AVS Forum banner

2014 NFL Playoffs thread

32K views 2K replies 90 participants last post by  bmcn 
#1 · (Edited)
Wild Card Schedule:
AZ @ CAR: Saturday (1/3) 4:35 ET/2:35 MT, ESPN/KSAW-Phoenix/WJZY-Charlotte, Mike Tirico/Jon Gruden//Lisa Salters
BAL @ PIT: Saturday (1/3) 8:15 ET, NBC, Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth//Michelle Tafoya
CIN @ IND: Sunday (1/4) 1:05 ET, CBS, Jim Nantz/Phil Simms//Tracy Wolfson
DET @ DAL: Sunday (1/4) 4:40 ET/3:40 CT, FOX, Joe Buck/Troy Aikman//Erin Andrews//Chris Myers

Divisional Schedule:
BAL @ NE: Saturday (1/10) 4:35 ET, NBC, Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth//Michelle Tafoya
CAR @ SEA: Saturday (1/10) 8:15 ET/5:15 PT, FOX, Kevin Burkhardt/John Lynch//Pam Oliver
DAL @ GB: Sunday (1/11) 1:05 ET/12:05 CT, FOX, Joe Buck/Troy Aikman//Erin Andrews//Chris Myers
IND @ DEN: Sunday (1/11) 4:40 ET/2:40 MT, CBS, Jim Nantz/Phil Simms//Tracy Wolfson

Conference Championship Schedule (1/18):
NFC Championship: GB @ SEA: 3:05 ET/2:05 CT/12:05 PT, FOX, Joe Buck/Troy Aikman//Erin Andrews//Chris Myers
AFC Championship: IND @ NE: 6:40 ET, CBS, Jim Nantz/Phil Simms//Tracy Wolfson

Super Bowl XLIX (2/1):
NE vs. SEA: 6:30 ET/4:30 MT/3:40 PT, NBC, Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth//Michelle Tafoya//TBD

See less See more
#2 ·
There's a nice article about SNF Mixer in this weekend's WSJ. :cool:

“Sunday Night Football,” whose crew will air a playoff game Saturday and the Super Bowl in February, has all the traditional trappings of an NFL broadcast: active graphics, a martial theme song and a glitzy opening number. But producers of the show also cater to a hipper demographic with subtle pop- and indie-music references that spice up the transitions to commercial breaks.

Much of the music played during those “bumpers”—as the 10- to 15-second segues are known in the broadcasting industry—is carefully chosen, even if the connection to the game isn’t immediately obvious. The snippets are nearly always from the instrumental portions of the songs—no lyrics—which can make it more challenging to identify the artist and the title of the tune.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/quickest-plays-in-pro-football-may-come-from-the-dj-1420239630

Google "wsj wendel nfl dj" and click the first search result if you are blocked by the WSJ paywall.

#3 ·
There's a nice article about SNF Mixer in this weekend's WSJ. :cool:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/quickest-plays-in-pro-football-may-come-from-the-dj-1420239630

Google "wsj wendel nfl dj" and click the first search result if you are blocked by the WSJ paywall.
Good read, thanks!

I remember when Wendell used to post in these threads, of course there used to be a lot more people posting in this threads. This site has become somewhat of a ghost town compared to several years ago.

Since this is a more appropriate thread(I posted the below in the ESPN college bowl thread earlier), does anyone know why ESPN does this? Why they purposely have an under-scanned image above the ticker/banner at the lower edge of the screen? What is the point? At the very same time that image was captured there was a basketball game on ESPN2 that filled the screen properly edge to edge so there is a conscious effort on ESPN's part to size the image as they have. I'm curious as to why.

#9 ·
While I'm not too fond of white background where the quarter, game clock, down & distance (IMHO it should be black background with white numbers) I'm stoked NBC finally got rid of the tint at the bottom of the screen.

#16 ·
Thank God the SuperBowl is not on FOX! The Cowboys Lions game just looked terrible yesterday. And two weeks ago at AT&T Stadium (same venue) CBS did the Cowboys and Colts game and it looked sooooooo much better. I really wish Fox would finally step up their game with NFL broadcasting. After all it is 2015 now! :eek:

#342 ·
What I can't stand about FOX is the complete and utter disregard to BASS! their broadcasts are so flat, it's ridiculous!

For me, CBS is #1 , much more bass in the soundtrack from the field, and their on-screen presentation also has tons of bass, so much more fun to watch! And I set the sub trim to +6 or +8, still nothing comes out of FOX.

NBC is pretty much in the middle between CBS and FOX.

ESPN is also flat.

#17 ·
^ +1
Doesn't anyone at FOX (like a quality control department?) look at the broadcast?
The crowd shots near the end where they were all waving the white hankies in the air was particularly poor.

#19 ·
I am not in any way claiming their coverage is poor. Just their image quality. And if for a second they are going to claim 720p is better which is why they do it I will laugh them to the bank. They only do it because they have cheaper cameras. I showed my guests both games and they all were saying Fox looks dated in comparison. Not even close.

#20 · (Edited)
Just kidding about some of last night's 'content'. I recently acquired a large Sammy plasma and now find most sports unwatchable on fox and other nets for the same reasons you and others describe. The tv is so revealing, source flaws are too obvious to bear. Someone had a spot on comment re: usefulness of 4k. Or perhaps fox's milking their old equipment until 4k becomes more mainstream (cheaper.)

#25 ·
Pretty sure that the picture quality issues that plague Fox stem from the fact that that the Fox HD splicer system limits the HD feed to either 12 or 13mbps compared to CBS which has a few more megs.

#26 ·
Yes, I believe it's that splicer system and probably something with their backhaul. IIRC, ESPN changed their backhaul to MPEG4 a couple-three years ago and their PQ dramatically improved. I used to be a harsh critic of ESPN but really have no complaints about MNF since they made the switch. So, 720p can look good provided all the back-end parts are in place. Fox is now seriously lagging in the PQ dept.

#40 ·
My goodness this as horrid an example of PQ I have seen in years. The Patriots game looked great on my 80". Fox is 480p quality, BAD 480p. Nasty. We cannot get NFL games in good 720p HD and people think 4K is around the broadcast corner. Sheeesh!

#43 ·
IT isn't due to 720p. ESPN is 720p and it looks fine. The issues are with the local FOX stations and their respective delivery systems.

#47 ·
I'm not getting picture breakup, but there's tons of artifacts on the high wide shots. Little rings of compression artifacts around all the players. The overhead cable cam looks like crap. Colors look good compared to the Fox game last night.

Watching WFTX Ft Myers via Comcast on a 42" 720p plasma.

#50 ·
NBC in Northern California has the worse pic quality

NBC in the Chico Redding area has horrible picture here, both fox, cbs and espn have better picture. I've watched nbc on both over the air and on Dish network both have the same Pixelated look when there is any movement on the field. But I guess there are different picture qualities all over the country

#51 · (Edited)
NBC in the Chico Redding area has horrible picture here, both fox, cbs and espn have better picture. I've watched nbc on both over the air and on Dish network both have the same Pixelated look when there is any movement on the field. But I guess there are different picture qualities all over the country
My fox and nbc feeds are both delivered ota with ~90 signal strength. No comparison yesterday between the pq of the nbc patriots vs. fox seahawks games. Someone mentioned the backhaul is a factor.

#53 ·
This CBS broadcast of Denver versus Indianapolis does not look good at all. Looks very blurry to me. No sharpness. D* WCBS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.