Astronaut Wives Club on ABC HD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By rebkell
  • 1 Post By rezzy
  • 1 Post By Pat Barr
  • 1 Post By MRM4
post #1 of 15 Old 07-17-2015, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Astronaut Wives Club on ABC HD

Anybody watching this show? I like it a lot, but I've always liked shows set in the 50's and 60's anyway. I doubt I would have even watched if someone didn't mention in another thread that Dominique McElligott(Lily Bell from Hell on Wheels) was on it.

Just wondering if there are any plans to keep it or if it's just planned as a one time summer filler, if so I hope it at least makes it's scheduled 10 episodes.
andwhatnot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-17-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Reminds me of that failed show they had a few summers ago (Pan Am?). You know: rockin' the hair-doos, mini-skirts, hotpants and whatnot. I'm afraid all of that cannot override weak writing.
jjeff likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Reminds me of that failed show they had a few summers ago (Pan Am?). You know: rockin' the hair-doos, mini-skirts, hotpants and whatnot. I'm afraid all of that cannot override weak writing.
I don't know why I like this one, maybe because it's about the space program and I was in grammar school and high school when it all kicked off. I watched an episode or two of Pan Am and didn't care for it at all.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I like it a lot, but I've always liked shows set in the 50's and 60's anyway. I doubt I would have even watched if someone didn't mention in another thread that Dominique McElligott(Lily Bell from Hell on Wheels) was on it.
You're welcome! For those who enjoyed Chuck, Yvonne Strahovski also co-stars. I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would and I was too young to remember Mercury and Gemini and learning more about those flights is nice.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 105
In the mid 80's there was a movie called all the right stuff that covered the same thing only in 2 hour time frame. This is interesting in as munch that a lot of the of what went on with the families is documented. I like the show, and happy to see Yvonne Strahovski back on tv. There is that red head, JoAnna Garcia Swisher that looks like Amy Adams that I have not noticed before. Googled her and found she has done a lot. Were have I been?

Last edited by Phil17108; 07-18-2015 at 04:57 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
JoAnna Garcia Swisher played Julie Shepard, daughter of Alan Shepard in From the Earth to the Moon mini series in 1998.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I enjoy this series quite a bit. I was a teenager during the "space race" of the '60's. So, this show has some relevance for me. I also like the attention to detail of the show----the percolator coffee maker, the 1960 Chevy's they drive (both convertible and wagons and the Corvettes), the hair styles and dress styles, telephones, styles of houses (interiors/exteriors), the REAL CRT TV's they use, etc.. For some reason, JoAnna Swisher also reminds me of Rose McIver when she has her natural hair color (iZombie). Once again, I enjoy this series.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-06-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure there a lot of continuity errors, but the one that stood out tonight was having a large blowup of one of the Apollo 8 Earthrise photos in the background shortly after the Apollo 1 fire.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I, too, was a kid during the Space Race. I think Wives Club is pretty entertaining; much better than some other historical dramas like Pan Am and Manhattan. I've seen "The Right Stuff" (which got mixed reviews from the astronauts when it came out), HBO's From the Earth to the Moon and read "The Race" and also an Alan Shepard biography called "Light This Candle" (really good) and the history is reasonably good, plus the show looks very good as well. Some of the story lines are probably invented, but seem true to life to me. I kind of doubt that all the astronaut wives were that babe-o-liscious though

They are jumping pretty quickly through time, so I get the idea they're trying to wrap things up over the summer.
andwhatnot likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-06-2015, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought it was a good show tonight, very sad, I do get the impression they only plan on this being a one and done series or at least giving it a good season ender, I believe they did say only one more episode before the finale.

As far as Manhattan, I really do like it and am looking forward to it coming back later this year, that was one of my favorite shows this entire season.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-13-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
I'm sure there a lot of continuity errors, but the one that stood out tonight was having a large blowup of one of the Apollo 8 Earthrise photos in the background shortly after the Apollo 1 fire.
Ha. I noticed that too.

Decent show. It sure beats re-runs, "reality shows", or most of the other junk the networks roll out in the summer. I probably wouldn't have kept watching it if not for the collection of ladies on the show.
jjeff likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The last episode was a nice end to the series. I'm glad I watched it. One thing that amused me was while there was a lot of burning cigarettes, no one inhaled.
post #13 of 15 Old Today, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've just finished viewing the final episode. I've really enjoyed the entire series. And, I feel that this last episode was EXCEPTIONAL!! I'm quite sorry to see this series go away. But, I don't see how it could be expanded to another season. All the acting, set-dressing, hair styles, clothes fashions, cars was just spot-on! The voice-over at the end (that told of what happened to everyone) I thought was quite touching and a great way to end to series. Once again, I liked this series and am sorry to see it end. My hat is off to all that worked on this show.
post #14 of 15 Old Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I've just finished viewing the final episode. I've really enjoyed the entire series. And, I feel that this last episode was EXCEPTIONAL!! I'm quite sorry to see this series go away. But, I don't see how it could be expanded to another season. All the acting, set-dressing, hair styles, clothes fashions, cars was just spot-on! The voice-over at the end (that told of what happened to everyone) I thought was quite touching and a great way to end to series. Once again, I liked this series and am sorry to see it end. My hat is off to all that worked on this show.
I liked it as well, but I'm a space nut. If you liked this series, you would love the episode "First Wives Club" from the Earth to the Moon series on HBO (back in the 90's). They also had a "where they are now" summary at the end of that episode for many of the wives (not just the original Mercury 7). Unfortunately, we've lost many more astronauts since that series aired.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED (coming soon)
post #15 of 15 Unread Today, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 105
That last episode of wives club is great, and like the rest of them was also a bit of a trip down memory lane. There are about half a dozen events that I always remember where was and what was doing. The moon landing is one of them. I was about a dozen clicks off the Cambodian border getting cleaned up before getting some sleep before that nights mission. Do you remember?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page