Old 12-03-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 122
"Peter Pan" LIVE on NBC, Thurs Dec 4 2014 at 8PM

Thursday night Dec 4 2014, 8PM on NBC.

I'm actually interested in seeing Christopher Walken walk, talk, dance and sing in this. He's an experienced hoofer from way back in his young childhood.

And I do like Allison Williams, and she really can sing. We shall see what we shall see.

Same producers as with last year's "Sound of Music".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Thursday night Dec 4 2014, 8PM on NBC.

I'm actually interested in seeing Christopher Walken walk, talk, dance and sing in this. He's an experienced hoofer from way back in his young childhood.

In last week's "The Making of Peter Pan LIVE" it mentioned that this will be the most dancing Captain Hook in history!

I have my DVR programmed for tomorrow night! (I will be gone for part of the show.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (110Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I've also setup it up to record but I have trepidation about anything Peter Pan after (IMO) the awful Once Upon a Time in Neverland where Peter Pan was quite nasty and it kept going on and on and on......I really feel as if I've had a lifetime of Peter Pan after that show.
I liked last years Carrie Underwood rendition of SOM so I really feel as if I should give PP one more chance, at least in this setting.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 573
As some of you may recall, I never met a musical I didn't like, so consider the source when considering what follows.

I have hope for Peter Pan Live. As another poster has already noted, Christopher Walken started his career as a Broadway chorus boy.

Allison Williams is a beautiful girl. Her singing voice isn't strong but she is very musical, has good taste,and is a decent actress.

In short, the show has promise. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I hope he doesn't play it too straight, I want to hear every line and see all his dance moves insanely Walken-ized.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
I hope he doesn't play it too straight, I want to hear every line and see all his dance moves insanely Walken-ized.

I don't think he can play it any other way than Walkenized.

"I gotta have more Tinker-Bell!"
Djoel likes this.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I'm seeing a lot of tweets from people who plan to 'hate watch' it. I don't get that. I hope its good.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No one is commenting live? Is anyone watching?
Old 12-04-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My DVR is watching. It really enjoys the thrill of live television.
Mark12547 likes this.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Choreography is very good. Flying is well done.
Steadicam has breakup/compression artifacts in the bottom half of the frame.
Dialogue has no dynamics. It sounds almost like it's dubbed in, but obviously it isn't.
faceoff and Mark12547 like this.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I think the opening song with mom and the kids was lip synced.
I like it. The Mary Martin original was a big part of my childhood.
FOPA likes this.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase View Post
No one is commenting live? Is anyone watching?
We are, out here on the West Coast. Peter just flew in. As someone else mentioned, I too are a sucker for musicals so we'll see how this "pans" out
Old 12-04-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I enjoyed it. Caught a couple of boo boo's but nothing too bad.

About the only thing I didn't like about it was the girl playing Peter Pan had this grin on her face the entire time... she couldn't stop fighting even in the scenes where she was fighting or injured.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
Old 12-04-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Somebody correct me but wasn't SOM presented more "live"? IOW, no commercials. This Walmart crap just ruins the live presentation for me. Certainly Walmart has enough money to pay for at least an hour of uninterrupted programming.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 476
The Sound of Music Live! had a total of 13 acts over the course of three hours, which is anything but commercial free in my book.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Sound of Music Live! had a total of 13 acts over the course of three hours, which is anything but commercial free in my book.
Ok. Good point. I guess I don't remember how many commercials there were with SOM (or maybe I just detest anything that has to do with Walmart). I had to switch channels because it just wasn't doing it for me. Walken was definitely out of his element here and I really wanted him to shine. It was almost as if he was reading his lines from cue cards. Very wooden, even for him.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I was taken out of the show in the first scene because the audio was grotesquely out of sync. I fast forwarded a few minutes and that problem cleared up. Was also bothered on occasion by a strong background hum. Thought Allison Williams was adequate but not much more. Haven't been impressed by Christopher Walken's Captain Hook so far, but will withhold judgment for the moment based on Walken's stellar track record. Haven't finished watching it yet but based on what I have seen thus far, I am underwhelmed.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 111
^^ I watched OTA on my local NBC affiliate and the sound sync looked really fine to me. And no background hum.

PP isn't my favorite play, but I enjoyed it. I would have liked to have seen someone other than Walken as Hook. Maybe someone younger than 70? Other than him I thought all the performances were very strong and the whole production was top-notch. Congratulations to the whole production team for pulling it off.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I really enjoyed it myself, I like Mr Walken in as well I was pleasantly surprised that the woman playing Pan was not English, i thought it was a great accent! She reminds me of Keira Knightley , also learned she's the daughter of Brian Williams ..

Djoel
Old 12-05-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I was taken out of the show in the first scene because the audio was grotesquely out of sync. I fast forwarded a few minutes and that problem cleared up.
I was recording the show and when I checked the first 10 minutes, the sync problem stood out immediately. It was not good through the TV's internal speakers and downright terrible through my AV receiver. Glad to know that it did finally resolve but whether I actually end up watching the whole thing remains to be seen. From the promo clips Christopher Walken struck me as a questionable choice to play Hook and the reviews of his performance are generally not positive. Allison Williams fared better but the best comments, as expected, were for the great Kellie O'Hara and Christian Borle, Broadway royalty both.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Not great ,but I still enjoyed it. Hopefully these kind of shows will continue. Watched ota and thought the pq was not very good.Detailed and sharp,it was not.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I also grew up on this one in my childhood. Sorry, but Walken was awful and that is the key to this corny musical. Cyril Richard was iconic in this role and made the whole thing work. They needed an actor of his talents to pull this off. IMO Walken was a very poor choice.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
the best comments, as expected, were for the great Kellie O'Hara and Christian Borle, Broadway royalty both.
Yep, there is simply no substitute for top of the line Broadway musical theater talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post
I also grew up on this one in my childhood. Sorry, but Walken was awful and that is the key to this corny musical. Cyril Richard was iconic in this role and made the whole thing work. They needed an actor of his talents to pull this off. IMO Walken was a very poor choice.
I agree that Cyril Ritchard's iconic performances as Captain Hook represent the gold standard for the role. I thought the problem with Walken's performance of the role was that he was badly miscast, not that he lacked talent.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Besides the mom, all the other main actors seemed uncomfortable and not confident in their performances. Peter Pan and Hook should have been really outrageous. Peter is a boy that can fly and won't grow up, but Williams' interpretation was too subdued. Walken sleep walked through the whole show and it looked like he was reading from the teleprompter most of the times when he wasn't singing and he just shuffled through the dance numbers. Holding the note through the commercials was pretty funny.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In addition to Kelli O'Hara's performance as the mother, Mrs. Darling, I thought that Christian Borle, as Mr. Darling, was good too but woefully underused. He had to double as the nearly anonymous Mr. Smee. It occurred to me that the show could have been much better if Borle had doubled the roles of Mr. Darling and Captain Hook, as Cyril Richard did in the 1954 Broadway production. I think Borle, who is a funny guy and can really sing, could have knocked the Captain Hook role out of the park. Unfortunately, Christopher Walken's performance simply didn't work for me.

Speaking of Kelli O'Hara, she was sensational as Julie Jordan in the 2013 concert production of Carousel, which was shown on TV on Live From Lincoln Center with the New York Philharmonic. That production was Broadway musical theater presented right, whereas Peter Pan Live!, to put it charitably, was not.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I was taken out of the show in the first scene because the audio was grotesquely out of sync. I fast forwarded a few minutes and that problem cleared up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
I was recording the show and when I checked the first 10 minutes, the sync problem stood out immediately. It was not good through the TV's internal speakers and downright terrible through my AV receiver.
I thought it was odd that I like some of the old Japanese movies where voices are dubbed and it didn't bother me, but the sound being out of sync in Peter Pan LIVE! bothered me. In my case, it is straight from the DVR to TV via HDMI, no AVR at all in the loop. Fortunately, it cleared up in about 10 minutes.

I also noticed some shots where part of the bottom of the picture and in a couple cases other parts of the screen broke up.

Overall, I thought Peter Pan LIVE! was good, and I am glad I watched it, but not great. Maybe I just have too fond memories of the 1953 Disney animated classic, which I most recently watched 20 months ago (April 24, 2013).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (110Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Somebody correct me but wasn't SOM presented more "live"? IOW, no commercials. This Walmart crap just ruins the live presentation for me. Certainly Walmart has enough money to pay for at least an hour of uninterrupted programming.
It had 48 minutes of commercials across the 3 hours by my tally.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd personally have liked to have seen someone besides Walken as Hook.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiksd View Post
I'd personally have liked to have seen someone besides Walken as Hook.
As Brother gwsat noted, they would have been better off having Christian Borle play Hook. He won a Tony for his pre-Hook character in Peter and the Star Catcher several years ago. He would have been brilliant in a role the demands absolute brilliance.

Last edited by Cal1981; 12-05-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
It had 48 minutes of commercials across the 3 hours by my tally.
Total w/o commercials was 2h11m32s.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."