NBC: "State of Affairs" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
NBC: "State of Affairs"

This new series is outlined in a link within this forum's "Hot off the Press." It's centered on a women CIA analyst who daily briefs the President--another women--on national threats. Has its moments, and while watching it's hard not to think of the CIA woman protagonist in the popular Showtime miniseries, "Homeland." . Lots of combat fighting in the mid-East, head-severings, etc., written into the pilot to keep things moving. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 11-18-2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I caught it in the background. Good show.

The cell phone digital (on screen) readouts is a little odd. Guess it's okay, more information for the viewers.
post #3 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
I caught it in the background. Good show.

The cell phone digital (on screen) readouts is a little odd. Guess it's okay, more information for the viewers.
Similar to the American "House of Cards"?
post #4 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Is amazing that she was able to survive several barrages of bullets aimed at her (at least that we saw on the shaky cam).

At least she hasn't lost her good looks, I quite remember her in undies in Grey's, not bad here.. (I would love to be one of those average joes she was picking up on bars)
Young C likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #5 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Way too much of a Homeland copy (we even have a Saul character in damn near his same hat for crying out loud) although the last 10 minutes intrigued me enough that I will give this show another episode. I think she or one of her group killed the Fatah terrorist guy and she is covering it up for reasons that remain to be seen. That's why she was so sure about trying to rescue the doctor instead of trying to assassinate Fatah, she knows Fatah is already dead. This is also why she kept Fatah out of the President's Daily Briefing, something that really should have been included, she knows it's irrelevant since he's dead but can't say how she knows.
post #6 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Homeland 2.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #7 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo3 View Post
Couldn't tell ya, haven't watched it.
post #8 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes. But House of Cards graphics for that looks better. These looked like off an old school cell phone.

Decent amount of action and intensity. Let's see if they can sustain it outside of the pilot.
post #9 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Yes. But House of Cards graphics for that looks better. These looked like off an old school cell phone.

Decent amount of action and intensity. Let's see if they can sustain it outside of the pilot.
Wonder if she'll bump into Annie Walker.
Chere likes this.
post #10 of 66 Old 11-18-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Is amazing that she was able to survive several barrages of bullets aimed at her (at least that we saw on the shaky cam).

At least she hasn't lost her good looks, I quite remember her in undies in Grey's, not bad here.. (I would love to be one of those average joes she was picking up on bars)

I'm sure there will be a weekly scene much like we saw this week. Getting out of bed in just panties and a bra, and removing the bra as she enters bathroom. I'm just surprised that the obligatory shot of the panties falling to the floor around her ankles wasn't included. Just what was the purpose of this scene other than to ensure a large male repeat audience next week?
post #11 of 66 Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
I'm sure there will be a weekly scene much like we saw this week. Getting out of bed in just panties and a bra, and removing the bra as she enters bathroom. I'm just surprised that the obligatory shot of the panties falling to the floor around her ankles wasn't included. Just what was the purpose of this scene other than to ensure a large male repeat audience next week?
Did anyone else see a huge glitch at that point of the show, it was about 1 minute in and the signal flipped to The Voice for about a second or two. I think the scene may have been too hot for my local affiliate.
post #12 of 66 Old 11-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Wife and I caught this show. I like it. Yes, there are definitely comparisons to Homeland but then again, just because you're a show about counter-terrorism doesn't mean you can't stand on your own, right? The names, events and details came at you pretty quickly in the pilot so we'll see how many common 'muricans drop out because the plot isn't spoon-fed to them.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few more episodes.
post #13 of 66 Old 11-19-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
end of Prez-Charlie conversation in cemetary

At the end of the cemetary scene, after CHarlie says she will kill everyone involved, the president walks away, then turns and says something. I can't make it out. Some about 'the both of us." Anyone make out what the president said?
post #14 of 66 Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
difficult show to buy into. she exudes the intellect of a top level analyst like walmart exudes ....

well you could make 100 comparison there....

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #15 of 66 Old 11-20-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecrime View Post
At the end of the cemetary scene, after CHarlie says she will kill everyone involved, the president walks away, then turns and says something. I can't make it out. Some about 'the both of us." Anyone make out what the president said?
The line that I recall was something to the effect of "That terrorist will make killers of us both."
post #16 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
It was "Sherlock" that started the trend of putting text messages on screen instead of showing a shot of the phone. Now everybody does it.

Heigl just doesn't have the gravitas to pull this off, IMO. And I don't think it's anything like Homeland except in the most superficial sense.
post #17 of 66 Old 11-24-2014, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
It was "Sherlock" that started the trend of putting text messages on screen instead of showing a shot of the phone. Now everybody does it.

Heigl just doesn't have the gravitas to pull this off,
IMO. And I don't think it's anything like Homeland except in the most superficial sense.

ill take understatements of the decade for $1000, alex

post #18 of 66 Old 11-24-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

if this devolves into a weekly ZDT ripoff, it will be done quick.

also LOL @ someone smuggling a phone into the CIA

get f'n real
ss9001 likes this.

post #19 of 66 Old 11-24-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I didn't set up a series recording after reading various reviews. After reading positive comments once it aired I recorded the pilot and was pleasantly surprised. I don't compare it to anything as it stands alone and more than likely I don't watch the other show anyway.
post #20 of 66 Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Better than I expected, will give it a few more episodes.
post #21 of 66 Old 11-24-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecrime View Post
Something to the effect of "This will make a killer out of both of us."
post #22 of 66 Old 11-25-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

omg @ the terrible physics/engineering BS at the start with the sub disaster

who gets PAID $$$$ to write this?

post #23 of 66 Old 11-25-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Horse **** episode IMO.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #24 of 66 Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
Better than I expected, will give it a few more episodes.
Same here. I've actually enjoyed the first three shows and like Katherine Heigl. It's not a bad interim replacement for Blacklist so Ill probably stick with it.
post #25 of 66 Old 11-25-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Recall an article several years ago about how the U.S. was tapping undersea cables. So, among the other incredulous details, it was hard to digest why our cable traffic, even fictionally, would carry complete details on CIA spies. Oh well, maybe the next episode will work. -- John
post #26 of 66 Old 11-25-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just the sub physics? Ha! The writers can't do math either.

Let's assume they intercepted one fiber @ OC-12 (622Mb/sec), note that it's probably OC-96 or more. 6 months is almost 16,000,000 seconds. The OC-12 is about 60MB/sec using 4-5 encoding and some ECC. To store 6 months of data requires just under 1 petabyte. And that's one fiber. That cable had thousands. A petabyte of storage should be container sized, not something that can fit into a cooler.

Watching a show which actually showed a fiber repair, the cable was about 4 inches in diameter, not nearly two feet. Given the cables has about 1200V to power signal repeater, any breach of the cable's shield will cause a massive short and cable failure.

Regardless, the traffic would have been strongly encrypted with rapidly changing keying so capturing the data would have been useless since there isn't enough compute power to decipher it regardless of what TV and movies would have you believe.
post #27 of 66 Old 11-25-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
Heigl just doesn't have the gravitas to pull this off, IMO. And I don't think it's anything like Homeland except in the most superficial sense.
correct on both points!

poorly acted drivel. NO comparison to Homeland or many other excellent, well-executed spy oriented dramas, like BBC's laterst The Game, or older MI5. Even 24 as contrived as it was, was far superior to this soap opera mess.

Really, high drama that "comes" out of the gate, with dialog about her just needing to 'come" and a flash scene with her taking sex from behind. OK we got the sex angle in the 1st 3 minutes. Next....

An entire summer of really good programming, more good shows to watch than I can recall in a long time, great dramas, genre shows, scifi, mysteries and fantasy. And this is what network TV comes up with for a fall, realistic CIA oriented show? give me a break. Manhattan was soapy but at least had historical significance to drive its story forward and it at least got some of the ideas behind the development of the A-bomb factually correct! There really was an implosion design and a gun design.

Katherine Heigl may be OK or downright great in breezy, fluffy romantic-comedy-drama but cannot be taken seriously in this role. plus her acting is wooden and the writing-dialog is insipid.

This week's sub episode had potential to be taken pretty seriously and what do we get? A briefing in which the analyst dressed to the nines, with diamonds, pearls and designer dress vs POTUS who looks like she's dressing to do some real work as President

And everyone giggling like school kids about the "stud", and making snarky kiddish comments when a real sub with a real asset and 6 months of highly damaging intel is sitting there. I guess the tears at the end were supposed to make up for the silly behaviors throughout the episode. And we are supposed to believe that is what really would happen?

Plus the ignorant comment from the lady who tells Charlie too bad we couldn't get a freighter there to hoist the sub....a ship pulling up a ship that weighs more, is buried in sediment and sinking, all with a standard issue common winch! Right!!

State of Affairs meet Science.

In truth, the CIA did have a top secret mission to hoist up a Russian sub in 1974 - it was called Project Azorian and it was not that long ago that the information was "declassified" and a documentary made.

Here's the reality from wiki -

"Project Azorian was one of the most complex, expensive, and secretive intelligence operations of the Cold War at a cost of about $800 million ($3.8 billion in 2014 dollars)."

and

"In addition to designing the high tech recovery ship and its unique lifting cradle, the U.S. used concepts developed with Global Marine (see Project Mohole) that utilized their precision stability equipment to keep the ship nearly stationary above the target (and do this while lowering nearly three miles of pipe). They worked with scientists to develop methods for preserving paper that had been underwater for years in hopes of being able to recover and read the submarine's codebooks. The exact reasons why this project was undertaken are unknown, but likely reasons included the recovery of an intact nuclear missile (R-21, also known as NATO SS-N-5-SERB), and cryptological documents and equipment....While the ship did recover a portion of K-129, a mechanical failure in the grapple caused two-thirds of the recovered section to break off during recovery."

and

"The K-129 was photographed at a depth of over 16,000 feet (4,900 m), and thus the salvage operation would be well beyond the depth of any ship salvage operation ever before attempted. On November 1, 1972, work began on the 63,000-short-ton (57,000 t), 619-foot-long (189 m) Hughes Glomar Explorer"

In the real world, it took creating a very special ship, cutting edge engineering, a whole lot of money and 4 years from planning to execution.

And the silly woman thinks just sending in a freighter would work

I don't expect a network drama to be that real but come on, at least try to introduce some degree of reality. The Brits can do it in their "spy" genre shows. 24 was contrived but at least it had drama.

State of Affairs is a turkey and I predict cancellation. I know I've deleted it after 2 episodes. Homeland & The Game are far superior to this POS. I haven't read but 1 reviewer say nice things about the show and Ep 2.

Most reviews say it's pretty mediocre, one I read gave it a D+. Most were better than that but still nothing better than mediocre.

Katherine may be seeking her TV comeback and maybe enough viewers will give it to her. But her acting in this one isn't very good, believable or interesting to watch.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 11-25-2014 at 04:56 PM.
post #28 of 66 Old 11-25-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i want more View Post
horse **** episode imo.
+100

Steve
post #29 of 66 Old 11-25-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggidem View Post
omg @ the terrible physics/engineering bs at the start with the sub disaster

who gets paid $$$$ to write this?
+100

Steve
post #30 of 66 Old 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Homeland 2.
that may be its intent but it fails miserably IMO. no comparison.

I see some here like it or are giving it a shot. You are brave folks

seriously, different strokes..we all have different tastes. I like my drama to be such that I could imagine having plausibility with people who I can imagine behaving the way they do. This doesn't do it for me. Sorry.

Gave it 2 episodes and I'm out. Hopefully it gets better for you all.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 11-25-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page