'Aquarius' on NBC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1 of 99 Old 02-01-2015, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 3448
'Aquarius' on NBC

Was hoping for an X-Files return. But I'm a Duchovny fan and will check this out.


DAVID DUCHOVNY STARS AS
LAPD SERGEANT SAM
HODIAK


It's Los Angeles, 1967, and Sergeant Hodiak is on the trail of a missing
teenager... who's gotten mixed up in the wrong kind of summer of love.

http://www.nbc.com/aquarius



Young C likes this.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 99 Old 02-01-2015, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 12,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Charles Manson - The Early Days

I'll pass. I'd rather have a fictional antagonist than a trip down that crazy lane.
Young C likes this.


VisionOn is online now  
post #3 of 99 Old 02-02-2015, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Charles Manson - The Early Days

I'll pass. I'd rather have a fictional antagonist than a trip down that crazy lane.
But it has Hank Moody.


Young C likes this.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #4 of 99 Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I'll check it out for Duchovny. The storyline might not fit with me though.

+1 for Hank Moody
Young C is online now  
post #5 of 99 Old 02-02-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 12,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
But it has Hank Moody.


Now Hank Moody shadowing a detective for his new novel, I would be all in for!


VisionOn is online now  
post #6 of 99 Old 03-06-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Series premier starts on Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 9:00 PM CST
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...chedule-779822

A poster.
Young C is online now  
post #7 of 99 Old 04-26-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 160
My mom is now all about this show. She cannot wait.

May 28th is almost a month away!
Young C is online now  
post #8 of 99 Old 05-20-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I'm hosting my brother's bachelor party next Thursday. I'll be out on the town drinking
Will catch it via the DVR.
Young C is online now  
post #9 of 99 Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
I'm hosting my brother's bachelor party next Thursday. I'll be out on the town drinking
Will catch it via the DVR.
With chicks and guns and fire trucks and hookers and drugs and booze...


Young C likes this.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #10 of 99 Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 19,343
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
But it has Hank Moody.
Duchovny will have to work hard to erase Moody from memory. To say he was slumming on that execrable show is an insult to real slums.

I heard him on 'Real Time' recently talking about 'Californication', and even he's embarrassed by it now. It's always refreshing to hear an actor admit that a show or movie he worked on was awful. Cuts through the usual PR BS.
Young C likes this.
archiguy is offline  
post #11 of 99 Old 05-21-2015, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Duchovny will have to work hard to erase Moody from memory. To say he was slumming on that execrable show is an insult to real slums.

I heard him on 'Real Time' recently talking about 'Californication', and even he's embarrassed by it now. It's always refreshing to hear an actor admit that a show or movie he worked on was awful. Cuts through the usual PR BS.
Nah, he's just saying that to appease NBCs PR people. Hank was great and Runkle is the shizzle.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #12 of 99 Old 05-22-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 11,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
I think it's interesting that NBC's Aquarius is apparently taking a page from the Netflix playbook and releasing the whole shebang at once .. On Demand / Web .. of course, I'm sure the ability to FF thru commercials will be disabled .. and in a way, if so, this could be a way to get folks to actually watch commercials again ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #13 of 99 Old 05-22-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I think it's interesting that NBC's Aquarius is apparently taking a page from the Netflix playbook and releasing the whole shebang at once .. On Demand / Web .. of course, I'm sure the ability to FF thru commercials will be disabled .. and in a way, if so, this could be a way to get folks to actually watch commercials again ..
My mom used to have a DVR and couldn't stand watching commercials. Now that she's a "cord-cutter" she enjoys commercials. Weird!
Young C is online now  
post #14 of 99 Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 19,343
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
My mom used to have a DVR and couldn't stand watching commercials. Now that she's a "cord-cutter" she enjoys commercials. Weird!
Sounds like a network executive's dream.
Young C and Machuran like this.
archiguy is offline  
post #15 of 99 Old 05-22-2015, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 3448
That really frosts my cake when they disable FF on demand. I'll do it the old fashioned way and DVR one episode at a time.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #16 of 99 Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
That really frosts my cake when they disable FF on demand.
Ditto.

Tonight!
Young C is online now  
post #17 of 99 Old 05-28-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 263
So far on my Comcast X1 I am able to FF on all the On Demand I've watched. Fingers crossed that it doesn't change.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #18 of 99 Old 05-28-2015, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 3448
I have the X1 and any on demand show I've watched on Syfy, Fox, ABC, etc has FF disabled. Maybe they're just out to get me.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #19 of 99 Old 05-28-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 2,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I'm a Duchovny fan, so I'll be checking it out tonight.
Young C likes this.

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
Nayan is online now  
post #20 of 99 Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
With chicks and guns and fire trucks and hookers and drugs and booze...

Back!

It was a grand time! My brother's friends from the past 20 years hanging out with us. We got drunk, while somebody else was driving. Designer beer is expensive!! My brother had a blast though. Whiskey barrel aged sour beer

"Somebody" might have bought a $120/single beer. It is wedding time of course. Cheers!!
Nayan likes this.
Young C is online now  
post #21 of 99 Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
Series premier starts on Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 9:00 PM CST
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...chedule-779822

A poster.
Summer of love my but, just ask any of the guys that were in the nam from 65 to 70, Manson did not have a chance of blowing the so-called peace.
I remember reading of the murders the summer of 69 just off the Cambodian border. One of the men that was killed was a barber that I had meet at a hair show, I was a barber then too. I remember reading in the old L.A. free press that to pay for the Manson trials was to have William Calley and his men to a reenactment of the My Lai massacre in the L.A. Coliseum at 10 bucks a head. The Calley court marshal was going on at Fort Benning Georgia at the same time and both were big stories of the time. I just hate this junk, giving that MF credit for anything.
Young C likes this.
Phil17108 is offline  
post #22 of 99 Old 05-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
film113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Haven't watched yet, but from what I've seen, the actor doesn't look like or seem like Manson in the slightest. Big red flag for me if they can't even get that right!
film113 is offline  
post #23 of 99 Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Member
 
Aspen0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
Haven't watched yet, but from what I've seen, the actor doesn't look like or seem like Manson in the slightest. Big red flag for me if they can't even get that right!
Agree, not going to be watching this one.
Aspen0220 is online now  
post #24 of 99 Old 05-29-2015, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
Back!

It was a grand time! My brother's friends from the past 20 years hanging out with us. We got drunk, while somebody else was driving. Designer beer is expensive!! My brother had a blast though. Whiskey barrel aged sour beer

"Somebody" might have bought a $120/single beer. It is wedding time of course. Cheers!!
Sounds like a great time, YC. So how was that $120 single bottle of beer? Did it come with a foot massage?

As for the tv show. I DVR'd it, but haven't watched it yet.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #25 of 99 Old 05-29-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 2,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I wasn't impressed and bailed after an hour.

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
Nayan is online now  
post #26 of 99 Old 05-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I wasn't impressed and bailed after an hour.
I don't hate it, but I can see why it's all being put online.
Nayan likes this.
Machuran is offline  
post #27 of 99 Old 05-29-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Maybe NBC is trying to be proactive for once. "We're going to cancel this and put the remaining episodes online anyway, so we might as well just get it over with now. "
Nayan and Machuran like this.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #28 of 99 Old 05-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Maybe NBC is trying to be proactive for once. "We're going to cancel this and put the remaining episodes online anyway, so we might as well just get it over with now. "
Probably, that's what I thought when they first announced this beforehand.
Machuran is offline  
post #29 of 99 Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 11,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
I'd have thought that after a 2 hour premier, there might be more thoughts on the thread .. I really did not like the "look" of the show .. I know the camera people are trying to give it some kind of retro feel, but it's still Cali .. too dark / murky / colorless ..


As a guy that lived thru the era, I really liked the soundtrack .. Gethin Anthony (Renly Baratheon in Game of Thrones) as Manson seems to have some psycho vibe from what I saw .. a good thing if you're playing Charlie .. Duchovny, IMO, seemed a bit Dragnet / Joe Friday ..


It had just enough something something to get me to give another episode or two a try, just to see what happens .. it's Summer, after all ..
Keenan likes this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #30 of 99 Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 29,548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'd have thought that after a 2 hour premier, there might be more thoughts on the thread .. I really did not like the "look" of the show .. I know the camera people are trying to give it some kind of retro feel, but it's still Cali .. too dark / murky / colorless ..


As a guy that lived thru the era, I really liked the soundtrack .. Gethin Anthony (Renly Baratheon in Game of Thrones) as Manson seems to have some psycho vibe from what I saw .. a good thing if you're playing Charlie .. Duchovny, IMO, seemed a bit Dragnet / Joe Friday ..


It had just enough something something to get me to give another episode or two a try, just to see what happens .. it's Summer, after all ..
Having lived in LA during the time period it happened, I still remember it very distinctly, the show is holding some interest for me and I'll watch a few more to see if it at least maintains its current level of "something something".
mgkdragn likes this.
Keenan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off