Atlantis on BBC America-8:00 PMSaturday Nights - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Programming > Atlantis on BBC America-8:00 PMSaturday Nights

HDTV Programming

barrelbelly's Avatar barrelbelly
06:36 PM Liked: 238
post #1 of 17
11-22-2014 | Posts: 1,761
Atlantis is a head scratcher for me. I want to like it. The opening show last year had an intriguing premise...that I thought I would grow to love. I don't hate it. It has its good moments. But the show IMO has devolved into a sort of predictable medieval formula with weird character twists. Hercules for example is just a fat, cowardly slob. Without a hint of any "Godly" gifts. He is a lovable loser. Pythagoras is just a "wussie" lock picker who has an occasional decent idea. Again...nothing special. Jason is a modernist trapped in an ancient world. Whoopee! He should know all of the potential outcomes unless he flunked European History in school. Because he is clueless most of the time. And the villain...his mother seems to be some mysterious time traveling evil witch. Whose agenda is shrouded by weak scripting. His father...at the end of the final episode last season was just flat out disappointing. He seemed to be nothing but a cave dwelling plot filler.

And yet for some strange reason I find myself coming back and watching this bland...tasteless British meal every week. Sort of like a dry soul less scone or donut...that you just know one day will have the tastiest of pudding or jelly filling. I hold out hope that Hercules will find his inner Zeus. Or at least rescue his beloved Medusa from her fate. Pythagoras will find his genius. The Princess will find her way into Jason's sheets before Calabos shows up & steals his cheese. Jason finds his way back home. And Atlantis find its way to the bottom of the Atlantic Sea. If I'm honest with myself...it's that last one that keeps me roped into this plate of British Sushi. I want to see how they eventually handle that fate. And if it is not epic...I will feel epically ripped off!
tomhunter8's Avatar tomhunter8
07:37 PM Liked: 183
post #2 of 17
11-22-2014 | Posts: 888
I really like this show. Not because it is great TV, but because it is fun TV. The reason I was drawn to it at first was because of Mark Addy (Hercules) because I loved his character Bill Miller on Still Standing and he is one of those actors that I'd just love to have a beer with. Once I realized that Atlantis was meant to be light fantasy with a humorous bent, I was able to just sit back and enjoy it. Much the same way that I enjoyed Eureka and Stargate Atlantis.

I can see why it might not be for everyone, but for me personally, I think they did a great job of casting because I really enjoy the characters. And although much of it may be because of my enjoyment of his previous roles, Mark Addy's Hercules cracks me up.

On a side note, my ears do perk up every time I hear a name or situation that references something from Jason and the Argonauts.
sneals2000's Avatar sneals2000
05:42 AM Liked: 54
post #3 of 17
11-23-2014 | Posts: 7,088
In the UK it slots right in to the "family entertainment on a saturday night" slot that Merlin and Robin Hood previously occupied, along with Doctor Who. It follows the first of the weekend's episodes of Strictly Come Dancing (aka Strictly) which is the original "Dancing With The Stars" and still an insanely popular show over here.

It's not Chekhov - but it's entertaining family viewing, though I think it is airing a little bit later than the first series and is possibly a little darker with a little bit more violence?

Some of the compositing in the first series was pretty marginal (never look at the shadows...) but this series looks to be better.
Thomas Desmond's Avatar Thomas Desmond
08:34 PM Liked: 15
post #4 of 17
12-02-2014 | Posts: 2,336
Doesn't "Atlantis" have many of the same behind the scenes people working on it that "Merlin" did? Certainly, "Atlantis" has a very similar feel to "Merlin" for me. Both shows have worked for me as light entertainment -- and as a sort of a weird nostalgia trip, as they both remind me in feel and character very much of what adventure shows were like when I was growing up in the seventies.
08:38 PM Liked: 183
post #5 of 17
12-02-2014 | Posts: 888
I didn't watch Merlin so I'm not sure. All I know is that I find Atlantis to be very fun and entertaining. I do miss Medusa though. I hope they can somehow bring her back because her relationship with Hercules was awesome.
vfxproducer's Avatar vfxproducer
11:40 AM Liked: 96
post #6 of 17
12-03-2014 | Posts: 1,979
I honestly don't get this show. Tried first season, gave up after two episodes. Tried again this season, doesn't work for me at all. It feels like the worst of the year 2000 low-rent syndicated action series such as Cleoptra 2525, Relic Hunter, and Andromeda. Maybe if I was 10 yrs old and Disney Channel and Nick didn't exist, I would watch it.
Garrett Adams's Avatar Garrett Adams
06:53 PM Liked: 138
post #7 of 17
12-03-2014 | Posts: 1,779
I wish they could come up with plots that don't rely on the new Queen being dumb as rocks.
05:36 PM Liked: 54
post #8 of 17
12-04-2014 | Posts: 7,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
I honestly don't get this show. Tried first season, gave up after two episodes. Tried again this season, doesn't work for me at all. It feels like the worst of the year 2000 low-rent syndicated action series such as Cleoptra 2525, Relic Hunter, and Andromeda. Maybe if I was 10 yrs old and Disney Channel and Nick didn't exist, I would watch it.
Think it may not travel well. The humour is quite "British" and a bit "Panto" (which is a very British family theatrical tradition with very clearly defined goodies and baddies) Personally I quite like it because it is what it is and isn't trying to be anything more. It also has a great cast who relish their roles and play them without irony, though there are some teeth marks on some of the bits of scenery I suspect.

It isn't arch. It isn't knowing. And I like that about it.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives
05:53 PM Liked: 442
post #9 of 17
12-04-2014 | Posts: 3,110
How does the humour compare to that of Merlin? I watched and enjoyed that series (and imported the DVD set), but I was kind of tired of the whole swashbuckling silly action thing afterwards and didn't pick up Atlantis as a result.
07:11 AM Liked: 54
post #10 of 17
12-05-2014 | Posts: 7,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
How does the humour compare to that of Merlin? I watched and enjoyed that series (and imported the DVD set), but I was kind of tired of the whole swashbuckling silly action thing afterwards and didn't pick up Atlantis as a result.
It's possibly a little more slap-stick in places than Merlin. Hercules's character in particular.
Sharp1080's Avatar Sharp1080
11:40 AM Liked: 54
post #11 of 17
12-06-2014 | Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
It's possibly a little more slap-stick in places than Merlin. Hercules's character in particular.

Hercules gets all of the good lines. I am still enjoying the show. However, I'm not sure about the whole new direction with the Queen and a new suitor and now Jason not being able to tell her he is of royalty. I also liked the Medusa character.
11:51 AM Liked: 54
post #12 of 17
12-07-2014 | Posts: 1,867
I guess the episode last night solved my previous complaint. Is anyone else still watching the show?
baja7475's Avatar baja7475
01:22 PM Liked: 41
post #13 of 17
12-07-2014 | Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I guess the episode last night solved my previous complaint. Is anyone else still watching the show?

I am, but I'm little behind because of holiday activities. I enjoy the show, a good light-hearted adventure.
01:27 PM Liked: 238
post #14 of 17
12-07-2014 | Posts: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I watched it. And remain a tad disappointed by it. I think they are dragging out the melodrama between Jason...his witch Mom...the Queen and her destiny way too much. IMO it is causing them to devolve the development and exploration of the other more interesting characters and potential plots (and storylines). They truly need to bring the wicked witch versus queen saga to a rapid closure. So as to allow the Jason character to evolve and grow alongside Hercules, Pythagoros, Medusa and other possibilities. Let the Queen and Jason give each other a serviceable mercy F..k. And move on if that is their destinies. Because it is really dragging the story down IMO.

BTW...I do like how Hercules is becoming more heroic and strong by episode. And the actor (Mark Addy) who plays him is terrific!
05:03 PM Liked: 238
post #15 of 17
Today | Posts: 1,761
I watched it again last night. In fact I've watched every episode so far. This show is a classic case of me getting hooked on watching a series. And not having a clue why!
But I do see Medusa returns next week. So the sparks might at least begin to fly down an alternative storyline.
05:57 PM Liked: 183
post #16 of 17
Today | Posts: 888
This season has an added edge that last season did not have and I think it is better for it. And this is coming from someone who loved season one.

Unfortunately the show is now on hiatus and I don't know if it is returning in the Spring or Fall.
10:02 PM Liked: 54
post #17 of 17
Today | Posts: 1,867
The preview was very interesting. I look forward to it returning. Jason kissing his sister?
Gear in this thread - America-8:00 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply HDTV Programming

Subscribe to this Thread