AVS Forum banner

SYTYCD Season 13 Renewal

1K views 62 replies 19 participants last post by  Charles R 
#1 ·
The show did get renewed but for the first time since the initial episode I won't be viewing. The show will be a junior version of SYTYCD limited to 8-13 year old kids with mentoring from the all-stars. This from Variety:

"Fox has renewed “So You Think You Can Dance” for Season 13, which will shake up the format with a younger crop of contestants and an All-Star twist.
This season will see dancers between the ages of 8-13, who are skilled in various dance styles, such as contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation or breaking, paired up with All-Stars to compete for the title of America’s Favorite Dancer.
Season 13 will premiere Monday, May 30 at 8 p.m. on Fox, with Nigel Lythgoe, Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo returning to judge, and Cat Deeley once again hosting.

“We are so happy to bring back the award-winning ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ for a 13th season this summer with a brand-new format,” said David Madden, President of Entertainment at Fox. “The series has captivated its loyal fan base for over a decade, inspiring young dancers across the country and transforming the face of dance in every medium – and we’re so excited to feature a young and talented new group of performers on the series.”
“Through the Dizzy Feet Foundation, I’ve had the great privilege of working with incredible young talent who will eventually shape the future of dance in this country,” said co-creator and executive producer Nigel Lythgoe. “By evolving the ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ format this season, we can showcase the very best junior dancers out there and open up the world of dance to a whole new generation.”

Just what we need, another kids dance show. Doesn't Lifetime have enough of them? Like I said, I'm out. The real shame is that the show has launched so many of its alumni into professional careers as dancers and/or choreographers and that now ends. Fox must have given Nigel and company little choice since the ratings were so abysmal last season.

See less See more
#3 ·
Me too! Personally I can't stand those shows where the cutest kids win buy just being cute. It was nice while it lasted and I believe we were wondering if last season would be it, my guess is this will be the last but in this household last season will have been our season, RIP SYTYCD :(

#4 ·
I still have 5 or 6 unwatched episodes of last season I can't seem to summon any desire to complete. The street v. classic styles experiment sent me to the showers. Kid dancers have zippo appeal just like kid singers - one of my hated genres.

#25 ·
I still have 5 or 6 unwatched episodes of last season I can't seem to summon any desire to complete. The street v. classic styles experiment sent me to the showers.
I've been creating my own "for posterity" edited extractions of these seasons, because I really enjoyed this show. I didn't retain the pre-dance rehearsal stuff which bored me, but I did retain the actual performances as well as all the judges commentary afterwards.

For this past season, I still have the entire season still stored on my DVR... watched in its entirety (although it was a struggle to sit through all the street influence), but not one episode yet extracted to video clips. Every time I look at my recordings list and see that I still have 11 episodes which I've watched once and now would have to sit through again, working my way through all the video editing required... I can't decide whether I want to go through it yet again. Were it not for the fact that Gaby Diaz was probably one of the absolute best all-around dancers ever to be on the show, and I don't want to lose her season, I'd probably just erase it all. But she had some terrific performances.

Anyway, last season's format change really knocked the enthusiasm out of me for the show. It was a shame.

Kid dancers have zippo appeal just like kid singers - one of my hated genres.
This is truly an astonishing decision by the network suits. Who decided this was a good idea, and that it would BOOST ratings??? Who could possibly be the viewing audience for such a show? 8-13 dancers???

I confess I actually watched "Project Runway Juniors", and was very impressed with their capabilities. In the end a 14-year old girl (who was actually the youngest contestant in the competition) came out the winner. But at least they were like 14-17, which is almost actual people.

Who could possibly watch a season of dancers aged 8-13? Is Cat going to play counselor at summer camp?

I'm gone, sadly. Will not even start through what I assume will be audition shows.

Bizarre.

#5 ·
What a shame that the very best of the contest-type reality shows has come down to this. Struggling, throwing new formats at the wall to see what sticks. My wife still watches 'The Voice', but SYTYCD is the only one I've watched for years. Too bad this is how it has to go out. :(

#6 ·
R.I.P. SYTYCD

Last season was the stepping stone on the way out, and this season isn't even the same show. I know ratings weren't great, by whatever standard that is defined. But I can't imagine this show is that expensive to produce and with hundreds of 24 channels broadcasting 24x7, it's a shame that there isn't room on the schedule for this show.

#7 ·
Last year's format change was an attempt to connect with that key younger viewing demographic to boost the show's falling ratings. It fell flat on its face and the ratings were worse than ever. The new format only served to alienate a part of the show's traditional viewing base. How in the hell Fox thinks that this pee-wee version of the show is going to check the ratings down slide is beyond me. Frankly, SYTYCD should have been laid to an honorable rest rather than resorting to stunts and gimmicks as it did in Season 12 and is doing now again in Season 13.

#9 ·
So it looks like good ol' Dancing With The Stars is the only remaining viable dance show on air, as long in the tooth as it is. If you didn't watch the finale from fall 2015, it's been announced that Len Goodman will return for the 2016 spring cycle (I guess no more conflict with the mother ship Strictly Come Dancing).

FYI, I still have the episode on my DVR, paused at the famed Erin Andrews "wait for me!" moment. I still look at it once in a while for a chuckle.:D

#12 ·
True that. Erin is an absolute hoot and Tom is still the best in the business. I have to admit that when the new contestants on DWTS are announced, I groan and say no way but after the clunkers are eliminated, there's some pretty good dancing to be seen. Last season was another example. Who would have thought that Bindi Irwin, given her background in Australia, would prove to be such a good, natural dancer? There are still enough pleasant surprises on DWTS to keep it going and it really did become, as SYTYCD strayed away from it, the only ballroom oriented show on the air. Of course DWTS will take a hit in it's pro dancer ranks since SYTYCD became a primary feeder of young talent.

#10 ·
I gave up on DWTS years ago. Every season was just a carbon copy of the others, and the "celebrities"s q-factors have fallen completely off the charts.

And I just got really p.o.'d at how many hours a week (sometimes 5 or even 6) that it sucks out of primetime, a fault it also shares with AI and 'Voice'.

#14 ·
And I just got really p.o.'d at how many hours a week (sometimes 5 or even 6) that it sucks out of primetime, a fault it also shares with AI and 'Voice'.
DWTS hasn't had more than 1 two hour show a week for several?? seasons, IMO dropping the 1hr results show was the beginning of the downfall of DWTS. I believe this is also the last season for AI, a show I never watched.

#15 ·
This show started as a real breath of fresh air for the 1st few seasons, with real skill and talent. Then slowly they started placing more emphasis on 'street' dances which clearly take less talent, and the whole Street vs Ballroom thing was utter nonsense. Just another example of the continued dumbing down of this country.

I have no interest in watching kids, and I feel sorry for Nigel who seems the most sincere and is probably being forced into this abomination of what his show has become.

#17 ·
ages 8-13??..seriously?...isn't that a bit young...MasterChef Junior works because of the cooking aspect but for a dancing show it seems like a really dumb move...what sort of dances are they even going to do on a week-to-week basis...please FOX change your minds before it's too late

#21 ·
Dancing is about 50% (or more in the best cases) sex appeal and that aspect is a dead issue in this new format unless you are a pervert.

Reactions: jjeff
#23 ·
I'll give it a shot on goodwill alone. Although I think it's crazy to think the new formats have ruin the show. They only changed to remain on the air... the old format died (via ratings) a long time ago.

#26 ·
There are kid themed shows, aka abominations, on every channel now, Junior Baking Champions, Junior fashion, singers etc, its only a matter of time before Junior Housebrats, so there must be an audience for them, which is not hard to believe, and they probably need to pay them peanuts. Or jellies.

#28 ·
Making this even worse, and now absolutely unwatchable... Jason Derulo is back (along with Paula again). This was the nail in the coffin for me last season, and it's now welded shut for this season. He is the worst. That's what really needed changing, but obviously wasn't.

#30 ·
I just read what it was (having noticed a recording scheduled on Monday). Deleting my TiVo season pass. I wonder if the ratings will be good enough that they'll air the entire season? It is a summer filler so maybe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.