post #1681 of 1891 Old 08-10-2017, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Also F1 has been in 4k all season on SKY... I've even heard there has been an HDR broadcast or two in Europe. We're falling behind over here Crossing my fingers we can get some of these European events in 4k at native framerate.. if they have to convert there will be a loss in PQ.
Interestingly enough - the PGA Championship is coming up this week, and has a 4K event in the guide, but isn't on that site.

Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1891 Old 08-10-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I'm guessing you didn't notice the "with expert installation $89" lol.
Oh, I saw it. How do you think I successfully got all my equipment covered. Such a deal! 😜

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1683 of 1891 Old 08-15-2017, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
The RVU feature built in to some TVs is a client that doesn't require a hardware box. Again this requires a server and count as a receiver.

There are are regular clients/minis, wireless client/minis and 4K wired clients/minis. You can have multiple 4K clients on a Genie but can only watch 1 4K program at a time. With the Genie 2 you can watch 2 4K streams. And remember the regular Genie doesn't do 4K output, so you need to have a 4K client on your 4K display/s.

For my initial setup I will have a Genie and 2 4K minis. When I go to the Genie 2 I will add a regular mini.
I'm a past DirecTV user and had it reinstalled last Friday after moving and trying streaming services for several months.

The installer did a great job, but didn't have the two 4K minis on his truck to complete my install, so he went ahead and installed my Genie (HR54), with a reverse LNB and two regular minis to get us through the weekend. He told me to call DirecTV after a day or two and tell them he didn't have the two 4K minis and have them schedule an installer out to switch the regular minis with two new 4K minis. Sounds simple enough, right? Wrong.

After several attempts and three hours I'll never get back, I'm being told that they will only provide one 4K mini because they're saying you can only have one 4K mini on a Genie. I tried to tell them that you can only WATCH one 4K source at a time, but they would have none of it. Is there any buzz words I can use to get that second 4K mini? I'm so tired of playing the CSR Lottery.

Thanks for any and all help.

Home Theater: Sony VPL-VW675ES, Anthem MRX 1120, Oppo UDP-203, Atlantic Technology THX Ultra2 Speakers: 371 LR, 373 C, 374 LRSSR, 474 LRBSR, 372 PBM Sub, (four) Atlantic Technology IC-6-OBA In-Ceiling, Roku Ultra, Sony PS4, SnapAV Strong FS Series A/V Rack, Sonos Connect | Living Room: LG OLED65E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Sonos Playbar w/ Sonos Sub, Sonos Connect | Patio: Onkyo TX-DS989 Ver2 Receiver, PSB CS1000 Outdoor Speakers, Sonos Connect | Control4 Home Automation

post #1684 of 1891 Old 08-15-2017, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDalton View Post
I'm a past DirecTV user and had it reinstalled last Friday after moving and trying streaming services for several months.

The installer did a great job, but didn't have the two 4K minis on his truck to complete my install, so he went ahead and installed my Genie (HR54), with a reverse LNB and two regular minis to get us through the weekend. He told me to call DirecTV after a day or two and tell them he didn't have the two 4K minis and have them schedule an installer out to switch the regular minis with two new 4K minis. Sounds simple enough, right? Wrong.

After several attempts and three hours I'll never get back, I'm being told that they will only provide one 4K mini because they're saying you can only have one 4K mini on a Genie. I tried to tell them that you can only WATCH one 4K source at a time, but they would have none of it. Is there any buzz words I can use to get that second 4K mini? I'm so tired of playing the CSR Lottery.

Here's a picture of my initial order. Don't know if it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
markrubin and RDalton like this.
post #1685 of 1891 Old 08-16-2017, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

never, never let them do an install if its not 100% what you want.
you already signed off and accepted it as is

its going to be difficult to get it corrected, if its possible

but you can connect all 4k minis, and only watch 1 at a time
Sharp1080 and RDalton like this.

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #1686 of 1891 Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:

It was his responsibility to call his supervisor while at your install and relay that message of not having equipment who in turn should have documented that right away on your account. I went thru a similar situation when the first installer installed the incorrect dish and LNB due to not having the new parts on his truck! I had to argue with DirecTV to come out again and not charge me for his mistake. They ended up discounting my bill for several months to correct the screwup. I must say the next installer knew his job and corrected all of the mistakes of the first who was an ATT crossover employee. He even informed me the dish had never been properly grounded. By doing that I eliminated the hum in my main system.
joe221, RDalton and ggsantafe like this.
post #1687 of 1891 Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Here's a picture of my initial order. Don't know if it will help
I knew it, thanks! I'll see if I can use this to my advantage

Home Theater: Sony VPL-VW675ES, Anthem MRX 1120, Oppo UDP-203, Atlantic Technology THX Ultra2 Speakers: 371 LR, 373 C, 374 LRSSR, 474 LRBSR, 372 PBM Sub, (four) Atlantic Technology IC-6-OBA In-Ceiling, Roku Ultra, Sony PS4, SnapAV Strong FS Series A/V Rack, Sonos Connect | Living Room: LG OLED65E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Sonos Playbar w/ Sonos Sub, Sonos Connect | Patio: Onkyo TX-DS989 Ver2 Receiver, PSB CS1000 Outdoor Speakers, Sonos Connect | Control4 Home Automation
post #1688 of 1891 Old 08-16-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
never, never let them do an install if its not 100% what you want.
you already signed off and accepted it as is

its going to be difficult to get it corrected, if its possible

but you can connect all 4k minis, and only watch 1 at a time
Thanks, I needed you in my ear when I took the word of my installer. I'm going to keep trying to see if I can get it resolved. I'm taking it as a challenge!

post #1689 of 1891 Old 08-16-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
It was his responsibility to call his supervisor while at your install and relay that message of not having equipment who in turn should have documented that right away on your account. I went thru a similar situation when the first installer installed the incorrect dish and LNB due to not having the new parts on his truck! I had to argue with DirecTV to come out again and not charge me for his mistake. They ended up discounting my bill for several months to correct the screwup. I must say the next installer knew his job and corrected all of the mistakes of the first who was an ATT crossover employee. He even informed me the dish had never been properly grounded. By doing that I eliminated the hum in my main system.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to see if I can get some free programming out of this fiasco based on your experience.
Sharp1080 likes this.

post #1690 of 1891 Old 08-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question DirecTV in detached garage.

I have a garage that is roughly 130ft away from my house. I would like to setup DTV in this garage. I called DirecTV and they said my account has free installation and all I need a a Genie Mini installed out there and a cable ran. I'm unclear if they are running a cable from my house input box, or putting another box out there for this input. But they said there might be signal loss, but it shouldn't be an issue(she was very broken English, hard to tell). Either way, it was all free so I said sure I'll give it a shot. What is the likelihood this works? Is there anything I should know? I was debating getting an additional satellite dish and installing this for the garage because of the distance. Any other options that I have if this doesn't work? Any help is appreciated.
post #1691 of 1891 Old 08-17-2017, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I needed you in my ear when I took the word of my installer. I'm going to keep trying to see if I can get it resolved. I'm taking it as a challenge!
goodluck.
if they wont do it there is always the option of getting the units from solid signal or a similar place, replacing and returning the non 4ks.

of course this would cost you out of pocket, and im sure you dont want that
RDalton likes this.

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #1692 of 1891 Old 08-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Threads merged.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1693 of 1891 Old 08-17-2017, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czah7 View Post
I have a garage that is roughly 130ft away from my house. I would like to setup DTV in this garage. I called DirecTV and they said my account has free installation and all I need a a Genie Mini installed out there and a cable ran. I'm unclear if they are running a cable from my house input box, or putting another box out there for this input. But they said there might be signal loss, but it shouldn't be an issue(she was very broken English, hard to tell). Either way, it was all free so I said sure I'll give it a shot. What is the likelihood this works? Is there anything I should know? I was debating getting an additional satellite dish and installing this for the garage because of the distance. Any other options that I have if this doesn't work? Any help is appreciated.
130 is a long way, 150' is the max for rg6, might need rg11, which is non standard and will cost
also burying that much cable will not be free

a mini will run from your main genie in the house

if you dont care about sharing the recordings, just buy a dish and lnb from someplace (example solid signal) and maybe a receiver (h25/hr24), do a self install and maybe get them to come peak it

at the very least you may want to run the cable, or a conduit to avoid that cost from the installer

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #1694 of 1891 Old 08-17-2017, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is there no such thing as 4K on demand? The only that works on 1102/1104 are the movies. The documentary tab is just a list of random shows that aren't 4K and some of them will never be available on DirecTV due to them being Netflix/Amazon/Hulu originals. Shouldn't the shows from Audience that have been shown in 4K before like Kingdom and Mr. Mercedes as well as Docs/Concerts be available anytime on demand rather than having to wait for them to be repeated again?
joe221 likes this.
post #1695 of 1891 Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
goodluck.
if they wont do it there is always the option of getting the units from solid signal or a similar place, replacing and returning the non 4ks.

of course this would cost you out of pocket, and im sure you dont want that

Directv did what they said after my install and swapped out my Genie for a Genie 2 and added a third mini for free a week after the install...

There was no big issue in doing so... just an hour on the phone while it processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
joe221 likes this.
post #1696 of 1891 Old 08-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

So, I'm at Costco and I overhear the DirecTV rep telling a potential customer, "If you get DirecTV with Sunday Ticket, you'll get every NFL game in 4k this fall."

I could not help myself. I had to step in and correct him. Am I an idiot or what?

post #1697 of 1891 Old 08-17-2017, 08:00 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 7558 Post(s)
Liked: 4223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
So, I'm at Costco and I overhear the DirecTV rep telling a potential customer, "If you get DirecTV with Sunday Ticket, you'll get every NFL game in 4k this fall."

I could not help myself. I had to step in and correct him. Am I an idiot or what?
Not for this particular topic, Don. For other topics, not so sure...
tmdorsey, DrDon and CCsoftball7 like this.
post #1698 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Even though you are killjoy when it comes that topic you did the right thing.
DrDon likes this.
post #1699 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:

While I'm positive not every NFL game will be in 4K, I would venture to say NBC will have NFL in 4K. That's pure speculation, but since ND football is in 4K, Soccer is in 4K, it only makes sense NFL SNF will follow suit soon.

***Disclaimer, I know NBC games are not a part of Sunday Ticket***

Sony XBR75X940C Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #1700 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
While I'm positive not every NFL game will be in 4K, I would venture to say NBC will have NFL in 4K. That's pure speculation, but since ND football is in 4K, Soccer is in 4K, it only makes sense NFL SNF will follow suit soon.

***Disclaimer, I know NBC games are not a part of Sunday Ticket***
[KILLJOY]
Don't know how you'd watch it. AFAIK, only one NBC affiliate is broadcasting in ATSC 3.0. Unlike Notre Dame, the NFL doesn't permit cable simulcasts of broadcast games (not to be confused with broadcast simulcasts of cable games). Ask any Sunday Ticket subscriber. Can't watch a game on NFLST that's being locally broadcast. You HAVE to watch the local affiliate's broadcast. The league protects local broadcasters' exclusivity for games originating on broadcast TV. (TNF and MNF, as noted, are different)

For DirecTV or Comcast or anyone to carry a live 4k feed of the game, they'd need the local NBC affiliate's permission. Don't know many that'd give that up for the number one NBC program they carry and their priciest advertising inventory. So, that leaves you with O&O markets only.

Then there's the issue of who gets the 4k feed. From what I can see, Comcast really isn't ready for it. And you KNOW they're not going to let a competitor such as DirecTV siphon off customers in markets that aren't 4k-capable.

If that's not enough, who's the official wireless carrier of the NFL.. the one Carrie Underwood points to, every week?
Who owns DirecTV? That's another issue.

So, why do we get 4k ND FB, Soccer and Olympics?
Notre Dame football is sponsored by AT&T. AT&T even has degree programs with the school.
Premiere League Soccer is sponsored by AT&T.
The biggest sponsor of the Olympics on Comcast/NBC is ...AT&T. Starting to see how those properties ended up in 4k on DirecTV? You'll also note that, for the Olympics, the 4k stuff is delayed so as not to anger the affiliates.

The fastest path to live 4k NFL, other than streaming, is if ESPN or the NFL fronts a 4k linear channel. And they're not gonna do that until all of their cable and DSS customers can carry it.

Until then, better hope a lot of affiliates switch to ATSC 3.0 in the next year or so.

As always, I will cheer louder than all of you if SNF in 4k is a reality, this fall. I'm hoping for it. Just noting the obstacles to it happening.

[/KILLJOY]
joe221 and jorgebetancourt like this.

Last edited by DrDon; 08-18-2017 at 12:25 PM.
post #1701 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
[KILLJOY]
Don't know how you'd watch it. AFAIK, only one NBC affiliate is broadcasting in ATSC 3.0. Unlike Notre Dame, the NFL doesn't permit cable simulcasts of broadcast games (not to be confused with broadcast simulcasts of cable games). Ask any Sunday Ticket subscriber. Can't watch a game on NFLST that's being locally broadcast. You HAVE to watch the local affiliate's broadcast. The league protects local broadcasters' exclusivity for games originating on broadcast TV. (TNF and MNF, as noted, are different)

For DirecTV or Comcast or anyone to carry a live 4k feed of the game, they'd need the local NBC affiliate's permission. Don't know many that'd give that up for the number one NBC program they carry and their priciest advertising inventory. So, that leaves you with O&O markets only.

Then there's the issue of who gets the 4k feed. From what I can see, Comcast really isn't ready for it. And you KNOW they're not going to let a competitor such as DirecTV siphon off customers in markets that aren't 4k-capable.

If that's not enough, who's the official wireless carrier of the NFL.. the one Carrie Underwood points to, every week?
Who owns DirecTV? That's another issue.

So, why do we get 4k ND FB, Soccer and Olympics?
Notre Dame football is sponsored by AT&T. AT&T even has degree programs with the school.
Premiere League Soccer is sponsored by AT&T.
The biggest sponsor of the Olympics on Comcast/NBC is ...AT&T. Starting to see how those properties ended up in 4k on DirecTV? You'll also note that, for the Olympics, the 4k stuff is delayed so as not to anger the affiliates.

The fastest path to live 4k NFL, other than streaming, is if ESPN or the NFL fronts a 4k linear channel. And they're not gonna do that until all of their cable and DSS customers can carry it.

Until then, better hope a lot of affiliates switch to ATSC 3.0 in the next year or so.

As always, I will cheer louder than all of you if SNF in 4k is a reality, this fall. I'm hoping for it. Just noting the obstacles to it happening.

[/KILLJOY]
So streaming isn't a simulcast? What's the difference?

My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #1702 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
So streaming isn't a simulcast? What's the difference?
Streaming rights for regular-season NFL games are negotiated separately. The affiliates can't bark about that, though more-and-more, I've noticed broadcast network streams including local affiliates' commercials. I don't watch SNF via stream, so I can't comment on that.

Will you get 4k SNF via streaming, this fall? Dunno. That'll depend on whether or not NBC can get enough $$ to cover the production upcharge. I'd think a 4k stream would be more likely on Thursday nights where Amazon, which already has a 4k backbone, has some of the streaming rights.... and sells a lot of 4k televisions.
CCsoftball7 likes this.

Last edited by DrDon; 08-18-2017 at 01:31 PM.
post #1703 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Even though it's a long shot there's still the possibility that NBC/CBS/NFL could do their Thursday night games in 4K and let AT&T sponsor it since the affiliates don't have any say so. I would imagine it could work just like the MLB games that the MLB Network Game of the Week broadcasts that are 4K.

I'm really hoping Amazon at least comes through for us on some 4K streams of the games though since like 95% of their original content is in 4K.
post #1704 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post
Even though it's a long shot there's still the possibility that NBC/CBS/NFL could do their Thursday night games in 4K and let AT&T sponsor it since the affiliates don't have any say so. I would imagine it could work just like the MLB games that the MLB Network Game of the Week broadcasts that are 4K.
It's all about the Benjamins.

Comcast is NFL Network's second biggest client and NBC pays for SNF and their slate of TNF games. That's a lot of money flowing into the NFL. By offering up a 4k channel only DirecTV can carry (for now), they step on the toes of Comcast/NBC and every other cableco unable to carry the game. Putting a 4k game on DirecTV would drive those systems' subscribers to DirecTV. It's not good business sense and would definitely come into play the next time NFLN carriage negotiations are underway. NFLN commands six times the per-subscriber fee MLBN gets. It's gonna be an issue.

Also, in the MLB analogy, cable systems are protected. Just like on MLBN, the 4k games are blacked out in markets where an RSN or TV station is carrying the game. To my knowledge, NO nationwide games were offered up in 4k.

It'd be ever-so-slightly-more-likely we'd get a 4k game with Sunday Ticket. But even for THAT to happen, AT&T would have to figure that the production upcharge is worth it. CBS and FOX have no dog in the hunt with 4k, yet, so they're not going to shell out. With HD, CBS and FOX (FOX Widescreen in the beginning) got Sony and other setmakers to help pay the freight. All DirecTV had to do was just tap in and carry the HD feed on ST. Now, AT&T/DirecTV will have to buy the production that'll only be seen in PART of the country. If I'm AT&T, I'm just going to wait for CBS or FOX to start doing 4k games for their clients who make the ATSC 3.0 switch. And that may not be for several years.
tmdorsey likes this.

post #1705 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's all about the Benjamins.

Comcast is NFL Network's second biggest client and NBC pays for SNF and their slate of TNF games. That's a lot of money flowing into the NFL. By offering up a 4k channel only DirecTV can carry (for now), they step on the toes of Comcast/NBC and every other cableco unable to carry the game. Putting a 4k game on DirecTV would drive those systems' subscribers to DirecTV. It's not good business sense and would definitely come into play the next time NFLN carriage negotiations are underway. NFLN commands six times the per-subscriber fee MLBN gets. It's gonna be an issue.

Also, in the MLB analogy, cable systems are protected. Just like on MLBN, the 4k games are blacked out in markets where an RSN or TV station is carrying the game. To my knowledge, NO nationwide games were offered up in 4k.

It'd be ever-so-slightly-more-likely we'd get a 4k game with Sunday Ticket. But even for THAT to happen, AT&T would have to figure that the production upcharge is worth it. CBS and FOX have no dog in the hunt with 4k, yet, so they're not going to shell out. With HD, CBS and FOX (FOX Widescreen in the beginning) got Sony and other setmakers to help pay the freight. All DirecTV had to do was just tap in and carry the HD feed on ST. Now, AT&T/DirecTV will have to buy the production that'll only be seen in PART of the country. If I'm AT&T, I'm just going to wait for CBS or FOX to start doing 4k games for their clients who make the ATSC 3.0 switch. And that may not be for several years.

FOX Sports has already started doing some 4k sports broadcasts with college basketball last year. There's talk of them branching out into doing some 4K college football games this upcoming season as well. 4K NFL from Fox may not be that far off...
post #1706 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 547
They supposedly used a lot of 4K cameras at the last super bowl. So if nothing else, you hope they slowly upgrade their production chain.

Only way they get it is if NFL owners want native 4K broadcasts in their stadium luxury suites or something.

But they're watching the game directly, not watching it on the screen.

Plus they're old men, to whom increased video and sound quality doesn't mean as much.

Otherwise, unless they find a way to monetize it, get more money out of it than they otherwise would make if they didn't go UHD HDR, they're not going to push for it.

If some other sports broadcasted in UHD HDR and they started drawing viewers away, then the NFL might act. Same for all the other sports leagues.

But there are probably millions of people who have 4K screens and they're mostly watching upscaled cable and maybe Netflix (and maybe not even 4K Netflix, since it requires paying more than the regular account), so no great clamor for native UHD HDR content, including sports.
post #1707 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FOX Sports has already started doing some 4k sports broadcasts with college basketball last year. There's talk of them branching out into doing some 4K college football games this upcoming season as well. 4K NFL from Fox may not be that far off...
They are also doing MLB games on FS1.

post #1708 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4K sports broadcasts are in trouble if Fox is leading the way ...
hobbs47 likes this.
post #1709 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Only way they get it is if NFL owners want native 4K broadcasts in their stadium luxury suites or something.
Which is exactly why the owners DON'T want 4k leaving the stadium.

Quote:
FS1 and FOX are two different things. FS1 is in the catbird's seat w/r/t 4k. They can make 4k productions of CFB, MLB, NASCAR and anything else they carry without worrying about stepping on toes. They don't charge nearly as much as ESPN or NFLN and they have Fox News Channel and ALL those O&Os. No cableco is going to argue. And any cableco with 4k capability is welcome to carry the simulcast. I think FS1 is the 4k sleeper network. BUT.. FS1 does NOT have NFL rights. That's FOX broadcast. And until a significant number of affiliates are broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 don't expect much from Big FOX. Fox O&Os have made NO indication of doing ATSC 3.0. Sinclair has, but there is discord between Sinclair-owned FOX affiliates and FOX. So, again, no 4k NFL on FOX anytime soon.

I found it very interesting that only FS1 NASCAR races got the 4k treatment. Not the FOX broadcast races, not the NBC broadcast races and not the NBCSN races. That really backs up my theory from earlier. Broadcasters won't permit simulcasts of the races they air. Comcast can't carry the NBCSN races in 4k, so unless AT&T has advertising leverage, it's not happening. If it were the AT&T Cup, all those NBCSN races would be in 4k on DirecTV

You'll also notice, the HD sports leader, ESPN, is sitting this one out, from a linear prospective. They're bleeding red ink. They can't go to cablecos and demand even higher carriage fees to front ESPN4k. ESPN3D was a disaster. They're not going to make that mistake, again. And, like NFLN, their biggest customers are Comcast, Charter, et al. Can't step on their toes by trotting out a network that only DirecTV and maybe Dish can carry. That certainly won't help when carriage negotiation time comes. So, ESPN is most likely sitting 4k out until it becomes detrimental they aren't doing it. FS1 could force that, but I doubt it. ESPN just doesn't have the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Otherwise, unless they find a way to monetize it, get more money out of it than they otherwise would make if they didn't go UHD HDR, they're not going to push for it.
This. Nobody gets more money if the games are in 4k than HD. The total number of eyeballs does not change, so 4k does not affect advertising revenue. People who don't watch NFL aren't going to suddenly become fans because it's in 4k. Likewise, NFL fans aren't going to stop watching because it's not in 4k. So, there's no financial benefit to producing games in 4k. Maybe if DirecTV can get another hundred bucks from 4k subscribers for Sunday Ticket. Or maybe if 4k set sales stall and Sony, Vizio and Samsung decide that dumping truckloads of money at broadcasters feet will work like it did for HD. But it most likely won't happen this fall.

Like I've always said. With television broadcasters and cable companies, there has to be a financial benefit to doing something or a financial detriment from NOT doing it. Right now with NFL games, there isn't either. (Amazon streaming notwithstanding)

NOW.. let Verizon stop it's association with the NFL and AT&T step in and all bets are off.
tmdorsey likes this.

Last edited by DrDon; 08-19-2017 at 04:59 AM.
post #1710 of 1891 Old 08-18-2017, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm, I won't pay to go see a 49ers game just for 4K.

NFL better hope they don't see a ratings decline like last year, between CTE and all the off-court troubles star players get into.

If they have flat or declining ratings going into the next TV contract negotiations, things might get interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page