'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' on the CW - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
  • 1 Post By PrimeTime
post #1 of 2 Old 03-01-2016, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 213
'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' on the CW

Rachel Bloom is remarkable as the star/writer of this unusual show, which is already on its 13th episode. She won the Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Actress in a Comedy Series. She won a Golden Globe too.

The running comedy is hit and miss, and a little goofy sometimes -- not as sharp and tight as mainstream shows like Big Bang Theory. At least there's no "augmented live" audience. The payoff is the musical numbers on the show, which pop up unexpectedly and often involve some kind of choreography. Kind of like Galavant, but better. The musical numbers range from cute to priceless (especially if you happen to live in Southern California).

Kinda cheeky and edgy to talk about a "crazy" ex-girlfriend. Good thing it's being done from the girlfriend's point of view. This show was nominated for the People's Choice Award for Favorite New TV Comedy.
Young C likes this.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 07-07-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
I'm not surprised this thread has only one post. I recorded the show because it was new last year and just kept ignoring it because of the title. I've had it sat on my DVR until the summer TV drought hit. Going in the only thing I knew about it was that Bloom had won a Golden Globe ...

Having caught up this has become probably my favorite "new" show of er, last year. Blending the colorful characters of something like Suburgatory with meta gags and absurdist humor, acknowledging and mostly subverting the usual romcom tropes and an amazing playlist of song parodies that are better then nearly anything SNL has put out in years. I liked the first episode but wasn't quite sure about it until the Vampire Weekend payoff gag at the end, then I knew the show had real potential to be different to the usual cookie-cutter sitcom fodder. One simple gag with the title was just inspired. One of the funniest things I saw this year.

Youtube has a playlist just showcasing the musical numbers because they cover the gamut of the musical spectrum from your typical Broadway-style numbers and ballads to alt-90's rock, 80's glam and a wide range of amusing subjects from dating, text messaging, fight training montages to boobs and UTI's. One thing I really appreciated is that Bloom doesn't steal the spotlight, all of the characters (and some of the guest stars) get a chance to have their musical parody and they are not all the usual crop of ex-Broadway performers and trained singers.

Despite the dire ratings this show was renewed for Fall 2016 to a Friday death slot, but season one is now available on Netflix. I recommend you watch the songs in context of the episodes so you don't see them coming, but if you just want to sample some of them you can check out every song on YouTube.

Sponsored Links
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page