2015 us open - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 06-15-2015, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
2015 us open

After NBC having the US open for so long it will be interesting to see the Fox version. Dan Hicks replaced by Joe Buck and Johnny Miller by Greg Norman. I would expect Fox to go all out production wise ,since they know their telecast will be compared to NBC by critics and fans alike. Hopefully there will be a lot of high crane shots to watch the balls in flight and not just a putting show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 752
The third round will be televised from 2-10 with the final round from 2-10:30. Any playoff will be held on Monday. I assume they're doing this for the west coast (I can't recall this being done before), but for those on the east coast you'll have to be very careful to avoid any sports or sports related news. I'll DVR the final 9 each day so that won't change anything, but I need to avoid everything after 7 so that I don't see the results. This should play well on the west coast but I'm not sure how the rest of the country will feel about, so it will be interesting to see the ratings. My first impression is that I really don't like it. A major with a playoff on Monday. Fail!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The US Open has always been that way regarding the playoff situation, it's 18 holes. A bigger issue for me is I'm usually DVRing on all 3 of my tuners on Sunday nights, but it may be ok this week.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
can't wait. i'm very curious how this course will work for a US Open. looks very much like a British Open course. my guess is the winner will be over par.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
The US Open has always been that way regarding the playoff situation, it's 18 holes.
Ah, okay. It's only happened twice in the past 21 years so it slipped my memory.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Ah, okay. It's only happened twice in the past 21 years so it slipped my memory.
And the last time, it was 2008, Tiger Woods vs. Rocco Mediate on Tiger's favorite course (Torrey Pines South). Tiger hobbling around for the entire week. He's never been the same since.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
And the last time, it was 2008, Tiger Woods vs. Rocco Mediate on Tiger's favorite course (Torrey Pines South). Tiger hobbling around for the entire week. He's never been the same since.
that was Tiger's last major win. seems like a lifetime ago. and his game is such a mess now i'd say he's about 50/50 to make the cut. i'd love to see Phil win. it would also be great if Jordan won and have a chance at the grand slam.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
that was Tiger's last major win. seems like a lifetime ago. and his game is such a mess now i'd say he's about 50/50 to make the cut. i'd love to see Phil win. it would also be great if Jordan won and have a chance at the grand slam.
Current odds are a little less than that right now.

"Will Tiger Woods make the cut?

Yes: +110
No: -140

Wait, Tiger is favored to miss the cut?! I'll definitely bet against that."

Above from CBS sports.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
That didn't help. I don't think he has been the same since his infidelities came to light (2009) after he crashed his Escalade. His sponsorship and image took a huge hit, and then his marriage ended a year later. His biggest advantage over other players was his mental game, and those incidents were a huge embarrassment and took a mental toll on him. Then the injuries stared pilling up and here we are.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
I remember telling some other bent elbows at a bar, way back in '97 after his crushing Masters win, that Tiger would never break Jack's major record because his body, especially his back, was bound to break down, what with all the tremendous torque he put on his slight frame.

Sure enough. It started with his left knee which has to resist all that rotation and has migrated to his back. Hips are next (ask Nicklaus). He's a physical mess and it's only going to get worse. He's done. And that's before you get to the mess in his head.
John dhein likes this.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Will Tiger bow out gracefully? I doubt it. He's just deep down too much the competitor.

He's got a long wait (he's only 38) to get qualified for the Champions Tour.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Old 06-18-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Phil looking good early. the greens are playing fairly easy so far. i'm sure they will only get faster as the week goes on.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
The third round will be televised from 2-10 with the final round from 2-10:30. Any playoff will be held on Monday. I assume they're doing this for the west coast (I can't recall this being done before), but for those on the east coast you'll have to be very careful to avoid any sports or sports related news. I'll DVR the final 9 each day so that won't change anything, but I need to avoid everything after 7 so that I don't see the results. This should play well on the west coast but I'm not sure how the rest of the country will feel about, so it will be interesting to see the ratings. My first impression is that I really don't like it. A major with a playoff on Monday. Fail!

In the Seattle area, sunset is well after 9pm PDT, which is past midnight EDT. Fox is merely covering the action live. They are hoping for some good Primetime ratings. As for a playoff, the US Open has used an 18-hole playoff on Monday for quite some time.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Everyone likes a train wreck...right? Well, not me. Following and featuring the train wreck that was the Woods' threesome yesterday all the way to the end was excruciatingly bad golf viewing. Enough already, Fox. Lots of terrific golf out there, why not show more of it?

On another note: my only option on TW to Fox Sports Network were two channels, both of which were not HD. Is there an HD Fox Sports I am missing? The low res golf is pathetic.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-19-2015, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Everyone likes a train wreck...right? Well, not me. Following and featuring the train wreck that was the Woods' threesome yesterday all the way to the end was excruciatingly bad golf viewing. Enough already, Fox. Lots of terrific golf out there, why not show more of it?

On another note: my only option on TW to Fox Sports Network were two channels, both of which were not HD. Is there an HD Fox Sports I am missing? The low res golf is pathetic.
1317? That's HD in Milwaukee.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Tiger +10 on Thursday. He's +1 today. Projected cut line is +2. Yeah, he's done.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The thing the media learned about Tiger was never count him out. If he can't recover from his injuries then yes he's done. Now for the mental part Bobby Jones said golf is played on a 6" course between the ears. In golf your either building confidence or tearing it down, if your a accomplished golfer you know it doesn't take much to tear your confidence down. Tiger's confidence is at a all time low, but he can get that back. Watching lack of confidence is really sad to watch and if you follow Lucas Glover putting yips that's really painful to see and destroy's a good golf game.

These are just my opinions.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Anybody else getting recurrent audio dropouts on both FS1 and Fox broadcasts of the Open? Very annoying here on Comcast in the ATL. No video glitches, just audio drops.

And they need to lose that stupid rover cam on the ground, it's completely pointless tech for the sake of it IMO.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
The thing the media learned about Tiger was never count him out. If he can't recover from his injuries then yes he's done. Now for the mental part Bobby Jones said golf is played on a 6" course between the ears. In golf your either building confidence or tearing it down, if your a accomplished golfer you know it doesn't take much to tear your confidence down. Tiger's confidence is at a all time low, but he can get that back. Watching lack of confidence is really sad to watch and if you follow Lucas Glover putting yips that's really painful to see and destroy's a good golf game.
For Tiger all I can say is that karma is a bitch. He will never catch Jack and will always be #2 all-time in my book.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Between the course and the coverage this is a mess. I miss Johnny Miller.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Last edited by holt7153; 06-20-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
Between the course and the coverage this is a mess. I miss Johnny Miller.

it sucks, but there's no reason to go overboard. Miller sucks more.

Quit failing to flip the switch
Old 06-21-2015, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 92
There is nothing wrong with the course. The fault lies with the whiny little B's playing it.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Fox's team is awful, worst I've ever listened to. Johnny Miller is the best golf announcer EVER! He just say's whats on his mind, no sugar coating. This golf course is as bad as Fox's team. I just hate this years US Open. Maybe its time to dump the US Open as a major. If you look past Jordan's baby face you can see that he's a great athlete, he is special but Dustin should win this, the course is made for him.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't think being the Second Best of All Time is a failure. He was the most dominate of his time period. I am amazed at the amount of schadenfreude shown at Tiger's downfall. Networks should treat him like any other 10 over player.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Fox's team is awful, worst I've ever listened to. Johnny Miller is the best golf announcer EVER! He just say's whats on his mind, no sugar coating...
I like Miller for the reason you stated, but liked Curtis Strange better for the same reasons, yet neither can come close to Henry "Oh, that was wretched!" Longhurst. I miss the levity of David Feherty and Gary McCord, the later especially because the stuffed-shirts at The Masters hated and banned him for it.

Before the top groups teed off yesterday, a panel was discussing Patrick Reed being at the top. One journalist alluded to his "past," and he said he dismissed the past and looked to his performance. That got me to wondering, as the only thing I had heard was his "I'm one of the top five golfers" statement. So, I looked it up. They also announced him playing out of Houston, where I lived and played the game for many years. I was curious where he settled there. Never found out, but from the article, this guy is perhaps one of the biggest annual apertures in golf.

http://deadspin.com/how-patrick-reed...ian-1682766305

Incidentally, I can never remember so many camera crews, so intrusively in the shots from other cameras. They must be far worse for the players than the trains.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by Distorted; 06-21-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been enjoying Fox's extended U.S. Open coverage. Image quality OTA in South Florida has been good, with only an occasional audio blip.

Realizing golf is a new venture for them, I'm willing to let most of the 'glitches' slide. A glaring deficiency is their inability to pick up the ball in flight off the tee on the 18th hole but that may well be due to the topography of the course itself.

I enjoy the distinct look and play of the course. I wouldn't want to see it every week but it is an interesting change of pace.

Sergio Garcia has been very critical of the greens and while in studio after his second round, he clarified his remarks. He said.... [Paraphrasing]..’this is a major event and the condition of the greens does not allow the best players to execute with precision’.

He used the analogy of playing the NBA finals on an uneven court with holes in the floor. I seem to remember they did play the NBA finals on a court, just like that, in the old Boston Gardens during the Celtics heyday.

Difference being the imperfections of the Garden’s floor may have been a slight edge to the Celtics since they played on it all the time and were aware of the rough spots. This golf course, for the most part, is equally evil.

The above is just my humble opinion.

Regards,

-Gary
Old 06-21-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Gary Player: Worst Golf Course ever seen !

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13119112

The Augusta National course makes the Chambers Bay course look like a superfund site.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ay-golf-course
Old 06-21-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Great article you posted Distorted! Sounds like Patrick Reed is a true rebel.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Sounds like Patrick Reed is a true rebel.
or a true !@#$%^&*

Good article-I knew very little about him before this. I thought I heard yesterday that a few people booed him and I didn't know why.

In dog beers, I've only had one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement