Gov
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 118
"Olive Kitteridge" Mini-Series on HBO

I cannot believe there is no thread on this
The wife and I just finish watching this, and I have to say, this was outstanding in everyway! Very moving and great character development. Award winning performances, story script and film! Frances McDormand and Richard Jenkins were the stand outs. Bill Murray had a small part, but was very good. Many different emotions touched through out this 4 hours of this film. This is truly a must see and not to miss!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
i have it recorded just haven't gotten to it yet. your positive comments make me look forward to seeing it.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-10-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes, that's an excellent series. Almost got me to buy the Pulitzer-winning novel. Nice to see something without cops and the legal system. And a pleasant surprise to see a different outcome toward the end from the foreboding intro scene, 25 years after the story unfolds. Caught Showtime's feature film delivery of "August: Osage County" this weekend, with some similar raw-emotion drama. Puzzled, though, why since it was shot on film, with a 2k DI, bright outdoor scenes--and most others--seemed fairly fuzzy, like a weak print was used. Funny the Kitteridge miniseries contrasted with such excellent crisp cinematography. -- John
Gov likes this.

Last edited by John Mason; 11-10-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo
post #4 of 8 Old 11-18-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My wife and I watched this the last two nights. I am surprised there is nothing more about it here as well. I thought it was an excellent story well told and with great acting, though I have to say that Richard Jenkins who is a local stage actor I've watched for more than 30 years was one of the weaker parts.

Frances McDormand was spectacularly good. I hope she gets an emmy.

SMK
post #5 of 8 Old 11-20-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
My wife and I watched this the last two nights. I am surprised there is nothing more about it here as well. I thought it was an excellent story well told and with great acting, though I have to say that Richard Jenkins who is a local stage actor I've watched for more than 30 years was one of the weaker parts.

Frances McDormand was spectacularly good. I hope she gets an emmy.

SMK
I though Jenkins was fantastic, I thought he was very convincing in his role

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I though Jenkins was fantastic, I thought he was very convincing in his role
+1 and Frances McDormand, as well. John Gallagher from The Newsroom was great, too, but didn't have as complicated a role.

I was home with the flu this week and did a lot of tv watching to clear off my DVR. I was so engrossed in Olive Kitteridge that I watched it all the way through. Great writing, acting, scenery, costume...everything. As another wrote about the large quantity of police dramas and now superhero shows on TV, it is wonderful that novels about humans, their weaknesses and relationships are still used to create compelling shows or mini-series. Great job HBO!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-07-2014, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Frances gets my vote
post #8 of 8 Old 01-14-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post
I was home with the flu this week and did a lot of tv watching to clear off my DVR.
I use the year-end hiatus and Fall series wraps (before the new Spring series start) to work my way down through all of the recordings made over the past six months that I just never got to actually watch. For example, I just last night got started on the last season of "Orphan Black".

Anyway, I finally got to watch "Olive Kitteridge" from November.

Quote:
I was so engrossed in Olive Kitteridge that I watched it all the way through. Great writing, acting, scenery, costume...everything. As another wrote about the large quantity of police dramas and now superhero shows on TV, it is wonderful that novels about humans, their weaknesses and relationships are still used to create compelling shows or mini-series. Great job HBO!
Ditto.

What a treat (though a depressing and miserable one) to see a story like this about people, rather than cops and robbers and murders and violence.

SUPERB! Watched all four hours back-to-back. Couldn't stop. Though Bill Murray had a relatively minor role, I thought the whole final chapter interaction with Olive was just wonderfully warm and touching. A lovely coming together of two lives who both had lots of misery to look back on together, no doubt because they themselves were just miserable people at heart.

Great TV.

(NOTE: if you want a treat and haven't seen it yet, "Black Mirror" on Netflix. Six terrific hours.)
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page