Houdini & Doyle (Fox) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2016, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Houdini & Doyle (Fox)

I watched the first episode of this summer show on Fox. I was not impressed.

The Houdini character is a thoroughly unlikeable character. All he does is go around uttering arrogant comments and making wagers. He is a caricature of a brash American.

There is no chemistry whatsoever between the Houdini and Doyle characters, yet this "partnership" is supposed to carry the series? Good luck with that.

The female constable fighting for recognition with a male pig of a boss seems like a transport of a 21st century plot line into 19th century London, but, sadly, it seems it will be a main multiepisode theme. The problem is not that such a thing would not happen in 19th century London, but that the resolution of it would not occur until all of these characters are dead. So, other than being an on-going antagonism, it cannot be realistically resolved within the story time-line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 509
That is a good synopsis.

I may watch it, because I like that time period. I did give up on Mr Selfridge, so this better improve or I'll unload it.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
Old 05-04-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Unfortunately I'd have to agree, there's no chemistry here. Will it come later in the series?

Once and done. But I'll check this thread occasionally to see if it improves.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 217
While no Masterpiece Theater I though Houdini & Doyle was enjoyable enough. It kind of bothered me when they said things like, "I'll bet you a hundred bucks".....first a "hundred bucks" back then would be like $10,000 bucks now(WAG) and did they even use the term "bucks" back then?? In another seen someone wagered $5,000 dollars(he had a wad of it in his hand), $5000 dollars back when this was supposed to be set?? WAG, more than someone would make in their entire life.....I mean when I watch something like Lets make a deal shot in the early 70s and they value a new full sized V8 Buick or Chrysler.....slightly under $5k and something like a Vega for change under $3k......well you get my drift.
Note to advertisers, both my teen daughters liked Houdini & Doyle.......and those are the type of people advertisers want, not us nit pickers
I agree, the dress and forwardness of the lead female cop was a hundred or more years off, but she was sure easy on the eyes
Season Pass for now, I may reassess it if it gets too over the top like Reign did but for now there are lots worse stuff on broadcast TV to watch with my kids

OK spending too much time on this.......but $100 in 1913(as far back as my chart goes) would be the same as $2400 today, $5,000 in 1913 would be the same as $120,268.69 today.....I doubt he would have been carrying around a wad of $120k

Last edited by jjeff; 05-04-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 105
You'd think that writers of historical fiction would spend at least SOME effort to ensure the historical accuracy of the action. Last episode had HH giving mouth-to-mouth to the girl pulled out of the river. Mouth-to-mouth was not used to rescue drowning victims until the 1950's or so.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hadn't seen this show before, I caught last night's episode and thought that the guy who plays Houdini looked and sounded familiar. About halfway through I realized he played the drugged-up psycho who carjacks David in the Six Feet Under episode "That's My Dog", which I happened to catch on the HBO2 SFU marathon this past weekend. He pretty much ruined this show, he's very irritating.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 4634
Did anyone notice the "White Hart" pub in the last episode? A reference to Arthur C. Clarke's book. Not sure why.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Did anyone notice the "White Hart" pub in the last episode? A reference to Arthur C. Clarke's book. Not sure why.
Can't believe that the next show is the end of the first season! Really liked this and hope it gets a second season!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Old 07-01-2016, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Was it definitely a Clarke reference? That is a very common pub name in the UK. (Many towns have a Red Lion, a White Hart or a Kings Head)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement