The Life and Death of Robert Durst - HBO - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 02-26-2015, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The Life and Death of Robert Durst - HBO

It sucked me in. It's a pretty well done show, with good production value for the genre. I like the interview format with him, he is a really, really weird guy, that's for sure. And then the big question, for each of the 3 murders, whodunnit?
Young C likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I first became involved in this Durst stuff when I saw "All Good Things" on Netflix. I mean, I had read about him in the papers as the events unfolded, but didn't realize how remarkably intriguing the story was. So I was interested to see if this series covered new ground.

As I once heard someone say: "There are so many fascinating true stories, I wonder why people who write screenplays spend most of their time making things up".
lovinthehd likes this.

Last edited by nlk10010; 02-28-2015 at 09:16 AM.
post #3 of 33 Old 02-28-2015, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
I first became involved in this Durst stuff when I saw "All Good Things" on Netflix. I mean, I had read about him in the papers as the events unfolded, but didn't realize how remarkably intriguing the story was. So I was interested to see if this series covered new ground.

As I once heard someone say: "There are so many fascinating true stories, I wonder why people who write screenplays spend most of their time making things up".
Taht sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out on Netflix. It is interesting to see a high-quality HBO show produced on a real-life topic in this interesting sort of docu-drama format. They could probably find a lot of other interesting stories to tell as well.
post #4 of 33 Old 03-09-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wow, no one else is watching this?

Last night had a WTF revelation that Sarah Koenig could only dream about...
I WANT MORE likes this.

Robert Clark
post #5 of 33 Old 03-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

If you're referring to that envelope sent to Susan Berman then I'm sure Durst will say someone saw his handwriting and copied it in the "cadaver" note in order to frame him.

There's an article about it in today's NY Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2143441

As they say: "You can't make this stuff up".
post #6 of 33 Old 03-10-2015, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This show is really, really good, although it sort of took a weird turn in this week's episode. I wasn't convinced that he had anything to do with Susan Berman's death until the note came out. Now, I'm convinced that he's involved. The miniseries docu-drama format is actually quite compelling for this story. I can't wait for the last episode!
post #7 of 33 Old 03-10-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 182
The thread title is misspelled, it's actually The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, the operative word is deaths. I didn't catch it at first and assumed Durst would die at the conclusion. Deaths probably means people who might have died by his hands. Unlike many other nonfiction productions I have begrudgingly stayed away from Wikipedia so as not to spoil the tale.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
The thread title is misspelled, it's actually The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, the operative word is deaths. I didn't catch it at first and assumed Durst would die at the conclusion. Deaths probably means people who might have died by his hands. Unlike many other nonfiction productions I have begrudgingly stayed away from Wikipedia so as not to spoil the tale.
Well, there's no spoiler available, so Wikipedia away! You're right, I messed up the title, and yes, it is a reference to the deaths that he was involved with or implicated in.
post #9 of 33 Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Well, this may just be some publicity to get people to watch the last episode tonight, but it appears Durst has been arrested in New Orleans (on an "extradition warrant"). This is from today's NY Post http://nypost.com/2015/03/15/real-estate-heir-robert-durst-arrested-in-new-orleans/.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-15-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 618
The timing of this makes it appear that a cop somewhere just got HBO and realized that Durst is still out there and there are a couple of unsolved crimes too.

Ratings don't matter for the final episode. It's not like Durst is just waiting for a greenlight to (not) kill anyone else until a second season is announced.

post #11 of 33 Old 03-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
The timing of this makes it appear that a cop somewhere just got HBO and realized that Durst is still out there and there are a couple of unsolved crimes too.

Ratings don't matter for the final episode. It's not like Durst is just waiting for a greenlight to (not) kill anyone else until a second season is announced.
"OK, Bob, just hold off until the overnights are in, will 'ya?".

I was watching "Foxcatcher" last night and, while the movie did take liberties with the facts, it's another fascinating tale of tremendous wealth gone awry, to put it mildly. Of course DuPont was one of the few people who could have bought and sold Durst several times over; otherwise, the tales are similar (granted, there's no question DuPont fired the shots but his motives are still complex and murky). The two protagonists even bear some resemblance to each other.

I guess it's too late to interview DuPont, though, eh? (HBO executive: "Drat!").

Last edited by nlk10010; 03-15-2015 at 11:16 AM.
post #12 of 33 Old 03-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I don't think the timing is because the moon is in the 7th house. The LAPD probably had enough to arrest him just beforehand and coincidentally used the HBO show as an opportunity for publicity. May no cold case stay frozen... kind of thing. In light of several recent high profile cases where DNA reversed long prison sentences, some 'good press' for police is not without warrant.

The documentary certainly raised, at least for me, questions about his involvement and innocence. Why did Durst want to tell the story? Conscience or ego?

Season Two would be the Berman L.A. trial. It doesn't look like Kate will be found anytime soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/15/us/rob...d-new-orleans/

So actually, the case was opened only a week ago and Durst was arrested because police thought he was about to flee the country and was living under a false ID.

Arvy

Last edited by Arvy; 03-15-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: News flash
post #13 of 33 Old 03-15-2015, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tonight's episode look pretty darn amazing!
post #14 of 33 Old 03-15-2015, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
well, this may just be some publicity to get people to watch the last episode tonight, but it appears durst has been arrested in new orleans (on an "extradition warrant"). This is from today's ny post http://nypost.com/2015/03/15/real-estate-heir-robert-durst-arrested-in-new-orleans/.
Quote:
in 2014, durst was arrested for urinating on a drug-store candy display near his home in southwest houston, kprc reports.
wtf?

Last edited by BiggAW; 03-15-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Formatting issues.
post #15 of 33 Old 03-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
wtf?
Hey, look, after skipping bail in Houston he was nailed in Pennsylvania only because he insisted on shoplifting, I believe, a $6 sandwich. Let me repeat: Robert Durst on the run chooses to shoplift a $6 sandwich.

So when you think about it, this "urinating" thingie isn't so weird after all.
post #16 of 33 Old 03-15-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Art imitating life.
post #17 of 33 Old 03-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Art imitating life.
Yes, the documentary tonight concluded exactly what the L.A. Sheriff's warrant did yesterday.

Arvy
post #18 of 33 Old 03-16-2015, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
When he went to the bathroom the last minutes of the show, his mike was live & the conversation he had with himself tells much. Think the guy has a split personality & basically admitted to killing all 3 of em!

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4, Dish Network 722k, Iogear WiFi Hub
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
post #19 of 33 Old 03-16-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Well, this may just be some publicity to get people to watch the last episode tonight, but it appears Durst has been arrested in New Orleans (on an "extradition warrant"). This is from today's NY Post http://nypost.com/2015/03/15/real-estate-heir-robert-durst-arrested-in-new-orleans/.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post
When he went to the bathroom the last minutes of the show, his mike was live & the conversation he had with himself tells much. Think the guy has a split personality & basically admitted to killing all 3 of em!
Wild.
post #20 of 33 Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post
Well, you see, to me, the "I killed all three of them" comment was the least incriminating. Taken independently of everything else we know about Durst, I could easily see someone saying that sarcastically; e.g. "yea, I guess you're telling people I killed all of 'em". The real WTF moment (again, IMO) was the letter from last week, coupled with the first quote I heard from the bathroom last night: "They caught me" (paraphrasing, I don't recall the exact words). Plus there supposedly were unaired scenes provided to the LAPD containing what might be additional evidence.
post #21 of 33 Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey, look, after skipping bail in Houston he was nailed in Pennsylvania only because he insisted on shoplifting, I believe, a $6 sandwich. Let me repeat: Robert Durst on the run chooses to shoplift a $6 sandwich.

So when you think about it, this "urinating" thingie isn't so weird after all.
That's true, you do have a point there. The guy is only a gazillionaire, and he stole a $6 sandwich. Or hoagie, or whatever they call things down there in Philly.

Quote:
Well, you see, to me, the "I killed all three of them" comment was the least incriminating. Taken independently of everything else we know about Durst, I could easily see someone saying that sarcastically; e.g. "yea, I guess you're telling people I killed all of 'em". The real WTF moment (again, IMO) was the letter from last week, coupled with the first quote I heard from the bathroom last night: "They caught me" (paraphrasing, I don't recall the exact words). Plus there supposedly were unaired scenes provided to the LAPD containing what might be additional evidence.
Agreed. I was thinking about how his defense would explain away that tape if it were admissible in court (although I doubt that HBO footage is admissible court evidence in the first place). But what was most telling was the color of his face, the weird burp-esque thing, and then his comment afterward in the bathroom about it. It did take some of the mystery and mystique out of it however, when he admitted to all three murders. Now that admission itself wouldn't stand up in a court of law, but he is now 100% guilty in the court of public opinion.
post #22 of 33 Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
(although I doubt that HBO footage is admissible court evidence in the first place). .
Sure it is, but the DA does have to provide witnesses stating they created it and its not altered, or that they were there, etc. The defense is free to try to cast doubt on any of that, but its still perfectly good evidence.
post #23 of 33 Old 03-16-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

What about that Galveston juror. I wanted to smack him!
post #24 of 33 Old 03-17-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
He did not say I killed all three of them.
He said "killed them all".
big difference.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #25 of 33 Old 03-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
big difference.
Well, I should have put the same parenthetical remark after that quote as I did after "they caught me", I didn't recall Durst's exact words. So thank you for correcting me; while of course as statements they are quite different, I'm not sure how much difference it makes as a quote which might be introduced as "evidence". With either statement the defense would argue doctored tapes or fanciful musings. I stand by my statement that the letter will end up being far more damaging by comparison, although even that might not be enough to convince any jury that ends up being seated in the matter.
post #26 of 33 Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Sure it is, but the DA does have to provide witnesses stating they created it and its not altered, or that they were there, etc. The defense is free to try to cast doubt on any of that, but its still perfectly good evidence.
Would it be allowed since he didn't know he was being taped at the time? I think the thing they would case doubt on, however, is not whether he said those things, but what he meant. They could argue that he was making sarcastic remarks at Jarecki, mocking the idea that Jarecki thought he killed them all.

He's guilty in my mind, and guilty in the court of public opinion, but we'll see what happens in court in LA.
post #27 of 33 Old 03-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
big difference.
When I see the video and read the full transcript his guilt becomes much more apparent than when simply reading those last two sentences. When questioned about those two envelopes with near identical handwriting, Durst admits to writing one.. and says the other could only have been written by the killer. Then when realizing what he just said, he shrugs his shoulders, glances around nervously, burps a few times and wrings his hands. Then he gets up to go use the restroom, softly saying to himself . . .

There it is

You’re caught

You’re right, of course

But, you can’t imagine

Arrest him

I don’t know what’s in the house

Oh, I want this

What a disaster

He was right

I was wrong

(then more burping)

I’m having difficulty with the question

What the hell did I do?

Killed them all, of course.

IMHO, the "he" that Durst refers to ("he was right") is his lawyer, who advised him not to be a part of that HBO production . . .

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #28 of 33 Old 03-18-2015, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
IMHO, the "he" that Durst refers to ("he was right") is his lawyer, who advised him not to be a part of that HBO production . . .
Ah, that makes more sense. I was wondering who that was referring to. Of course any lawyer with half a sense of anything would advise someone in his position not to be part of an HBO show. Nothing good could come out of it. But no, he had to go on and try and defend himself in front of a national cable TV audience.
post #29 of 33 Old 03-18-2015, 03:07 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Ah, that makes more sense. I was wondering who that was referring to. Of course any lawyer with half a sense of anything would advise someone in his position not to be part of an HBO show. Nothing good could come out of it. But no, he had to go on and try and defend himself in front of a national cable TV audience.
Again, that's just my interpretation of his words. That one I came up with immediately upon hearing it, probably because I think he's guilty.

My other interpretations {in brackets}:

There it is {the question that tripped him (Durst) up}

You’re caught {tells himself it's over}

You’re right, of course {speaking as if to his interviewer}

But, you can’t imagine {probably as to his interviewer, but I don't have a feel for the meaning}

Arrest him {what he's expecting to happen due to the envelope discovery and questions}

I don’t know what’s in the house {wondering aloud if he has incriminating evidence at his house which will be searched after his slip-up with the envelope question}

Oh, I want this {the attention and subsequent court fight?}

What a disaster {getting himself caught by being stupid, when he thought he was sooo smart}

He was right {his lawyer telling him not to get involved with HBO's documentary}

I was wrong {admits he's made one mistake in his life - the HBO documentary}

(then more burping) {because he knows the end game is approaching}

I’m having difficulty with the question {he knows he flubbed it, but trying to come up with a way to elaborate and make it better after he exits the restroom}

What the hell did I do? {knows he forked up big time}

Killed them all, of course. {speaks truthfully to himself}

JMHO

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #30 of 33 Old 03-18-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 119
He's on suicide watch. This news (HBO + real life events) is crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page