AVS Forum banner

'X-Files' 6-episode event on Fox

34K views 921 replies 137 participants last post by  Al_the_xmtr_tech 
#1 ·
http://mashable.com/2015/03/24/x-files-returning-to-fox/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link

Agents Mulder and Scully are officially returning for duty again.

After announcing in January that a reboot of sorts was in the works, Fox has announced that X-Files will be back for a six-episode run, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson set to reprise their roles.

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files — one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers — and we couldn't be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again,” said Fox TV Group CEOs Gary Newman and Dana Walden in a joint statement.

X-Files ran for nine seasons on Fox from 1993 to 2002, spawned two films and earned 16 Emmys.

Show creator Chris Carter is set to helm the revival.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” Carter said. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The series is set to begin in summer 2015 with an air date to be announced at a later time.

"The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture — yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning," Walden and Newman added. "Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as The X-Files, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

The first news of a X-Files resurrection was first addressed earlier this year, when Walden and Newman admitted they were working on a possible return, as well as one for cult favorite Prison Break. (There was no news on the latter front.)

Fox most recently staged a return for Jack Bauer with 24: Live Another Day, a limited series which performed solidly in the ratings. It has not been picked up for another installment.

See less See more
#10 ·
Mulder & Scully? Well, it wouldn't really be The X-Files without them, as Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish showed us.

Does this mean they're going to pick up where the last movie left off? Or do a "reboot" with a new plotline?

Hopefully this will wash the taste of 'Californication' out of my mouth where Duchovny is concerned. Gawd, that show was awful (I bailed after the first misogynistic season). I'd say he was slumming, but that's probably too nice a word. I saw him on 'Real Time' a couple of weeks ago and it seemed he feels the same about it now.

#27 ·
Haven't seen the shows since they went off the air 13 years ago. I don't even remember the finale. Will have to refreshen the memory banks with a visit to Netflix.

Reactions: tomintn
#32 ·
The finale was a pathetic clip-show that tried to connect the various nonsensical storylines together with some desperate last minute ret-conning. I still hold it as the worst two hours of television I've ever sat through.

Reactions: videobruce
#33 ·
Yep! That's why I'm not sure. He was smoking that cigarette through a hole in his neck! Like some kind of aged clone host. The X-Files did a lot of Alien cloning kind of stuff. And I guess CC could always figure out a way to reprise another version of him that way. Or just pretend that the missiles missed. There was also sort of an underlying suspicion and insinuation in the show, that CSM was Muldur's legitimate father. Hence all of the intrigue around Mulder's Dad, Mom and CSM, that played out over several seasons. They could finally resolve that story line along with the sister (Samantha) in a lot of different ways in 6 episodes. That would be enough to hook me again.

#35 ·
I don't see the point of this to return. I was a fan at the time, but looking back now it was rather cheesy, and after the first movie it was going downhill fast, it did have potential but it remained unrealised IMO. Probably still gonna watch it just for kicks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.