AVS Forum banner

Supergirl on CBS, CW

87K views 2K replies 150 participants last post by  Vidop 
#1 ·
From the producers of Flash and Arrow is coming another DC show, Supergirl, and it's gonna be on CBS.

Melissa Benoist has been cast as the title character. Mehcad Brooks is Jimmy Olsen. Calista Flockhart will be Cat Grant, and Laura Benanti will Kara’s Kryptonian mother.

And what show would be complete without nostalgic cast members from previous iterations of the Superman-verse. Helen Carter (the Supergirl of the 80's movie) and Dean Cain (from Lois and Clark) will be making appearances.

At this time, it does not appear that Flash and Arrow will be crossing over with Supergirl, even though it is the same producers. Initial word put the possibility in doubt, but some recent obscure quotes from producer Greg Berlanti have fans hopeful. It's early on; maybe it'll work!

The first image of Benoist as 24 year old Kara Zor-El hit the internets this evening.

I don't know... something seems a little off to me about it. Maybe it is her hair or the tone of the suit or the long boots. I'm not sure. Her whole projection in this shot is just... plain looking.

Anyway, the pilot is is production so we'll see! The tone is to be more like Flash than Arrow. Thoughts?

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't know... something seems a little off to me about it. Maybe it is her hair or the tone of the suit or the long boots. I'm not sure. Her whole projection in this shot is just... plain looking.

Anyway, the pilot is is production so we'll see! The tone is to be more like Flash than Arrow. Thoughts?
I think she is miscast. Kryptonians should be nearly perfect physical specimens. It calls for an actress with truly supermodel looks. Smalleville hit it exactly right when they cast Laura Vandervoort as Supergirl. This dull, baby-fat-faced Benoist just doesn't cut it.

#7 · (Edited)
Interesting. On other sites, people are complaining that she looks like she's thirty. I was hoping they cast an actress that can act as well as look good.

And as for Kryptonians being perfect physical specimens, I guess every planet has to have Butterfaces. Just kidding. There's no way anyone would accuse Melissa Benoist of being one

#21 ·
I remember when the first pictures appeared for The Flash's suit and everyone was complaining then, too. Yet once the show actually started, all those comments just disappeared. I suspect it will be the same thing here.

At first glance, I would probably have made the boots stop short of the knees and gone with skin-colored tights, but otherwise I like the rest of the outfit and I think the color scheme feels in keeping with the recent Superman movie rather the more garish colors of the old 1980s Superman/Supergirl movies. Personally, I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see Supergirl in action in this outfit.

Duane

#24 ·
I remember when the first pictures appeared for The Flash's suit and everyone was complaining then, too. Yet once the show actually started, all those comments just disappeared. I suspect it will be the same thing here.
I don't remember the point of contention being the suit, but the physique of the dude inside it. That still applies, because Gustin still looks weedy if you catch him at an unflattering angle. Put the suit on a muscular guy and the suit would not look baggy. The design of it is mostly fine.

For Supergirl she fills out the costume just fine, but the costume looks outdated now and kind of boring. It's straddling a line between too-retro and impractical.

Reactions: Helson
#29 ·
I don't like the suit at all. I'm not a big fan of the suit in Man of Steel either. Why do they go with the plastic look. I like the old suit with the S on the cape. Watch this awesome vid. IMO the suit they way it should be. I love the texture on the suit also,looks very comfortable.

#32 ·
I don't like the suit at all. I'm not a big fan of the suit in Man of Steel either. Why do they go with the plastic look. I like the old suit with the S on the cape. Watch this awesome vid. IMO the suit they way it should be. I love the texture on the suit also,looks very comfortable.
Sometimes I still find it hard to let go of the 80s Superman costume. Everytime I see these dark colours I think of the evil Superman.

Though, I guess hollywood doesn't like bright colours anymore. I always saw the bright colours as the American superhero. Yeah, I know spandex isn't practical nowadays but how can anyone not love those colours.

Though, I can understand why they're revamping Supergirl. I had honestly forgotten about the film as it has been so long since I've seen it. Then seeing some snippets on Youtube… Horribly cheesy. I can't get over the guy from Die Hard was in it. Hart Brochner…

The theme is quite cheesy as well. I could have sworn it was better than this.

The Superboy TV series theme was very motivating.

#35 ·
I think the new costume is nice. Stylish in an understated way, with tastefully muted hues. Nice texture and looks warm enough for a brisk autumn evening. Or perhaps a coolish spring evening sitting in an outdoor cafe, sipping an espresso drink.

I certainly like the look much better than those awful molded plastic outfits or the ones that resemble suits of armor.

Remember, the outfit is not what counts.
What really matters is the script. And I hope that downplays the special effects and instead emphasizes deep interpersonal relationships.

#38 ·
I'm not especially optimistic that this will succeed since it's on network tv, but let's give it a chance before we condemn it. Those press photos are really bad, but maybe it'll look better in action. As someone mentioned, the couple of still photos from Flash made his costume look like a baggy mess, but in the show it works. Hopefully, the show is really not going to CSI: Krypton where she solves human crimes/problems and just uses her powers secretly to get out of jams.

#53 · (Edited)
Hopefully, the show is really not going to CSI: Krypton where she solves human crimes/problems and just uses her powers secretly to get out of jams.
Identical and bland crime procedurals are not only the CBS way but also the angle they are pitching for this show too. So expect crime-of-the-week being solved by an alien girl in nylons and a cape and probably quite a lot in just jeans and jacket.

I expect that's the reason for this throwback costume as well. Something too much of a departure from the old would be too radical and confusing to the CBS audience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.