Fresh off the boat - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-2015, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Fresh off the boat

I didn't find a thread about this show so here goes. I am getting some chuckles, especially from Constance Wu. Her pimp walk this week and her employee talk last week has been replayed a few times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 59
We are watching this show in our house. I think it is slowly getting better and it has very good potential. Hoping that it improves the way "The Goldberg's" has..
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 289
You know, as a guy who's family is 2/3 Asian immigrants, and who has produced plays for America's biggest Asian-American theater organization, I wanted to see more Asian families on network TV. But the name of the show is so derogatory and patently offensive to many Asian immigrants that nobody in my family wants to watch it. It's basically like they had a show called 'wop', 'towel heads', or 'wetbacks'.

Yes, I get it. It's named after a book. So what. They could have kept the theme without the offensive name (like Margaret Cho's 1994 series All-American Girl) What's next? A show called 'Bananas' about Asians who are yellow on the outside, white on the inside?

Phu-leeze. I wish it success so maybe it gives more opportunities for Asian actors and actresses. But boy, that title is hard to get past.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 722
I haven't watched for a few reasons. Firstly, the dry-humor of the leads isn't funny to myself. Secondly, the title is misleading.

The title typically refers to a first-gen immigrant new to the USA with little to no English spoken (for that matter, it could be referring to Africans, Asians, Europeans, etc). But it's usually directed at Asians for some reason.

So the family depicted could not be "fresh off the boat", because they are already immersed in American culture. I have an Asian friend who introduced me to the word FOBbish. The term doesn't bother her, but her sister detests it.

Anyways, the show would be worse than it is if the characters actually spoke in broken English. Having said all that, more diversity is sorely needed on American TV, because this is a weak offering.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
You know, as a guy who's family is 2/3 Asian immigrants, and who has produced plays for America's biggest Asian-American theater organization, I wanted to see more Asian families on network TV. But the name of the show is so derogatory and patently offensive to many Asian immigrants that nobody in my family wants to watch it. It's basically like they had a show called 'wop', 'towel heads', or 'wetbacks'.

Yes, I get it. It's named after a book. So what. They could have kept the theme without the offensive name (like Margaret Cho's 1994 series All-American Girl) What's next? A show called 'Bananas' about Asians who are yellow on the outside, white on the inside?

Phu-leeze. I wish it success so maybe it gives more opportunities for Asian actors and actresses. But boy, that title is hard to get past.
I did come off a boat so I'm not offended. I don't know if it's good marketing, but that's a different issue.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I was also a bit taken back by the title but tried a couple episodes anyway and found it too stereotypical. My teen daughter gave it a slight pass so I attempted to setup a Season Pass for her, unfortunately(for her anyway) I already had 2 things scheduled on my 2 tuner DVR Oh well, I guess if she's interested she can catch it in repeats if it actually makes it that far....
post #7 of 9 Old 10-08-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I am not big on ethic programing, but watched the last 2 FOB and the stingy wife gag is hilarious because is true! I know people who order a coke WITHOUT ICE, no matter how hot is outside because it's a bad deal to pay for half-coke/half-water, I was explained.

Once I took some overseas tourists to the Grand Canyon, New York blah-blah and honestly the happiest time they had when they were taken to the Outlet Stores!

Someone says, if you see a bunch of Asians queuing up outside a store, there is a good deal going in there! Totally stereotypical I know.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-08-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb
I know people who order a coke WITHOUT ICE, no matter how hot is outside because it's a bad deal to pay for half-coke/half-water, I was explained.
No. Because it's a bad deal to get a cup 3/4 full with ice. At least that's my reasoning.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-09-2015, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Our family watches this show and we all had several LOL moments in this week's episode about Huang's buying a "new" Honda Accord. Jessica wearing down the the car salesmen and turning the table on them was hilarious. Shaq did a good job as well. Probably one of their best episodes, if not the best so far.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page