Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 567 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7857Likes

post #16981 of 18280 Old 06-17-2017, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Technology Notes
Samsung wants you to replace all the pictures on your wall with $2,000 TVs
By Michael Desjardin, Reviewed.com - Jun. 16, 2017
Love to see the OTHER side of that wall.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16982 of 18280 Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
It could be just me, and it could also be the area I live in, but every time I go into their local store, I get a snobbish or a kind of elitist vibe from people. You will not find very many who shop at Whole Foods shopping at Walmart. I also find it fun to eat healthy and unhealthy foods.
Read this on Twitter, "Great. Now we can order a $27 potato."
DrDon and Nayan like this.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #16983 of 18280 Old 06-17-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Well they don't call it Whole Paycheck for nothin'.

post #16984 of 18280 Old 06-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
It could be just me, and it could also be the area I live in, but every time I go into their local store, I get a snobbish or a kind of elitist vibe from people. You will not find very many who shop at Whole Foods shopping at Walmart. I also find it fun to eat healthy and unhealthy foods.
In my town we have a Fresh Thyme Farmer's Market and they are fantastic. They are like Whole Foods but with a goal of providing affordable healthy foods for regular people without no snobbish attitude. I can walk out of there spending way less than the other chains and the food is fresh and healthy.

I think Whole Foods is much more about hip prestige and marketing than providing a healthy food service to the people who need it.
post #16985 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Happy Father's Day to all the AVS dads!
aaronwt likes this.

My flabber has been gasted and my gob has been smacked. Anything else?
post #16986 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Obit
Stephen Furst, 'Animal House' Actor, Dead at 63
"Flounder" in classic 1978 comedy also appeared in 'Midnight Madness,' 'St. Elsewhere' and 'Babylon 5'
By Daniel Kreps - Rolling Stone - June 17th, 2017

Stephen Furst, the actor who portrayed "Flounder" in the classic comedy National Lampoon's Animal House, died Friday following complications from diabetes. He was 63.

Furst's sons Nathan and Griffith confirmed their father's death in a Facebook post. "Steve has a long list of earthly accomplishments. He was known to the world as a brilliant and prolific actor and filmmaker, but to his family and many dear friends he was also a beloved husband, father and kind friend whose memory will always be a blessing."

Furst is most remembered for playing bumbling freshman Kent "Flounder" Dorfman in Animal House, where his 0.2 grade point average made him the recipient of the quote, "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

In addition to the "Flounder" role – which Furst reprised in the short-lived TV spinoff series Delta House – the actor also appeared in the 1980 cult comedy Midnight Madness, The Dream Team and National Lampoon's Class Reunion, plus reoccurring roles on the TV series St. Elsewhere and Babylon 5.

"To truly honor him, do not cry for the loss of Stephen Furst," his sons continued. "But rather, enjoy memories of all the times he made you snicker, laugh, or even snort to your own embarrassment. He intensely believed that laugher is the best therapy, and he would want us to practice that now."

In 1984, Furst reteamed with his Animal House co-star Tim Matheson in the comedy Up the Creek. "Ah, Flounder! You ****ed up. You trusted us! But we loved ya, Pal. Rest In Peace," Matheson tweeted Saturday.

Director Kevin Smith wrote of Furst, "As an awkward round kid, Flounder was the Delta I most identified with in Animal House, my fave comedy. Stephen Furst helped shape who I am."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...-at-63-w488486

post #16987 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Autopsy
Carrie Fisher: Coroner Finds Sleep Apnea Contributed to Actress' Death

Atherosclerotic heart disease, "multiple drug intake" also factors in actress' massive heart attack

By Daniel Kreps - The Rolling Stone - June 16, 2017

A coroner's report in the death of Carrie Fisher found that "sleep apnea and other undetermined factors" caused the Star Wars actress' massive heart attack days before her December 27th death.

The Los Angeles County coroner's office added Friday that atherosclerotic heart disease – fatty tissue in the walls of Fisher's arteries – also contributed to her death, but the exact cause of her heart attack aboard a Los Angeles-bound airplane remains unclear.

Additionally, a medical examiner's report – the result of an autopsy conducted three days after Fisher's death – revealed signs of "multiple drug intake" around the time of her death, although which drugs specifically weren't announced. The report also stated that investigators couldn't determine whether the drugs played a role in her death, the Associated Press reports.

In a statement following the new coroner's report, Fisher's brother Todd said, "I am not shocked that part of her health was affected by drugs," adding that his sister relied on numerous prescription medications for her mental health conditions.

"We're not enlightened. There's nothing about this that is enlightening… I would tell you, from my perspective that there's certainly no news that Carrie did drugs," Todd Fisher said. " Without her drugs, maybe she would have left long ago."

Todd Fisher added that a number of factors – including Fisher's smoking, past drug use and current medications – likely all contributed to the actress' death at the age of 60.

In a separate statement (via CNN), Fisher's daughter Billie Lourd said following the coroners report, "My mom battled drug addiction and mental illness her entire life. She ultimately died of it. She was purposefully open in all of her work about the social stigmas surrounding these diseases. I know my Mom, she'd want her death to encourage people to be open about their struggles. Seek help, fight for government funding for mental health programs. Shame and those social stigmas are the enemies of progress to solutions and ultimately a cure."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...-death-w488445

post #16988 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2154 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
‘Reign’ Ratings Steady With Series Finale, NBC & CBS Split Friday
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Jun. 17, 2017

The CW’s Reign ended its run last night after four seasons. Like it did for every episode of the fourth season, the finale drew a series low 0.2 adults 18-49 rating (Live+same day). But its viewership grew +15% week-to-week to 771,000, the largest this season since the premiere. Leading to the Reign finale, the CW’s The Originals (0.3 in 18-49, 1.1 million) also was up in viewers (+20%) while steady in the demo.

NBC topped the slow demo race on Friday with an America’s Got Talent rerun (0.8 in 18-49, 4.4 million) and Dateline (0.8, 4.3 million) tying as the highest-rated programs of the night in 18-49. CBS’ Blue Bloods repeat (0.6, 5.6 million) was the most watched program Friday.

ABC’s 20/20 posted a 0.6 in 18-49 and 3.3 million viewers from 9-11 PM. In the not time zone-adjusted fast nationals, Fox’s U.S. Open golf coverage averaged a 0.4 in 18-49 and 1.6 million viewers in the 8 o’clock hour. The rest of the programs were repeats.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/reign-se...gs-1202115373/
post #16989 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quality Television
Michael Phelps Will Race a Great White Shark During 'Shark Week'

Discovery Channel's upcoming 'Great Gold vs. Great White' event airs July 23rd
By Joyce Chen - The Rolling Stone - June 15, 2017

Michael Phelps, the 23-time Olympic gold medalist, will compete against his most fearsome opponent to date: a great white shark. The race between man and fish, dubbed Great Gold vs. Great White, is part of Discovery Channel's Shark Week. The race airs July 23rd.

"They are one of the fastest and most efficient predators on the planet: Sharks," reads the hyperbolic press release. "He is our greatest champion to ever get in the water: Michael Phelps. 39 world records. 23 Olympic golds. But he has one competition left to win. An event so monumental no one has ever attempted it before. The world's most decorated athlete takes on the ocean’s most efficient predator."
Phelps gave viewers a possible preview of the dangerous feat, posting a photo of a great white swimming in clear waters alongside what looks to be a boat. "I was able to do something that I had always wanted to do. Be in a cage and dive with great White sharks," he captioned the Instagram snapshot.

The Maryland native announced his retirement after last year's Rio Olympics in August on The Today Show. "Done, done, done – and this time I mean it. I wanted to come back and finish my career how I wanted and this was the cherry on top of the cake."

At Rio, Phelps took home five gold medals and one silver, making him the most decorated Olympian of all time, with a collection of 28 medals throughout his career.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...k-week-w488412

post #16990 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Legal Notes
Mistrial! Bill Cosby Jury Unable to Reach Verdict After 5 Days of Deliberations
By Thom Geier, TheWrap.com - Jun. 17, 2017

The sexual assault trial of Bill Cosby ended in a mistrial on Saturday morning after the 12-person jury proved unable to reach a unanimous verdict after five days and 52 hours of deliberations.

“I remind everyone that this is not vindication or victory,” Montgomery County Judge Steven O’Neill told the courtroom in Norristown, Penn., just outside Philadelphia, after polling each of the jurors and declaring a mistrial in the high-profile case.

Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele said he intends to retry the 79-year-old comedian on three counts of aggravated sexual assault stemming from a 2014 encounter with former Temple University employee Andrea Constand. Cosby, who remains free on bail, faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

“I get emotional knowing how hard you worked, because there was no result,” O’Neill told the panel, which began deliberations on Monday evening following six days of testimony. “I have been nothing but extraordinarily impressed by who you are. It would be crazy not to be emotional.”

O’Neill called the work of the jury — which was made up of four white women, six white men, one black woman and one black man — “one of the most courageous acts that I have ever seen in the justice system.”

Throughout their deliberations, the jury made more than a dozen requests to rehear virtually every key piece of evidence presented over the six days of trial testimony.

On Thursday morning, the panel told the court they were deadlocked on each of the three counts, but O’Neill urged them to continue deliberations — which they did all day on Friday.

Constand had testified that Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her at his mansion in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania. She claimed Cosby gave her wine and three pills, causing her to pass out, and then “sexually violated” her.

Cosby, a beloved TV star once hailed as “America’s Dad,” repeatedly denied the allegations, calling the sexual encounter consensual; he declined to testify in his own defense at trial.

The jury was selected in Pittsburgh in late May and has been sequestered near Philadelphia for the duration of the trial.

More than 60 women have come forward to accuse Cosby of sexual assault since the allegation re-entered the spotlight in 2014, thanks to a viral stand-up bit by comedian Hannibal Buress. However, this month’s trial marked the first time Cosby faced criminal charges; the statute of limitations had expired in virtually all of the other cases.

Dan Weiss contributed to this report.

http://www.thewrap.com/mistrial-bill...exual-assault/
post #16991 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Critic's Notes (Broadcast)
No Matter What Happens, the Only Move for Bachelor in Paradise Is Cancellation
By Jada Yuan, Vulture.com (New York Magazine) - Jun. 16, 2017

The past few days have been heartrending and sickening for any fan of ABC’s Bachelor in Paradise and its franchise-adjacent series, The Bachelor and The Bachelorette — though, it cannot be overstated that things are much, much worse for anyone involved in, or familiar with the people involved in, the alleged sexual assault that took place on June 4, the first day of filming for season four.

Word first broke Sunday afternoon that production had been halted due to “allegations of misconduct” on the reality series, in which Bachelor/ette also-rans gather for three weeks on a beach in Mexico in a margarita-fueled haze to find love (a.k.a. hook up), or get booted off the island. Since then, each breaking-news item has been more awful than the last. What we know is that at least one of the show’s producers filed a third-party complaint about filmed sexual activity between two very drunk cast members, one of whom may have been too drunk to consent. Warner Bros. and ABC have sent everyone home and are “conducting a thorough investigation.” Both contestants involved, DeMario Jackson, 30, and Corrine Olympios, 24, have leaked their versions of events through anonymous sources to TMZ, and both released explosive personal statements on Wednesday. Olympios’s began, “I am a victim,” though notably she did not mention Jackson. Jackson has vowed to clear his name. Host Chris Harrison has urged patience, while one of the show’s producers gave a horrifying and graphic account to the Daily Mail. Was it just a night of nudity and cunnilingus, as Jackson’s confidantes told TMZ? Or was it a case of producers egging on contestants to get drunk and hook up, then not stepping in when Olympios blacked out — on a show where producers are known for plying participants with an endless flow of alcohol?

Unlike the vast majority of sexual-assault cases, this one was filmed. There will be answers. But no matter what those answers are, it’s clear the only possible road forward from this horrible mess is cancellation not just of the season, but the entire series. This isn’t just what some, like Reality Steve, Bachelor Nation’s most deeply sourced blogger, have predicted will happen. This is what should happen, from a moral standpoint. And I am saying this as someone who ****ing loves Bachelor in Paradise.

I have gone to bat for BiP since its first season in 2014, when I wrote an ode calling it “summer’s greatest gift to television.” It had everything you wanted in candy TV: tons of sex, a campy acknowledgment by everyone involved that it was a parody of itself, and a running gag involving a questionably sane contestant and the raccoon she confided in. It even had an amazing sequence where a contestant named Michelle K. got caught hooking up with a sound guy, he jumped out a second-story window, broke both his legs, and host Chris Harrison reenacted the whole thing like an America’s Most Wanted–style sequence.

The show, Harrison told me in an interview back then, was inspired by the booze-and-hookup-filled reunions Bachelor/ette contestants had already been having on their own. “I’d come back and talk to Mike Fleiss and Rob Mills over at ABC and go, ‘Guys, this is the show. They just went to Vegas and one guy slept with three women in two days,’” he said. “‘That’s incredible. And for some reason it’s considered okay and everybody likes this guy. Let’s show this!’” BiP was made even trashier and more delightful to scoff-watch because the cast was filled with villains, wackadoos, and barely memorables who’d blown it on their original series and then volunteered for humiliation all over again. My friends and I posited that the Bachelor producers had conceived of the show while drunk, and host Chris Harrison basically agreed: “It’s a little bit a mix of a piña colada and a margarita after work,” he told me.

Sure, it was more than a little gross that the way to stay in the game was to win over a member of the opposite sex who then held your fate in his or her hands. (Each week, there would be an unequal number of ladies and gents, and members of the sex with the lower number would choose which members of the opposite gender to give roses to, sending the rest home.) The parade of horrible, desperate make-out sessions I’ve seen in the show’s three completed seasons make Screech from Saved by the Bell look like a smooth operator. They’re also everything I, and every other die-hard BiP fan, live for.

The intrigue! The machinations! The double-crosses! It’s a spectacle I’ve gleefully dissected on podcasts, but also praised as the more natural cousin to its formality-soaked feeder series. BiP was more capable of engendering lasting romantic connections because it better imitated how normal humans get to know one another (hanging out on a beach and drinking versus mud-wrestling group dates with ten guys to one woman). To date, it has produced one real marriage (Jade and Tanner Tolbert, who met in season two and will soon be having a baby), one fake marriage (Lacy Faddoul and Marcus Grodd, season one’s golden couple who never married despite walking down the aisle in season two, and are now broken up), and three engagements last season alone. One of those engagements is turning into a real marriage, too: Evan Bass and Carly Waddell’s ceremony was scheduled to be filmed for this season of BiP, and it’s apparently still going forward.

This means that in three seasons, Bachelor in Paradise will have produced more marriages than 21 seasons of The Bachelor, the show about a guy trying to find a wife.

What made BiP the greatest bad show of all the summers in all the land is that everyone was in on the joke: the producers, the contestants, and the viewers. Remember when Ashley Iaconetti’s sister, Lauren, pout-dragged her roller suitcase down the beach when she quit the show in season two? Or when season three’s Leah seemed to spend a full day blowing up a giant swan floatie to drown her sadness and then tried to surf with it? Provide enough material for all of us to laugh at together and you’d be set for life with Instagram endorsements.

Last season, BiP took the camp to incredible new heights, introducing a Love Boat–inspired opening credits sequence with a perfectly cheesy theme song, where each contestant made a self-referential visual joke. Daniel, whose occupation was always listed as “Canadian,” doused his bare chest in maple syrup; Lace, known for her very drunken antics, fell over while keeping her margarita glass aloft. Over two hour-long episodes twice a week for six weeks, the show gave enough redemptive airtime for two-time Bachelorette runner-up Nick Viall to charm his way back into America’s good graces and become the surprise pick for the next Bachelor. We also got the treat of watching the cute, weird romance between an erectile-dysfunction specialist Evan and cruise-ship singer Carly, an off-brand couple for this franchise who never would have fallen in love were it not for the BiP’s immersive format of multiple chances. (Evan tried to convince another woman to pick him, and Carly kept him around because he was mildly amusing and she wasn’t feeling it with anyone else. Their best date came when he faked an illness and she accompanied him to the hospital.)

But the show’s core identity is summer fun, and summer fun such as this cannot survive allegations of sexual assault, no matter how those allegations play out.

Nor should we want it to. The tapes, the investigation, and the lawyers whom both Jackson and Olympios are said to have retained will determine responsibility. Some of it will likely land on the production, which supplies alcohol to contestants to increase drama and may or may not have put a contestant in danger because they wanted to capture that danger on film. And let’s not forget much of the reason why contestants feel compelled to get drunk and act out, and why production feels compelled to enable them, is because we viewers keep tuning in for it.

The signs of this show going off the rails have increased every season. Season three of BiP opened with a scary arc involving Chad Johnson, the over-muscled villain of JoJo’s season of The Bachelorette, engaging in a heavy make-out session with Lace (a villain from Ben Higgins’s season) that grew rougher and rougher throughout the evening, until she rejected him and he rampaged through the bungalow threatening to kill people. He also made nasty remarks about Sarah Herron, who was born with one arm, before getting dramatically kicked off the show the next morning. Both on JoJo’s season and on BiP, the production seemed willing to allow Chad to go right up to the line of violent outbursts, including shoving contests, all for the sake of good television. For almost its entire run, that season also featured Josh Murray, whose ex, former Bachelorette Andi Dorfman, had accused him of emotional abuse in her tell-all book.

On its surface, BiP may look like the horny stepchild of The Bachelor/ette, but it didn’t spring up from a vacuum. The entire franchise’s treatment of sex has also become more overt over the past few years — a remarkable evolution for a dating show on a Disney-owned company that for over a decade only referred to coitus in euphemism. In the flagship series, there’s a designated “Fantasy Suites” episode — which happens after meeting the parents but before getting engaged to someone you’ve known for six weeks — when the lead would present his or her final three suitors with a stiffly worded invitation to “forgo your individual rooms and use this key to stay as a couple in the Fantasy Suite,” upon which there might be some making out in a hot tub before the cameras exit. Then there’d usually be a suggestive shot of two shadows entwined as filmed through closed curtains in the window, followed by glowing morning-after interviews about how much the two of them needed that alone time.

In the rare cases where there was sexual activity before the Fantasy Suites, it was always a major scandal, and again, never referred to by name. Who can forget when the greatest villain of all time, Courtney Robinson, went “skinny dipping” in the ocean with Bachelor No. 16, Ben Flajnik, who became her fiance? Or Clare Crawley, who spent much of Bachelor season 18 getting slut-shamed and having to defend her choice to go “swimming in the ocean” with Juan Pablo Galavis?

This is not an accomplishment I am particularly proud of, but I have watched nearly every season of every series of this franchise (including BiP’s predecessor, the games-and-hookups competition show Bachelor Pad, which also only lasted three seasons). The first time I remember anyone actually acknowledging what goes on in the Fantasy Suite was when runner-up Nick Viall confronted Bachelorette Andi Dorfman in a postmortem and asked, “Why did you make love to me if you weren’t in love with me?” That may seem like nothing for anyone who’s ever seen Big Brother or The Real World or Jersey Shore, but in the Bachelor/ette world, that **** was crazy!

It also opened the franchise up to finally talking about sex, and perhaps to its detriment, realizing viewers had an appetite for it. The first BiP season aired the summer after Andi’s Bachelorette run, and the final episode featured one female contestant bragging about how pleasantly surprised she’d been when she saw her chosen partner’s penis. The next Bachelorette, wonderful, horny rebel Kaitlyn Bristowe, became possibly the first person in franchise history to say the word “sex” after taking Andi Dorfman’s ex, Nick Viall, back to her hotel room on a date way, way before Fantasy Suites.

It was an enormous scandal that resulted in the show getting disinvited from a planned trip to Patagonia. But not only did producers hold a mic up to the closed door of Kaitlyn and Nick’s hotel room to record their sex sounds, they also filmed them lounging around in bathrobes the morning after their second rendezvous — this time during Fantasy Suites. Every subsequent season of the flagship series (Ben Higgins, JoJo Fletcher, Nick Viall) has filmed couples in their postcoital bathrobes the morning after their Fantasy Suite nights. BiP, meanwhile, does the bathrobe thing, plus more explicitly features night-vision scenes of contestants gyrating under sheets, and doing things involving hands and genitals in the pool.

Hookups in general seem to sell, but the right people hooking up will sell even more. There’s reason to believe reports that producers encouraged Olympios and Jackson to get together. Olympios was by far the most entertaining person on Nick’s season of The Bachelor: She was praised for creating great TV moments, like spraying whipped cream on her breasts and having Nick lick it off, and she knew her worth. When she was asked if she’d do BiP, she demurred, stating not unfairly that she deserved her own show.

Jackson had less airtime, since Rachel Lindsay gave him the boot at the beginning of the third episode of this Bachelorette season, but he’d already proven himself charming, funny, an enormous showboat, and a total scumbag. Highlights included comparing himself to Michael Jordan and Tom Brady during a game of amateur basketball (that his team didn’t win); slam-dunking on Rachel, the woman he was trying to impress; and doing a real-life “who dis?” to his ex-girlfriend who’d come on the show to confront him, then lying about it to Rachel before the ex brought out text message receipts. When Rachel told him, “You need to get the **** out,” he came back to plead his case, poorly, only to get another you-go-girl beatdown from Rachel. With the help of producers, Jackson and Olympios perhaps found their way to one another for a reason: It was ratings gold.

Even if the events of June 4 turn out to be overblown, if the investigation proves it was just the kind of drunken hookup the contestants signed on for, there’s no way to turn back the dial. All those other border-brushing incidents were allowed into the show — and allowed to escalate — because no one got hurt. But the kind of hurt that arises from even just the possibility that a sexual assault could happen, and be filmed, is an injury too far. I will miss Bachelor in Paradise as much as anyone. I am sad for the contestants who will not get a chance to find love or at least further their Instagram brands, and for the jobs of crew members who had nothing to do with what transpired. I feel, in many ways, responsible as a fan and an advocate, for encouraging the escalating outrageous behavior that made such an incident possible. I hope everyone involved receives justice. But I do not for a second wish to see another episode of Bachelor in Paradise. A reality show that gets this real is no longer entertainment; it’s a tragedy.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/bache...only-move.html
post #16992 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Better Late Than Never
WILLIAM SHATNER: From Captain Kirk to ... BUNNY HANDLER!!!
TMZ - JUne 17, 2017

William Shatner may have explored new worlds where no man has gone before, but now he's in Sweden ... running around with rabbits.

The legendary "Star Trek" actor is in Stockholm shooting for his new comedy/reality show "Better Late Than Never" ... and showed off his skills as a bunny handler. Spoiler alert -- he wasn't great at it.

Rabbit show jumping is big in Sweden -- kind of like the Westminster Dog Show in the U.S.

Shatner and his fellow cultural icons on the show -- Henry Winkler, Terry Bradshaw and George Foreman -- all took part in the rabbit racing and looked like they had a blast. As usual, host Jeff Dye was their guide.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/06/17/willia...y-rabbit-show/

post #16993 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

No political comments, please.

TV/Media Notes
Bill O’Reilly plans comeback after Fox News dismissal
By Roger Yu, USA Today - Jun. 16, 2017

Bill O’Reilly is planning a comeback.

The conservative broadcaster who was fired from Fox News in April after charges of workplace sexual harassment is forming a team to launch an online video project, news industry blog Mediaite reported Friday.

O’Reilly, 67, couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. But he told Mediaite that "we are assembling a team of journalists and are considering a number of options.” He currently hosts podcasts and sells his books at his website, Billoreilly.com.

A Fox News producer recently left his job to join O’Reilly’s video project that will launch “soon,” Mediaite reported.

Until he was fired, O’Reilly was the highest-rated host at Fox News, the most-watched cable network. And there has been much speculation that he’d be heavily courted by other conservative news outlets, including One America News Network and Sinclair Broadcast Group.

Charles Herring, president of One America News Network, declined to comment if he is in talks with O’Reilly for a formal role at the network, but said One America was interested.

O’Reilly sat for an interview with One America that was aired Thursday. "There's been a lot of legal things I had to deal with," O'Reilly said in the interview. "What we're trying to do is pivot over to the Internet."

Fox sex settlement probe expands to second agency, report says
“We’d love for him to have a daily talk show on One America News Network,” Herring said. “Clearly, when he’s on our news program and we have camera crews in his house, we know how to get hold of Mr. O’Reilly. We don’t discuss anything until a formal announcement is made.”

Twenty-First Century Fox, the parent company of Fox News, dropped O'Reilly from the network lineup in April following an investigation into allegations by several women that the newsman sexually harassed them in the past.

The termination, which came shortly after O'Reilly signed a new multi-year contract worth more than $20 million a year, ended his 21-year run at Fox.

O'Reilly has said the claims against him are "completely unfounded."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ack/102930680/
post #16994 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Business Notes (Digital)
Layoffs Hit Seeso as Future of NBCU's Streamer Hangs in the Balance
By Bryn Elise Sandberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Jun. 16, 2017

Seeso is undergoing a major change.

The NBCUniversal comedy streamer is laying off a portion of its staff as the SVOD service's business model is being re-evaluated by executives in charge. The news comes a month after Seeso's head Evan Shapiro exited his post, leaving NBCUniversal president digital enterprises Maggie Suniewick to take over his responsibilities.

Some of the staffers affected by the layoffs have been reassigned to different roles within NBCUniversal's digital enterprises division, which Seeso falls under. There's been speculation for some time that the streaming service would be exiting the original programming sphere to focus more on existing NBC programming, though sources say that no decision has been made yet as execs are still discussing the matter.

The $3.99 a month service first launched in January 2016 in an attempt to offer next-day streaming of NBC comedy fare including Saturday Night Live, Late Night With Seth Meyers and The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. In addition, Seeso acquired other programs such as Monty Python’s Flying Circus and developed its own originals (Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher's Take My Wife, for instance).

Seeso’s originals roster also includes Bajillion Dollar Propertie$, which recently premiered its third season and has been renewed for a fourth. Scheduled to debut later this summer is There’s… Johnny! from Paul Reiser and David Steven Simon, the second season of Harmonquest and the series premiere of Flula Borg’s hybrid comedy Flulanthropy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...alance-1014275
post #16995 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
HBO Isn’t Giving ‘Game of Thrones’ Screeners to TV Critics
By Tom Huddleston Jr., Fortune.com - Jun. 16, 2017

Even TV critics won't be getting any spoilers before Game of Thrones' highly-anticipated seventh season premieres on HBO next month.

HBO has reportedly decided not to make preview screeners for the show's new season available to any television critics. The move marks a break from tradition in the TV industry, in which networks and studios typically provide a certain number of journalists with screener copies of some, or all, of the episodes for a show's upcoming season to allow writers enough time to prepare their reviews and recaps before publishing them online soon after each new episode airs.

Time Warner's premium cable network did send out review screeners for the six previous seasons of Game of Thrones, and HBO also gave critics early looks at the bulk of episodes for other recent seasons of series such as The Leftovers, which wrapped up its final season earlier this month, according to Entertainment Weekly. But, the network is now playing things closer to the vest with Game of Thrones, as the fantasy epic that has become HBO's most popular series is entering its penultimate season. That could be due to the fact that the action on the TV series has now moved so far past what is depicted in author George R.R. Martin's books, on which the show is based, making every plot detail that much more important for HBO to guard closely.
Get Data Sheet, Fortune's technology newsletter.

The move is a rarity for Hollywood, but certainly not unprecedented. Matt Weiner, the creator of Mad Men on AMC Networks, stopped sending out screeners to critics partway through that popular series' seven-season run in order to prevent the leak of any spoilers.

The seventh season of Game of Thrones premieres on HBO on July 16. Last year's sixth season premiere drew record television and streaming viewership for HBO, as roughly 10.7 million people watched the debut across cable and streaming (on HBO Go and HBO Now). A trailer for the upcoming season that hit the Internet in March was viewed more than 61 million times within 24 hours across various digital platforms. The highly-watched and critically-acclaimed series will only air 13 more episodes, with seven of those airing this summer before the final half-dozen episodes air sometime in 2018 or 2019.

http://fortune.com/2017/06/16/hbo-ga...nes-screeners/
post #16996 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Broadcast/Digital)
DC Releases Unaired ‘Powerless’ Episode Featuring Adam West
By Jacob Bryant, Variety.com - Jun. 16, 2017

DC has decided to release an unaired episode of NBC’s “Powerless” featuring the late Adam West.

DC announced on Twitter that West’s unaired episode would be available for a limited time through their DC All Access channel. It’s also available in its entirety on DC Entertainment’s YouTube channel.

“Powerless” was pulled from the air back in April with two episodes remaining unaired. One of them — titled “Win, Luthor, Draw” — featured the 1960’s Batman. West guest starred as Dean West, the chairman of Wayne Industries, who visits the team in Charm City to deliver some bad news.

There are nods throughout the episode to West’s iconic time spent as the Caped Crusader — specifically when West turns to the camera and delivers some ’60s Batman alliteration straight to the audience. “What will become of our little gang of scrappy underdogs? Will Bruce Wayne bail out our heroes, or will the treacherous Lex Luthor seek revenge?” he narrates near the end of the sitcom, spoofing how many episodes of the ’60s series ended.

Despite boasting a strong cast including Vanessa Hudgens, Alan Tudyk, Danny Pudi, Ron Funches, and Christina Kirk, “Powerless” never found a large audience. Starting off with a decent 1.1 rating and 3.1 million viewers, the last episode only managed a 0.6 and 2 million viewers.

This wasn’t the only tribute to West. Earlier this week, the city of Los Angeles also honored the star by firing up the Bat Signal on the L.A. City Hall.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/dc-a...de-1202469320/
post #16997 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

TV Review (Broadcast)
‘My Mother and Other Strangers’ Tells the Story of Life During World War II in Northern Ireland
By David Hinckley, TVWorthWatching.com's 'All Along the Watchtower' - Jun. 18, 2017

Behind a title that could mean almost anything, the new PBS drama My Mother and Other Strangers rivetingly portrays several of the 10,000 human consequences of war.

Debuting Sunday at 8 p.m. ET (check local listings), My Mother focuses on a small circle of lives in a Northern Irish village where American airmen are stationed in 1943-44.

The mother is Rose Coyne (Hattie Morahan), whose husband Michael (Owen McDonnell) runs the local pub in the fictional town of Moybeg. Rose runs the grocery store next door, sparring with townsfolk who never get quite what they want with their ration cards.

The Coynes have three children, including 16-year-old Emma (Eileen O’Higgins) and her younger brother Francis (Michael Nevin). The story is periodically narrated by an older Francis, looking back on these years and trying to understand things his younger self might have missed.

My Mother focuses on something that’s been incidental in many other World War II dramas: the culture clash and subsequent tension between local folks and the boisterous, swaggering Americans who seem only to want one final round of life before they’re shipped off to the killing fields of battle.

The unease between locals and outsiders moves from the general to the specific when Lt. Barnhill (Corey Cott) asks Michael for permission to date Emma.

Michael sends him packing then Emma tiptoes out to the pictures with him anyway.

While nothing happens, and Lt. Barnhill seems like the epitome of an old-school gentleman, the date ends badly all around.

Lt. Barnhill is, however, just the opening act here – the setup guy for the real romantic intrigue.

Rose, who was born and raised in England before moving to Moybeg when she married Michael, has never quite fit into her adoptive home. She’s more educated, more interested in literature, culture and the world than most of the people around her.

My Mother doesn’t look down on either side of that divide. It does, however, make it clear the divide is real, and that it extends to Rose’s relationship with Michael.

He’s solid, faithful, devoted to his family. But he’s a local guy, content to live inside Moybeg, and he knows Rose sees, and wants, a bigger world than that. “She’s about as local as Churchill,” he murmurs at one point.

Enter Capt. Ronald Dreyfus (Aaron Staton), assigned by the U.S. military to work with the Moybeg community on ways in which friction between the townspeople and the stationed airmen could be minimized.

Capt. Dreyfus figures that the local barkeep might have some suggestions, so he stops by to see Michael Coyne.

Instead, he ends up talking with Rose, and since it’s right after the incident with Emma and Lt. Barnhill, they don’t get past that to the broader subject.

Further conversations ensue, however, during which we learn that the handsome, cultured Capt. Dreyfus is unmarried, and it doesn’t take Sam Spade to see where this could be going.

And yes, in a sense it does echo the recently cancelled PBS drama Home Fires, in which a local woman became involved with a stationed officer.

My Mother takes a very different tone and course from Home Fires, however, though they are linked by the specter of uncertainty that shadows all characters in wartime dramas.

Lethal armed conflict has a way of reminding everyone, acutely, that tomorrow is not promised.

My Mother, a joint production of BBC Northern Ireland and Masterpiece Theater, is written with considerable skill, dodging almost all temptation to become soap opera, and Morahan leads a strong cast of actors, particularly those portraying the locals.

The filming captures the mist and sometimes bleakness of a small coastal village while also savoring its wild, ragged beauty.

Viewers, like the characters, know that from the beginning the odds of a happy ending here are virtually non-existent. So we, like they, will look for pleasures where we find them in the moment.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=14183
post #16998 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
SUNDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)
From Zap2it.com's TV Grid - Jun. 18, 2017

ABC:
7PM - America's Funniest Home Videos
(R - Jan. 15)
8PM - Celebrity Family Feud: Eva Longoria vs. George Lopez; Yvette Nicole Brown vs. Ashley Graham
9PM - Steve Harvey's FUNDERDOME
10PM - The $100,000 Pyramid: Bobby Moynihan vs. Sasheer Zamata; Lance Bass vs. Joey Fatone

CBS:
7PM - 60 Minutes
8PM - NCIS: Los Angeles
(R - Nov. 27)
9PM - Madam Secretary
(R - Oct. 23)
10PM - Code Black
(R - Nov. 23)

NBC:
7PM - Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly (Alex Jones interview)
8PM - American Ninja Warrior (120 min.)
(R - Jun. 12)
10PM - Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge
(R - Jun. 12)

FOX:
7PM - 2017 U.S. Open Golf Championship: Final Round (continues live from 11AM)
8:30PM - American Grit
9:30PM - Family Guy
(R - Mar. 5)

PBS:
8PM - My Mother and Other Strangers on Masterpiece (Series Premiere)
9PM - Grantchester on Masterpiece (Season Premiere, 90 min.)
10:30PM - PBS Previews: The Vietnam War
(R - May 28)

UNIVISION:
7PM - La Rosa de Guadalupe
8PM - Los Milagros de Jesús
9PM - Los Milagros de Jesús
10PM - Aquí y Ahora

TELEMUNDO:
7PM - Movie - Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
10PM - Don Francisco Te Invita

ESPN:
7PM - Baseball Tonight: Sunday Night Countdown (LIVE)
8PM - MLB Baseball: Boston Red Sox at Houston Astros (LIVE)

HISTORY:
8PM - Forged in Fire: Cutting Deeper
9PM - America's War on Drugs: Acid, Spies & Secret Experiments (Premiere, 2 hrs. 5 min.)

AMC:
9PM - Fear the Walking Dead
10:01PM - Talking Dead

TNT:
9PM - Claws

SHOWTIME:
9PM - Twin Peaks: The Return (Episode 7)
10PM - I'm Dying Up Here

STARZ:
9PM - American Gods (Season Finale, 62 min.)

HBO:
10PM - Silicon Valley
10:31M - Veep
11:01PM - Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

COMEDY CENTRAL:
10PM - Kevin Hart Presents: The Next Level (Series Premiere)
10:30PM - Legends of Chamberlain Heights (Season Premiere)

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlisti...000&aid=zap2it
post #16999 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jun. 18, 2017

A TRIBUTE TO LES PAUL
AXS TV, 8:00 p.m. ET
SPECIAL PREMIERE:
This special salute to legendary guitarist and electric guitar inventor Les Paul was 11 years in the making – or, at least, 11 years in the incubating. The concert part of it was recorded on Les Paul’s 90th birthday in 2006, at the Gibson Amphitheater in Los Angeles, with such powerhouse guitarists as Buddy Guy, Slash, and Edgar Winter taking part. Also, there are interviews with Les Paul himself, recorded shortly before his death in 2009, at age 94. With luck, this special will include clips from Paul’s pioneering 1954-55 syndication series, the 15-minutes-or-less The Les Paul & Mary Ford Show (pictured), sold to local stations as musical interstitial filler.

TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN
Showtime, 9:00 p.m. ET

This is Episode 7 of the reboot of Twin Peaks – about time for something to happen, don’t you think? Last week, the biggest revelation was that Laura Dern has been cast as Diane, the heretofore never-before-seen woman to whom Kyle McLachlan’s Agent Cooper, in the old Twin Peaks, used to dictate notes about fir trees, cherry pie, and chocolate bunnies.

AMERICAN GODS
Starz!, 9:00 p.m. ET
SEASON FINALE:
Last week, American Gods took an interesting detour that devoted the entire hour to a lengthy flashback explaining the relationships and pasts of two characters. Tonight, we return to the “present” story line in full, meet some new characters (including one god played by Kristin Chewoweth), and, no doubt, end with one hell, and one heaven, of a cliffhanger.

SILICON VALLEY
HBO, 10:00 p.m. ET

This penultimate episode of the season also is the penultimate Silicon Valley appearance by T.J. Miller, whose HBO special premiered last night – and who is leaving the show after next week’s season finale.

VEEP
HBO, 10:30 p.m. ET

This very, very funny comedy, having its best season yet, continues to surprise, and delight. Last week it had great fun making room for a guest appearance by Jean Smart. And this week, it focuses on Anna Chlumsky (pictured) and other members of its own regular supporting cast – where the talent is as hilarious as it is deep.

LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER
HBO, 11:00 p.m. ET

Again, what a week. Again, I can’t wait for Oliver not only to explain it all, but to make light of it – because light, these days, is a treasured commodity.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/
post #17000 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jun. 18, 2017

TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN
Showtime, 9:00 p.m. ET

This is Episode 7 of the reboot of Twin Peaks – about time for something to happen, don’t you think? Last week, the biggest revelation was that Laura Dern has been cast as Diane, the heretofore never-before-seen woman to whom Kyle McLachlan’s Agent Cooper, in the old Twin Peaks, used to dictate notes about fir trees, cherry pie, and chocolate bunnies.
Funny. The only reason I'm keeping Showtime at the moment is this show, but I'm recording them all to binge later. But David's weekly "nothing's happening, yet" reviews make me wonder if it's worth the bother.

post #17001 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked: 3842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Funny. The only reason I'm keeping Showtime at the moment is this show, but I'm recording them all to binge later. But David's weekly "nothing's happening, yet" reviews make me wonder if it's worth the bother.
I've been wondering the same thing. I was eagerly looking forward to this one, but my enthusiasm drains away a little more each week as critics & reviewers complain of it spinning its wheels. So they pile up on the machine, waiting for a rainy day and a piece of cherry pie.
DrDon likes this.
post #17002 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 2057
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Quality Television
Michael Phelps Will Race a Great White Shark During 'Shark Week'

Discovery Channel's upcoming 'Great Gold vs. Great White' event airs July 23rd
By Joyce Chen - The Rolling Stone - June 15, 2017
Followed by a repeat of the riveting 1986 Geraldo Rivera special - The Mystery of Al Capone's Vault.
aaronwt, DrDon, dad1153 and 2 others like this.
post #17003 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked: 3842
Michael Phelps swims fast, but even the fastest human swimmer can only manage about 6 mph. A great white shark swims around 35 mph when it puts its fin to the metal, so to speak. So how, exactly, is this supposed to be a "race"?
VisionOn likes this.
post #17004 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Followed by a repeat of the riveting 1986 Geraldo Rivera special - The Mystery of Al Capone's Vault.
So, what it boils down to is the question: Will Phelps Jump the Shark ?

* Someone had to be stupid enough to say it.....It had to be said.
joblo, DrDon, dad1153 and 2 others like this.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #17005 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Michael Phelps swims fast, but even the fastest human swimmer can only manage about 6 mph. A great white shark swims around 35 mph when it puts its fin to the metal, so to speak. So how, exactly, is this supposed to be a "race"?
The increasing dumbness of Shark Week entertainment shows and stunts is one of the reasons I'm glad I am not involved with it any more. Six years ago it was an internal battle of wills between education and marketing and marketing appears to have won.

Discovery can never decide if they are promoting conservation or just sensationalism.

post #17006 of 18280 Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Babylon 5 fans, we mourn the loss of another of its key players.

Stephen Furst, who portrayed Vir Cotto, the assistant to Centauri Prime ambassador Londo Mollari, has died as a result of complications from his long bout with diabetes.

Vir was once called, by Londo himself, "you moon-faced assassin of joy", grew throughout the series.

And, in his relationship with Shadows front man Mr. Morden, Vir got exactly what he wanted. You have to have seen the series (or at least the YouTube clip) to know what I'm talking about.

I mention this because the announcement earlier in this thread gave little lip service to one of his better characters (it concentrated on his role as Flounder in Animal House).

I felt he deserved better in terms of B5.
post #17007 of 18280 Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

TV Sports/Business Notes
McDonald's nixes Olympics sponsorship after 41 years
By Zlati Meyer, USA Today - Jun. 17, 2017

McDonald's has halted its Olympics sponsorship after 41 years supporting the worldwide sporting event.

In a joint announcement with the International Olympic Committee, the fast-food chain explained that it's part of an overall reevaluation of itself.

“As part of our global growth plan, we are reconsidering all aspects of our business and have made this decision in cooperation with the IOC to focus on different priorities,” said McDonald’s global chief marketing officer Silvia Lagnado.

The end is effective immediately and McDonald's is no longer listed on the IOC Web site as a sponsor.

In 1968, McDonald's airlifted hamburgers to homesick athletes at the Grenoble Winter Olympics, though the company didn't become a sponsor until the 1976 Montreal Summer Games, according to McDonald's Web site. Eight years later, the chain and franchisees built the McDonald's Olympic Swim Stadium for the Los Angeles Summer Games.

"We have mutually agreed with McDonald’s to part ways. I would like to thank our friends at McDonald’s on behalf of the IOC for the commitment the company has shown to the Olympic Movement over many decades," said Timo Lumme, managing director of IOC's television and marketing service.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...hip/102911976/
post #17008 of 18280 Old 06-19-2017, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

AVS gets a shout-out in this review.

Technology Notes/Review (Ultra HD)
TCL P-Series 4K Roku TV review: a must-own television for under $1,000
Nearly everything you need — for only $600
By Chris Welch, TheVerge.com

[CLICK LINK AT BOTTOM TO SEE PICTURES OF TV SET]

Roku TVs have typically been the perfect choice for an inexpensive second TV, or a good option if you prioritize ease-of-use over picture quality. But the new TCL P-Series moves Roku TVs up several rungs into premium 4K territory — and for a terrific price. It pairs a superb 4K picture (made better by Dolby Vision HDR) with Roku’s excellent software. The viewing experience you get from this $599 TV is on par with sets that cost two or three times as much. There’s no glaring weakness to be found in the P-Series. After a couple weeks and many hours spent reviewing the 55-inch model, I’ve failed to uncover any deal-breakers or issues that would hold back a gleaming recommendation.

TCL’s P-Series is a remarkable win for budget-conscious consumers. You’re not “settling” or sacrificing much of anything in terms of specs or features with this TV. It’s got local-area dimming (a feature often reserved for pricier sets), 4K resolution, HDR, and intuitive, familiar software with easy access to all the popular streaming apps you’d need.

Pulling TCL’s P-Series out of the box, your first impression of the exterior will probably be that it looks every bit like a $600 Roku TV. The bezels are glossy black plastic that can quickly pick up fingerprints and fine scratches. But they’re thin and should all but disappear to your eye when something’s on the screen. I tested the 55-inch model, as the smaller (50-inch) and larger (65-inch) versions don’t ship until later this year, and TCL hasn’t even announced pricing for them.

Included with the TV is a remote similar to the one that comes with Roku’s standalone boxes. It’s got a headphone jack and mic for voice search, plus shortcut buttons for Netflix, Sling, Hulu, and Starz. I really wish Roku would just stop with the paid-placement favorites and let users customize these buttons already, or at least change either Sling or Starz to Amazon — a more popular service. But hey, at least you also get a pair of earbuds in the box.

Attaching the two, silver plastic feet to the TV takes less than five minutes. Power the P-Series on and you’ll run through the Roku OS setup process nearly as fast. If you’ve used a Roku streaming box before, you know what to expect: create an account, start downloading apps like Netflix and Amazon Video, and you’re off. Since Roku’s software is also the TV’s operating system, you’ll choose which inputs you plan to use (HDMI, antenna, etc.) and can rename your HDMI ports to “cable” or “Xbox” and things other people in your house will understand. Speaking of which, the P-Series has 3 HDMI 2.0 ports, and all of them are fully HDCP 2.2-compliant to ensure compatibility with 4K and HDR content. The generous mix of other ports you get are coax (for cable or an antenna), Ethernet, optical audio out, USB 2.0, AV in, and 3.5-mm audio out. There are no component inputs on the TV itself, but an included splitter cable can be used for those connections. I never needed to plug in over Ethernet, as the 802.11ac Wi-Fi consistently proved fast enough for reliable 4K streaming on my home network.

I really love Roku as the underlying software for a smart TV. It’s extremely fast and responsive, and is more than capable of helping you find something to watch — and see what your best option is for streaming it. There are a bunch of nice little touches, too, like the live preview that appears when you hover over an HDMI input on the home screen. That’s helpful for a quick check of whether your gaming console is powered on for no reason. Cord cutters with an antenna will appreciate the option to pause live TV if they have a USB storage device plugged in. I didn’t test it that way, however; I focused on using the TCL P-Series as a living room showcase for 4K streaming. And what an impressive display it is.

The screen itself has 72 “contrast control zones,” which is TCL’s name for full-array local dimming (or FALD). FALD allows the TV to dim or brighten the backlight behind individual areas (or “zones”) of the display based on the current scene, resulting in deeper blacks and better contrast. Vizio also offers full-array local dimming in some of its inexpensive TVs, but many other televisions in this price range lack it. It’s a huge part of what makes the P-Series look so good, but it’s just one piece. Sometimes the dimming can be a little aggressive, however, so hopefully TCL will fine-tune the FALD performance through firmware updates.

TCL is also supporting HDR with this TV; both Dolby Vision and HDR10 can be streamed from apps such as Netflix or Amazon Video (or 4K Blu-ray players) that offer the enhanced picture. For a $600 TV, the P-Series can get astoundingly bright with HDR mode enabled, and it offers an expanded color range as well. It’s not quite the full DCI-P3 gamut that pricier sets support, but you’ll definitely notice the wider palette. That means you’re not just getting an HDR TV in name or marketing lingo only; TCL’s performance delivers above any expectations I had for this TV going in. Is it on par with an $2,000 OLED or the very best LCDs? No, but a lot of people will still find the picture to be tremendous for the cost.

Once you’ve finished with the Dolby Vision movies available from Vudu and have gone through shows like Sneaky Pete or The Man in the High Castle, you’ll probably find yourself looking for other HDR content anywhere you can find it. (I recommend Chef’s Table on Netflix as just one piece of demo material.) A logo briefly appears in the top right to confirm whenever HDR content is being played.

Gamers will also be satisfied, because the P-Series offers some of the lowest input lag around on a 4K TV when you toggle on the game mode setting. Doing so disables full-array local dimming, and Roku plainly admits that picture quality takes a slight hit, but I never really saw any obvious dip in my experience playing Xbox One S and PS4. Battlefield 1 was a joy, and I never noticed any delay whatsoever when pulling on the trigger.

Picture settings can be customized for each individual input, and the Roku remote doesn’t feel as restrictive as you might expect: you can pull up the TV’s settings with the asterisk button for all the common adjustments (brightness, picture mode, etc.) and switch over to the Roku smartphone app if you want deeper calibration options. The mobile app can also be used just like the physical remote. It’s got the same simple layout and even the option to listen privately by syncing audio from streaming apps to your phone — just like if you had headphones plugged into the actual remote.

There are areas where the P-Series budget price introduces some compromises. For one, the TV’s viewing angles are very unforgiving, with blacks and colors getting washed out as you move away from a center, straight-on position. They never degrade to the point of being unwatchable, but it’s clearly noticeable. If you’re planted on a couch in front of the TV, you won’t see it. If you’re in the corner of a small room, you will. The built-in speakers are just okay, as is the status quo these days. And then there’s the matter of quality assurance. Disappointed buyers over at AVSforum are already reporting that they’ve received units with backlight bleed, uniformity issues, blooming, and other annoyances.

Not everyone is seeing such problems, and some say they’re basically unnoticeable when content is on the screen. My review TV exhibited no irregularities — though it’s always possible that TCL cherry-picked impeccable units for press reviews. It’s unclear whether these issues are due to mishandling during shipment or the so-called “panel lottery,” which is the simple reality that some TVs will come off the assembly line with better displays than others. This is common with inexpensive TVs, so it’s always worth inspecting a TV after purchase if any abnormalities would grate on you. TCL would do well to ramp up its customer service operations and have someone communicating with TV nerds on the forums like Vizio does.

Right now, Amazon is the exclusive seller of the 55-inch TCL P-Series — other sizes don’t ship until late 2017 — so I’d probably advise waiting until Best Buy also starts carrying it before you buy. The thing’s already out of stock on Amazon anyway. Go to a store and decide in person whether the viewing angles are a trade-off you can make. And if you get one with a flawed display, making an exchange is much easier. Should you end up with a good P-Series, though, you’ll get something that outperforms basically everything else at this price range and other TVs that cost hundreds more. It packages together all the modern features you’d want from a primary TV — 4K, HDR, great software, and apps — for a price that’s attainable for a whole lot of people. It’s maybe the first Roku TV that’s a great choice for just about everyone.

TCL P-SERIES 4K ROKU TV
VERGE SCORE: 8

GOOD STUFF

Fantastic 4K HDR picture quality
Affordable price
Roku’s software is fast and intuitive

BAD STUFF
Poor, off-center viewing angles
Typical lackluster TV speakers
Glossy black plastic is always a bad choice

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/1...best-budget-tv
10aosmer likes this.
post #17009 of 18280 Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

TV Review (Streaming)
‘GLOW’ on Netflix, Starring Alison Brie
By Sonia Saraiya, Variety.com

A rapturous half-hour period piece about an all-female pro-wrestling show that is neither precious nor nostalgic, "GLOW" is a gem of a debut

“GLOW,” a new Netflix half-hour, is a finely wrought period piece of an especially ahistoric-seeming time and place: 1985, on the fringes of Hollywood, in a moment both entirely recognizable and light years away. Everything that thrived in the ‘80s seems to have been as artificial as possible: Spandex, synthesizers, shoulder pads, extra-strong hairspray. It’s a decade of neon and fluorescence; it’s an era that literally glows.

No wonder it was the Golden Age of professional wrestling — a muscle-bound flourish of theatricality that is more soap opera than sport. The essence of wrestling is its artifice; its grandiose gestures and over-the-top stunts are meant to be only barely believable.

“GLOW” takes this arena of artifice and turns it into a story of feminine coming-of-age with a bright, engaging energy that balances tones with masterful skill. The show admires the glitz of the ‘80s — or at least, the way pop culture purports to remember the ‘80s — but frames it, with appealing intimacy, in the softer ‘70s that preceded it and the hyper-aware ‘90s to follow. “GLOW” is a story about creating camp appeal out of a washed-out, banal, and even somewhat dingy reality — unemployment, failed dreams of stardom, a fleabag motel on the fringes of Hollywood, and the acrid taste of middle age. It makes the creation of something totally synthetic into a story of individual empowerment and collective fascination. Best of all, it does all that without either self-aggrandizing or lionizing its characters.

“GLOW” — Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling — was a real-life program that ran from 1986 to 1990 out of Las Vegas, as chronicled in the 2012 documentary “GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.” Netflix’s “GLOW,” from executive producer Jenji Kohan and creators Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch, tells a (very) fictionalized version of GLOW, starting with lead Ruth Wilder (Alison Brie, in a typically stunning turn) a wannabe serious actor who is petulant about her own lack of consequence.

A series of desperate turns leads her to a casting call headed by bitter layabout Sam Sylvia (Marc Maron), a former B-movie writer-director who has somehow ended up scraping together a prospective women’s wrestling show for cash. Ruth keeps failing to impress Sam — until her best friend, Debbie Eagan (Betty Gilpin), a former soap star who left the industry to have a baby, finds out that Ruth slept with her husband. Debbie storms into the makeshift gym, hands off her baby to a bystander, jumps into the ring, and slaps Ruth across the face. Sam sees stars: “GLOW” cuts to his imagination, where Debbie and Ruth are two glittering glamazons in a beautifully choreographed dance of jealousy. That moment is the seed of his production’s ultimate success: Debbie, the blonde All-American mom, is his “face,” the hero the crowd roots for. Gratingly earnest Ruth, all wheedling and hard work, is his “heel”: the crowd’s favorite person to hate.

It would be so easy, in a show with such capacity for glam, to emphasize sparkle over substance. “GLOW” doesn’t make that mistake. Brie, Gilpin, and Maron — in his strongest performance outside his own stand-up persona — make for textured, complex leads, with a tough resilience to their relationships that is neither superficial nor sexy. For those who don’t know Gilpin’s talents, “GLOW” is a chance to witness her obvious star quality; for those familiar with Brie as a primarily “cute” character, her turn as Ruth uncovers a needy, sour, and resentful quality that she still manages to make winning. “GLOW” makes the destabilizing but fascinating choice of centering her narrative over Debbie’s, but as the show evolves, it increasingly makes sense: “GLOW” is drawn to the discomfort of self-acceptance and it is a longer and stranger journey to go from a method actress reciting Strindberg to a vulgar, Russian-accented wrestling villain who spends most of her energy making sure the other person on stage with her looks prettier, better, and stronger.

As is to be expected from a project where Kohan is involved, much of “GLOW’s” success is owed to its ensemble — a delightful collection of idiosyncrasies and backstories that is each identically desperate for recognition. A pittance and a little free rein allows many of these young women the first chance they’ve gotten to explore their identities. Because it’s wrestling — because it’s self-consciously campy — nearly every character has to start by confronting the most obvious stereotype about herself. The one Asian-American character, a Cambodian immigrant, is styled into the (Chinese-ish?) “Fortune Cookie.” Jenny (Ellen Wong) throws herself into every element of the outlandish stereotype. Similarly, African-American Tamee (Kia Stevens), a mom who’s seen her son off to Stanford’s medical school, is “The Welfare Queen,” a food-stamp brandishing dame who name-drops Reagan in the ring. They’re incredibly uncomfortable stereotypes — the lone Indian-American girl, Arthie (Sunita Mani), plays “Beirut,” a “Lebanese” “terrorist” — and usually, the characters themselves aren’t sure if they’re reinforcing prejudice or interrogating it.

But they’re still fired up. And why not? Whatever they’re doing in the ring, they’re active, not passive; they’re taking on a persona, instead of waiting for one to be grafted onto them. There’s something raw and beautiful about the mess of eager enthusiasm manifest in the women of GLOW; they seem to all be coming from and heading towards different directions, but at this crossroads, they just want to be something bigger and badder than themselves, with all the guttural grunting and hairspray they can muster. The ensemble includes a surprising range of talents: Kate Nash, the British singer-songwriter; Marianna Palka, the documentarian and filmmaker; Jackie Tohn, the former “American Idol” contestant.

“GLOW” is feminine, but not precious; period, but not nostalgic. It’s an honest show that is satisfyingly, surprisingly intimate. And — refreshingly — it eschews building up its women as sexualized totems, in order to observe how those women might pursue that process themselves. It’s a smart move; “GLOW” is a smart show. It’s precisely weighty enough, without the bloat and spotty pacing that characterizes other streaming shows. There’s an interesting disorientation to the editing and pacing that keeps the audience on its toes, and the neon lights and bright lycra make for easy, fun viewing coupled with quality storytelling. Much like this era in women’s wrestling, it is glorious and weird and different, and goes by way too quickly. At least with Netflix’s “GLOW,” we can hope for more.

'GLOW'
Comedy, 10 episodes (10 reviewed): Netflix, Fri. June 23. 30 min.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/reviews/t...ie-1202466608/
post #17010 of 18280 Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Broadcast)
ABC's 'The Toy Box' Renewed for Season 2
By Kate Stanhope, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Jun. 17, 2017

ABC is ready to dive back into The Toy Box.

The reality competition series, hosted by Eric Stonestreet, has been renewed for a second season.

ABC announced the pickup late Thursday, noting that production on the new episodes is already underway.

The Toy Box sees amateur toy inventors compete to have their idea made. However, they first must get the approval from a team of kid judges (after first being approved by several adult judges). The series is produced in partnership with toy giant Mattel, which will make and distribute the winning toy from season one (liquid 3-D art) at Toys R Us stores nationwide following the season finale.

The series was co-developed with Hudsun Media and Electus, with the latter handling international distribution. Its unclear when the series, which ran for an eight-episode first season, will return.

The Toy Box joins a growing stable of unscripted hits at the network, which is getting to revive reality behemoth American Idol in 2018. ABC's alternative lineup also includes game shows such as To Tell the Truth, Celebrity Family Feud, $100,000 Pyramid and the recently premiered Steve Harvey's Funderdome.

The network also boasts several long-running unscripted franchises, including Dancing With the Stars, which will spin off a kid-centered version next season, and The Bachelor, which is currently engulfed in scandal.

Next week, ABC will unveil two more alternative entries with the singing competition Boy Band a reboot of Battle of the Network Stars.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ason-2-1014170

TV Notes (Streaming)
Bill Nye's Netflix Talk Show Renewed for Season 2

Bill Nye will be back to save the world (again).

Netflix has renewed the famed scientist's talk show, titled Bill Nye Saves the World, for a second season.

Nye made the announcement Thursday on his Facebook page. "Saving the world turns out to be a big, complicated task, so we're coming back for Season 2," he wrote. "We want people to view issues in our society through the lens of science and to be inspired and informed about the role it plays in our everyday lives."

Premiering in April, the series hails from Bunim/Murray Productions. A return date will be announced later this year.

Bill Nye Saves the World explores science and its impact on politics, society and pop culture. Each half-hour episode tackles a different topic from a scientific point of view, dispelling myths and refuting anti-scientific claims that may be espoused by politicians, religious leaders or titans of industry.

During the first 13 episodes, Nye welcomed a wide range of celebrity guests, including Joel McHale, Rachel Bloom, Tim Gunn and Margaret Cho, in addition to correspondents, such as supermodel Karlie Kloss.

Nye's show comes nearly 20 years after the end of Bill Nye the Science Guy, which made the mechanical engineer a household name. The series ran on PBS and in syndication from 1993 to 1998, producing 100 half-hour episodes and winning 19 Emmys.

Bill Nye Saves the World is one of Netflix's two original talk shows, the other being Chelsea Handler's Chelsea, which underwent a creative revamp for season two. Competing streamer Hulu is also diving into the genre with Sarah Silverman's forthcoming I Love You, America.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ason-2-1013933
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page