"Powers" on Sony's Video Unlimited/Playstation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old 03-29-2015, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 277
"Powers" on Sony's Video Unlimited/Playstation

Anyone else watching Sony's first foray into original programming on its video streaming service with the super hero TV series "Powers"? I'm a Playstation Plus member and have been watching "Powers" for free.

I thought the first episode, which is available free for anyone on YouTube:
was a bit of a mess and hard to follow. It seemed like the show just kind of throws you into this world, where a fairly substantial number of everyday citizens openly use their super powers (some for good as "heroes" and others not so good), without much explanation.

However, having just watched the fifth episode, released this week, it's really hitting its stride, and this is becoming my favorite super hero-themed TV show right now -- and I pretty much watch them all (SHIELD, Arrow, Flash, Gotham, etc.).

It feels like a super hero show for adults, doing the kinds of things graphically and thematically that darker shows like Arrow and Gotham touch on, but can't really run with all the way.

Production values are very good, including special effects, with solid acting (Michelle Forbes and Eddie Izzard in regular supporting roles) and plenty of interesting characters.

It's a ten-episode season that you can purchase on Sony's Video Unlimited service for $25 (for HD), but if you have a Playstation device, you can do a one-month Playstation Plus membership for $10 and watch all the episodes once they are all released (five to go, released on a weekly basis).
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 03-29-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I haven't been reading good things about this... and I don't like the idea of having to subscribe to yet another unique service to get one TV show... so I'll be passing. If there's not another legal way to watch this without having to buy it sight-unseen, then I'll be passing. I did like the comic it is based on, so that's a shame if I don't see it... or if it is bad.
Sponsored Links
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page