Rose Bowl Parade Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is odd...I get no signal what-so-ever on 9-1...STB won't even pick it up...was fine a few minutes ago.

Maybe my STB is having a moment, I'll try and rescan the channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2003, 10:35 AM

Wow!!!! The Rose Bowl Parade on Channel 5 WB Digital Ch. 53 in Long Beach (30 miles from the actual parade site in Pasadena) is STUNNING in 16:9 high def. Also, 5.1 Dolby Digital. What a treat!!! I hope others are enjoying the spectacular Rose Bowl parade in High Def. If not, lets hope 2004 will bring new participants to the arena. Happy New Year!!

p.s. The Zenith web site and Titan web site are WRONG!!! The CBS, NBC and ABC feeds are not high def! Only WB Ch. 53 from what I can "see."
Old 01-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

It appears the WGN lost the feed a few times, but got it back. Signal strength was still normal, just with no pix or sound.
It seems to be back to normal now.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:44 AM

Parade on discovery home theater is awesome. no commercials and the picture is fantastic. i think it is from KTLA.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not a parade person but I had to catch the Rose Parade in HD on Discovery HD. Great picture, but that commentary! I think that's some of the most inane commentary I have every heard. Do you know the difference between moths and butterflies or the difference between octupi
and squid? Why can't they just describe the floats (if they have to) and let the pictures speak for themselves? The picture quality was great (I'm no longer watching) but the commentary spoiled it for me. I quess the solution is just to turn the audior of-but I'd rather watch football.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:54 AM

KTWB-DT channel 25(13-2) in Seattle has the KTLA broadcast in HD.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

With the exception of a few Glitches during the broadcast...

Thank you " Chicago " WGN HD 9-1 !!

How is HDTV going to catch on, if the Broadcasters can't get their act together and present programming in HD that reaches so many viewers ?;)

Denon AVR-1613
Cambridge Audio " Azur-650c
REGA RP-1 Turntable
Yaqin MS-22b Pre-amp
SILK MC-13S Integrated Power Amp
B&W 685 S2 Speakers
Old 01-01-2003, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally posted by Mary H
Same thing here in Sacramento. Darn!

Edit: Forgot to mention, it's gorgeous on Discovery HD Theater! I wish I could record it for my family who's coming over this afternoon. Anyone know what happened to the DHD Theater schedule on line? I can't seem to find it this morning.
I am able to get to the DHDT schedule site... but they did not list the Parade coverage at all.

Here's to wishing for the Dish921 PVR in 2003... So we can preserve programming like this!

Hammer
Old 01-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Am I the only one who can see the bad pixelisation when there is fast(well not slow!) movement?

The OTA KTLA HD feed is NOT a full 19MBit/Sec feed, how else can they have two 1080i channels showing the same thing? The second channel usually has spanish audio on some network programming.

Is the satellite feed a different one?

It looks the same as KCET PBC's HD feed since they went multicasting.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

I watched the Rose Parade on 13.2, but that's digital 18, not 25. I can't receive 25 today (it's raining), but 18 always comes in gangbusters here near Anacortes. I had lots of audio dropouts and some motion artifacts. But, the video, in general, was very good.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Yup, and I presume Discovery HD managed to keep the Rose Parade off HDNet. Discovery's Travel Channel also carried the KTLA Rose Parade, but in unusually fuzzy SD.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:30 PM

The HD from KTLA looked great here in Glendale, Ca...and the added benefit of being in the flight path allowed us to watch the B-2 and F-117s on the Plasma and then step outside and watch as they flew directly over the house....now you talk about High Definition!!!!

Happy New Year,
John
Old 01-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by km6jv
The HD from KTLA looked great here in Glendale, Ca...and the added benefit of being in the flight path allowed us to watch the B-2 and F-117s on the Plasma and then step outside and watch as they flew directly over the house....now you talk about High Definition!!!!
Happy New Year,
John
Hah! I'm jealous. I used to live in Studio City and know what you're talking about. I used to produce radio coverage of the parade for KFWB.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by kc51295
i am not getting HD on nbc, cbs, or abc here in detroit what gives ?? anyone else here in detroit getting it???
No. It was not on the local stations in HD. See Tribune Broadcasting, KTLA, WGN & More To Air Rose Parade In HDT for details on where it was on in HDTV. The only national HD broadcast was Discovery HD.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 01-01-2003, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Rose Parade looked GREAT coming from my Discovery HD channel over Dish. Thanks Discovery Channel. I had friends over for Eggs Benedict and Mimosas and they were all impressed with the HD picture of the parade (and my Eggs Benedict too). I have been waiting for several years to be able to see the Rose Parade in HD here in Albuquerque.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
No. It was not on the local stations in HD. See Tribune Broadcasting, KTLA, WGN & More To Air Rose Parade In HDT for details on where it was on in HDTV. The only national HD broadcast was Discovery HD.
This is the sort of national event that could really sell HDTV to the masses. I think it's pathetic that the networks could not work together to bring the parade in HD to a larger audience. Discovery HD Theater is not available to those who live in areas where the cable systems don't offer HD service or to those who live in buildings where satellite dishes aren't allowed. They couldn't even manage to air at least one bowl game in HD, then they sit around and whine about the lack of a "business model" for HDTV. Did they ever hear the expression, "Build it and they will come"?
Old 01-01-2003, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dhp
4:3 low def in Boston also. No wonder HDTV is getting a slow start with the general public: It's not easy to find out what is supposed to be in HDTV and when you do find out, it's often wrong. I'm getting tired of getting my family and friends excited about watching something in HDTV only to end up watching a standard signal.
But it was in Hi-def in Boston!
(as noted in Monday in the Boston tower thread).
Also, www.wlvi.com had the announcement and links to it on their website.

The PQ (and rare dropouts!) were the same on 41-1 as with the Discovery-HD feed on Dish Network or the direct Discovery-HD feed on C-Band.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:42 PM

I wanted to add my kudos to HD Discovery Theater for coverage of the Rose Parade it looked GREAT on the Dish HD6000 and the Mits WS-55805.

Thanks Discovery !!!!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 05:42 PM

Watched the Rose Bowl parade this morning with the family on WGN-DT on 9-1. There was a few glitches but overall the PQ was stunning. Thanks WGN.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:48 PM

Absolutely awesome on DHDT on Charter 777. A few dropouts but nothing too disruptive. My receiver did get a 5.1DD lock but the only sound I could hear came out of the front three channels. Probably just how they miced the street.

This was my MIL's first glimpse at HDTV. Her first remark was that she could see the pimple on one of the band member's faces.

Thank you Charter and DHDT!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Good: Overall picture quality and the source material was some of the best I have seen.

Bad: Production. When will the HD camara men and producers figure out that HD cannot be produced like SD? Most of the shots were too tight and too short. I don't think there was a single frmed shot that lasted for more than 3 seconds. It was extremely difficult to follow. When I saw a particular float I wanted to see the detail of which really makes viewing by HD worthwhile it was distracting and irritating to have the shot move to another camara for 3 seconds and then come back. The pace of camara switching was just too fast!

Ugly: Commentary. Whoaa! Where did these people come from? Especially the woman. Also pixelization. The pixelization was absolutely horrible. Especially with the bright reds. There has to be something wrong with industry standard MPEG encoders or decoders (similar to the Chroma bug for DVD players). It doesn't make sense to me that red should be particularly sensitive to pixelization. Of course the pixelization was probably a secondary effect of the horrible super fast camara switching I already mentioned. Faster panning shots and changing shots must really tax the bitstream. Thus more pixelization.

My $.02

The Idiot
Old 01-01-2003, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
KRON had a great 4x3 HD quality picture in San Francisco. The were the
NBC affiliate but are independent now. Thanks KRON!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
WB in Seattle showed the parade in HD - COMMERCIAL FREE!!! I don't know how they did this, but it held me captive for 2-1/2 hours! I didn't even change channels to see what else was on.

True - there was pretty bad pixelation in areas of fast movement, but WB doesn't have a high bitrate broadcast anyway.

Overall, many kudos to WB!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:45 AM
cnz

Does anyone know if Disc Hd will rebroadcast this? I had to work:(
Old 01-02-2003, 12:23 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This broadcast definately help sell my wife on HD. The difference between the SD and HD broadcasts was stunning.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One of the great pleasures of the New Year here is fetching the paper off the lawn in the A.M., looking up to see a B2 bomber circling overhead in anticipation of it's swoop over Colorado Boulevard, and then settling in to watch KTLA-DT's hi-def broadcast of the parade. We found the off-the-air digital broadcast to have slightly better picture quality than the feed (last year) from HDNet. Dolby Digital seemed better this year, with improved microphone placement. We clearly heard voices and cheers emanating from the speakers behind us. Just like being in the grandstands!! Later in the evening, between bowl games, we tuned to the KTLA analog (cable) re-broadcast of the parade and the PQ was truly horrible....thanks for spoiling us KTLA!
Old 01-02-2003, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I watched both the KTLA and Discovery HD broadcast. Both were transmitting in 5.1 but only KTLA had the rear channels active. Somewhere in the Discovery feed they lost the two rear channels.

On the KTLA version a guy kept yelling Happy New Year in the left rear channel. This and much of the other crowd noise was missing from the Discovery HD version. Both were spectacular. Thank you KTLA and Discovery HD.

Another side note. The L.A.Times TV log said the parade would be rebroadcast continuously until the 10:00 PM news. This was true of the digital HD version but the analog version had switched to regular programming when I checked at 9:00 PM.

Rick R