POLDARK on PBS - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By philw1776
  • 2 Post By Garrett Adams

post #1 of 13 Old 07-04-2015, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 118
POLDARK on PBS

Watched the 1st 2 episodes. Being a fan of the original, I was prepared to dislike the new cast as just pretty faces but Ross and his loves were decent. I think that several of the secondary characters weren't as well acted as they were the old show. The biggest deficiency is that the story line is too compressed with far fewer episodes. The scenery is excellent in HDTV. The NETFLIX stream of the original has horrible picture quality.
Young C likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-04-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I don't recall watching the original but I really liked the first two episodes of this remake. For some reason the title makes me think of Poldark and handsome.
Young C and jjeff like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-05-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I watched the first two episodes from PBS. 'Sort of like' Downton, but different. It was very well done. I'm not usually a fan of historical dramas. But BBC1 did this one right.

So I watched the rest of the episodes (from the BBC1), and it was well worth watching. Unless you can't stand to see a lot of suffering. But 1760's UK was not utopia.

No spoilers for US watchers.

From a technical standpoint, I was impressed with how they made Demelza look like she had no female breasts. In every side view, she could have been a boy. I had to go to IMDB to see she is a normal woman. Kudos to those who did that.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 136
What impresses me as much as anything else is the excellent picture quality. As Downton Abby is sometimes overly dark and colors subdued, Poldark is breathtakingly beautiful, bright colorful scenes with gorgeous scenery, almost like one was there. Now my local PBS does have quite good 1080i HD but this is some of the best I've seen, kudos to whoever shot this and the cameras used. Wonder if it could have been shot in 4K.....
Grittree, I agree with you about how Demelza looks in this show but why would they have done that, I'm confused
post #5 of 13 Old 07-05-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I agree with you about how Demelza looks in this show but why would they have done that, I'm confused
I don't know either. I assume the producers or directors decided on that to keep the focus on other things. Even Elizabeth never looked "sexy". Even the hookers were subdued. Maybe because this wasn't aimed at the American audience which needs to be tittilated.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
What impresses me as much as anything else is the excellent picture quality. As Downton Abby is sometimes overly dark and colors subdued, Poldark is breathtakingly beautiful, bright colorful scenes with gorgeous scenery, almost like one was there. Now my local PBS does have quite good 1080i HD but this is some of the best I've seen, kudos to whoever shot this and the cameras used. Wonder if it could have been shot in 4K.....
Grittree, I agree with you about how Demelza looks in this show but why would they have done that, I'm confused
Both Downton and Poldark are shot on Arri Alexa, so it's likely to be creative decisions rather than technical limitations that make them look so different. Poldark looked cracking on BBC One HD in the UK.

For fans of the original series, keep an eye out for the original Poldark. In a very classy touch, they cast him (Robin Ellis) in another role.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-06-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
Both Downton and Poldark are shot on Arri Alexa, so it's likely to be creative decisions rather than technical limitations that make them look so different. Poldark looked cracking on BBC One HD in the UK.
Thanks for commenting sneals2000, I was hoping you'd watch this show and see my post. Yes I suppose it's just a creative thing but personally I'm a fan of shooting things at their best(in my opinion) and not dialing them down but it is what it is. I still like Downton a lot but for me the picture quality doesn't add a lot as where on Poldark it's almost center stage, for me at least
I'm just happy were getting so many UK programs so close to OAD, where in the past we were generally behind a few(or more) years.

Sneals2000, not to get too OT in this thread but do you get The Doctor Blake Mysteries in the UK? Our PBS is currently airing the first(2013) series and it's the only airing of a recent Australian program I'm aware of. I miss the scenery of places like Yorkshire or Cornwall and I'm not so keen on the Australian accent(at one time I couldn't tell the difference between a English and Australian accent but now it's night and day) but I am enjoying it. The only other real airing of a Australian show I can think of is a girls program about mermaids my kids use to watch a few years back. Anyway Dr. Blake is shot similar to Downton, darker darks and subdued colors, again probably a creative decision as apposed to equipment used.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-06-2015, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
I watched the first two episodes from PBS. 'Sort of like' Downton, but different. It was very well done. I'm not usually a fan of historical dramas. But BBC1 did this one right.

So I watched the rest of the episodes (from the BBC1), and it was well worth watching. Unless you can't stand to see a lot of suffering. But 1760's UK was not utopia.

No spoilers for US watchers.

From a technical standpoint, I was impressed with how they made Demelza look like she had no female breasts. In every side view, she could have been a boy. I had to go to IMDB to see she is a normal woman. Kudos to those who did that.
Don't forget that when we first meet Demelza she has disguised herself as a boy. Having a boyish figure would certainly go a long way to help pull that off. I'm not familiar with Eleanor Tomlinson and have no idea what kind of shape she has, but at least in the early going the dresses she has been given to wear are less than flattering. I'm a big fan of the original and so far I like what I'm seeing for the most part. The three leads are very good and the only actor that I feel is miscast is the guy playing cousin Francis. I'm hoping that this time around they get to do all the books in the Poldark series, which is something the original didn't come close to achieving.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for commenting sneals2000, I was hoping you'd watch this show and see my post. Yes I suppose it's just a creative thing but personally I'm a fan of shooting things at their best(in my opinion) and not dialing them down but it is what it is. I still like Downton a lot but for me the picture quality doesn't add a lot as where on Poldark it's almost center stage, for me at least
I'm just happy were getting so many UK programs so close to OAD, where in the past we were generally behind a few(or more) years.

Sneals2000, not to get too OT in this thread but do you get The Doctor Blake Mysteries in the UK?
Yes - the BBC have an afternoon drama slot which carries a couple of homegrown series (Doctors, Land Girls, Father Brown, The Afternoon Play) and also shows like The Doctor Blake Mysteries. The lead actor in Doctor Blake was an actor in an Australian soap (Neighbours) which was very big in the UK, and then moved here to star in a couple of UK series. I quite enjoy it.
Quote:
Our PBS is currently airing the first(2013) series and it's the only airing of a recent Australian program I'm aware of.
We get a lot of Aussie shows in the UK. We share quite a similar cultural heritage - and most of us Brits have no real issues with the Aussie accent.

Quote:
I miss the scenery of places like Yorkshire or Cornwall and I'm not so keen on the Australian accent(at one time I couldn't tell the difference between a English and Australian accent but now it's night and day) but I am enjoying it. The only other real airing of a Australian show I can think of is a girls program about mermaids my kids use to watch a few years back. Anyway Dr. Blake is shot similar to Downton, darker darks and subdued colors, again probably a creative decision as apposed to equipment used.
I think there is a 'period' look which many shows use to avoid looking 'present day' - but Poldark is so set in the Cornish countryside they couldn't grade it for dark and gloomy, and decided to go for warm and sunny, with lush countryside shots popping. It got a lot of favourable comments for avoiding the trend of gloominess.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
Yes - the BBC have an afternoon drama slot which carries a couple of homegrown series (Doctors, Land Girls, Father Brown, The Afternoon Play) and also shows like The Doctor Blake Mysteries.
This Saturday evening PBS is running the Father Brown series 1 (2013). With series 2 and 3 in the can I can see this being a long run on PBS.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
This Saturday evening PBS is running the Father Brown series 1 (2013). With series 2 and 3 in the can I can see this being a long run on PBS.
My local PBS is currently airing series 3(314 this week) on Friday nights. I do like FB and have been watching since series 1 but consider it more fluff than many of the other UK programming I watch. I'm always amazed how such a small town has so many murders
post #12 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My local PBS is currently airing series 3(314 this week) on Friday nights. I do like FB and have been watching since series 1 but consider it more fluff than many of the other UK programming I watch. I'm always amazed how such a small town has so many murders
Yep - it's worth remembering that Father Brown airs at 2.15pm on BBC One. It's very daytime here, both in content and budget. Most of the other UK shows you get are prime time shows - Downton, Poldark etc. - that are broadcast much later, and have far higher budgets.

Series 4 is apparently filming this summer.
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Just found out that Angharad Rees, Demelza from the 70s version passed away in 2013 at age 68

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...s-dies-4806772
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page