Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-04-2015, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 224
"Secerts and Lies" on ABC

This is a remake of the Australian series that I watched last year on Hulu+. I decided to watch the first episode to see how the remake does and actually was surprised it was quite good. Ryan Phillipe plays a father who on his jog through the nearby woods finds the body of a neighbor's son. A bit of brilliant casting is Juliette Lewis playing the quirky detective role which was played by a man in the Australian version. Since I know how it ends watching the US version is interesting and also to see if it ends the same way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I was looking for a thread on this program, glad you started one, even if my comments won't be too positive
Unfortunately it's a one-and-done for me, I totally detested it! My wife wanted to continue watching it or I'd have bailed after the first 1hr episode but I continued to listen as I worked on my media room PC. To me it seemed to be a classic made for TV movie or like a soap opera. We(wife and I) didn't like how things will drag out the whole season, I mean the one murder case seems setup to be the only thing they pursue, we prefer a more one and done crime drama, that or something that may span a few episodes or so. Not that everything needs to be wrapped up that quickly, the Mentalist with Red John or CSI with the Harbor serial killer stories lasted many episodes or even the whole series with Red John but that wasn't all the show dwelt on, they solved other crimes every week. I just couldn't stand the sour faced female detective, even my daughter who joined for the second half said, "does she ever smile" interestingly enough she seemed caught up in it and if it were up to her, she'd probably record more. I liked the lead in the short lived the Firm but not in this program.
I wish those who stick around with it all the best, but again it was TOTALLY not my cup of tea.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-04-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 597
I was rather unimpressed myself. I'm not sure I'll keep going.

Having said that, you might want to have a mod correct the spelling of "Secrets" in the thread title...
post #4 of 14 Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Thumbs up

I'm in.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #5 of 14 Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There's some curves in the story. It's really not like your everyday TV soap.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
There's some curves in the story. It's really not like your everyday TV soap.
"Curves" would be the best way to describe it. There weren't any sharp corners.

Very little of what they've thrown at us as "twists" has been unexpected. I'm just waiting until it turns out the wife has been fooling around, too.

I just wonder how long they can keep this going only focusing on the one guy.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-06-2015, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
"Curves" would be the best way to describe it. There weren't any sharp corners.

Very little of what they've thrown at us as "twists" has been unexpected. I'm just waiting until it turns out the wife has been fooling around, too.

I just wonder how long they can keep this going only focusing on the one guy.
It's supposed to be an anthology where it would be a new mystery each season if it does get renewed.

But yeah, the plot twist was obvious especially since the only reason is to have him constantly be the prime suspect while he does the actual investigation of the crime.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
It's supposed to be an anthology where it would be a new mystery each season if it does get renewed.

But yeah, the plot twist was obvious especially since the only reason is to have him constantly be the prime suspect while he does the actual investigation of the crime.
Even for one season (like 10 episodes, I think), that's a long stretch to have Miss Sour Marple showing up to glare at Daddy every episode.

I will say, the live-in buddy has to get the boot. He's not helping things staying there.

My guess, plot-wise, though is that some sealed record will pop up from the father's college years where he got blitzed and hurt someone in some way to cast doubt on whether he might have gotten drunk and hurt the kid without knowing it.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 03-06-2015 at 10:58 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Even for one season (like 10 episodes, I think), that's a long stretch to have Miss Sour Marple showing up to glare at Daddy every episode.
I said that it's supposed to be like that, but like you said, this won't have much longevity.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The original series had an actor playing the detective who resembled Leonardo DiCaprio. He was also annoying. It seemed to be saying how annoying the police can be sometimes.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
The original series had an actor playing the detective who resembled Leonardo DiCaprio. He was also annoying. It seemed to be saying how annoying the police can be sometimes.
I've seen it, he seemed to be less ott and less robotic than the detective here, I'm not getting her acting choice/direction and it seems to be a common complaint among other viewers as well.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-06-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It's funny.

In my home town, the cops were always very friendly. The previous mayor insisted on having walking beats in the city and encouraged the officers to stop in every store front they could to say hello and ask if there was anything they needed. During that time period, crime levels dropped which pushed arrests to record lows and pretty soon the overcrowding issues of the jails went away. Suddenly the court dockets were less crowed, as well. It was common to find officers with a crowd of kids around them, telling them about their day, showing off the latest skateboard moves they had learned, or showing off a good grade or award they earned at school.

For a while, that program was kept up by the next mayor.

Then 9-11 happen and the city got a bunch of homeland security money. The city got a bunch of new cars with computers in them, put the officers in them and re-assigned some to a new and better armed SWAT team. Since then, drug and violent crimes (included a couple of mass shootings) have skyrocketed.

Here in New England, I was stunned to find almost every officer I met over the years to be rude, lazy and downright unfriendly. Once, when I suffered some vandalism, I called the police to report it. I had video of the guy from my surveillance system, but the cop claimed he didn't want it. I told him to humor me and take it anyway. The look on his face pretty much said "great, more stuff to file in the report".

Last edited by NetworkTV; 03-18-2015 at 06:21 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old Today, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First sign of stretching the storyline from 6 episodes to 10. Episode 6's plotline wasn't even in the original.
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 02:54 PM

Quote:
First sign of stretching the storyline from 6 episodes to 10. Episode 6's plotline wasn't even in the original.
It was jarring to see it go from a murder mystery to having some 'vigilante' neighbor performing water boarding on him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming