AVS Forum banner

Bloodline - a NetFlix original series

5K views 85 replies 30 participants last post by  markmathers 
#1 ·
Bloodline is a NetFlix original series that went online on March 20. It is good enough that I saw all 13 episodes over a 3 day stretch.

Sissy Spacek and Sam Shepard head up a large cast of talented lesser known actors. Production standards are high, there are no unconvincing performances here. The setting is a gorgeous Florida key, and a family run hotel business. The beach, the crystal clear waters, the jungle all are beautiful.

I request that you use spoiler tags for any discussion of the plot, and a clear text warning that plot discussion is concealed therein.

Ben Mendelsohn gives a truly outstanding performance as the oldest son, the black sheep, and a dangerous man. I didn't recognize him but I was impressed by his screen presence - you sense anger and violence below the surface, and he makes you uneasy in ways that are difficult to define.

Highly recommended. It has not even been a week since it went online, but I predict there will be at least a second season.

#2 ·
The first episode was so slow I didn't feel inspired to watch further and I'm a foreign film fan and you know how slow those can go. I also looked at the reviews and people were disappointed. In fact the 5 star reviews probably written by Netflix employees. Maybe I'll try episode two but there's so much else to watch it low on the list.

#3 ·
I'd give it 4.5 stars. As an example, the two series I like better are House of Cards and Breaking Bad.

#5 ·
Since I think the Florida Keys are maybe the coolest place on earth (that I've been to, at least) I'll have to check this out. Someday. After I watch the other 236 other shows sitting on my DVR.

This isn't the "golden age" of television. This is the platinum age. Enough already! Who ever thought we might be wishing for the return of the "vast wasteland"? Maybe for a year or so. Let me catch up! :eek:

#12 ·
I thought it was slow at first as well. However, the character building is part of that. I agree, it really becomes interesting about half-way through.

#16 ·
I liked it, but honestly it could easily have been nine or ten hours instead of thirteen. Parts of it were a real chore to get through. And there are scenes that just go on FOREVER.

I noticed that with Daredevil as well. The opening scene in the confessional was tortuously long. Netflix originals seem to have a bit of bloat to them (I'm guessing because they can, since length isn't determined by time slots or commercials).

#20 ·
Whoa! Spoilers galore! Can't un-read that. May want to warn people who haven't started it yet...

Sometimes I visit these threads about interesting series concepts from "nontraditional" providers, like Netlix (and the list is growing), just to sort of take the temperature of the show and see how others are liking it. Especially before I invest the time in another long-form serialized drama (my favorite TV). Do people whose opinions I respect like this show? Is it something interesting and unique?

If I watch a series like that, I'm going to put any revealing information in spoiler tags because I realize few people watch these things in "real time" (weekly, like the old days). They're basically created for binge-viewing. That's just the nature of these non-network series nowadays.

What I will tell in open forum is whether I like it and why, and may expound on that a little just to provide that same service, but not reveal any huge plot points unless I put them in spoiler tags.

But that's just me. Others may view it differently. Caveat Emptor, I guess.

#21 ·
Well see I agree somewhat, but also I tihnk this is a gray area as this is not a show that you watch week to week. Different rules for netflix and other shows that unleash a season at a time? I would think if you are reading this thread by now you have watched some or all of the season. It's an interesting discussion. I will update my post

#22 ·
A few years ago, this show would have been on a traditional network and it would have been an automatic for me. Heck, the cast alone would have insured that.

But there's just so much good stuff now as everyone is looking to build a brand and generate repeating income streams for their service. There's just not enough hours in the day to watch everything I want to watch anymore. I have to kind of rely on threads like this to help me with the triage. I don't have the time to sample everything that pops up and looks interesting anymore. In the immortal words of Blanche DuBois, "I must rely on the kindness of others." ;)

A "first-world problem", to be sure. I know one thing: there has never been a better time to be an actor or production person in Hollywood than right now. Heck, every young attractive actor in the UK or Australia now has a chance to star in an American TV show! :p

#23 ·
I finished the series today, and had the same thought I did after watching the first episode -- I don't like ANY of the characters. I almost had to force myselft to watch the last few episodes, usually I dive in and binge watch, but Bloodlines took me well over a month to get through. Not sure I'm coming back.

#25 ·
I just finished this series and I loved it!! Very well written and acted, and not very predictable in my opinion. I also enjoyed the atmosphere it added very much to the story line. Can't wait for season 2!!

#27 ·
I was a bit later to the party than the rest of you but I really enjoyed this one. Finished the last episode last night. Based on the article that was posted a few spots up, I'm excited to read that there seem to be several seasons planned for Bloodline. I've liked Kyle Chandler since Friday Night Lights and the actor who played Danny was outstanding as well. Netflix seems to know what they're doing with their TV series so far.

#28 ·
I started watching this about a month ago after I heard Kyle Chandler was nominated for some big acting award. I honestly wasn't expecting to like it, especially as I sat through the first episode. I 'm not a marathon TV show watcher, but this has been my go-to content whenever I fired up Netflix in the past month, replacing OITNB, whose third season I have yet to finish now.

I agree with some earlier posts about the bloat in some of Bloodlines episodes, and found myself checking the web or emails at times during the show. Around the eighth episode I started questioning how this is going to stretch to 13. But otherwise, this is a very solid show with excellent acting and worth watching if you like quality dramas. I'm definitely looking forward to the second season.

Linda Cardellini has been full of surprises. First Mad Men a couple years ago and now this. I know she's been in other things over the years, but I hadn't seen her since the first Scooby Doo movie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.