American Odyssey - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-06-2015, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
American Odyssey

Has a lot of plot lines to keep it interesting, and reinforced my distrust of private contractors with weapons, the control behind them and the motivation of that control. In my day the had heavy equipment to hammers and nails. Its a new world and the show does looks interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-06-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 124
It reminded me a lot of Katherine Heigl's State Of Affairs, that said this show doesn't have a Katherine Heigl. It's not that I disliked this show, just don't see it going very far. I may be wrong but it seems like the whole season may be about the main female lead getting out of N. Africa? Sure other things will happen but my guess is thats the backbone of the series.
Phil, I share your distrust, with that you and I totally agree

post #3 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 356
We liked it and will keep watching it but a few things bothered me.

This ex-military group they hired. Why wouldn't they do a body count after the missile strike. Sure, there would be body parts all around but still, it doesn't vaporize everything. You would still count torso's, X number of feet/legs, etc. They just looked around and left like I don't see anyone so we are good. Very sloppy and wouldn't of really happened if it was that important to cover up.

Also, this trained military officer is so concerned with being heard/found that she takes her phone and doesn't spend the 1 second to slide the little button on the side of her phone to quiet it. It was an apple so it is there. Would take a whole second and could be done with one hand. Instead she keeps letting it make noise. Again, unbelievable given the need to be quiet.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've got it on the DVR and will watch soon,is there any word on State of Affairs if it will be back? I enjoyed it flaws and all and hope it comes back for another season.

Jerry
post #5 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 124
^^^I checked before my post above, I didn't see anything one way or another for S.O.A., seems like it's been a while since it's been on though.
Good points about the noisy phone WilliamR I also like how since it's a NBC program everyone has Apples I don't know but NBC and Apple must be tied somehow, I've noticed this a lot, NBC=Apple, oh and I caught how the news source they were quoiting during the show was NBC.....a little cross promotion I'd say.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I just find the title of this show "American Odyssey" amusing when they have a Brit playing the lead role.

post #7 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I watched this late last night. Couldn't sleep. Thought this would knock me out. But it was actually very interesting. Much better than state of affairs and allegiance. Her being chased by private us contractors is a nice twist along with the gov't conspiracy. Adebisi is always good. However, it was only one episode. Let's see how it goes.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I just find the title of this show "American Odyssey" amusing when they have a Brit playing the lead role.
Then this show has plenty of company. You know, it's a shame there's such a shortage of qualified, charismatic, good looking actors and actresses in Hollywood such that they have to go over to England and Australia to find the leads for all of these shows. I guess their American accents are better than actual Americans!

But in return we send them Gillian Anderson to play British roles, so I guess it evens out.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I watched the show on Hulu+, the 53 minute "Director's Cut." I may have to watch the broadcast version to see what was cut. I liked the show and it will be interesting to see where they take it. Hope a "director's cut" is available each week.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched the show on Hulu+, the 53 minute "Director's Cut." I may have to watch the broadcast version to see what was cut. I liked the show and it will be interesting to see where they take it. Hope a "director's cut" is available each week.
Thanks for the heads up,I just put it in my "Q" to watch.

Jerry
post #11 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what was cut also, 6 mins of a TV show is a whole bunch of missing time.

I thought the show was way beyond being believable, just too much dumb stuff to even be close to reality, but it does have Anna Friel, and for now, that's more than enough to keep me interested!
post #12 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I was surprised. The reviews were sparse and were not too positive. Ended up liking it. It's not perfect but it's better than a lot I've seen recently.

Hopefully Odelle Ballard will soon make the connection that every time she calls Colonel Glen someone tries to kill a shot time later.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I was about to watch it and had the DVR ready to go, but then saw the commercial that a woman was going to make the odyssey back to her family, and that just struck me the wrong way, and, since I already have more than enough to watch, I cancelled the recording.

Is anyone finding the show really good? If so, I may check if Comcast Video On Demand has it.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-08-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 231
"Rubicon" it's not but I still like to see networks daring to put some conspiracy based storylines up. In reality conspiracies happen and the public remains unaware due to coverups. Wonder if there will be a "director's cut" each week? It might just be the "foreign version" where they want 53 minute episodes.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-20-2015, 05:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The murder of Randall is going to be determined to be murder,since there will be no residue on the woman's hand. She never fired the gun. Very sloppy.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #16 of 16 Old 04-21-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
The murder of Randall is going to be determined to be murder,since there will be no residue on the woman's hand. She never fired the gun. Very sloppy.
The other oops was the suppressor attached to the pistol which he removed. It contains all of the residue fired forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming