts you (TVTrakr, NextGuide), but it doesn't necessarily know when it's posted online for streaming so you have to keep checking the specific app or website. There are one or two which integrate with hulu and the network apps to alert you when it's online for streaming (TV Guide, Yidio), but no customization to have a running list to mark "watched" or delete like the old playlist did for series passes.

Anyone using anything combining both of them or ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I DVR OTA and pretty much refuse to view Hulu and such based on their quality and commercials so I can't help... However if one is looking for new streaming content largely off the beaten path USA Today has a Web to Watch section.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 98
While it's off topic for this section in your case what I'd do is get something like Silicon Dust tuners and feed them into a computer to create a DVR, add some good basic Streaming boxes like the WD to the various TVs and you'll feel like you have DireTV again. There are any number of tuners either internal or external that will develop a guide so you can set recordings.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The is an app called FAN TV on iOS that allows you to search for a show and it will tell you if/how/where you can stream it (includes Hulu and Hulu+), but that may not be exactly what you are looking for discovery-wise. It's a nice iPad app I must say though. There is also a Can I stream it? app that you can filter by stream and Includes Hulu+ as well.

p.s. Slightly OTA : My favorite TV show tracker - by a mile - is an Android-only app called TV SHOW Favs. It's fantastic in every respect for what I use it for. However, it doesn't integrate streaming availability and also I realize you are looking for iOS here ..

Last edited by Don S; 10-16-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement