AVS Forum banner

Pacific Warriors

1K views 29 replies 5 participants last post by  oink 
#1 ·
I started to watch a new series on The Discovery Channel called Pacific Warriors.

This is a very interesting "reality" show.
Basically, it is about fishing from kayaks in Hawaii and the trials and tribulations of a champion spearfishing woman.
As a fisherman and admitted Hawaii junkie, I have found it to be very interesting and entertaining.

This is fishing NOT for the faint-hearted.
The kayakers often go far off-shore.
Unfortunately, this is the domain of sharks and dangerous seas.:eek:
I love to fish and like the idea of trying earn some $$$ at the same time, but I would NEVER try to fish from a kayak in Hawaii....NO FRICKIN' WAY (swine don't do sharks).

The goal is to catch large and high-priced fish to sell at a profit and/or to feed themselves and families (the woman is only after food for the table).
Marlin, sailfish, tuna, mahi-mahi, etc. are their targets.

Why kayaks?
No doubt it is because they can't afford an actual boat.
Having been to the islands many times, I have noticed very few docks are available (which would probably make the moorage fees eye-popping).
Also, fuel is very expensive.
With a kayak all of that goes away...
Throw the thing on top of your vehicle and head to a beach to launch.

Here are some trailers:

See less See more
#2 ·
Yup, love this new series. Great to have a new show not based in Alaska, although still following several. As a former scuba/snorkel diver (long ago), nice to watch the woman diver spear fish for her dinner and friends. Don't think if I'd encountered sharks I'd follow her procedure in the last episode and swim directly at them. Couldn't have matched her 4-minute dive time either.

Seems a bit crazy about the territory boat-fishing conflicts the series keeps bringing up; it sounds equivalent to urban gangs killing or pulverizing each other over block territories. And oh yes, had to wonder if anyone has coated their kayak surface area, or both for the double-hull versions, with solar cells to drive an electric motor/propeller(s) rather than fighting the currents with their foot pumping and paddles. -- John

#3 ·
Don't think if I'd encountered sharks I'd follow her procedure in the last episode and swim directly at them.
I wondered about this too.
My first thought is it's counter-intuitive.
OTOH, it just may cause a shark to believe it has suddenly become prey instead of predator causing it to leave the area?
Sharks are not the TOP predator in the sea.
Orcas can and do kill them....even big sharks.

Seems a bit crazy about the territory boat-fishing conflicts the series keeps bringing up; it sounds equivalent to urban gangs killing or pulverizing each other over block territories.
I think this is all B.S. to add drama to the series by the showrunners.
We're talking about a OCEAN here, not a rock or sandbar along fav river or lake.
Anyone who tries to claim part of the OCEAN is their personal fishing grounds would get a serious beatdown in the real world.
IF this really is the case, those Hawaiian boys better hope they NEVER run into fishermen from the mainland on vacation.;)

And oh yes, had to wonder if anyone has coated their kayak surface area, or both for the double-hull versions, with solar cells to drive an electric motor/propeller(s) rather than fighting the currents with their foot pumping and paddles. -- John
Having a sail also helps a lot.
We know the Polynesians immigrated to the Islands about 1,000 years ago, perhaps even earlier.

#5 · (Edited)
^^^Yeah, you're probably right about the attempted-drama factor with some dudes threatening others over fishing territories. No doubt, from the island slopes etc., some areas produce more giant deep-water sail fish or tuna, or just standard fish for local sale. But they always show huge schools of fish and it's hard to grasp how anyone can claim an area. The long-running tuna-fishing series (near Boston) still has a bit of the territory stuff--mostly about newbies, though, that don't know about running over lines, etc.

That was my conclusion, too, about swimming toward sharks (to prevent looking like shark food). Similar to not running from bears or wolves, etc.

They did have one show with a fishing boat only slightly bigger than a kayak rigged with a sail. Maybe someone will adapt solar-cell-powered kayaks--including dual-hull out-rigger models (more surface area, better stability)--that'll also use photovoltaic cloth sails. That'll tap both wind power (sun-produced) and solar photons for propulsion from both hull cells and the sail to drive electric motors. No doubt, if they use photovoltaic cloth modified for electronically controlled T-shirts (cooling with the Peltier effect ), they'll have to tinker a bit to make it stronger for sails. (That'll be 50 sail fish for your solar-powered kayak please.) -- John

#6 ·
^^^Yeah, you're probably right about the attempted-drama factor with some dudes threatening others over fishing territories. No doubt, from the island slopes etc., some areas produce more giant deep-water sail fish or tuna, or just standard fish for local sale.
I know the depths not far from the Kona coast of the Big Island does exceed 4,000 meters and with it comes the big deep water species.

They did have one show with a fishing boat only slightly bigger than a kayak rigged with a sail. Maybe someone will adapt solar-cell-powered kayaks--including dual-hull out-rigger models (more surface area, better stability)--that'll also use photovoltaic cloth sails. That'll tap both wind power (sun-produced) and solar photons for propulsion from both hull cells and the sail to drive electric motors. No doubt, if they use photovoltaic cloth modified for electronically controlled T-shirts (cooling with the Peltier effect ), they'll have to tinker a bit to make it stronger for sails. (That'll be 50 sail fish for your solar-powered kayak please.) -- John
I wasn't aware of photovoltaic cloth...thanx for the link.:cool:

#9 · (Edited)
Hope the kayak fishermen all have better gear than paddles to bang nosy hammer-head sharks away (above). One fisherman showed his .357-Mag 'bang-stick' that quickly kills a dangerous sword-fish or giant tuna thrashing aboard their kayaks.

Didn't spot a similar stick, or a shotgun-shell version, when the woman free-diver took a ride with a shark (Utube link just above). Hate to see a scrolling memorial on one of these shows. What's needed are free bang sticks from makers, plus final-defense CO2 knives--and sew-on brand patches, like golfers profitably wear. :) -- John

#10 ·
Hope the kayak fishermen all have better gear than paddles to bang nosy hammer-head sharks away (above). One diver showed his .357-Mag 'bang-stick' that quickly kills a dangerous sword-fish or giant tuna thrashing aboard their kayaks.
For some reason, the thought of having a live .357 round in a kayak in the ocean seems like a solution with possible unwanted side effects.

What's needed are free bang sticks from makers, plus final-defense CO2 knives--and sew-on brand patches, like golfers profitably wear. :) -- John
Product placement may be helpful, however, not free-diving in the sea in the first place is even more bullet-proof (pun intended).;)

#11 ·
Tonite's episode was pretty amazing...148 lb. Ahi from a kayak...with a Jack Russell on the bow.:D
The sharks tax collectors took their payment (apparently tuna are high on the menu).
BTW, these guys need to keep their legs in the boat...seriously.;)

Finale is next Friday with Capt. Jon Jon, apparently, battling his marlin.
I'll be there.:cool:

#12 ·
Surprised the series is ending so quickly. Hope Discovery shoots new season(s). Heard a clue last episode what an Ahi is (a tuna). Specifically, says this organization, it's either yellowfin or bigeye tuna. Mostly line-caught, and not overfished near Hawaii, it claims.

Sure agree, using a .357-magnum bang-stick within a kayak to help 'land' a big thrashing fish sounds hazardous; or a shotgun-shell model to kill sharks smelling blood after spearing a fish. I'd put my trust in the 'hairpin' safety feature ...vs. being eaten alive. ;-)

Somewhat OT, but couldn't figure any way of linking National Geographic's long-running "Wicked Tuna"(WT). Maybe a territorial twist--Hawaii vs continental East Coast fishing--will aid series renewal. NGC could acquire "Pacific Warriors."

On WT, familiar crews catch mostly Atlantic Blufin off Gloucester, Mass., with often- mentioned and nearly overfished tuna stocks restricting fishing. Big fuel-hungry boats limit where they'll fish, too. And fuel costs limit going where blufins are biting. Tuna gets whisked off to Japan.

Makes you wonder if a sail boat, with an emergency-only motor, wouldn't work. Too slow perhaps. Discovery, once shoveling money to NYC TV-series "Cash Cab" riders, could outfit a test sail boat (and sails) for propulsion with those thin-film 14%-efficient, U. S.-made photovoltaic panels I vaguely linked above. Finally, let's get lots of that tuna into the tummies of hungry children throughout the world. -- John

#13 ·
Surprised the series is ending so quickly. Hope Discovery shoots new season(s). Heard a clue last episode what an Ahi is (a tuna). Specifically, says this organization, it's either yellowfin or bigeye tuna.
IIRC, it's yellowfin in Hawaii.
I have tried it for dinner in Hawaii and don't really care for it at all.

Sure agree, using a .357-magnum bang-stick within a kayak to help 'land' a big thrashing fish sounds hazardous;
A lead pipe is a lot safer IMO.

or a shotgun-shell model to kill sharks smelling blood after spearing a fish. I'd put my trust in the 'hairpin' safety feature ...vs. being eaten alive. ;-)
Not sure it's legal to use one in Hawaiian waters.

From what I have seen during Shark Week usually a poke with something made from metal does the trick.

Tuna gets whisked off to Japan.
Shipping our natural resources off raw to ANY country is frickin' idiotic and should be against the law.
Process here, then sell.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, back in the 70's we started shipping our timber off to Japan for processing.
Our Sawmills began closing, families who had been in the industry for generations were thrown out of work and were forced to leave to other parts of the country.

Makes you wonder if a sail boat, with an emergency-only motor, wouldn't work. Too slow perhaps. Discovery, once shoveling money to NYC TV-series "Cash Cab" riders, could outfit a test sail boat (and sails) for propulsion with those thin-film 14%-efficient, U. S.-made photovoltaic panels I vaguely linked above. Finally, let's get lots of that tuna into the tummies of hungry children throughout the world. -- John
Sounds like a good plan to me.:)

#14 ·
Whoa, I would swear that ~9 ft shark Kimi was riding looked like a Great White! I'm no shark expert, but I don't know of another one with a white belly. As Brother Dave Gardner once said, "Don't go spookin' the natural habatate of dem sharks!"

#19 ·
Watched a bit. As an offshore fisherman, i hate other fisherman that try and claim stake to a piece of ocean, especially commercial fisherman

#22 ·
Looks like tonite was the season ender.

Although I didn't expect him to, Jon Jon didn't get his Marlin (anyone notice his Sailfish was gutted when he held it up?;)).

FWIW, I think a lot of the plots/stories were contrived.
As a fisherman of 50+ years, I saw a lot of little things that didn't quite jib.
Nonetheless (and as a certifiable nut for all things Hawaii), it was fun to watch and I hope there will be an S2.

#23 ·
I wasn't aware of this show and I've been a fisherman (live tropical fish for aquariums) in Hawaii since the late sixties. Will check it out. I have much respect for the people who spear fish freediving. Quite often read about spear fishermen dying which is usually shallow water blackout. When my daughter was in her teens she was on a boat trip to the outer islands with her school. Her teacher chaperone who was an experienced water person died while freediving in about 50 feet of water from her zodiac. Really sad.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2007/02/13/news/story03.html

There are disputes between the people who think the tropical fishing industry should be shut down and the collectors. Pretty intense on the Big Island.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/28132689/hawaii-aquarium-fish-collector-gets-suspended-sentence

It's been years but I have had run ins with local fishermen, mainly the guys that surround large schools of fish with surround nets and use a spotter plane.

I know more than a few people who have died or have never found while diving.

Clicked on the YouTube Kimi episode. Looks like the west side of Oahu where I did most of my fishing.

Oink, I bet I could grill some Ahi you'd love. Also sashimi some Ahi you'd really like too.

#24 ·
There are disputes between the people who think the tropical fishing industry should be shut down and the collectors. Pretty intense on the Big Island.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/28132689/hawaii-aquarium-fish-collector-gets-suspended-sentence
I wasn't aware of this...thanx for the link.

It's been years but I have had run ins with local fishermen, mainly the guys that surround large schools of fish with surround nets and use a spotter plane.
In Oregon, we recently passed a law forbidding drones for hunting or fishing.
I don't think it would mean much for freshwater fishing, but it could for saltwater.

No doubt the lazy-ass hunters would use them if they could.
I could see an advantage in going after species that congregate (elk, waterfowl, etc.).

I know more than a few people who have died or have never found while diving.
You would NEVER catch me diving in the ocean...now way, no how.
Snorkeling in shallow water close to shore with the rest of the tourists is my cup of tea.;)

Looks like the west side of Oahu where I did most of my fishing.

Your boat?
If it is, you are my new best friend (to quote Bogart, "this is the start of beautiful friendship")!:laugh:

Oink, I bet I could grill some Ahi you'd love. Also sashimi some Ahi you'd really like too.

This pic makes me think I could be convinced to actually trying raw fish.:)

#27 ·
So I got around to watching one of the shows with the confrontation between the fishermen. I'm sure the show needs to add some drama since trolling for fish can be pretty boring sometimes. To me it looks like the filming took place over different days and was heavily edited. If you look at the water conditions, they would go from glassy to rough between shots. Isaac and Kimi launched at Yokohama Bay and then went north towards Kaena Point to fish. The confrontation with Boogie-D took place off Makaha Beach which is about six miles (further since Isaac had fished in the opposite direction from where he launched). So after fishing Isaac is going to paddle 6+ miles to confront Boogie-D? How would he know he was even there and then find him? He would also have to paddle back to Yokohama to get his truck. Since I've fished that area for decades and have a home near Makaha I know that area really well so just watching for the scenery is still cool. I'll probably watch a few more.

Before kayaks got popular there were a few people using special extra large surfboards that had a hole toward the back with a motor mount. They would be in a wetsuit laying on the board driving the board with their foot and and able to look over the side with a mask on to spot fishing spots/fish.

The Mahi, Ahi and Marlin are all open water fish so you do need to get away from shore to expect to catch those fish. I have seen them come in close within where I dive but very rarely. Seen plenty of dolphins, sharks, Monk Seals, turtles, whales, etc but not to many of the game fish.

Another thing about the confrontation that doesn't ring true is although there's aholes in all jobs, I would always come to the aid of anyone on the ocean no matter how much I disliked them on land. You never know when you might need help. I've rescued people who flipped their boats in high surf, gotten lost or away from their boat, been blown out to see, wanted to kill themselves, fallen overboard, towed many boaters back in with whatever troubles, etc. I've also been towed in and been rescued when I flipped my boat in high surf. I was once towed in by a fisherman in a pirogue after having engine trouble. He saw me towing my boat by swimming it in with mask, fins and snorkel with the anchor line. He didn't speak english and I didn't speak French or Tahitian. You just don't know.

If the movie Heart of the Sea ever shows up on PBS, seek it out. Rell was a friend of mine and an incredible water person. Quite a story.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/heartofthesea/film.html

#28 ·
So I got around to watching one of the shows with the confrontation between the fishermen. I'm sure the show needs to add some drama since trolling for fish can be pretty boring sometimes. To me it looks like the filming took place over different days and was heavily edited. If you look at the water conditions, they would go from glassy to rough between shots. Isaac and Kimi launched at Yokohama Bay and then went north towards Kaena Point to fish. The confrontation with Boogie-D took place off Makaha Beach which is about six miles (further since Isaac had fished in the opposite direction from where he launched). So after fishing Isaac is going to paddle 6+ miles to confront Boogie-D? How would he know he was even there and then find him? He would also have to paddle back to Yokohama to get his truck.
I noticed those inconsistencies too, which is why I mentioned a lot of the "drama" was manufactured.

Before kayaks got popular there were a few people using special extra large surfboards that had a hole toward the back with a motor mount. They would be in a wetsuit laying on the board driving the board with their foot and and able to look over the side with a mask on to spot fishing spots/fish.
Didn't know this...very interesting.:cool:

The Mahi, Ahi and Marlin are all open water fish so you do need to get away from shore to expect to catch those fish. I have seen them come in close within where I dive but very rarely. Seen plenty of dolphins, sharks, Monk Seals, turtles, whales, etc but not to many of the game fish.
IIRC, they do come in close on the Kona Coast (from about the Airport to South Point).

If the movie Heart of the Sea ever shows up on PBS, seek it out. Rell was a friend of mine and an incredible water person. Quite a story.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/heartofthesea/film.html

https://youtu.be/ub2JKfM32wY
I will....thanx.

#30 ·
Here's one piece on the aquarium fish industry from Feb.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/tropical-fish-show/
I don't get it...why is this allowed to happen in Hawaiian waters at all?
There are plenty of sources for tropical fish around the world.
Let 'em go elsewhere for it.

Snorkeling tourists bring HUGE amounts of $$$ to The Islands.
The state govt. needs to act smart here (for once).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.