• 1 Post By Matt L

Old 12-03-2015, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 745
"The Wiz (Live!)" on NBC

Based on the (1978) movie, which is based on a Broadway play. I think.

I'll tune in for the sheer spectacle of it, but if it drones on too long (Peter Pan), I'll take an early exit. Don't know all the actors, but I believe Queen Latifah(?) is the Wiz, and Shanice Williams is Dorothy.

Any other takers? Tonight 8/7c.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Should be interesting yes it is based on the original play not the Motown travesty of a movie. I saw it when it first ran and it was spectacular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
Old 12-03-2015, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I liked the movie, but loved the (Quincy Jones?) soundtrack.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 245
According to something I read in the HOTP thread it's supposed to be the first live event with a descriptive soundtrack(on SAP I believe). I think I'll tune in just to hear that.
Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information
Old 12-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
I liked the movie, but loved the (Quincy Jones?) soundtrack.

The music is great yes but the movie casting was wrong Berry Gordy cast Diana Ross to play Dorothy I believe she was close to forty sidelining Stephanie Mills who was a much better singer who became a decent star after headlining the play.

gwsat likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
Old 12-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in - about a half hour behind. . .
Old 12-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
According to something I read in the HOTP thread it's supposed to be the first live event with a descriptive soundtrack(on SAP I believe). I think I'll tune in just to hear that.
Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information
Very weird
Watching TV live through my TVs tuner I get the descriptive audio just fine, even if my TV calls it "Spanish" audio but watching it time delayed through my Tivo the audio sub channel option is greyed out, says their is no alternate audio available....
This is where it gets even "odder"......if I push the LIVE TV button on my Tivo I'm given the option to select alternate audio and I get the descriptions Once I've done that I can go back into my recordings and start playing the recording back, and I get the descriptions! Note if I try and change the audio back to regular audio it's again greyed out and says no alternate audio available......the only way to get the regular audio back is to go back to live tv and then I'm given the option.....
Again very weird
Oh, wonderful video quality, kudos to NBC and my local affiliate KARE!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

One gaffe; lens of another camera was briefly in view. Tornado-scene was nice. Those giant background displays are awesome!

"Descriptive-voice" sounds like Siri, LOL!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio mix issues
The Wiz Live is having 5.1 channel audio issues in Central Fl. During all live portions though the sound has a good stereo sound field, it is heavily biased to the Left & Right Front main channels - little comes from center or surround channels. Commercial breaks have good multi-channel audio with all channels having good levels. And the balanced 5 channel sound hangs on for a few seconds upon return to Live but fades to the heavy L&R main emphasis.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
I have been watching The Wiz Live on my TiVo but ran out of pad 1:45 in. Am now building up my pad again but won't finish until tomorrow. I have enjoyed it. The 19 year old girl who plays Dorothy has a big voice but sometimes has trouble with the pitches. The three guys who play Tin Man, the Scarecrow, and the Cowardly Lion, have all been terrific I think.

I agree that the movie version of The Wiz was pretty bad. Whoever the rocket scientist was who cast 30 something Diana Ross as the teenaged Dorothy should have been fired, if not drawn and quartered. The NBC production, though, seems to be doing a good job of showing us what the Tony Award winning 1975 Broadway original must have been like. As noted, I have enjoyed all that I have seen so far. Will post my final impressions after I finish up watching tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Well I learned something about alternate audio on my Tivo. In order to record the alternate audio channel you must first select it while watching the program live, and then it records the alternate audio channel and only that channel, no way to access the regular audio channel once the alternate has been recorded. Apparently both audio channels cannot be recorded at the same time, whatever it was set to is what it records
Glad I played with it while it was still live, otherwise I'd have never been able to hear the descriptive audio.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I went to watch it and my DVR didn't record nuts. That's happened a bunch of times recently on D* for me.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Very cool!
Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I got to say it was very well done. The costumes were great, very imaginative, I was not aware of any missteps, all in all a stellar performance. I came in very much out of the loop, I may have seen the movie many, many years ago and was pretty unfamiliar with the music. It really held my attention. I was impressed with the tornado scene too. All the actors were good fits for their parts.

Last year was a disaster IMO, they really redeemed themselves this time out. What's up next year...
gwsat likes this.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Kudos to NBC. I thought the production was first rate. No audio issues like Sounds of Music where you heard the air conditioning the whole time. I think the difference in this production was that you felt like you were watching a real Broadway production. Not trying to show off non-Broadway actors like in previous years. Other than a couple songs I was not familiar with the Wiz and had not watched the movie all the way through. But I enjoyed it quite a bit. And luckily Christopher Walken did not do a cameo.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post
Kudos to NBC. I thought the production was first rate. No audio issues like Sounds of Music where you heard the air conditioning the whole time. I think the difference in this production was that you felt like you were watching a real Broadway production. Not trying to show off non-Broadway actors like in previous years. Other than a couple songs I was not familiar with the Wiz and had not watched the movie all the way through. But I enjoyed it quite a bit. And luckily Christopher Walken did not do a cameo.

This production is being groomed for a Broadway run IMO in terms of direction they were definitely thinking ahead vs just getting it correct for one night.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 104
well done. picture quality was super clear. Loved the sets. Wonderful singing and dancing.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Finally finished watching the show and really enjoyed it. The high point of the evening for me was Mary J. Blige's performance of Don't Bring Me No Bad News. She was great as Evilene The Wicked Witch of the West. Also really liked Uzo Aduba as Glinda the Good Witch. Who knew that Crazy Eyes could sing? I thought that Blige's Don't Bring Me No Bad News was the high point of the show. I recall loving the same number in the 1978 movie version. No surprise there because Evilene was played by Mabel King, who had created the role on Broadway.

My only reservation about last night's performance is the distressing frequency with which Shanice Williams, as Dorothy, missed pitches. In her closing number, she was just plain bad. That surprised me because her performance of her opening number was flawless, to my ears at least.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I liked the movie in spite of the Ms Ross-miscast. I thought Michael Jackson, Nipsey Russell and Mabel King were really good.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Finally finished watching the show and really enjoyed it. The high point of the evening for me was Mary J. Blige's performance of Don't Bring Me No Bad News. She was great as Evilene The Wicked Witch of the West. Also really liked Uzo Aduba as Glinda the Good Witch. Who knew that Crazy Eyes could sing? I thought that Blige's Don't Bring Me No Bad News was the high point of the show. I recall loving the same number in the 1978 movie version. No surprise there because Evilene was played by Mabel King, who had created the role on Broadway.

My only reservation about last night's performance is the distressing frequency with which Shanice Williams, as Dorothy, missed pitches. In her closing number, she was just plain bad. That surprised me because her performance of her opening number was flawless, to my ears at least.

You are so correct "No Bad News" in every way is the showstopper, I believe Ms Williams tired as the production went on but comes off as a budding star with the right direction. I'm going to watch again to soak it all in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement