A&E's "The Returned" - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A&E's "The Returned"

Based on the French version, this one's reviewed by Stanley in yesterday's NY Times . Apparently it's very close, scene-wise, to the original, which appeared here, with captions, on the Sundance channel (see AVS thread ). The returned-from-the--'dead' teen girl, the first of many, is assured by someone she's not a zombie...so that's satisfying. A&E also puts the next-week episode on its "On Demand" list. Watched both out of curiosity Monday after switching out of boredom from yet another bank-robbery/criminal plot on CBS's Person of Interest. Amusing twist on returned; not sure they'll ever answer the endless 'what's going on here' questions everyone asks of the clueless returned. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 03-12-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: url fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-11-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 356
We watched it, thought it was interesting enough to give it a couple more episodes.

post #3 of 36 Old 03-11-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
We watched it, thought it was interesting enough to give it a couple more episodes.
Haven't watched it yet ....
How would you compare/describe it in relation to the ABC show, & the HBO series ..?
post #4 of 36 Old 03-11-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
That's kind of where I'm at. I only watched the first episode. The storyline where the teen girl returns home out of the blue like nothing happened and her parents are totally freaked out was really interesting. Some of the other storylines, less so. The bit where the idiot fake psychic walks through the super-creepy tunnel at night was like something out of a lame slasher flick.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5 of 36 Old 03-11-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Guys, just go with the French series.
I doubt the American version will be on the same level.

I have the 1st season on BD (excellent AV).
It is fascinating drama...mysterious and very creepy (AND beautifully shot).

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #6 of 36 Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Guys, just go with the French series.
I doubt the American version will be on the same level.

I have the 1st season on BD (excellent AV).
It is fascinating drama...mysterious and very creepy (AND beautifully shot).

Notice at the tech spec page that the French TV series was shot with the Arri Alexa, often used with many nice-looking PBS Masterpiece series. Suprior bitrates on Blu-rays sure do aid fidelity compared to TV bandwidths.

Tech page for A&E's Vancouver-based production so far is bare-bones limited, but details may pop up somewhere soon. Had mixed opinions about PQ watching the two first episodes yesterday. The mountain scenes generally seem to be captured okay. Recall one shot of a necklace on an attractive woman (sitting at a window) that seemed too filtered at the camera, likely meant to minimize any potential wrinkles.

Another scene from the On Demand second episode, showing a woman's face filling half the frame, and lighted from behind, showed lots of straggling hairs. They seemed similar resolution-wise to a frame I'd measured recently from a 35mm-filmed 4k-DI Blu-ray. But the Returned hair images were ~3mm wide compared to ~2mm for the 4k-DI Blu-ray image . -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 03-12-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: url fix; spelling
post #7 of 36 Old 03-12-2015, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
Haven't watched it yet ....
How would you compare/describe it in relation to the ABC show, & the HBO series ..?
I thought it was better then both. Had more of a mystery element, especially with the reveal near the end.

The ABC show really didn't do anything about the mystery of the returned and how/why, etc. and became to much of a soap drama. The HBO show, I assume you mean the one where 1% of the population disappears?, that one isn't about the returned so it doesn't really compare, but I found this one much more interesting then the HBO show.

The way the returned act in this show is creepy and foreshadowing (possibly) of what is to come. Really creeps you out at times. There is one in particular.

post #8 of 36 Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Didn't think the French version was all that good. Very wooden acting, but the story line was good. This A&E version looked almost exactly like the French version. Like the location and homes even looked similar. Even the daughters were hauntingly similar looking.
post #9 of 36 Old 03-12-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I thought it was better then both. Had more of a mystery element, especially with the reveal near the end.

The ABC show really didn't do anything about the mystery of the returned and how/why, etc. and became to much of a soap drama. The HBO show, I assume you mean the one where 1% of the population disappears?, that one isn't about the returned so it doesn't really compare, but I found this one much more interesting then the HBO show.

The way the returned act in this show is creepy and foreshadowing (possibly) of what is to come. Really creeps you out at times. There is one in particular.
.. Ok so I watched the 1st 2 episodes ... ( 2nd On Demand) ...
It wasn't "bad", & I'll give this show a shot but here is my major criticism:
Seems like when these people returned, everybody that saw them had, what, a collective brain fart, & no one called any doctor, cop, hospital or authority ... ??
You had a mother, then a Father, "Psycologist", Cop, Doctor woman ect ..
Not one of these otherwise rational types even had the rational thought that the original mangled girl's body had to have somehow been misidentified, & she therefore was actually abducted, or lost or whatever ...
Nobody wanted to tell any authorities in the town that there was a survivor & might be more .. or at least get a DNA test in case there was a weird identity copy/switch ??
The rational Doctor woman would rather hide an unknown creepy child in her home, instead of getting him help at a hospital, child services or police??
I could understand perhaps 1 of these adults acting irrational, but all of them??

Last edited by MeatChicken; 03-12-2015 at 12:23 PM.
post #10 of 36 Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The ABC show really didn't do anything about the mystery of the returned and how/why, etc. and became to much of a soap drama.
Exactly.

I watched a lot of episodes and eventually gave up.
I was a little pi$$ed about how the showrunners took the easy way out and turned a great idea into just another TV show.

post #11 of 36 Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Notice at the tech spec page that the French TV series was shot with the Arri Alexa, often used with many nice-looking PBS Masterpiece series. Suprior bitrates on Blu-rays sure do aid fidelity compared to TV bandwidths.
Isn't pretty much every drama now shot on Alexa? Seems to be that way in Europe. (Where we probably benefit from H264 compression and direct encodes at the network centre at reasonable bitrates - though Blu-rays look nicer)

The French original series (based on a movie of the same title) was brilliant. Eery, multilayered, complex, and with a very distinctive look. Not sure I see the point in remaking it. Just as I didn't see the point in remaking The Bridge or The Killing. The originals were so good, why bother?
post #12 of 36 Old 03-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I watched the original French version and loved it. I was hesitant to watch the USA version because, in my experience, remakes of foreign shows generally fail to capture the nuances that make them so unique and good. I watched the first episode of this remake and decided not to continue. Not because it wasn't good, but because it just wasn't quite as good.

BTW, the little boy in the French version is what I consider perfect casting. He alone is worth checking out the original. Cute and creepy at the same time. He made you feel sorry for him, but lock your doors at the same time.
post #13 of 36 Old 03-12-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
Isn't pretty much every drama now shot on Alexa? Seems to be that way in Europe. (Where we probably benefit from H264 compression and direct encodes at the network centre at reasonable bitrates - though Blu-rays look nicer)

The French original series (based on a movie of the same title)
Not really. While both are about the dead returning, the movie is slow and dream-like. Its returned seemed to barely remember who they were and were more interested in something other than returning to their former lives. Exactly what that something was never seemed clear to me.

Quote:
was brilliant.
Yes, indeed!

Quote:
Eery, multilayered, complex, and with a very distinctive look. Not sure I see the point in remaking it. Just as I didn't see the point in remaking The Bridge or The Killing. The originals were so good, why bother?
Supposedly only about the first half of the remake is going to follow the plot of the French TV series, with something very different happening in the later episodes. Unfortunately, they're making the backgrounds of some of the situations blatantly obvious, while the French program was designed to keep you guessing, much like its protagonists were, and thus, for me, it was much more involving than the remake.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #14 of 36 Old 03-12-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Not really. While both are about the dead returning, the movie is slow and dream-like. Its returned seemed to barely remember who they were and were more interested in something other than returning to their former lives. Exactly what that something was never seemed clear to me.
When the French series was shown here in the UK (on a main OTA network. With subtitles. We coped.) it was reported to be inspired by the original movie.
post #15 of 36 Old 03-13-2015, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The French series is on Netflix. It is heavy on atmosphere and settings. Part of what makes it work is it is in a foreign locale and language. You are not sure if their behavior is from them being in this supernatural situation or from them being French in a small provincial town. The remake is fine but it you've seen the original it may feel like a re thread.
post #16 of 36 Old 03-13-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
The French series is on Netflix. It is heavy on atmosphere and settings. Part of what makes it work is it is in a foreign locale and language. You are not sure if their behavior is from them being in this supernatural situation or from them being French in a small provincial town.
Absolutely agree.
Very skillfully done.
In some ways, it reminds me of a David Lynch kind of thing.

It really projects the mystery and sense of dread very well.
Always seems like something very threatening is lurking just off screen.

post #17 of 36 Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Loved how they worked in the idea that twins can experience what the other is feeling. So, who when one twin was busy having sex, the twin that was just sitting there was feeling what her sister was feeling.

Not sure what getting of the bus would have accomplished. By the time she got back home, her sister would have been done.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #18 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Is the original French version subtitled or dubbed in English?
post #19 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Subtitled. I do hope this new version doesn't succumb to the American way where everything has to have an explanation or a tidy conclusion.
post #20 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^Reads like, from a search of the Sundance thread here, it was not dubbed in English. -- John

EDIT: How 'bout that, cross-posted answer from the poster I linked...or something like that.

Last edited by John Mason; 03-14-2015 at 07:20 AM.
post #21 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As I think French is such a lyrical, beautiful spoken language, and I took 3 years of it in high school, I'll have to check it out on Netflix. I used to hate subtitles but having to watch so many American shows with the CC on to clear up the actors' muffled, mumbled speech (it's ACTING! you know), I've kind of gotten used to reading and watching at the same time.
post #22 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
The French series is on Netflix. It is heavy on atmosphere and settings. Part of what makes it work is it is in a foreign locale and language. You are not sure if their behavior is from them being in this supernatural situation or from them being French in a small provincial town. The remake is fine but it you've seen the original it may feel like a re thread.
Ditto. When watching a foreign language film with subtitles, there is a bonding that takes place. You are more actively involved with the story and characters because you're stuck paying more attention to what's going on. The first episode of the original, which I watched last year, had a greater ''creepier'' factor, than this did. The mother was genuinely creeped out when the daughter came home, and didn't know if she was hallucinating or not. Plus I can't recall if they gave away the ''2 years later'' bit as the A&E did, which robbed us of an extra air of mystery.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #23 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is that still even a thing? Dubbing into English? (Other than Anime)
post #24 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As I think French is such a lyrical, beautiful spoken language, and I took 3 years of it in high school, I'll have to check it out on Netflix. I used to hate subtitles but having to watch so many American shows with the CC on to clear up the actors' muffled, mumbled speech (it's ACTING! you know), I've kind of gotten used to reading and watching at the same time.
Next you will tell us you can walk and chew gum at the same time....

post #25 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Ditto. When watching a foreign language film with subtitles, there is a bonding that takes place. You are more actively involved with the story and characters because you're stuck paying more attention to what's going on. The first episode of the original, which I watched last year, had a greater ''creepier'' factor, than this did. The mother was genuinely creeped out when the daughter came home, and didn't know if she was hallucinating or not. Plus I can't recall if they gave away the ''2 years later'' bit as the A&E did, which robbed us of an extra air of mystery.
Actually, 4 years. And, no, they did not.

The US remake includes too many spoilers.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #26 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Next you will tell us you can walk and chew gum at the same time....
Only with the exact same cadence. It's a particular skill I've developed over a very long career. A skill that makes me a nightmare for people like you. If you doubt me, I will find you, I will walk up behind you, and I will pop a bubble right in your ear!

post #27 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I will walk up behind you, and I will pop a bubble right in your ear!
That's disgusting, sir:

Spoiler!

post #28 of 36 Old 03-14-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
That's disgusting, sir:

Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray_293eb1_1339534.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	602265  
post #29 of 36 Old 03-24-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
WTF is going on with this show? Anyone know where it is headed? Who is the little boy? What is going on with the wound on the girl's back? Who is the killer, and what does it have to do with the returned? Nothing is making any sense at all.
post #30 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
WTF is going on with this show? Anyone know where it is headed? Who is the little boy? What is going on with the wound on the girl's back? Who is the killer, and what does it have to do with the returned? Nothing is making any sense at all.
They just showed the wound and it getting bigger so we will see where that heads.

From the clues they dropped, the killers appears to be the bartender's son. Because when they showed him the pictures he said this was not possible. So he knew who did it and then a few minutes later we see his dead son return and he is violent. The killer is a returned. The killings stopped when he died, and now they started back up when he returned. Seems like all the clues point to him being the killer.

The boy is still the mystery. As he was there, same age, same look, when the bus went off the bridge years ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page