Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #511 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
iomax,

it could've been the wind. we had BAD wind in Boston on that night, but why all other stations were coming clean at the same time ? mystery ?

Andrey
(ex-systems engineer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 01:48 PM
PVR

Quote:
Originally posted by wihardjw
The music was shaking up the room that my Silver Sensor antenna fell over ... TWICE!!! (Once during Avril, and again during the final performance :mad: ) Obviously, it immediately dropped the feed until I could fix the Antenna. I think I need to get an Anchor for that Silver Sensor it is way too light!
Now thats funny!
post #513 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by wihardjw

The music was shaking up the room that my Silver Sensor antenna fell over ... TWICE!!!.....I think I need to get an Anchor for that Silver Sensor it is way too light!
Nothing a little Velcro won't fix.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #514 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 03:00 PM

Has anyone posted any screen captures of the Grammys?

(Bonus points for pics of Kelly Rowland (with Nelly) or Faith Hill.)
post #515 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Great picture quality, but sound could have been better. I got it in 5.1, but sound was uneven. Presenters were much louder than the musical performances. Had to keep turning the volume up and then down.

Pros
No Lopez - great butt, no talent.
No Madonna - boring.
No excessive Rap and R&B - getting like disco.
No Tony Bennett - the man has no voice at all.

Negatives
Should have let the Boss stay home.

All in all, it was the most enjoyable Grammy night in years.

Jon

p.s. Gwen Stefani looked fabulous in HD.
post #516 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 04:16 PM

Just piling on here to say great job CBS! The most impressive feature to me was the use of colors. They literally jumped off my HDTV and smacked me in the face. In addition, I WOULD NOT have watched this award show if it wasn't in HD.
post #517 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 04:24 PM

My audio and video were impeccable; too bad that plethora of creeps wasn't as well. Among other things, the audience was disrespectful and rowdy, and I just love to see unkempt people scratching themselves up on the stage when they are receiving what is supposed to be a prestigious award, it is sooo classy. Sigh, I guess we Neanderthals will never understand these "artists."
At any rate it was a beautiful presentation; thanks CBS
post #518 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 05:30 PM

Superb video and a great 5.1DD mix here in Philly. "CBS-3" (KYW) came in at 96-99% all night long with my roof-top antenna.
Switched over to the Dish Network CBS feed and got identical quality (also 5.1DD audio).
REALLY enjoyed the NY Philharmonic playing the West Side Story piece. Beautiful soundstage with the strings stage-left, horns stage-right, etc.
Had a big laugh a few times with whootin' and hollarin' coming from *one person* directly out of the right surround speaker.
Got really choked-up when the Bee Gees paid tribute to Maurice (R.I.P.) and brought his son on stage. What a needless tragedy his death was!
I, too, will now start an annual tradition of a Grammy Awards Party.
Just great entertainment!!!
Thanks, again and again and again CBS!!!
Terry M.
post #519 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Tried about 25 shots for a good screenshot, but no luck: everybody was moving like crazy, and i wanted to do something else thean taking pics all night.

Would have loved to pic Kim Cattrall with PD wathing here all over.
post #520 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by atmosfera
well people....

i am sorry to say that it was virtually unwatchable on my tu-dst51. i've programmed the tuner to record the show (as I was on the road) and after I've arrived one hour into the show and powering the plasma - no picture... just black screen :(

i've recycled tu-dst51 and picture came in but all breaking up and 5.1 sound in and out. it was virtually unwatchable :( WBZ4 is local affiliate of CBS and they usually do nice job staing ontop of issues and ensuaring that Boston folk is getting HDTV right. But boy, was I pissed off that I was not able to see what supposed to be a very nice presentation. In portions that I was able to see and hear it was very good. honestly I've see couple of places where dissolves where all wrong and sound f,,, couple of times. CBS really needs to get their act together - I do give them a great credit for whet they are doing for all the HDTV enthusiasts here and understand that it is all new tech, but no matter how sophisticated technology would be if the company which is using that technology can not deliver final presentation.... i am just upset... I had similar problems while recording Winter Olympics. it seems to me whatever they do Live is very raw and needs ton of polishing. Programs recorded earlier and edited in the house are very nice but live stuff still needs much work put into it. I do not really wanna be a party-pooper but unfortunately I had not very nice experience. Glad that some of you have enjoyed it !
With the exception of the first couple minutes of the NY Phil (the Bernstein was the highlight of the evening--now if WGBH would only start broadcasting the BSO in HD w/ DD 5.1) which was in SD, the WBZ broadcast was perfect out in Framingham where I was using an attic mounted Weingard driving a DTC-100.

CBS, Bob Ross, WBZ, AMV-- Thank you for showing us how good HDTV can be and how captivating it is to watch (even when the actual performers can be pretty lame). The bar has clearly been raised for the Oscars!
post #521 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Congratulations to Bob Ross and CBS for a superb production on both the video and audio front. Particularly impressive was the all HD production, not an SD camera to be seen! CBS is still the leader! However, it's shocking to me how far the music bar has been lowered. Some of these groups were so bad my wife and I actually cracked up.
post #522 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 07:42 PM

Grade A production.I thought the graphics were very well done.Man I can not wait until 4 or 5 years from now when this is the norm.
Thanks again CBS!
post #523 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
CBS Rocks! This is what HD is all about. The live picture was truly a window to the event. Great 5.1 here in Los Angeles. CBS has set the bar at perfection for ABC and the Oscars.

As for the show..well I agree with most of the comments here. With some exceptions like Norah Jones and the Chicks, most acts were disappointing. Dustin Hoffman must still think he is doing the Rainman. Dave Letterman would have been the obvious choice for CBS to use for the opening. The sets and use of HD monitors was fabulous.
post #524 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 07:57 PM

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Dang! I forgot about the Grammy's!!

The wife and I watched "Insomnia" instead via my new Phillips 963SA DVD player. At least that looked and sounded good too!

Oh well! I'll be sure to watch next year! :D

Andy

Around the survivors, a perimeter create! - Yoda
post #525 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave1216
CBS Rocks! This is what HD is all about. The live picture was truly a window to the event. Great 5.1 here in Los Angeles. CBS has set the bar at perfection for ABC and the Oscars.

okay... i'm taking action here:

2:1 ABC WILL NOT do as good of a job as CBS

4:1 ABC's job will be the same compared to CBS's AFC playoffs to the super bowl

5:1 ABC's nite will be a total disaster

10:1 ABC learned their lesson from super bowl. equal job as CBS' on mar 23...

50:1 ABC will kick ass!!!!!!!

crap. i shoulda setup a poll instead... :D

leo d.
post #526 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Too bad they don't repeat these things. I'd love to see what I missed.

Ken Elliott
post #527 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 09:42 PM

I have Cox cable in Omaha. The picture was fantastic, the sound was unlistenable. It was not a synch issue per se, but kinda a synch, static,cutting out issue. The first call into Cox said no problem at their end, so I unplugged and turned everything off and started over and still no good. It was fine on regular digital cable but not HDTV. An hour later Cox admitted there was a problem. Oh well, maybe next time.
Thanks
post #528 of 539 Old 02-24-2003, 10:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
However, it's shocking to me how far the music bar has been lowered. Some of these groups were so bad my wife and I actually cracked up.
HA! I was actually glad that the bar seemed to have risen compared to the past few years. I felt this year was a step up and over the past few Grammy's. Maybe it was the Dolby Digital 5.1 here in LA. :p
post #529 of 539 Old 02-25-2003, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting how some people are complaining about where music has gone in a year when Norah Jones, far from a pop sensation, sweeps the Grammies. I, for one, am astonished how much the great mass of people appreciate her music.
post #530 of 539 Old 02-25-2003, 05:56 AM

huntington beach , CA , picture and 5.1 sound was excellent. i couldn't get my eyes off my TV. you can see the tattoo off of their necks. great work CBS!!.
post #531 of 539 Old 02-25-2003, 08:36 AM

I watched the Grammys via my Dishnet CBS.

The video was great expect for just a few minor glitches.

There were numerous audio problems, most noticable was the fact that the volume for the SD commercials would drop so low that you could not hear it.

Overall it was a great show to watch. The stage setup was incredible with the special effects on what appeared to be numerous large video screens (plasma ?).
post #532 of 539 Old 02-25-2003, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by urlybird
The stage setup was incredible with the special effects on what appeared to be numerous large video screens (plasma ?).
Nope, plasma doesn't get anywhere that big. They were projectors, probably industrial 3-chip DLP, or maybe 3 panel LCD or D-ILA.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #533 of 539 Old 02-25-2003, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted some short clips of Norah Jones and Avril Lavigne performing at the Grammy's. Enjoy!

Grammy's
post #534 of 539 Old 02-25-2003, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Nope, plasma doesn't get anywhere that big. They were projectors, probably industrial 3-chip DLP, or maybe 3 panel LCD or D-ILA.
All of the projection was 3-chip DLP. There was a whole row of Color LED panels (but I guess they don't qualify as projection -- better call 'em screens) There were over 25 DLP projectors used in/on the set.
post #535 of 539 Old 02-25-2003, 09:21 PM

I was lucky enough to be at the grammy's....and right up front!

The show was amazing....the projectors on the big screens were double stacked monsters...couldn't see what they were though.

Anyway...if anyone taped this on a JVC 30k, or any other HD deck I would kill for a copy. Since we were there, I would really really like to get a copy of it on HD.

Thanks!

Tony Caciolo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #536 of 539 Old 02-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Personally, this is the most crisp and clear HD presentation my tv has ever witnessed. Now a question, why? What makes some Hd presentations so much crisper than others? I understand the difference between film and video. This looked better than most of the stuff I see on Hdnet. Is it the equipment(more expensive cameras)? Is it the bandwidth allocation? I just want to know why I haven't seen anything this good before. When Norah Jones was on stage performing and the candles were glowing, it was amazing, I felt like I was there. This show made me long for an easy and semi-affordable HD recording method.
post #537 of 539 Old 02-26-2003, 12:49 PM

Grammy's looked awesome on WHP TV in Harrisburg, PA. A few dropouts (two or three) during the whole show, which is good for WHP. Everyone is raving on the DD5.1 sound, but for me, I'm not sure I missed all that much. For music, ProLogic can do a pretty decent job.
post #538 of 539 Old 02-26-2003, 04:12 PM
PVR

Quote:
Originally posted by tbass2k
This looked better than most of the stuff I see on Hdnet. Is it the equipment(more expensive cameras)? Is it the bandwidth allocation?
I would say that the best of HDnet was fairly comparable. For most people the datarate for HDnet or CBS OTA should be about the same (ATSC max). Yes, CBS might have had newer cameras which might be a tad better than what you typically see on HDnet.

I just think the venue (with all the stars, glitz, bright lights, and interesting sets) was more "eye candy" than a typical HDnet "world report".

Much of what HDnet shows are older shows done with older equipment. You really have to compare their most recent stuff to go head to head with CBS.

The older a production, the more chance it has been edited, remastered, re-encoded or otherwise redone in a way that reduces PQ.

The BEST looking events are always live, or same day broadcasts:
Tonight show with Jay Leno
Grammy Awards
HDnet live sports

since it is live (or tape delayed) there are likely less encoding/decoding steps done to the material before you actually see it.
post #539 of 539 Old 02-28-2003, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinYee
I posted some short clips of Norah Jones and Avril Lavigne performing at the Grammy's. Enjoy!

Grammy's
Any chance of getting a clip of Faith Hill's performance -- I missed the show and that's all everyone seems to be talking about in here... :) thanks
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page